Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Part worn tyres

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I think TyreLand say their part-worns are x-rayed. Last time I was there however, all they had were winter tyres.

I saw them fit two winter tyres on one side of a customer's car; leaving two regular tyres on the other side. Customer was not informed or consulted about this.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Esel wrote: »
    I think TyreLand say their part-worns are x-rayed. Last time I was there however, all they had were winter tyres.

Yeah, right :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

kerten wrote: »
    /rant

You know it is not always between part worn michelin or brand new linglong only. Everybody is allowed to buy brand new decent brand tyres in Ireland. Oh if they are so expensive then maybe you should review your motoring choices and go for a model with smaller tyres to be able to drive safely for yourself and others on the road.

For the ones who checks part worns visually and says they are good part worns, how do you check integrity of steel mesh in the tyre ? X-ray vision ?

/rant over

For there to be damage to the steel in the tyre, there should at least be some damage visibly present in the rubber, sidewall wear if from under inflation or damage if in the case of a crash/impact.
    I heard on the radio tyreland do test their tryes electronically, dont know how, but to make that kind of statement on the radio and for anyone anywhere to make a counter claim that its not true, well its tantamount to defaming them, I wouldnt take the risk, I take it at face value they are doing it, If I bought a part worn tyre off them, Id certainly ask about it.
    I doubt they could make that claim if they were doing nothing, otherwise they are risking an awful lot.

IMO, the end result is, either you arent happy with part worns/concerned about their history (dont buy them) or you are comfortable with buying them /happy with their history/trust your experience to see whats right and whats not (buy them).
    In my actual experience on the road, new cheap no name brands are significantly worse than part worns that have no issues especially in the wet or poorer conditions.

I have never had issues with grip or skidding especially in the wet on good brand name part worn tyres.
    I did spin on a cheap brand that I bought new, I was very lucky worse didnt come of it. I had other close calls in wet conditions on cheap brands, understeer or back end skidding out, only ever on no name cheap brands and never again, I thought back then I was on new tyres suitable for sale and use here, never again. No such problems on any tyre since.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

So tyres that Germany say are dangerous are absolutely fine here?

Perhaps we should review our current limit and cut out these dangerous imports?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

So tyres that Germany say are dangerous are absolutely fine here?

Perhaps we should review our current limit and cut out these dangerous imports?

I find it hard to belive tyres they consider dangerous are being exported for use, I doubt theyd allow that, you dont know for start if they are considered dangerous (just that they have different allowance for wear limits) .
    Ive gotten virtually brand new continentals, as someone else mentioned, they had those rubber nubs from manufacturing still on them, one had a puncture in the tread, no different than getting a puncture here, they were great tyres

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Esel wrote: »

I saw them fit two winter tyres on one side of a customer's car; leaving two regular tyres on the other side. Customer was not informed or consulted about this.

He might have already had winter tyres on the other side to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

colm_mcm wrote: »
    He might have already had winter tyres on the other side to be fair.
    He didn't, though. I saw them.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 7,248 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Ordinarily I wouldn't buy part worns to replace a set of tyres, but if I damage a tyre say by cutting the sidewall, I wouldn't have a problem with getting one. Especially if the tyre has a good bit of life left.

I try to match the wear with the remaining good tyre on the same axle too.

Advertisement