Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed or distance?

Options
  • 23-01-2019 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭

Ok, so starting this log to try and keep myself honest on my training. Not sure if it will work but worth a try. I might also find out what I'm doing wrong. :)

Right, in relation to background I'm on the wrong side of 45 and have been running for the last 14 months or so. I'd classify myself as a non-competitive-but-secretly-competive runner.

The intention this year is to start training properly as my previous training was very scattered and usually not enough for any distance event meaning I'd be pretty fatigued coming towards the end of a race. Average weekly distance would have been 15 - 20K. I do also cycle so average cycling distance per week would be just over 100K. Cycling seems to help running fitness but not vice versa so cycling would usually be favoured by me.

Current PB's:
    5k | 22.30 | Aug '18
    10k | 47:57 | Sep '18
    10 mile | 1:18:47 | Sep '18
    HM | 2:07:45 | Jun '18

Goals for 2019:
    5k | Sub 20:00
    10k | Sub 43:00
    10 mile | Sub 1:12:00
    HM | Sub 1:45:00
    Marathon | Sub 3:30:00

I got runner's knee on both knees back in October so dialled the running right back to just weekend parkruns. The knees seem to be fine now so I'm starting up training for a hilly 10 miler in April. I'm currently following the intermediate plan here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Week 1 - Day 1
    30mins easy running.
    The roads around where I live are a bit hilly. I decided I'm just going to use these rather than looking for flat routes as it should benefit me later on. Since I usually run as-fast-as-possible-without-blowing-up it was a change to just run easy.

Week 1 - Day 2
    20 minutes tempo
    "Tempo" is still a slightly woolly concept for me. Looking at a few youtube videos and it seems that there isn't a universally accepted definition either. I'm going with "comfortably hard" and about 80% of max effort. My usual parkrun flat-out-without-blowing-up has my HR going at 178 BPM. This effort had it at 161 BPM which I think seems perhaps right.

Week 1 overall:
    || Monday || Tuesday || Wednesday || Thursday || Friday || Saturday || Sunday
    Plan || Rest || 30 min easy || 20 min tempo || Rest || 30 min cross train || 30 min easy || Long run: 3 miles
    Actual || Rest || 30 min easy || 20 min tempo || Rest || 4.1 miles @ 75% of 5k pace || too busy so no time to run :( || 3 miles @ 90% of 5k pace

I thought the long runs were supposed to be at a slow pace but this plan suggests that they be run at race pace. :confused:
    No issues to report although on Friday I could "feel" my knees. No pain but they were letting me know they were there. Running in the rain is also interesting.

Anyhow, plan for week 2:
    || Monday || Tuesday || Wednesday || Thursday || Friday || Saturday || Sunday
    Plan || Rest || 30 min easy || 20 min intervals || Rest || 30 min cross train || 30 min tempo || Long run: 3 miles

I need to calibrate how "easy" an easy run should be. I naturally incline towards running at close to my fastest sustainable pace so I need to actively remember to slow down when I'm not concentrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

You need to do actual long runs - i.e. 90 minutes or so. 3 miles is not a long run. Build up to them slowly. Your endurance and times will improve a lot as a result.

Singer wrote: »
    You need to do actual long runs - i.e. 90 minutes or so. 3 miles is not a long run. Build up to them slowly.
    Yes, I totally agree - 3 miles is not long and just took 24 minutes. The longest run on this plan is 9 miles which will probably take 70 minutes at race pace.

I'm a bit paranoid about the knee problems returning so I'm just following the plan as closely as possible at the moment and trying to resist temptation to add more to it. My training load for running over the last few months was only somewhere between 3 and 6 miles per week so I want to let the legs gradually ramp up and not make my usual mistake of getting over-enthusiastic and try to do too much too soon and then getting injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Yes, I totally agree - 3 miles is not long and just took 24 minutes. The longest run on this plan is 9 miles which will probably take 70 minutes at race pace.

I'm a bit paranoid about the knee problems returning so I'm just following the plan as closely as possible at the moment and trying to resist temptation to add more to it. My training load for running over the last few months was only somewhere between 3 and 6 miles per week so I want to let the legs gradually ramp up and not make my usual mistake of getting over-enthusiastic and try to do too much too soon and then getting injured.

The 9 mile long run should be closer to 90 than 70 minutes for you! Good call on ramping up nice and slow.

• Advertisement

Monday - Rest day
    Tuesday - 30 min easy was the plan - 34min 6.3K @5.23/km 120m elevation gain
    Wednesday - Was supposed to be 20min internals - instead did 11.6K @5.22/km 177m elevation gain
    Thursday - Rest day
    Friday - was supposed to be 30 min cross train - instead did 23min @4.42/km with 5 min cool down flat with only 35m elevation gain
    Saturday - was supposed to be 30 min tempo - instead parkrun @4.38/km and knocked 10 seconds off my PB (which itself had been a bit of an outlier :))
    Sunday - supposed to do 3 miles easy but feeling a couple of very slight twinges so went for a 3 mile walk instead

So 28.6km running done this week. Am pretty happy with progress. What I was most happy with is that my latter kms in the 5k runs are now faster than before. Previously the pace would drop off quite a bit with the 4th and 5th km usually being about 20 seconds slower per km. Now they are more consistent so already gaining a bit more endurance. Quite encouraging after just two weeks. :)

Monday - Rest Day
    Tuesday - 8K Easy pace 5.43 128m Elevation
    Wednesday - 20min intervals 10x30sec - Tough
    Thursday - 55K cycle
    Friday - Rest Day
    Saturday - parkrun 5K - shaved another 14 seconds off my parkrun PB
    Sunday - 65K cycle (Was going to follow with a 4 mile run later in the day but got totally frozen in the morning cycle so figured I'd enough done :o)

So only about 20K running done this week but figure the 120K cycling is worth 12K of running and something's gotta give if I fit both in.

I'm considering switching the 10 mile training plan I'm currently doing for a Hal Higdon intermediate half marathon plan as my current plan doesn't really have long runs and I'd like to add that in.

So I ditched the Bupa 10 mile Intermediate Training Plan and replaced it with the Hal Higdon Intermediate 2 Half Marathon plan.
    I've also jumped a week to week 5 so that the final week corresponds to my planned race day.
    Reasons for the change - wanted a bit more mileage, wanted to run more days per week and planning to do a HM in June and no harm in preparing early.

Monday - 40 min cross training - did a 70min walk.
    Tuesday - 6k run - easy pace
    Wednesday - 7x400 5K pace - ok but last couple were that bit tougher/slower
    Thursday - 5K - easy pace
    Friday - Rest day
    Saturday - parkrun 5K - 10 seconds slower than last week but wasn't pushing it as much
    Sunday - 55K club cycle
    Monday - 13 K LSR

Things appear to be going well. Still find it difficult to keep the easy pace easy as I find I develop a rhythm which is faster than I intend to run.
    The weighing scales suggest nothing much has changed but clothes are getting a bit too loose and spare tyre is visibly disappearing.

Upcoming events: 10K race end of March, 10mile race - early April

Tuesday - Was travelling all day so no time to run :(
    Wednesday - 7K easy run - took it nice and handy - averaged 5.22 min/km and average HR of 145bpm
    Thursday - 40min tempo run - pretty sure I didn't do this right - average pace of 5.11 min/km with average HR of 145 bpm. Meant to start easy and gradually accelerate. It was a bit difficult to judge as the route I took had a hill at the mid point. Also I was running at night on rural roads for the first time so sometimes pulled in when a car appeared. Still I felt good at the end and ploughed on when I probably should have been easing off - 8K in total
    Friday - 5K easy. Took this one very easy - average 5.50 min/km with average HR of 135bpm on a somewhat hilly route
    Saturday - parkrun day - ran my local parkrun which I hadn't run in 3 weeks and knocked 42 seconds off my PB bringing it down to 21.53 - average 4.30 min/km with average HR of 165 Very happy to see the results of the training paying off. :)
    Unfortunately I have noticed very slight knee pain at rest. No pain when running though so I'm going to ease back a little on training this week to see if that helps
    Sunday - Rest
    Monday - should be a 10K run but going to skip it in light of knee pain

So 25km in total since last Tuesday. Not as much as last week but perhaps I increased mileage a bit too much last week. Overall very happy with how things are going. Would be happier without the knee twinge but hopefully that won't get worse. Times and fitness are going in the right direction and endurance has definitely improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Well done on the improvements made so far. I will just repeat what Singer said earlier about slowing down the easy runs. Most people would have ~2 mins per mile/ 1:20 per km between their tempo pace and their easy/slow run days. Keep the really easy days really easy and it will make it more manageable for you to increase the distances you run.

• Advertisement

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Well done on the improvements made so far. I will just repeat what Singer said earlier about slowing down the easy runs. Most people would have ~2 mins per mile/ 1:20 per km between their tempo pace and their easy/slow run days. Keep the really easy days really easy and it will make it more manageable for you to increase the distances you run.
    I'm probably doing my maths wrong. I reckon my tempo pace is about 4.50 min/km (comfortably fast) which is 12.4kph so my slow run pace should therefore be 11.2kph which corresponds to 5.22 min/km which seems a bit fast for a slow run. I've gone wrong somewhere here, right?

I'm probably doing my maths wrong. I reckon my tempo pace is about 4.50 min/km (comfortably fast) which is 12.4kph so my slow run pace should therefore be 11.2kph which corresponds to 5.22 min/km which seems a bit fast for a slow run. I've gone wrong somewhere here, right?

Yep I think you have. Try this training paces calculator as a starting point. http://www.runfastcoach.com/calc2/

Enter your 5k PB and see what paces it gives you. The easy and very easy will seem very slow but are well worth getting used to.

Out of curiosity what are you basing your calculations for easy pace on?

Yep I think you have. Try this training paces calculator as a starting point. http://www.runfastcoach.com/calc2/

Enter your 5k PB and see what paces it gives you. The easy and very easy will seem very slow but are well worth getting used to.

Great, thanks. I find I have to concentrate to keep it slow. If I start daydreaming I drift into a rhythm that's faster than I intend especially as my training routes are hilly and therefore undulating. I'll try harder to keep the slow runs slower.

Err.......I didn't do any calculation to determine easy pace :o. I just went on feel i.e. this pace seems relatively easy and I'm not out of breath or knackered so I can keep at for 30 min or so and feel fine when I get home.

Err.......I didn't do any calculation to determine easy pace :o. I just went on feel i.e. this pace seems relatively easy and I'm not out of breath or knackered so I can keep at for 30 min or so and feel fine when I get home.

Your easy pace should be a pace you think you could run at for a day!

Tuesday - 100K cycle. Felt comfortable at the end. These usually leave me a bit wrecked.
    Wednesday - 7.5KM easy run. Avg pace - 6.25km/min - Avg HR 132bpm
    Thursday - Intervals - 8x400 @5K pace second with 90 second recovery - Looking back at the results I ran these 30s faster than 5K pace. Felt great after. Not sure how long the recovery time should have been so settled on 90. Probably could have shorted that a bit to 60 seconds.
    Friday - 5KM - easy run. Avg pace - 6.28km/min - Avg HR 136bpm
    Saturday - Volunteering this week so no parkrun run - rest day
    Sunday - Too much rain and snow to venture out - rest day
    Monday - 15KM - long run - started slow with first 10K at about 5.50 or 6min/km and sped up to about 5min/km for the last few kms. Avg pace - 5.34 - Avg HR 145

Total run for the week - 35.8KM
    Knee pain hasn't gone away and is slightly worse. Maybe gone from 1/10 to 2/10 on the pain/irritation scale.

This week went somewhat awry in terms of the training plan.
    Tuesday - Rest day
    Wednesday - 5K @5.02min/km HR 152 (I should have been doing 7.3K at an easy pace but I wanted to suss out a different parkrun route)
    Thursday - 5K @4.28min/km HR 155 (Should have been doing a 40min tempo but wanted to see how fast I could run this route)
    Friday - Rest day with about an hour of cycling
    Saturday - Parkrun 4.8K @4.29min/km HR 159 - knocked 15 seconds off previous PB
    Sunday - Too wet and miserable to venture out
    Monday - 16.4K @5.15min/km - Started slow but decided to run to rhythm/feel. Pushed on then after 5 miles and took advantage of some downhills to push hard for home. Probably could have done another few miles if I wanted to so quite happy with the endurance and didn't feel wrecked at the end.

Total distance this week - 31.5K
    However I'm pretty happy with where I'm at and still have another 4 weeks of training before the Cobh 10 miler and the sub 20 5K by end of year is starting to look less like a pipe dream and more like something that might actually be achieved.

The wheels came off quite a bit this week. I just didn't stick to the plan at all and am actually surprised I got most of the mileage in as I wasn't really "feeling it" at all this week.
    I'm going to change from kms to miles as I've a 10 miler coming up followed by a half marathon so maybe it makes more sense to think in miles for the moment.

Tuesday 12th
    Rest day.

Wednesday 13th
    || Distance || Time || Pace || Elevation || AVG HR ||
    || 5.53 mi || 49:08 || 8:53 min/mi || 157 m || 151 bpm ||
    This was supposed to be an easy run and that was the plan. I confused myself with my watch which I think was showing pace in min/mile but showing distance in kms :confused:. In the end I just ran it by feel which was too fast. The last mile or so is downhill and I relaxed and built up speed and at the end could feel my left hamstring go quite tight which I think was as a result of banging down the downhill. Not really ideal.

Thursday 14th
    Crap weather. Unintentional rest day.

Friday 15th
    Crap weather. Unintentional rest day.

Saturday 16th
    || 3.02 mi || 22:49 || 7:34 min/mi || 62 m || 142 bpm ||
    +Plus 60min cross training cycling.
    parkrun day. Cycled to parkrun in the rain. Soaked. About half way through the run decided to relax back to fast training instead of pushing all-out. Pushed hard for the last km when I was about to be overtaken and didn't want to be :D. Finished just over a minute outside my PB which surprised me as I'd expected to have dropped more time. Still felt a bit wet and miserable and wondered why I'd bothered with it today.

Sunday 17th
    || 5.54 mi || 46:59 || 8:29 min/mi || 155 m || 147 bpm ||
    This was one of those "I don't care what the plan says, I'm just gonna go out and run" runs. Probably junk miles for all I know. Felt the hamstring complaining a bit so eased off on the downhill sections.

Monday 18th
    || 10.00 mi || 1:26:25 || 8:38 min/mi || 237 m || 149 bpm ||
    I should probably have run this one slower too. Felt quite tired at mile 8 but got a second wind to get home. Last week I felt I could have run another mile or two no bother but this week I was happy to stop bang on 10.0 miles. Hamstring said hello but by the end it felt fine.

Overall mileage for the week - 24.1 miles.

Hopefully better weather this week will bring some renewed enthusiasm and I'll stick to the plan better. Maybe it's time to join a running club too.

Hamstrings do most of the work on up hills. If you ease off on downhills you are primarily saving the quads.

Makes sense. It's just only on the downhill that I feel any twinge - mainly from that "slapping effect" when I let gravity take over on the downhill and my feet are just banging off the ground with the shockwave being transmitted up the leg.

Anyway it's just a minor twinge. If I stopped running for every slight sprain I'd still be on the couch part of the "Couch to 5K" :D.

Went for a slow 3 miles this morning and all feels fine.

• Advertisement

Mostly back on track this week with more emphasis on keeping the slow runs slow.

Tuesday 19th
    || 3.22 mi || 33:08 || 10:17 min/mi || 58 m || 128 bpm ||
    +90 min cross-training cycling
    Short recovery run after the previous day's 10 mile run. Kept the pace slow. All good and nothing to report.

Wednesday 20th
    || 5.18 mi || 52:00 || 10:03 min/mi || 95 m || 132 bpm ||
    Another slow run concentrating on keeping the pace slow. All good.

Thursday 21st
    Rest day.

Friday 22nd
    || 4.97 mi || 45:05 || 9:04 min/mi || 99 m || 139 bpm ||
    This was meant to be a 45min tempo run. Plan was to split it into 3 sections - 15 slow with 15 min faster and a final slow 15 minutes. It didn't go to plan. First 15 mins were slow but a bit hilly and about half way through the fast section the body and brain weren't really on board so pretty much abandoned with slow walk/run home. My first "abandoned after starting" session. I'm not gonna dwell on it. Just wasn't really in the mood and hopefully that's it out of my system for a while.

Saturday 23rd
    || 3.07 mi || 21:59 || 7:10 min/mi || 23 m || 153 bpm ||
    Parkrun day! A spot of parkrun tourism involved as I revisited a parkrun that I've done a few times. Knocked over a minute off my previous PB there so happy out. Normally with parkruns I tend to run the first 2K faster than the rest so tend to get passed out towards the latter half of the course by those who run a more constant pace. This week I got passed but managed to catch and overtake a few who had passed me. I know it's not a race but it's still satisfying. :D

Sunday 24th
    Cross training - 60K cycle

Monday 125th
    || 11.02 mi || 1:32:28 || 8:23 min/mi || 242 m || 161 bpm ||
    Long run. I'm almost sure I'm running these two fast. Part of the reason for this is trying to convince myself I've enough energy for the 10 mile at race pace so I've been running it closer to race pace than I probably should.

Total distance this week: 27.46 miles.

Upcoming races: 10K - 31st March, 10 mile - 7th April

Got a bit of cycling in this week which meant some of the running training was sacrificed. Trying to find the balance here will be a work in progress.

Tuesday 26th
    || 3.21 mi || 31:38 || 9:52 min/mi || 56 m || 131 bpm || Short easy pace run. Can't remember anything about it so presumably it was all good.
    +30 min cycling.

Wednesday 27th

Rest day.
    +30 min cycling.

Thursday 28th
    Rest day from running. Was supposed to to intervals but did the 100K cycle instead.
    Cycling:
    || 64.60 mi || 4.24:10 || 14.7mph || 1,1169 m || 137 bpm ||
    Friday 29th
    Rest day.

Saturday 30th
    || 2.99 mi || 21:57 || 7:20 min/mi || 59 m || 158 bpm || parkrun day again! Back to my local run. I was supposed to take this easy as the race was the following day and I started with good intentions but then picked it up again. I think that was my second best time at my local parkrun.
    Cycle:
    || 31.45 mi || 1:58:13 || 16mph || 491 m || 138 bpm || Went for a 50K cycle in the afternoon. Probably not the best idea too with the race the following day.

Sunday 31st
    10K race. UCC BHAA Carmel Lynch race.
    || 6.2 mi || 46:26 || 7:29 min/mi || 87 m || 159 bpm || It was nice to be back in Cork and see a few familiar faces and also meet up with my running buddy/nemesis for the race. Ok, a new pb for the 10K knocking a minute and a half off my previous best time. Strangely I wasn't really happy with that as was hoping for a bit better - perhaps unrealistic expectations on my part. I was relatively comfortable for the first half which has a few hills in it but suffered a bit in the final few kms. Should have rested up a bit more the previous day.

Monday 1st
    || 3.22 mi || 33:14 || 10:19 min/mi || 60 m || 127 bpm || Short recovery run. Felt good, easy and relaxed.

Tuesday 2nd
    || 13.59 mi || 2:05:26 || 9:14 min/mi || 252 m || 141 bpm || Time for the long run. It was supposed to be 12 miles but I tacked on a little bit extra. Started at a slow pace with most of the hills front-loaded on this run. The wind was at my back blowing me along so it felt really easy. Just kept jogging along nice and comfortable. When I was coming up to about the 10 mile mark I figured I could probably break my half-marathon PB so picked up the pace. It helped that this was the downhill section of the route and even though the wind was now against me I was handily able to better my previous half marathon PB (which admittedly was quite slow).

My training plan has a 30 min tempo run and 2 mile run left for the week. I'm half thinking of scrapping them and just doing an easy parkrun on Saturday.

Total distance this week: 26.0 miles.

Upcoming races: 10 mile - 7th April

Ok, not very much running done this week. My plan had me tapering down in advance of my race but, since I overdid it a little (I think), prior to last week's race I thought I'd add in a bit more rest myself and see how it worked out.

Saturday 6th April
    || 3.02 mi || 22:24 || 7:26 min/mi || 55 m || 155 bpm ||

Local parkrun. The plan had been to go around at a moderate pace and save the racing for Sunday.And I stuck to this for the most part except for the last km where I tried to catch a couple of overtakers. I caught both but then one then put on his own push for home and I didn't try to keep with him.

Sunday 7th
    || 10.05 mi || 1.16:05 || 7:34 min/mi || 162 m || 156 bpm ||

The Sonia O'Sullivan Cobh 10

This was the race I was training for over the last few months. I'd heard so much about the hills on this course that they had formed a fearsome reputation. However they weren't that bad in the end. Not too steep and not too long. And the course had a lot of downhill sections along with one quite long downhill at about the 5.5 mile mark.
    It was only at the start line that I really started thinking about how I wanted to run this race. My previous 10 mile PB had been 78 minutes and I figured if I could hit that again it would be a reasonably good day out - given that the course is not flat. So the plan was to start with the 80 minute pacers and see how it goes.

I felt a little sluggish starting off but even so the 80 min pacers quickly fell behind and I found myself up with the 75 minute pacers. The first mile or so has quite a bit of downhill in it and I found myself passing out the 75 min pacers to keep my rhythm. After one and half miles it flattened out a bit (possibly slightly uphill) and pretty soon I could hear the thunder of feet behind me and sure enough the 75 min pacers re-appeared and glided past. I thought for a second about keeping with them but figured it was far too early to start pushing myself and, in any case, I wanted to keep something back for these hills. The first hill duly arrived and I just took it easy up it and it wasn't too long. Since I knew the first hill was the steepest I wasn't too worried when the second came along a mile or so later. Again it looked a little bit worse than it was although the ambulance had arrived to tend to a runner as I was was cresting that hill. He didn't look too bad and was assuring them he was ok. I presume a sprained ankle or something as he was lying on the ground with a blanket over him awaiting the paramedics.

At this point I was slowly moving up through the field making a bit of progress and somewhere around the 5 and a half mile mark we had a turn left and what seemed like quite a long downhill section. I let gravity take over here and somewhat flew downhill. It was back onto flat ground after the right turn at the bottom with about 3 and a half miles to home. I did feel a bit warm here and ran on the left side of the road which was in shadow and a bit cooler.

It was at about this stage that I felt a bit tired and was going through my head how much was left. Luckily at this point I was passed by a runner who was running strongly with good form but running just slightly faster so I could keep up on their shoulder. I kept there for the next couple of miles until my shoelace came undone :(. Just as well there was only half a mile left.

I hadn't bothered to look at my watch for a few miles at this point so I was pretty amazed to see the clock showing 1:15.xx as I approached the finish. I knew I wouldn't pass through before it rolled over to 1:16.xx but thought perhaps the chip time correction would leave me in the 1:15.xx band and so it proved.
    Very happy to knock nearly 3 minutes off my 10 mile time and not feel half as wrecked as the last time I ran a 10 miler when the last 3 miles had been misery.

Next planned race up is the Cork half marathon which is a while away.

Okay, I haven't updated this in two months. Yikes!
    Below is a data dump that I don't expect anyone to read. It's more for the trends than anything else and the total distances each week (highlighted). On some weeks the total running hours has plummeted to only about 3 miles. The pattern seems to be that these weeks have been preceded by a high cycling load. These cycles usually leave me with sore quads which take a day or two to recover from. That in turn means less running and less long runs.

In that 8 week spell there was only two weeks (not counting half marathon week) that I was running close to the same mileage that I had been running the previous weeks - roughly 25 to 28 miles a week.

The half marathon crept up on me and it was only the week before that I started putting in some longer runs again. What I noticed from the first run (after the reduced mileage) was that the easy runs seemed to be harder than previously. Maintaining the slower paced run now required more effort.
    Usually I would speed up for the last mile or two home and that kick wasn't really there without putting in more effort than I wanted. By the third or fourth run though those cobwebs were showing signs of being cleared out and I was progressing closer to what I had been a couple of months ago.
    I'd describe the difference as feeling light on your feet as opposed to feeling heavy on your feet. It's subjective I guess.
    Half marathon report to follow........

Week Ending Sunday 14th April - Total Miles Run 12.37 + Cycled 101.48

||Date || Distance (miles) || Time || Avg HR (bpm) || Avg Pace (min/mile) || Elev Gain (m)||
    ||11/04/2019 || 3.21 || 00:32:16 || 125 || 10.03 || 59||
    ||13/04/2019 || 3.07 || 00:22:59 || 156 || 07.29 || 22||
    ||14/04/2019 || 6.09 || 00:53:11 || 142 || 08.44 || 155||

Week Ending Sunday 21st April - Total Miles Run 2.97 + Cycled 21.12

||Date || Distance (miles) || Time || Avg HR (bpm) || Avg Pace (min/mile) || Elev Gain (m)||
    ||20/04/2019 || 2.97 || 00:23:08 || 160 || 07:48 || 63||

Week Ending Sunday 28th April - Total Miles Run 27.88 + Cycled 93.31

||23/04/2019 || 3.22 || 00:27:34 || 147 || 08:34 || 58||
    ||25/04/2019 || 8.04 || 01:09:53 || 147 || 08:42 || 157||
    ||26/04/2019 || 7.07 || 00:57:34 || 152 || 08:09 || 158||
    ||27/04/2019 || 2.21 || 00:19:23 || 142 || 08:47 || 33||
    ||27/04/2019 || 2.98 || 00:21:26 || 164 || 07:11 || 57||
    ||27/04/2019 || 4.36 || 00:42:20 || 142 || 09:43 || 58||

Week Ending Sunday 5th May - Total Miles Run 3.13 + Cycled 61.22

||04/05/2019 || 3.13 || 00:22:43 || 167 || 07:15 || 27||

Week Ending Sunday 12th May - Total Miles Run 12.41 + Cycled 125.86

||06/05/2019 || 6.22 || 00:52:30 || 172 || 08.26 || 136||
    ||11/05/2019 || 3.02 || 00:21:17 || 165 || 07.03 || 58||
    ||11/05/2019 || 3.17 || 00:23:23 || 162 || 07.22 || 34||

Week Ending Sunday 19th May - Total Miles Run 6.23 + Cycled 89.4

||15/05/2019 || 3.22 || 00:28:34 || 140 || 08:52 || 58||
    ||18/05/2019 || 3.01 || 00:22:02 || 162 || 07.20 || 59||

Week Ending Sunday 26th May - Total Miles Run 24.71 + Cycled 87.52

||20/05/2019 || 7.01 || 01:04:15 || 144 || 09.10 || 154||
    ||21/05/2019 || 9.09 || 01:21:33 || 143 || 08.58 || 235||
    ||23/05/2019 || 8.61 || 01:14:40 || 151 || 08:40 || 226||

Week Ending Sunday 2nd June - Total Miles Run 25.11 + Cycled 43.98

||30/05/2019 || 6.04 || 00:52:34 || 145 || 08:42 || 153||
    ||30/05/2019 || 2.86 || 00:35:50 || 125 || 12:32 || 37||
    ||01/06/2019 || 3.02 || 00:22:48 || 159 || 07:33 || 57||
    ||02/06/2019 || 13.19 || 01:42:14 || 157 || 07:45 || 110||

So nine weeks are remaining in the Boards DCM Novices plan and we are into the tough stretch with all the longest long runs.

Monday - Rest Day

Tuesday - 4 mile easy. Took this one a little handier than usual. 10.28min/mile with avg HR of 125. The HR trace looked a bit odd so not sure if I could trust it.

Wednesday - 6m PMP with 1m warm up and 1 m cool down. This worked out too fast for PMP with 8.22min/mile the average pace. HR came in at 151 avg. This was about 20s/mile too fast as I took the early uphill sections too fast.

Thursday - 4m easy. I hadn't plotted out this route in advance accurately so it turned out to be 4.5miles. Pace was too hot as well at 8.59min/mile and HR averaging 137.

Friday - Rest Day

Saturday - parkrun + LSR

I had booked the John Buckley Cork City Ten Miler before I knew I couldn't race it. It's too close to the Charleville Half so might be a bit risky in advance of DCM. So I decided to go anyway and have it as part of my LSR.

I stayed up in Cork the night before and booked into a cheap hostel. This backfired when I ended up sharing a room with a guy that snored like a chainsaw being started up. Result - about two and half hours sleep! I won't be staying in any hostels before DCM. And as an aside - what kind of person books shared accommodation when they know they snore so loudly?

I popped along to Glen River parkrun to tick it off the list of parkrun tourist visits. I managed to confuse myself by switching the watch from miles to kms and ran faster than planned - 7.52mile/min with 150 avg HR. Nice, friendly group and a course with a short, sharp hill at one end that's done twice.

The plan for the LSR was to run the 9 miles first and then make it back to the start in time for the 10 miler. Luckily the race registration was open early and they had a section for bag drop off. I met a runner I knew beforehand and got delayed slightly chatting to her. I got changed and noticed I'd acquired blisters on my heels after walking around all day. Nothing for it but to apply some bandages and hope they didn't cause an issue on the run - they didn't.
    I dropped off my bag, put on my race number as I didn't know what else to do with it and got going.
    I stopped at the petrol station to get water to fill my water bottle and add a zero tab. A few hundred metres up the road it felt like it was raining on my back which was odd so I stopped and my bottle was leaking. I hadn't tightened the top of the bottle properly. I had half thought about maybe carrying that bottle/bag with me at DCM and filling it up as needed. It's too time consuming and not that easy so at least that plan is scrapped.

With the bottle tightened properly off I went - now behind schedule as a result of stopping for water and fixing the leaking so I sped up a little to make up time. The first few miles were handy enough. Coming up to Blackrock I met a walker who informed me that I was most likely in the lead as I was the first runner he saw with a race number. Instead of protecting my lead I maintained my pace. :pac: The initial plan was to go out 4.5 miles and double back to the start line but instead I continued on the Blackrock-Mahon walking path and then back via the old railway line. I reckoned it wouldn't be too far off 9 miles and I could make up the extra with a bit more added on. When I ran this last year I set off too fast (5k pace) and really started to struggle when the walkway met the Mahon footbridge. That long stretch was quite painful but this year it was a lot more comfortable at the easier LSR pace.
    Once again I met the walker from earlier who reassured me that I was still in the lead which came as a great relief. :pac:
    I arrived back at the start line with about 8.5 miles done and jogged back to the petrol station to get another water bottle. Filling my own water bottle and adding a zero tab is still too messy to do on the run but at least I made sure the top was back on fully this time.
    I met a few guys I knew at the start and had a brief chat then I had to decide what pacers to stick with and decided on the 100min pacers and the race kicked off.
    We started with a loop around Centre Park road and Monahan road and already I was drifting ahead of the 100min pacers.
    I wasn't really feeling great and at about mile 4 (my mile 13) decided to stop and take some water and a gel. I had drifted well ahead of the 100min pacers and decided to wait and join back up with them. It took about 3 minutes for them to reach me and I started running with them again out towards Blackrock castle. I found myself drifting ahead of them again and saw the marker for 5 miles (my 14th mile) and decided to head off. Whether it was the rest stop, the water or the gel, I was full of beans again. The field had broken up into small groups and I jumped from group to group making, what felt like, good progress.
    Soon we were back on the old railway line and the thoughts of sambos and cake back at the finish line was driving me on. I was wondering if there would be any left and so the last three miles were the fastest of the set. Chip time was just under 1.32 - a good 14 minutes slower than last year. Then it was back to City Hall for the grub which, luckily and despite the queues, was still there.

Sunday - 2m recovery

Headed out for a short recovery run after watching the match. Took it very handy as feeling a few effects from the day before. Pace 10.32m/mile with HR of 127.

8 weeks remainging on DCM trainng.

Monday 2/9 - Rest day

Tuesday 3/9 - 4m easy - Still feeling a few aches after the LSR so took things very easy. Comfortable run with 10.47m/mile and avg HR of 127.

Wednesday 4/9 - 8m easy - 10.24m/mile with avg HR 130. Perhaps a bit hilly with 183m elevation.

Thursday 5/9 - 4m easy with strides - 10.25m/mile and avg HR of 129 so very similar to the previous day.

Friday 6/9 - Rest day

Saturday 7/9 20m LSR - 10.31 min/mile 134 avg HR
    No parkrun this week as was volunteering which also meant a late kickoff for the LSR. Swapped out music for podcasts also as sometimes I reckon the songs make me run faster.
    The first 8 miles were on basically and out-and-back route which was dead flat. I was tracking HR rather than pace and tried to keep it at about the 130 mark. This also kept the pace slow. I took the first gel at 10 miles and kept the second one for the 15 mile mark. The latter half of the route is a bit more undulating and I was getting a bit tired or bored at this stage. As a result the last few miles were a bit quicker.
    For some reason I thought there was three 20 mile LSRs on the plan but there are just the two. I ran this one with the shoes I had planned to run the marathon in (pegasus 35). Towards the latter half of the run my feet were feeling noticeably sore (subjective) so I may use the brooks ghost 11 instead even though I think of the pegasus as the "faster" shoe. I'll try the ghost 11 on the remaining 20 miler. I find the slower running "stompier" for lack of the correct technical term and probably different than how I run at PMP. Again that may just be subjective.

Sunday 8/9 3m Recovery - 11.38min/mile AVG HR 121
    Tried keeping the HR in the 110s and 120s. Didn't really look at pace at all. I don't know if there's any benefit in going too slow. Probably not.

So nine weeks are remaining in the Boards DCM Novices plan
    8 weeks remainging on DCM trainng.

Hmm.... nobody noticed I was a week out there. I think I got away with it. :D

Anyone just 6 weeks remaining until DCM!! :eek:

A mini taper this week ahead of Charleville Half Marathon.

Monday 9/9 - 3m Easy - Actual 3.42m at 10.12/mile AVG HR 123 - Easy, gentle running. Front of the hips just letting me know they are there.
    Tuesday 10/9 - Left it too late to go out by which time it was raining and looked miserable and was getting dark. Pushed it out until Wednesday.
    Wednesday 11/9 - 4m Easy - Took this very slow keeping HR in 110's and 120's - 11.11 min/mile AVG HR 125
    Thursday - Rest Day
    Friday - Rest Day
    Saturday - 2m Easy - Actual Tymon Parkrun 3.16 m, 10.54min/mile, AVG HR 126

Sunday - Charleville Half Marathon - 13.12m, 7.29 min/mile, AVG HR 165

Charleville Race Report

The day started inauspiciously when I woke up after having a sleep cramp on my left leg. This left it feeling tight and painful and I considered cancelling as I wasn't sure if I'd just do more damage if I raced on it. Luckily it loosened out with a bit of activity and felt much better by the time I left the house and I didn't feel it at all during the race.

Got to Charleville with mostly light rain on the route and parked up. Followed a guy in a Mallow AC top who looked like he knew where he was going so made it to the GAA club, picked up the t-shirt and the race clips and dropped off the bag and used the facilities. Followed up this with a light jog and some strides around the pitch along with some dynamic stretches. I'd brought two gels with me but didn't really have something to carry them in so I took one before the start and put the other in my rather large short pocket. Met a few familiar faces and a few chats later headed up to the start line. As the start time approached the start line got more and more packed and very warm as you could feel the heat radiating from the bodies around you. Some genius then decided to drive through the start line. She must have been late for Mass or something.
    As is usual for me at these races I never hear the start announcement. Perhaps I'm deaf but since the ones in front of us were moving I guess we were off.

My goal was to break 1.40. I knew if I kept a 7.30 average pace I could do it but hadn't really formulated a plan beyond that. The race started briskly and after a couple of hundred meters I checked the pace and it was 6.40. Oh-oh! I immediately eased off and found myself with the 1.35 pacer group. We passed through the first mile which was slightly downhill - 6:59.
    Since I felt comfortable enough with the 1.35 group I decided to stay with them for a while and build a bit of a buffer. My breathing was ok and I wasn't straining myself to stay on so miles 2,3 and 4 with by in 7.12, 7.11, 7,12. At about 4.5 miles I was slightly drifting off the pacer by a few feet and feeling the others in the group breathing down my neck. I took this as my cue to make way and moved off to the other side of the road and watched them incrementally stride away.
    Mile 5 and 6 are a slight uphill drag into Kilmallock. It's probably this section of the race where I felt the worst and was making mental bargains with myself to just get to 6.5 mile and that's the half way mark and we're on the way home. I was flagging slightly but pushed myself on thinking I might get a 10K PB. After the six mile mark I stopped briefly to take my my second gel, a caffeine one and some water. I felt this perked me up a bit but looking at the course profile after it was probably as much due to the downhill section starting at 6.5 miles. Miles 5 & 6 -> 7.21, 7.33

The 1.35 pacer who had been visible a few hundred yards and maybe 40 seconds ahead during mile 5 and 6 was now no longer within sight. I fell in step with a female runner in a red top and male runner with a triathlon top. I seemed to gain time on them up the inclines and they would take it back when back on the flat and we kept exchanging places all the way home. At one stage here there was a breeze into my face. The smarter move might have been to take shelter behind someone but I was just glad of the chance to cool down a little. I was still on about 7.22 average pace at this stage and started thinking a 10 mile PB might be on the cards so I pushed away from both of them at about 8.5 miles and pressed on for the 10 mile marker.
    Miles 7, 8, 9 and 10 -> 7.49, 7.27, 7.39, 7.29

After 10 miles I thought perhaps that was enough chasing PBs and it was time to settle in and protect the sub 1.40 which, barring disaster, seemed nailed on. While I couldn't do the maths on the fly I felt I could slow to 8 minute miles, concentrate on staying comfortable and I should be able to respond if the 1.40 pacers came storming through. I also switched the watch to just mile laps to take it one mile at a time. I had a mini heart attack somewhere around mile 11 when I heard a lot of noise behind me and thought it was the 1.40 pacer group but it turned out to be the racewalkers with Rob Heffernan on a bike coaching one of his athletes.
    Red top girl and triathlon guy had now passed me out but I used them to keep a rhythm going for the last couple of miles finally reached the finish gantry. The clock was clicking over into the 1.38 with my watch saying 1.38:15.
    Miles 11, 12 and 13 -> 7.57, 7.45 , 7.53.

After crossing the line my quads were threatening to cramp up. They didn't. Nice feed of grub and a few post race chats. The marshals and all the crew at Charleville did a great job.
    I think I was lucky today. It worked our for me today when, on another day, it might have gone badly wrong. I met quite a few for whom the day did not go well by their usual standards. I'm sure just a temporary blip for them.
    Onwards now to DCM.

Monday 16/9 - Rest Day
    Tuesday 17/9 - 6.05 miles 10.51 min/mile AVG HR 131 - Quads still felt a bit hammered after the HM so let the pace slide even further to the easy side of things for this one.
    Wednesday 18/9 - 8.03 miles 10.32 min/mile AVG HR 133 - This was originally a 9m PMP run on the plan but our wise mentor ReeReeg advised swapping it for 8m easy which was an excellent call as quads were still feeling a bit sore. Warm one at 21C.
    Thursday 19/9 - 3.21 miles 11.30min/mile AVG HR 119 - For reasons I've already forgotten I took this very easy. A bit chilly in the morning when in the shade.
    Friday 20/9 - Rest Day
    Saturday 21/9 - 16.05 miles 9.38 min/mile AVG HR 139 - No parkrunning this week. Volunteering instead. The rain started from early morning and I put off this run for later in the day which was an error as the rain only got heavier. The run was on the faster side. Given the conditions I wanted it over and done with. I developed a bit of a head cold from about Wednesday so, in hindsight, perhaps running 16 miles in pretty constant heavy rain might not have been the wisest move. Didn't feel the best afterwards and took a nap followed by an early night. Felt quite a bit better the following morning.
    Sunday 22/9 - 3.22 miles - 10.56 min/mile AVG HR 127 - Another easy run to round out the week. Quads back to normal. Head cold and runny nose still present but not a major issue.

5 weeks left until DCM. On to week 14 of 18 next week and only two weeks left to taper.

Started a new job this week which has thrown my schedule into chaos. Crazy early starts and long days travelling mean time and opportunity for running has been really squeezed. Sleep, nutrition and hydration have also all taken a hit. What running opportunities are there tend to be when it's dark and I've not really got night time running routes sussed yet.

Monday - 23/9 4m 9.45min/mi AVG HR 138 - Probably the best run of the week albeit still slightly fast. Headed into the park with the headlamp and managed to scare a few deer.

Tuesday - 24/9 - Rest day - (I spent the day dreading the 9mile I was thought I was supposed to do this evening and it turned out it was the following day. What relief. :D)

Wednesday - 25/9 - 9m 8.27min/mi AVG HR 149 - I was so tempted to skip this. I started off too fast for the first few miles. My stomach didn't feel good and it usually never bothers me. I couldn't wait for it to finish and, for the first time, felt nauseus at the end. Walked the last quarter mile of the cool down mile. Just felt really crap.

Thursday - 26/9 - Rest Day - Unintentional rest day. Arrived back from work way to late to even contemplate fitting in a run.

Friday - 27/9 - 5m 9.09 min/mi AVG HR 141 - This route has elevation at the start and did that bit too quick. The rest was downhill or flat meaning overall the run was too fast.

Saturday - 28/9 - Rest Day - The forecast was for heavy rain pretty much all day. Didn't fancy a second week on the trot soaked to the skin so put off the LSR until Sunday.

Sunday - 30/9 - 18.87m 11.18min/mi AVG HR 131 - Second worst session of this training block (after Wednesday's 11 miles). Mapped out a route that took my fancy and which I wanted to do. Ran the first few miles a bit too fast as it was a narrow road with not so great visibility and fast enough traffic so I wanted to get off it as quick as possible. First five or six miles were ok but aware that they felt a bit harder that normal. Was beginning to flag a bit around mile 10 as the sharp undulations were starting to exact a toll. The body mutinied at about mile 14 where I was coming back to a more familiar section of the course. Usually I find familiar ground easier but it worked against me in this case. The body and mind knew what ramps still lay ahead and had no interest in tackling them. In retrospect when I looked at the elevation I was attempting I agreed with their decision. Hips, feet and quads were all starting to pain and I'm not sure what I'd have gained by pushing on. Anyway it's better to wobble now rather than in 4 weeks time.

• Advertisement

Currently doing the Faster Road Running 10 week Base Training plan building to 45 miles per week.
    I'm up to week five atm.

Mon 21/9 - 7.32mi 1:02:25 8:31/mi 148ft 141bpm - Joined a couple of clubmates for this run. Nice to have company occasionally. Club runs can sometimes get too pacy as competitiveness kicks in but we kept this one steady with a spurt for the last 3rd of a mile to finish. Quite an enjoyable run on relatively flat terrain.

Wed 23/9 - 8.22mi 1:15:15 9:09/mi 646ft 141bpm - Steady run on a nice bright day with lots of visibility. Sorry I didn't bring my phone for a few photos as the views were looking good. Alas the photos never really come out as good on my phone in any case. If anyone knows of an inexpensive, pocket-size, running camera then let me know!

Fri 25/9 - 7.62mi 1:16:20 10.00/mi 869ft 141bpm - Took out my trail runners for this partly as they'd sat in the wardrobe for 8 months or so and only had about 13 miles on them and partly as there was a few side trails to investigate. One of the trails was too waterlogged to encourage further exploration and most of this run happened on the road. Not the most comfortable run with no spring or cushion from the trail runners. A bit of a plodding run overall.

Sat 26/9 - 3.11mi 22:00 7:04/mi 72ft 160bpm - (not) parkrun with a few others. This was my second run back at (not) parkrun since mid July and I hadn't run at this pace since late June. Happy enough considering I'm doing no speed work and have been off running for all of August. Still I'd be hoping to nudge that time downwards over the next few weeks.

Sun 27/9 - 11.35mi 1:41:34 8.57/mi 909ft 148bpm - Endurance run. It's definitely got a bit nippier out so put on a long sleeve top and since it was misty/drizzly I added a cycling gilet. The gilet helped with visibility but I was saturated in sweat when I got back. I took advantage of the downhill at the end to pick up the pace for the finish.

Weekly total: 37.65mi
    Year to date: 978.81mi

Advertisement