Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

they're quoting over €11 per day on "Garage/Parking/Misc. expenses".
    what do they define as miscellaneous expenses? maintenance is an obvious one, but my near ten year old car costs me a few hundred a year in maintenance. less than €500 anyway. if people are paying to park at work, that €4000 is over €18 a day in parking expenses, based on a 220 day year.

Someone told me that some or all civil servants have free or highly subsidised parking in Dublin city centre…?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i certainly mentioned at one point that there was a theory going round years ago that the plan to levy BIK on city centre parking spaces was shot down by civil servants who would have lost out on that.

i certainly mentioned at one point that there was a theory going round years ago that the plan to levy BIK on city centre parking spaces was shot down by civil servants who would have lost out on that.

BIK?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Chuchote wrote: »
    Someone told me that some or all civil servants have free or highly subsidised parking in Dublin city centre…?

Some. Definitely not all.
    BIK?

Benefit in Kind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

The spaces remain available to them after they retire, for weekend use at least.
    I was initially surprised to hear it, but when it comes to government such surprise doesn't linger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭buffalo

TDs and Senators have parking for life at Leinster House, that was news to me:
    the perk of free parking for life for all TDs and Senators, regardless of how long they ever served – is met by surface and underground cat parks to the front and rear of the building.

http://www.dublininquirer.com/2016/10/25/thomas-lets-consider-moving-oireachtas-kildare-street/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

That AA thing is interesting. Band A is a small car, I guess? I would have assumed myself that running a small car, not used for much more than a commute, would be about €5k, which isn't far off what is in their table.

(You get free parking in Dublin City Council parking zones when you use GoCar too, which takes care of a lot of the biggest cost in the table for Band A, and you don't have to deal with repairs or NCTs or anything like that. It's pretty handy. But it isn't outside your house, it's not suitable for a daily commute, and journeys are, by their nature, way less spontaneous.)

Deedsie wrote: »
    This week we had complaints about the amount of traffic on the M50 and Irish Rail being in financial turmoil. I didnt hear one person advocating for rail as and option for transporting goods rather than trucks? Small bits of cop on here and there and proper investment in large capital projects (Metro North&South and DART Expansion) would sort out these issues.

Yeah, I think we're really going to regret not going with the DART expansion.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Some do but it depends on the location. I know one area in Dublin 2 which has a small car park. Space is assigned based on seniority in service. The waiting list is currently 18 years for new entrants (assuming they do not resign/relocate/are moved).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

tomasrojo wrote: »
    That AA thing is interesting. Band A is a small car, I guess?

It's a very small car. Something like a Smart car.

For reference, a yaris is a typical B-segment car, the Golf is a typical C-segment.

That said, these sometimes get fudged. The newer minis are sometimes listed as A-segment, even though they're more like a C. Obviously B-segment cars also creep in there too. In reality, new a-segment cars are very rare.

• Advertisement

Some do but it depends on the location. I know one area in Dublin 2 which has a small car park. Space is assigned based on seniority in service. The waiting list is currently 18 years for new entrants (assuming they do not resign/relocate/are moved).

Wrong, wronger, wrongest. This is the kind of thing that buggers up the civil service when they look for a raise, the fact that there are these secret perks turns ordinary working people against them.

The GPO used to have a gigantic bicycle park in its centre, which could hold something like 300 bikes, and had security men posted at the entrance; you went in by cycling down a ramp in Prince's Street. I wonder what's there now; car parking, or maybe they've built over it?

Today's story is the Corpo highlighting the fact that they have taken away a rake of bikes abandoned on parking racks:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/council-removes-126-abandoned-bikes-from-dublin-city-centre-1.2845374
    Dublin City Council removed more than 120 abandoned bicycles from parking stands, sign poles, fences and other structures around the city centre over a six month period this year.
    The council said 126 bicycles (or part bikes) have been removed between March and September, including eight bikes that were removed from Drury Street car park.
    A report from the the council earlier this year said the demand for on-street cycle parking within the city is growing as the number of cyclists increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Wrong, wronger, wrongest. This is the kind of thing that buggers up the civil service when they look for a raise, the fact that there are these secret perks turns ordinary working people against them.

He's just after saying that very very few civil servants get this 'secret perk'. Perhaps the same proportion as get parking in private sector? Maybe you're paying too much attention to the O'Brien media.
    The government insists on having their offices in the most affluent streets in this country. Many civil servants, by economic necessity, live far away from these offices. Many are paid well below Average Industrial Wage and can't afford parking if it's not provided. Many bus it, some cycle, very few drive in and have a space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

I would have thought many employers provide parking for their staff? Is this really a "secret perq"? Particularly bearing in mind it is only extended to staff with 18 years loyalty to the employer? I can think of more pressing things to get annoyed about tbh. I don't get hot and bothered that Intel provide staff parking either.

Fian wrote: »
    I would have thought many employers provide parking for their staff? Is this really a "secret perq"? Particularly bearing in mind it is only extended to staff with 18 years loyalty to the employer? I can think of more pressing things to get annoyed about tbh. I don't get hot and bothered that Intel provide staff parking either.

Benefit-in-kind?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The GPO used to have a gigantic bicycle park in its centre, which could hold something like 300 bikes, and had security men posted at the entrance; you went in by cycling down a ramp in Prince's Street. I wonder what's there now; car parking, or maybe they've built over it?
    when was this? i used to be in and out of the GPO in 99/2000 and it was mainly car parking by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Wrong, wronger, wrongest. This is the kind of thing that buggers up the civil service when they look for a raise, the fact that there are these secret perks turns ordinary working people against them...
    Well in fairness I'd estimate that less than 5% of staff at the location have access to a space.

I'd be more concerned about the provision of fully expensed company cars in other sectors.

when was this? i used to be in and out of the GPO in 99/2000 and it was mainly car parking by then.

1980s; at that time the Secretary of P7T used to cycle in, as did most of the staff.

http://www.thejournal.ie/parking-court-galway-disqualified-3050507-Oct2016/
    A Galway judge is handing out driving bans to motorists who don't turn up to court for parking offences
    Just under 70 total bans were handed out by Judge Marie Keane.

A DISTRICT COURT judge has started to hand out driving bans to motorists who fail to attend court for parking offences.
    At Judge Marie Keane’s latest quarterly ‘Parking Court’, which was held at the end of September at Galway Courthouse, almost 70 drivers who failed to appear before her in person, were put off the road for between three and six months and faced fines of up to €350.

I hope these were parking in cycle lanes.

Meanwhile, from an interview with Bogota's cycle-lane-building mayor:

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/oct/17/enrique-penalosa-mayor-bogota-colombia-bus-traffic-un-habitat#img-4
    Cities that move by bicycle and public transport are more democratic, more egalitarian. In a “developing country”, a protected bikeway is not just a way of keeping the cyclist safe; it is a symbol that shows that a citizen riding a $50 bicycle is equally important to one driving a $50,000 car.

http://www.thejournal.ie/parking-court-galway-disqualified-3050507-Oct2016/

A Galway judge is handing out driving bans to motorists who don't turn up to court for parking offences
    Just under 70 total bans were handed out by Judge Marie Keane.

A DISTRICT COURT judge has started to hand out driving bans to motorists who fail to attend court for parking offences.
    At Judge Marie Keane’s latest quarterly ‘Parking Court’, which was held at the end of September at Galway Courthouse, almost 70 drivers who failed to appear before her in person, were put off the road for between three and six months and faced fines of up to €350.

I hope these were parking in cycle lanes.

Meanwhile, from an interview with Bogota's cycle-lane-building mayor:

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/oct/17/enrique-penalosa-mayor-bogota-colombia-bus-traffic-un-habitat#img-4

Will all be overturned on appeal though. Maybe even a JR instead since she proceeded in their absence and went on to apply a ban. That would cost the taxpayer significant legal costs to no proper purpose.

Disqualification is not an appropriate penalty for a parking violation imo, especially without hearing the drivers version of events.

Will all be overturned on appeal though. Maybe even a JR instead since she proceeded in their absence and went on to apply a ban. That would cost the taxpayer significant legal costs to no proper purpose.

Disqualification is not an appropriate penalty for a parking violation imo, especially without hearing the drivers version of events.

Yeah, our judges seem to have gone all strange all of a sudden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Parking the thing in a responsible manner is part of driving safely.

Parking the thing in a responsible manner is part of driving safely.

I agree, Just don't think it is sufficient to warrant disqualification.

Disqualification is very rarely applied to a speeding offence, unless it is particularly dangerous. Similarly careless driving or driving without reasonable consideration will not normally attract disqualification. Dangerous driving you could usually (not always) expect to escape disqualification unless you had previous. Same with no insurance.

Parking offence is far less dangerous than any of the above. It causes inconvenience rather than danger generally. disqualification seems excessive.

The Examiner's piece on cycling (http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/paul-rouse/freedom-machines-how-ireland-embraced-cycling-427864.html) misspells Arjay's name (it's Mecredy). Does any newspaper employ subs now?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I agree, Just don't think it is sufficient to warrant disqualification.

Disqualification is very rarely applied to a speeding offence, unless it is particularly dangerous. Similarly careless driving or driving without reasonable consideration will not normally attract disqualification. Dangerous driving you could usually (not always) expect to escape disqualification unless you had previous. Same with no insurance.

Parking offence is far less dangerous than any of the above. It causes inconvenience rather than danger generally. disqualification seems excessive.

I doubt evidence as to who actually parked the vehicles was given, rather the registered owner was prosecuted. So Disqualification from driving absent evidence of any actual driving is a fairly perverse punishment.

Today's Irish Times letters:

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/merrion-gates-solution-1.2853590
    Merrion Gates solution
    Sir, – As someone who has been stuck in long traffic jams on either side of the Merrion Gates in Dublin over the years it is with a fair degree of frustration (snip)
    The solution now being proposed by the National Transport Authority [involving an underpass, a new road and bridge] (News, October 26th) makes no sense whatsoever, especially when there is an objectively justifiable solution in placing a new road alongside the strand running from Poolbeg to Booterstown.
    And whereas the usual suspects will cry foul and claim that this is merely the eastern by-pass solution, perhaps they might consider the following: both the Croisette in Cannes and the Promenade des Anglais in Nice have four traffic lanes beside the coast.(snip)
    A new strand road, adjacent to the current, if tastefully done would add value to the area, and put an end to the Merrion Gate impasse.
    Additionally, it would allow for a cycle lane and pedestrian walkway, and more importantly better flood defences. A Dutch civil engineer would equally point out that it doesn’t present an insurmountable engineering challenge either.(snip)
    NIALL NELIGAN
    Sandymount

I'm not sure if this writer is envisaging a road raised above the sea level, since the tide would top any existing road - last week the seaside path was covered in sand and seaweed in some places.

I suspect that the residents of Strand Road mightn't be happy with this idea.

And would such a road affect the brackish marsh that is the Booterstown Slobs, the nature reserve?

http://irishcycle.com/2016/11/07/cyclists-safety-best-addressed-by-educational-campaigns-ross/
    Minister Shane Ross has said he has no plans for legislation to cover what the Fianna Fail spokesman for Dublin calls an “urgent need to address cycle safety”.

Despite high-level meetings between the Department of Transport and the Stayin’ Alive at 1.5 campaign, there’s no plan for a safe overtaking distance law.

New or improved infrastructure is hardly mentioned a response from Ross, showing he is continuing having the department focused a RSA-style approach, rather than being focused on the vision outlined in the National Cycle Policy of making our roads and streets cycling friendly.

Shane Ross says educational campaign needed for cyclist safety

I don't think he's even saying that. He says he's not going to do anything and the RSA are doing a great job, and their approach is the best approach. This handily ties in with his general approach of never making any decisions about anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭endagibson

I'm not convinced that Shane Ross knows that he is a minister.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I don't think he's even saying that. He says he's not going to do anything and the RSA are doing a great job, and their approach is the best approach. This handily ties in with his general approach of never making any decisions about anything.

Yup, he's in it for the pension is Mr. Ross. Talked a good talk once, but showing his true colours. He made his name as a rabble rouser, as many others did. Knew full well he'd either have his hands tied, or he'd be expected to coast along.

He left Fine Gael, but the Fine Gael has never left him. Sooner this government collapses the better, though that will probably mean a terrifying return of FF.

• Advertisement

I'm really disappointed in him. I'd thought that Shane Ross was one of the good guys.

Meanwhile, a hilarious blog:

https://rebelbreeze.wordpress.com/2016/11/07/defending-dublin-from-japanese-invasion/
    JAPANESE INVASION
    November 7, 2016 by rebelbreeze
    Manager of Dublin City Council Road Management Department

Dear Sir/ Madam,

Please allow me to extend my heartfelt thanks for your work on the city roads and more than that, the ingenuity displayed by your staff. Dublin and to an extent the whole of Ireland is being kept safe, thanks to the work of your Department, from Japanese Army invasion. Or any other cycle-born troops.

I must admit I was not expecting to find that people working for the local authority had studied the Imperial Japanese Army assault on Singapore in 1942 and who had learned from it. If only there were more like your staff in the rest of Ireland! But no, complacency rules. “Ah, sure it’ll do” is the order of the day…

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement