Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Rav 4 hybrid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    What mileage on the 171? 2 wheel drive?

I would guess the UK are getting first dips on the new RAV. With the move towards petrol/hybrid in UK I would guess demand is high.

Don't have the exact figure in my head - think it's about 18k. Can double check for you, but it's definitely under 20k. And ye, 2 wheel drive.
    It was the demo model so had a couple of extras on top of the Luna Sport model; full leather interior and heated seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Is this one of those Toyota Self Charging Hybrids?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Teeley

astrofluff wrote: »
    I think people have a misconception of how to use EV on a Toyota Hybrid. The battery and electric motor is to compliment the petrol engine, by moving the car without having to excessively rev/stop-start the engine. The EV function is more for moving the car a very short distance without the use of a petrol engine - e.g. you have you car parked in an underground car park, and you want to move it without using petrol (stealth mode :)), or sitting in traffic to creep along, this function is so helpful with it being an automatic, and the computer decides what to use, battery or ICE, or both.

Sure, you're not going to get more than 1km from EV mode. I wouldn't be driving it like that using up the battery power, then needing to regen/recharge with the petrol engine. I could see the battery health being impact by a persons driving style. If you want the best economic way of moving around, use the ECO mode.

What happens in the ECO mode? I drive a Rav 4 at the weekends..always wondered what that mode was for. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mach Two

What is the car tax on a Rav 4 hybrid compared to a fully electric/petrol engine hybrid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Loomis wrote: »
    Don't have the exact figure in my head - think it's about 18k. Can double check for you, but it's definitely under 20k. And ye, 2 wheel drive.
    It was the demo model so had a couple of extras on top of the Luna Sport model; full leather interior and heated seats.

What of ltr/100km you get out of it?

• Advertisement

Mach Two wrote: »
    What is the car tax on a Rav 4 hybrid compared to a fully electric/petrol engine hybrid.

It was about 200 to tax my 171.
    Shefwedfan wrote: »
    What of ltr/100km you get out of it?

Not something I've tracked to be honest.

It was about 200 to tax my 171

Is this a Rav 4 petrol hybrid.

Mach Two wrote: »
    It was about 200 to tax my 171

Is this a Rav 4 petrol hybrid.

It is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

I've a deposit down on the new model which should be ready soon, so Toyota in Sandyford will have my trade in for sale if that's of any interest.
    It's a 171 Luna Sport Hybrid.

The two dealers I spoke with said supply if very limited (at least here anyway); they'd only be getting 3 initially, and then no more til April or possibly the summer. Not sure what the reason is for it though.

Did you go for the sport model ? I saw a pic of a one in 'silver blade'(colour) and looked the biz.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

80sDiesel wrote: »
    Did you go for the sport model ? I saw a pic of a one in 'silver blade'(colour) and looked the biz.

Current one is Luna Sport. One I've ordered is standard Luna.
    For the new model, they've switched Sol and Luna Sport models; Sport now being higher.
    We did a comparison between what I have and the new Sol, and it's practically the same. Lost leather (which was only added cause it was a demo anyway) and something else I wasn't too fussed about.
    Car's been in the country over a week and still waiting on Revenue to get their finger out before it can be registered so I can get my hands on it.

• Advertisement

For the new model, they've switched Sol and Luna Sport models; Sport now being higher.
    We did a comparison between what I have and the new Sol, and it's practically the same. Lost leather (which was only added cause it was a demo anyway) and something else I wasn't too fussed about.
    Car's been in the country over a week and still waiting on Revenue to get their finger out before it can be registered so I can get my hands on it.

Congratulations on your purchase. Hope everything goes well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Teeley wrote: »
    What happens in the ECO mode? I drive a Rav 4 at the weekends..always wondered what that mode was for. Thanks

Turns down throttle response and reduces the air conditioning a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

That's surprising, I would have thought that all Toyotas using the Terra-Aura-Strata-Luna-Sol version made the Sol the highest. But I see they call it just 'Sport' on their website - which makes me think there'll subtle differences between the Sol and Sport. One might have something the other doesn't, and vice versa, kinda like the two top Lexus (F-Sport and Premium).

Now I know the Camry has Sol and Platinum - which blows my earth to sun analogy out of the water.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

astrofluff wrote: »
    That's surprising, I would have thought that all Toyotas using the Terra-Aura-Strata-Luna-Sol version made the Sol the highest. But I see they call it just 'Sport' on their website - which makes me think there'll subtle differences between the Sol and Sport. One might have something the other doesn't, and vice versa, kinda like the two top Lexus (F-Sport and Premium).

Now I know the Camry has Sol and Platinum - which blows my earth to sun analogy out of the water.

Sales guy was saying it was more of a marketing thing where the name 'Sport' could put off some people at the lower end thinking they don't need it and would opt for a different grade, and people who did want 'sport' were put off that it was lower down the pecking order.
    So they basically took what Sol was and have included a few bits and stamped it with 'Sport'.

Very cool - any idea what the extra bits entail. I always like trying to get the best trim, I have two UK Excel trims for the Auris and Prius.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

From what i read the Sport has gloss black cladding ( side/rear/front) instead of normal black and side mirrors in gloss black rather than in the
    car colour. Also has a black gloss roof. Black Alloys.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Spec and pricing attached

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭scooby77

AWD drive ( extra rear electric motor) gets good reviews for improved road holding. Been told should be here for 192. Based on those prices say will be pricey. My guess €45k

scooby77 wrote: »
    AWD drive ( extra rear electric motor) gets good reviews for improved road holding. Been told should be here for 192. Based on those prices say will be pricey. My guess €45k

Your MPG will suffer because of AWD.....

Let us how you get on with mpg and the general running of it please. It would be much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Can someone explain the need for a 2.5l engine in these things?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Why not? If it can be made efficient while providing adequate power, why does displacement matter? Gone are the days when we were buying pathetically underpowered cars because we were being taxed on engine size.

Why not? If it can be made efficient while providing adequate power, why does displacement matter? Gone are the days when we were buying pathetically underpowered cars because we were being taxed on engine size.

Sure why not put in a 5l then? The consumption is much higher with a 2.5l than a smaller engine. My question, maybe badly phrased, was to do with the need for a 2.5 or would a smaller turbo'd engine be better suited?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

My current car is 2.4L, it has less emissions than my previous 1.6L and appears to be equally economical.

Sure why not put in a 5l then? The consumption is much higher with a 2.5l than a smaller engine.

Fuel consumption is not necessarily directly proportional to engine displacement. It's an Atkinson cycle engine, which is more efficient than a traditional Otto cycle petrol engine, but has lower power density. You're not adding significant weight with say a 2.0 vs. 2.5 4-cylinder aluminium block engine. A 5 litre engine is probably going to be a V8, which will be huge in comparison.
    My question, maybe badly phrased, was to do with the need for a 2.5 or would a smaller turbo'd engine be better suited?

I don't think turbos are well suited to the duty cycle of petrol hybrids, as oil temperature and oil pressure are more critical for reliable operation of a turbocharger. It'd be another thing to go wrong - the current Toyota hybrids generally do not go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,627 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'm still waiting for my dream hybrid.
    A 5.9litre 6 cylinder cummins diesel with a plugin hybrid and a 80kWh+ battery pack.

Allowing for cheap running but the ability to roll coal when needed.

Come on toyota, you have a deal with Cummins in the US for the Tundra!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Katie9

Hi folks, hoping to test drive Rav4 Hybrid this month. Which trim seems to be the best package? I drive 320 mile round trip weekly, mainly motorway and primary roads, with less city/town driving. Am I correct in assuming that the battery-powered driving cycle will only kick in during town/city driving, that I won't see eco-benefit on motorways? 😀

Katie9 wrote: »
    Hi folks, hoping to test drive Rav4 Hybrid this month. Which trim seems to be the best package? I drive 320 mile round trip weekly, mainly motorway and primary roads, with less city/town driving. Am I correct in assuming that the battery-powered driving cycle will only kick in during town/city driving, that I won't see eco-benefit on motorways? ��

Our CH-R is on full battery below 30kph. Out on the national roads, and more so on the motorway it's on the engine 100%

Engine stops when off throttle such as slowing down (regens the battery) or when going down hills might only use the battery when accelerator is pressed (you'll know when the EV light comes on).

• Advertisement

Katie9 wrote: »
    Am I correct in assuming that the battery-powered driving cycle will only kick in during town/city driving, that I won't see eco-benefit on motorways? ��

No, it's not as simple as that. It's a series-parallel hybrid, so the electric motors and petrol engine can either work together at the same time or independently of each other. The Atkinson cycle engine is not very powerful on its own (but very efficient), so the electric motors are there to provide assistance when needed.

And there's still regenerative braking at any speed (to an extent).

Advertisement