Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Sweeping this traffic under the carpet is not the solution.

A core amount of the traffic on the quays is taxis, commercial vehicles and HGVs.
    Diverting this past the Brunner isn't going to help anything. The quays might be safer, but maybe we just moved the danger.

If I'm driving I avoid the quays, because of the traffic.

On the subject of HGVs, yesterday a cyclist and truck were in collision in summer hill. Someone in the article comments piped up that these HGVs should be using the port tunnel.

But from the photo the truck was a twin steer tipper or similar and there is a building site right at the location, so this crazy idea that trucks should vanish from the roads is so unrealistic. Particularly since the same people are clamouring for more urban living and less sub urban sprawl.

Hopefully a realistic balance can be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

The quays might be safer, but maybe we just moved the danger.

Isn't that the whole point - it's better to move the danger away from where more people are cycling and walking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Sweeping this traffic under the carpet is not the solution.

A core amount of the traffic on the quays is taxis, commercial vehicles and HGVs.
    Diverting this past the Brunner isn't going to help anything. The quays might be safer, but maybe we just moved the danger.

If I'm driving I avoid the quays, because of the traffic.

On the subject of HGVs, yesterday a cyclist and truck were in collision in summer hill. Someone in the article comments piped up that these HGVs should be using the port tunnel.

But from the photo the truck was a twin steer tipper or similar and there is a building site right at the location, so this crazy idea that trucks should vanish from the roads is so unrealistic. Particularly since the same people are clamouring for more urban living and less sub urban sprawl.

Hopefully a realistic balance can be found.

Studies have found that when you remove traffic lanes, or replace them with bus lanes, footpaths, or cycleways, the traffic tends to "disappear". The converse is also true - if you increase the capacity of a road then more traffic will simply "appear" to fill the new capacity, e.g. the M50. Here's a Wikipedia reference on the phenomenon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearing_traffic

Regarding HGVs, I think their days of being able to access urban centres are numbered. Frankly I think the idea that vehicles with such massive blindspots are allowed on our streets at all is outrageous, especially when there are viable alternatives available. A simple legislative solution (like the 5-axle ban) could prevent HGVs with unacceptably large blind spots from entering urban centres. See graphic below:

1_0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,742 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Incidentally, the RSA "vampire cyclists" video, which had to be faked because they couldn't get the cyclists into a blind spot when they shot from the cab, was done with a Scania, as I understand it. Explains why they had such trouble finding the blind spot.

Isn't that the whole point - it's better to move the danger away from where more people are cycling and walking?

And route it past a secondary school where people are walking and cycling.
    I can't blame the locals for being concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

And route it past a secondary school where people are walking and cycling.
    I can't blame the locals for being concerned.

Except for the 'Disappearing Traffic' studies cited in the Wiki article mentioned above https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearing_traffic

Moflojo wrote: »
    Regarding HGVs, I think their days of being able to access urban centres are numbered.

How so?
    The city centre has large tracts of undeveloped land. I believe we are going to see a spike in heavy traffic within the city centre.

A city safe standard should be introduced in Dublin for those trucks to bring them up to scanias example, but they will not disappear.

I specifically say Dublin because our government is too happy to let the EU or UK take the flak on providing safety standards.

How so?
    The city centre has large tracts of undeveloped land. I believe we are going to see a spike in heavy traffic within the city centre.

A city safe standard should be introduced in Dublin for those trucks to bring them up to scanias example, but they will not disappear.

I specifically say Dublin because our government is too happy to let the EU or UK take the flak on providing safety standards.

Apologies, I should have been more specific - I meant HGVs in their current form, as I alluded to with the blind spot comparison. There will still be a need for HGVs to enter urban areas, but only HGVs that meet the proper safety standards should be allowed to do so, with no exceptions. (The "licenses" that city centre stores have for allowing 5-axle delivery vehicles is bulls**t and a cop out in my opinion - they should be forced to use alternative vehicles.)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Moflojo wrote: »
    Apologies, I should have been more specific - I meant HGVs in their current form, as I alluded to with the blind spot comparison. There will still be a need for HGVs to enter urban areas, but only HGVs that meet the proper safety standards should be allowed to do so, with no exceptions. (The "licenses" that city centre stores have for allowing 5-axle delivery vehicles is bulls**t and a cop out in my opinion - they should be forced to use alternative vehicles.)

HGVs come in many sizes, lengths and formations, HGVs of some sort will have to be allowed into city centres at some stage or else the streets will be clogged up with fleets of white van men. |Yes artics are not practical for a city for both pedestrians and drivers. While nothing is been done here to change the HGV design to counter blind spots the UK are working towards changing the designs, layouts, and safety of city trucks to reduce the blind spots and even have the drivers sitting lower down for better visibility. Once they have something set in stone we will follow.
    There will still be a need for HGVs to enter urban areas, but only HGVs that meet the proper safety standards should be allowed to do so, with no exceptions.

Define an urban area? there are plenty of urban areas around Dublin that have industrial estates or manufacturing plants that trucks need to pass through. It would be impossible and unviable to keep HGVs out of urban areas

neris wrote: »
    Define an urban area?

The area currently covered by the 5-axle ban.

Other towns/authorities/councils are free to define areas that they wish to be free from 5-axle vehicles or HGVs that don't meet blind spot safety standards.

• Advertisement

Shane Ross has leaped into action on cycling (at least one area: regulating cycle rickshaws):

http://www.thejournal.ie/rickshaw-regulations-dublin-3099650-Nov2016/

According to an Irish Independent slice of gossip repeated as fact, "some" rickshaw drivers are selling Class A drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

Chuchote wrote: »
    Shane Ross has leaped into action on cycling (at least one area: regulating cycle rickshaws):

According to an Irish Independent slice of gossip repeated as fact, "some" rickshaw drivers are selling Class A drugs.

Its about time they were done for something. For a long time they have had immunity from being held accountable for their actions but hopefully this might shake them up.

Roadhawk wrote: »
    Its about time they were done for something. For a long time they have had immunity from being held accountable for their actions but hopefully this might shake them up.

What dastardly actions are these? Earning a living by cycling and providing a colourful service for tourists?

Shane Ross has leaped into action
    “I will consider the legislative proposals which emerge when this work has been progressed, following which I should be in a position to outline an indicative legislative timeframe,” said the minister.

Considering, exploring, indicating. That still sounds pretty much like his approach of the last six months.

sloth1-r3-wm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

What dastardly actions are these? Earning a living by cycling and providing a colourful service for tourists?

You see, that is the simplicity of the public's perception.
    The truth is, many moons ago, when the rickshaws were new on the scene, the gardai were giving them terrible hassle for cycling on Grafton street (a pedestrainised area) and the wrong way up Harcourt street (dropping people to coppers and the likes) and doing tours inside St Stephens Green and impeding the luas my cycling on the tracks and not having any lights on the rickshaws...etc...etc. Anyway, we were all told at Pearse St that the local business comity along with other business owners in the area had expressed great concern over the policing of these rickshaws and as a result to turn a blind eye on their actions. They are clearly good for businesses like restaurants and night clubs but thats about it...nothing colorfull about it.

So as i said its about time something is being done!

I've always thought "Class A" drugs is a bit of misnomer. Whenever I hear it I always think of "top quality" rather than the hardcore substances the title is supposed to describe.

Psst...kid...wanna buy some Class A drugs?

Oh boy, do I?! Only the best for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Roadhawk wrote: »

What 'immunity' did they have? Unless they are diplomats moonlighting, they have the same level of accountability as anyone else, including the 80% of motorists who break the speed limit.

What 'immunity' did they have? Unless they are diplomats moonlighting, they have the same level of accountability as anyone else, including the 80% of motorists who break the speed limit.

"Where can I bring you, citizen? Government Buildings is beautiful in the moonlight."
    "Ambassador, you are spoiling us."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Always good to see our man Ross with his finger firmly on the pulse of road safety.

The high death toll on our roads will clearly plummet once those rickshaw riding maniacs have their wings clipped :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

going by miriam lord's column, there's near open hostility to him at cabinet level now.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/miriam-lord-ross-s-rules-a-red-rag-to-angry-cabinet-1.2882703

• Advertisement

Funny letter in The Irish Times

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/when-judges-and-politicians-clash-1.2882473
    Sir, – I note that the Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport met the Taoiseach this week to discuss procedures for the appointment of members of the judiciary, following his prior comments regarding his dissatisfaction with the process. This week, I have been somewhat dissatisfied with both the reliability of public transport in Dublin, and the continuing lack of investment in infrastructure for cyclists within the capital. I hope that Mr Ross will soon return his attention to the portfolios assigned to him, or does he wish to relieve the Minister for Justice of hers? – Is mise,
    ALAN J BRODERICK
    Rathfarnham
    Dublin 14

It may well be true that he is longing to return to opposition. The diversion of the resources from cycling to the Luas cross-city works makes sense in terms of local politics and an election in the not-too-distant future. He can tell people on the door steps of Dublin Rathdown that he prioritised the Luas. Probably the only issue in his portfolio where he saw what he thought was a quick win in terms of keeping his seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

You can easily see the populist approach in his, and his "alliance", characterisation of their interactions with the rest of the government. Being told to do some work on your own job instead of bitching about someone else's is spun as 'arrogance' that they won't put up with much longer. I've no doubt we can look forward to hearing that he couldn't do anything because the rest of the government was dead set against him. Arrogant. Inflexible. Unwilling to listen.

My question is what has he even tried to do with regards to transport?

According to that Miriam Lord article, no-one is complaining about the work rate of the other Independents in the cabinet. Just Ross.

More about him in IT:
    Unless Shane Ross changes his tune pretty smartly Enda Kenny will have no choice but to sack him and take the chance that his minority government will be able to survive the fallout.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/stephen-collins-shane-ross-is-government-s-achilles-heel-1.2882177

Echoes the Miriam Lord column in suggesting the Independents themselves are baffled by his behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

tomasrojo wrote: »
    It may well be true that he is longing to return to opposition. t.
    Not until he qualifies for his Ministerial pension.

Someone here mentioned that that takes a bit of time. Two years? I can't remember.

EDIT:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=101245097&postcount=117

If the mainstream media are now engaged in a concerted attack on Ross, then another cycling protest would certainly get some mainstream coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's snowballing, Sunday Business Post have a front page splash concerning two critical articles they have on the "Paralysed populist"

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/203022/402514.jpg

A couple of Sunday papers have similar coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement