Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-Life: Alyx (formerly: Half Life 3 is coming??)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

pixelburp wrote: »
    It wasn't funny the last April Fools', and it ain't funny now. :(

It probably won't be funny next year either :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Kiith wrote: »
    It probably won't be funny next year either :(

To be fair on mine, it is a result of reddit time travel so might not necessarily be lying. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Damn you! I let my guard slip. The internet sucks today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Anky2930

Its really very good news that half life 3 is coming and can anyone please tell me exactly when it is going to launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Anky2930 wrote: »
    Its really very good news that half life 3 is coming and can anyone please tell me exactly when it is going to launch.

It has already launched check out steam. http://store.steamppowered.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

The joke is, valve will probably actually announce it next April fools, and we'll all be like 'oh its another april fools, and ignore it'

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

1 news article today and there was one yesterday about HL3 stuff. First one was apparently an image cropping up on Gamestop USA before being removed 3 minutes later. The other is something entirely different. Q2 2012? :/

http://www.gamersbook.com/scene/news/half-life-3-news-coming-in-q2-2012/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

1 news article today and there was one yesterday about HL3 stuff. First one was apparently an image cropping up on Gamestop USA before being removed 3 minutes later. The other is something entirely different. Q2 2012? :/

http://www.gamersbook.com/scene/news/half-life-3-news-coming-in-q2-2012/

If you root around there's a Cave Johnson soundbite at http://ia601207.us.archive.org/1/ite...eMesa/cave.mp3

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

Didn't Valve categorically state that nothing Half-Life related would be shown at E3 this year?

It'd be unusual for them to announce something now, and then not folow it up at E3, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,842 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

My theory is they can't count past 2.
    Half Life, Half Life 2, Half Life 2 Episode 1, Half Life 2 Episode 2, Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2, Portal, Portal 2. And now with DOTA 2 coming out, they're running out of sequels so they'll have to move on to 3. Unless they create either a new IP or do Left 4 Dead Episode 1. :)

I know chances of it happening are slim anyway, but maybe they were worried an E3 announcement would see it buried underneath other announcements. As if people wouldn't notice a Half Life announcement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,765 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

That bit of code clearly says h13 not hl3 ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Pedro Monscooch

Sorry grumpy, the L just looks like 1. Just look at other parts of the doc to compare 1s and Ls.It actually does say HL3. Not that it matters until we see a screenshot or something.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,134 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I love it when people go rooting around in HTML and other code to try and track down 'hints'. Seems like such a waste of effort.

That said, some of Valve's more mischievous announcements have been very amusing in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

I thought that HL3 t-shirt proved to everybody that it'd definatley be out by now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I love it when people go rooting around in HTML and other code to try and track down 'hints'. Seems like such a waste of effort.

I dunno, this seems a bit too close to be a fluke - "hl3 q2 2012"

It's definitely HL3, because I searched for it in the body of text & a H13 search showed nothing.

Hopefully it's announced, & all this speculation crap can stop

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

Every time I see a new HL thead/post, I try and resist but I fail miserably.

I won't believe any of it until I hold a physical copy in my hands. Even *if* it was a hint, god knows when it would be released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

wyrn wrote: »
    I won't believe any of it until I hold a physical copy in my hands

Even at that I'll still have my doubts

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,134 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

No-one else remembers trying to download the HL2 files from Steam on the day of release then, ey? Good old dial-up.

One of those cases where holding a copy of the game in your hand was no guarantee of anything :pac: Can't wait for the server shenanigans when 3 does get released.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

One of those cases where holding a copy of the game in your hand was no guarantee of anything :pac: Can't wait for the server shenanigans when 3 does get released.

I won't mind waiting for it to download, I'll be busy finishing E2. I'm right up to the last part with the sticky bombs but I'm holding off. I can't bring myself to finish it but then it'll be over. Stupid I know. I even have Blue Shift and Opposing Force but I haven't completed HL2 E2.

EDIT: It's killing me that I haven't completed because I carried Gordon the gnome all the way through, even that god awful part with the trains. I crawled all the way back because he wouldn't stay in the damn car.

I'm getting equally eager for the next Freeman's Mind episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

No-one else remembers trying to download the HL2 files from Steam on the day of release then, ey? Good old dial-up.

Yup I remember waiting for it to unlock before I was due to head off for college. It didn't in time and I had to wait the whole day to play it. I had broadband at the time I thiiink..

Pity the game on a whole was hugely disappointing. I haven't played it since the first runthrough when It first came out.

• Advertisement

Pity the game on a whole was hugely disappointing.

Phoenix-Wright-Objection.jpg

Genuinely at a loss to think how anyone could call HL2 a disappointment. One of the most creatively and mechanically ambitious sequels (heck, games) of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I remember trying and failing alright. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I actually know another person who wasn't crazy about hl2

i do think hl1 is better though.. maybe not technically as it is quite old, but I enjoy playing it more.

i do think hl1 is better though.. maybe not technically as it is quite old, but I enjoy playing it more.

No problem with that stance at all. It's to call the game overall a massive disappointment I can't understand: to advance what is (in many ways) an extremely well made corridor shooter into a game of extraordinary scope and breadth, as well as featuring some of gaming's most evolutionary physics and storytelling mechanics, is an undeniable achievement. Proof that 'linear' is not in itself a bad word. That the Source engine can still happily support ambitious games almost a decade on is impressive, even if a rebuild would be welcome at this point :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I also thought HL2 was a bit boring. Took me a year or so and a few attempts to bother sitting through the entire game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Why do I keep reading this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

cloud493 wrote: »
    Why do I keep reading this?

Hope

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I remember that day, my parents going nuts cos I was hogging the phone line for most of the night :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,842 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

wyrn wrote: »
    I won't believe any of it until I hold a physical copy in my hands.
    Then it's released as download only and while everyone's playing after the 10 hour download, you'll still be in denial. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,842 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

poster.php?txt=lbh+ohzc+n+Unys-Yvsr+3+guernq%2C&lang=en

Advertisement