Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Rav 4 hybrid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

In my opinion no. It's for sat nav, leather and darkened windows at the back. I couldn't see much else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Ok so the Sol has
    18" alloy wheels - Not high on agenda as it will decrease fuel performance and increase replacement tire costs
    Rear Privacy glass - they can do that for me on Luna
    Heated Seats - I have in one car and I love it, would miss this
    Artificial leather - I have seen toyota "leather" seats and they can be awful
    Sat Nav - If they can put carplay onto the system then no need for a sat nav as I would use google maps anwyay

So for the above it costs 2k more. The tinted windows are 300 quid or so. SO I would be paying 1700 for heated seats.....not really worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Katie9

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Ok so the Sol has
    18" alloy wheels - Not high on agenda as it will decrease fuel performance and increase replacement tire costs
    Rear Privacy glass - they can do that for me on Luna
    Heated Seats - I have in one car and I love it, would miss this
    Artificial leather - I have seen toyota "leather" seats and they can be awful
    Sat Nav - If they can put carplay onto the system then no need for a sat nav as I would use google maps anwyay

So for the above it costs 2k more. The tinted windows are 300 quid or so. SO I would be paying 1700 for heated seats.....not really worth it

Thank you.
    Is privacy glass only needed to hide belongings in the back if I don't carry rear passengers often?!
    I wondered about the non-leather leather seats... You've answered that well!
    Would heated seats be available as an add on/cost a lot?
    Isthis Carplay you mention needed to access Googlemaps or does the system in the Luna access Google maps via mobile phone?
    Many thanks for your help. 😀

Katie9 wrote: »
    Thank you.
    Is privacy glass only needed to hide belongings in the back if I don't carry rear passengers often?!
    I wondered about the non-leather leather seats... You've answered that well!
    Would heated seats be available as an add on/cost a lot?
    Isthis Carplay you mention needed to access Googlemaps or does the system in the Luna access Google maps via mobile phone?
    Many thanks for your help. 😀

We have privacy or tinted windows all the time on car, the kids drive you nuts without it, reduces the sun for them....if you leave something in back you potentially can still see it if you look close

Heated seats I would guess will be a no but you would have to ask, that’s a factory install and if doing better to go up to Sol

CarPlay will let you use google maps via the media system. Without it you will be looking down at phone

The current media system included will use Bluetooth so you can talk/answer calls but really you want your app up on the screen....for a 2019 40k car it should be standard

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

We have privacy or tinted windows all the time on car, the kids drive you nuts without it, reduces the sun for them....
    Back when I was growing up I had these things called "sunglasses" :D
    CarPlay will let you use google maps via the media system. Without it you will be looking down at phone
    Well, CarPlay is specifically for iPhones. The Android equivalent is Android Auto. Unfortunately the current Toyotas sold in Europe don't support either of them (I think in the US they only have CarPlay).

However: You can use Android Auto directly on your phone with a decent dash/window mount, and I'd recommend it as it provides a better user interface for when you're driving.

• Advertisement

Back when I was growing up I had these things called "sunglasses" :D

Well, CarPlay is specifically for iPhones. The Android equivalent is Android Auto. Unfortunately the current Toyotas sold in Europe don't support either of them (I think in the US they only have CarPlay).

However: You can use Android Auto directly on your phone with a decent dash/window mount, and I'd recommend it as it provides a better user interface for when you're driving.

Try keeping a pair of sunglasses on a 1, 3 and 5 year old....I can guarantee after 2 minutes all pairs will be off with at least 1 of them broken in sh*t :P

Any of the cars I have seen if they have carplay then they will have android auto. If they have the ability to upgrade after sale to include carplay I would hope they will either add auto at same time or at a later date....

I have apple at the moment so that is why I am interested in that

There's always various assortments of window blinds for younger kids, plenty of people around here doing fine without tinted windows...

I believe there are several manufacturers that support CarPlay or Android Auto but not both - I wouldn't make that assumption. It's all licensing and compatibility testing bollocks.

There's always various assortments of window blinds for younger kids, plenty of people around here doing fine without tinted windows...

I believe there are several manufacturers that support CarPlay or Android Auto but not both - I wouldn't make that assumption. It's all licensing and compatibility testing bollocks.

Its a 40k jCrossover, the tinted windows cost 350 quid ......

If I am spending 40k on a Crossover might as well get what I want :D

Any of my other cars I have just got the windows tinted, couple of hundred quid but the tinted glass is always better

Only one I havent is eGolf, just never had time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Mach Two wrote: »
    Let us how you get on with mpg and the general running of it please. It would be much appreciated.

Hey - I'd sent this to Shefwedfan on Tuesday who asked about it in PM, so had the car about 20 days at that point. Bit of a brain dump, but hopefully you can take something from it.
    Loomis wrote:
    Picked it up on 30th January. Took forever to be 'processed' (whatever that means) as it had been in the country nearly two weeks before the dealer got it.

Honestly, most of what gets said on the threads go over my head in terms of the technical stuff, but I'm happy with the car for what I need it; commute to and from work Mon-Fri and round Blanch the weekends.

I think it looks far nicer than the previous model despite the small changes. The car itself is smaller, but they've increased the overall volume inside which is great, particularly getting rid of the lip at the back of the boot, and extra room in backseats. Went from leather to standard cloth and honestly don't miss it. Everything inside just feels a little more premium than the last car too; the gear box is a huge improvement, as is removing the handbrake. Controls on the steering wheel are better laid out, and they've hugely simplified the cruise control (it took far more co-ordination and concentration to turn on in the last one than you'd want) now it's just the press of a button.

The large touchscreen is really nice and massive improvement for the phone. I found the last one awful to use. It's much easier to use, better integrated, and has a fullscreen keyboard to look up contacts - you can add 4 to the Home screen to dial with a single tap.
    The 7inch display on the dash is huge by comparison to the last so you get way more info without having to switch modes. I like the ports being hidden away in front of the gearbox too so the cable for the dashcam can tuck in a bit. Two USB ports in back too if you need to charge a phone or tablet for the kids.

Can't remember if it was you or someone else who asked on the thread but said at the time it's not something I tend to track; but the average l/100km read 7.6 as of today, having driven about 560km. I guess that would change depending on your driving habits (I've literally been to/from work Blanch-Smithfield each day, round Blanch the weekends, with the only higher speed journeys the trip back from Sandyford and a trip down to Kells and back). Full tank when I collected, and still have a 1/4 tank left. Was 190 to tax for the year. Insurance is up in April, and wasn't charged anything extra to switch the policy. Hoping there's no change when it comes to renew.

Saw your comment about CarPlay - if true I'll be pretty pissed; sales guy said it's down to licensing etc but when sorted, it will be available as a free upgrade.

Not sure if that's what you were after lol shout if there's anything else. Personally, really happy with it. Feels like a step up on the last car in every respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭gotapaininmy

Loomis wrote: »
    Hey - I'd sent this to Shefwedfan on Tuesday who asked about it in PM, so had the car about 20 days at that point. Bit of a brain dump, but hopefully you can take something from it.

I don't understand the CarPlay thing, the new CR-V has it so why doesn't the Toyota have it? Honda are better at sorting out licensing issues? I read Android auto is not available because Toyota are arguing with google about exactly what data is collected etc. Again, Honda CR-V has it.

• Advertisement

Licensing and or certification issues, probably. I'm not certain on the process, but Toyota's software would have to be up to a certain standard for Apple to allow it to use their platform. But as you say about Android Auto, there could be problems in the other direction too.

Licensing and or certification issues, probably. I'm not certain on the process, but Toyota's software would have to be up to a certain standard for Apple to allow it to use their platform. But as you say about Android Auto, there could be problems in the other direction too.

Yes that's what I was reading. The Toyota software in Irish, UK and Australian cars doesn't meet the specs that Apple need to implement CarPlay but if they can do it in their cars in the US why not here, the UK and Australia? I thought Toyota were the ultimate "Lean" company, surely it costs more to have different versions of software installed on cars depending on what market they are going to?

There's probably the fact too that they won't be able to upcharge for their Sat Nav that quickly goes out of date if people can just use Google maps or Waze on the car.

