Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Part worn tyres

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭corks finest

grogi wrote: »
    coylemj wrote: »
    There is a perfectly good explanation for where a lot of these tyres come from - if you trade in a car to a main dealer, he will get new tyres put on it before he puts it on his forecourt for sale. The tyres that come off those traded in cars end up as 'part worn' tyres and a lot of them are perfectly fine.

Did you ever buy a preloved car from a dealer? Did it come with brand new tyres? :D

The typical dealers would not even pump the tyres, not to mention swap them - unless absolutely necessary.
    My Japanese import arrived, garage put 4 new ones on

coylemj wrote: »
    There is a perfectly good explanation for where a lot of these tyres come from - if you trade in a car to a main dealer, he will get new tyres put on it before he puts it on his forecourt for sale. The tyres that come off those traded in cars end up as 'part worn' tyres and a lot of them are perfectly fine.

Did you ever buy a preloved car from a dealer? Did it come with brand new tyres? :D

The typical dealers would not even pump the tyres, not to mention swap them - unless absolutely necessary.
    My Japanese import arrived, garage put 4 new ones on
    He does it with all the cars,all Japanese imports in cahir,co Tipperary

• Registered Users Posts: 28,741 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've used both and I do high mileage.

I've often walked into a tyre place to be offered some never-heard-of brand new, or a branded tyre with decent thread left on it.

I always go for the latter. All this anti-part worn stuff is presumably from people who immediately change all 4 tyres (and the spare) when they buy a second car, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

There is simply no point in getting part worn tyres anymore. The demand for them was understandable when the big traditional European makers had a strangle on the market.

But with the super value in tyres available these days by avoiding those brands, it much better all round to buy new.

If you look at what you get in a new tyre, full tread, no unknown history, from the likes of Linglong, Wanli, or Milestone, the difference is so small it makes part worn a bad deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

i think most part worns must come from accident damaged cars. Where else would they come from? I think there's a chance they could be damaged and would avoid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Isambard wrote: »
    i think most part worns must come from accident damaged cars. Where else would they come from? I think there's a chance they could be damaged and would avoid.

I heard somewhere that they come from German/Dutch vehicles which are required by their laws to be disposed of early.
    Not sure how true that tale is however!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

If the price of new tyres wasn't so high there wouldn't be a market for partworns brother was quoted 210 each for bridgestones a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

a friend of mine was in the tyre business up till recently..
    he used to import part worns by the 40ft load
    he got them in germany and such, places where it is law to change your tyres by a certain date to winter tyres, so there is a glut of summer tyres.

they are not from crashed cars or stuff like that

used them myself for years and years, alway get a good brand and inspect, look inside and out before they put on your car and you will be fine..

robtri wrote: »
    a friend of mine was in the tyre business up till recently..
    he used to import part worns by the 40ft load
    he got them in germany and such, places where it is law to change your tyres by a certain date to winter tyres, so there is a glut of summer tyres.

they are not from crashed cars or stuff like that

used them myself for years and years, alway get a good brand and inspect, look inside and out before they put on your car and you will be fine..

He would say that.

I don't buy that. Most people surely would just keep a second set of wheels and swap them spring and autumn.

Even if what he said was true, could anyone guarantee the tyres weren't from a crashed car? there's a lot of rogues operating in the tyre business, they look just the same as the kosher dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭1874

enricoh wrote: »
    Used to work at tyres 20 years ago n used to sell loads of remoulds. They didnt just blow out, they could just disintegrate while driving!
    I was told to tell the customer i never saw it happen before. Lethal.
    Part warns are ok if u know a bit about tyres, most punters know nothing and get any crap going.
    remoulds are a different story, but this was an enquiry about part works, i wouldn't trust a remould.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I previously said why I wouldn't buy part worms,
    (Poor value for money

and the situation where I would buy them.
    ( Winter tyres on a second set of rims, for viruses very limited use)

But .. I never mentioned that in would buy them, if I was selling the car, and just needed something that looked like it had some grip.. but I'd also consider ditch finders.. if I was off loading the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,421 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

He would say that.

I don't buy that. Most people surely would just keep a second set of wheels and swap them spring and autumn.

Even if what he said was true, could anyone guarantee the tyres weren't from a crashed car? there's a lot of rogues operating in the tyre business, they look just the same as the kosher dealers.

Its well known that the majority are imported from Germany.
    The legal tyre limit in German is much higher than here at 3mm.
    Ours is 1.6mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

He would say that.

The truth is always in between.

The customer would not keep the tyre over winter (for majority of them it costs money - as they live in appartments and storage is short) if it had a season or so left in it.

In other words: they are still road legal, but at the end of the road.

mikeecho wrote: »
    (Poor value for money

and the situation where I would buy them.

But .. I never mentioned that in would buy them, if I was selling the car, and just needed something that looked like it had some grip.. but I'd also consider ditch finders.. if I was off loading the car.
    Wow,that's not right bud

The truth is always in between.

The customer would not keep the tyre over winter (for majority of them it costs money - as they live in appartments and storage is short) if it had a season or so left in it.

In other words: they are still road legal, but at the end of the road.

yes the truth is somewhere in the middle but how do you tell you are getting a safe tyre? for the sake of a quite small saving, you may as well buy new.

There is simply no point in getting part worn tyres anymore. The demand for them was understandable when the big traditional European makers had a strangle on the market.

But with the super value in tyres available these days by avoiding those brands, it much better all round to buy new.

If you look at what you get in a new tyre, full tread, no unknown history, from the likes of Linglong, Wanli, or Milestone, the difference is so small it makes part worn a bad deal.

Is that a P*$$take? you're joking right! looked up a few of those, tyre specific Im sure, first review of milestone average review 15% for braking/grip in wet or dry, had never heard of them before. I think in general, these are the tyres you should be avoiding.

mikeecho wrote: »
    (Poor value for money and the situation where I would buy them.

Id put part worns on a car before Id do that which is the equivalent to if someone bought a good brand new and they were part worn on the car, but you'd put ditch finders on for that reason and openly admit it? which would likely be dearer than a good brand part worn?? that you'd even consider for this reason tells me your opinion/judgment is questionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

yes the truth is somewhere in the middle but how do you tell you are getting a safe tyre? for the sake of a quite small saving, you may as well buy new.

Of course. And that's my advice as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,413 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

1874 wrote: »
    Is that a P*$$take? you're joking right! looked up a few of those, tyre specific Im sure, first review of milestone average review 15% for braking/grip in wet or dry, had never heard of them before. I think in general, these are the tyres you should be avoiding.

Don’t feed the T R o L

• Registered Users Posts: 22,069 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Part-worn tyres thread

TROL

Groundhog Day

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 51,162 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

He's getting slow though, took 5 pages before his usual reply. Moral of the story is all tyres are the same - round and black. The engineers at Linglong are testament to that. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭obi604

So the overall general consensus is that part worn tyres are excellent.

Part worns can be good condition, good brand, almost new,

that article is one report with a tyre that had 3 improper repairs carried out on it, unscrupulous seller.

1874 wrote: »
    Part worns can be good condition, good brand, almost new,

that article is one report with a tyre that had 3 improper repairs carried out on it, unscrupulous seller.

yes but how do you tell whether what you've got is safe and if it's from a scrupulous seller?

eyeball mk1
    Ive been shown tyres and Ive always asked to see them, I look at the inside and out, very quick and handy

i don't believe, however much I looked at a tyre that I could tell if it had been stressed by a high speed accident, or had other damage.

i don't believe, however much I looked at a tyre that I could tell if it had been stressed by a high speed accident, or had other damage.

Any scoring, marks, bulges, cuts, repairs, wear, deterioration, all quite easily visible,
    Just like a new set of brake pads, I would not test them at 70 on the first outing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

I got a full set of grade A part worns before, were so new they still had the little rubber spike things still on them from manufacturing.

You have to remember the garage itself has a reputation and has paid money for the tyres so they'll be examining them too.

i don't trust too many dealers in the tyre business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

/rant

You know it is not always between part worn michelin or brand new linglong only. Everybody is allowed to buy brand new decent brand tyres in Ireland. Oh if they are so expensive then maybe you should review your motoring choices and go for a model with smaller tyres to be able to drive safely for yourself and others on the road.

For the ones who checks part worns visually and says they are good part worns, how do you check integrity of steel mesh in the tyre ? X-ray vision ?

/rant over

Advertisement