The US satnav/headunit stuff is quite different to the rest of the world due to various different requirements, e.g. satellite radio (Sirius XM), HD Radio (their FM digital radio standard), possibly different RFI/EMI requirements for FCC certification, etc. They had apps available to connect to their cars (maybe just the Prius Plug-in) long before we did as well.

Similarly in Japan, this stuff is quite different and most people just seem to go for aftermarket headunits altogether.

I see the top spec Aygo has Carplay and Android auto capability (Headunit is supplied by Pioneer). That's a bit insulting to people who will spend 40k + on a Camry or Rav 4 and won't have this available.

Has anyone tested android on these cars? My mate says on his 2018 model he now has his text messages etc via the console which would suggests it works, he only switch from apple to android recently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Has anyone tested android on these cars? My mate says on his 2018 model he now has his text messages etc via the console which would suggests it works, he only switch from apple to android recently

That's just a normal part of the Bluetooth protocol.

Yeah, my 2012 Prius can do that, but who sends SMS any more? :p

I saw on one YouTube review of a UK version that it has "MirrorLink" which takes your phone display and displays it on the head unit. I'm not sure that they understood this correctly on the review because that's Carplay or Android Auto to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

I saw on one YouTube review of a UK version that it has "MirrorLink" which takes your phone display and displays it on the head unit. I'm not sure that they understood this correctly on the review because that's Carplay or Android Auto to me.

Mirrorlink is an older technology. Your phone may or may not support. You would have to check the list.

https://mirrorlink.com/phones

bp_me wrote: »
    Mirrorlink is an older technology. Your phone may or may not support. You would have to check the list.

https://mirrorlink.com/phones

No Apple on that at all!!! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mach Two

Loomis wrote: »

Is the stated l/100km include EV mode. Seems to be heavy on petrol at 7.6l/100 km.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭roosterman71

My Mrs. has 2.5k done on hers. Averaging 6.8l/100km in that. Mixed driving, no motorway. Mainly short spins to the family about 10 mins away

My Mrs. has 2.5k done on hers. Averaging 6.8l/100km in that. Mixed driving, no motorway. Mainly short spins to the family about 10 mins away

That's equals 41.5 mpg. The equation came up in US gals. first. So one would want to be careful whether its imp/U.S. gal. I expect that includes the EV mode of travel too. Not too bad considering it's mostly short journeys. Thanks for that. How do ye find the vehicle in general.

The trip computer is taking all driving into account, so it includes any electric-only driving. Your source of energy is petrol anyway, so it wouldn't make much sense not to include this.

That's equals 41.5 mpg. The equation came up in US gals. first. So one would want to be careful whether its imp/U.S. gal. I expect that includes the EV mode of travel too. Not too bad considering it's mostly short journeys. Thanks for that. How do ye find the vehicle in general.

It's grand. It's the top model (Sol I think it is with the 1.8l). Finish is good inside and it looks cool in there. Performance wise, it's not nippy. Yer waiting for the transmission to kick in when ya floor it so no nippy overtaking moves. Boot is tiny too

It's grand. It's the top model (Sol I think it is with the 1.8l). Finish is good inside and it looks cool in there. Performance wise, it's not nippy. Yer waiting for the transmission to kick in when ya floor it so no nippy overtaking moves. Boot is tiny too

Is the boot tiny in all the models do you know. I would have thought that with a petrol engine that size that the acceleration would be good.

Is the boot tiny in all the models do you know. I would have thought that with a petrol engine that size that the acceleration would be good.

I've no idea about the boot, but I'd imagine they are all the same. The bodies are no different really on the different models.

Boot is decent, don’t know exact size but I was surprised how big it was, compared to the likes of Qashqai etc

Boot is decent, don’t know exact size but I was surprised how big it was, compared to the likes of Qashqai etc

Boot is comparable to my 2014 CRV.

On the Carplay/Android auto thing, I e-mailed their customer service, no reply. Got on to them on Twitter, no reply (so I've taken to just trolling them at every opportunity, childish I know). Dealer told me that it will be introduced but doesn't know when.

• Advertisement

Is there some way of contacting Toyota Europe on that issue? Toyota Ireland are probably clueless on the engineering side of things.

Advertisement