Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Half-Life: Alyx (formerly: Half Life 3 is coming??)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

tuxy wrote: »
    How do you delay a game that you never confirmed to be working on?
    Ask the PR department to give feedback on what to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2012/09/20/is-half-life-3-open-world-and-coming-after-2013
    ew Half-Life 3 rumors suggest that the game will allow players to explore an open world and will be released after 2013. A “reliable source” tells French site journaldugamer that Half-Life 3 has been “revived several times” and is now targeted for a release after next year. The source also suggests that, unlike its linear predecessors, Half-Life 3 will be an open-world game including quests and non-playable characters.

Development on Half-Life 3 has reportedly been “very chaotic,” which the source points to for the delay. The game allegedly started as a “pure shooter” before moving toward puzzle solving and exploration-themed gameplay.

Half-Life 3 rumors have been flying lately, including word that it would appear at Gamescom (it didn’t) and concept art supposedly Half-Life 2:Episode Three. Fans have been waiting for a new Half-Life for years now, picketing at Valve HQ and organizing protests on Steam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Half Life 3 rumours? Yawn {and I'm a fan}

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Bumping this thread with unsubstantiated rumour and speculation should be grounds for an insta-ban. Make it happen mods :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

EnterNow wrote: »
    Half Life 3 rumours? Yawn {and I'm a fan}

I hear there are more rumours due next month

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

al28283 wrote: »
    I hear there are more rumours due next month

Yeah I'd well believe it. The problem is I'm finding myself less & less interested in them ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,153 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Same here. No game is worth this amount of waiting and hype.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

weren't people waiting longer for stalker - shadow of chernobyl?

that turned out to be one of the best games of all time so... there's still hope

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Well it was good, going as far as to say it was one of the best ever is a massive overstatement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,638 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Same here. No game is worth this amount of waiting and hype.
    As proven by DNF

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Overheal wrote: »
    As proven by DNF

Ah now, DNF went through 3 rebuilds & ~10 years of unmanaged development, before being passed over to Gearbox, who polished up what must have been a fairly godawful build if the released version was as good as they could make it. Anyone reading between the lines couldn't have been surprised by how DNF turned out.

Valve on the other hand would have a clear run at HL3 & strike me as the kind of company with the creativity and the production acumen to actually make an excellent game each time they decide to create one.

That said, I second the motion to make the posting of bullplop HL3 rumours a bannable offence :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,153 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I've no doubt that Half-Life 3 will be a very good game if it ever sees the light of day. I've just cleared HL2 episode 2 and am in the middle of Black Mesa at the moment. After that, I've the expansions of the original to go through as well as the tons of games recommended by various people here. In short, I'll definitely pick it up if it arrives, it's just depressing that Valve don't even have the manners to give the fans even small amounts of info. I'll not be waiting with baited breath but it would be nice to at least find out more about the G man.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Don't think I would like an open world Half Life with loada side missions. Though something like Metroid Prime could be good.
    I've no doubt that Half-Life 3 will be a very good game if it ever sees the light of day. I've just cleared HL2 episode 2 and am in the middle of Black Mesa at the moment. After that, I've the expansions of the original to go through as well as the tons of games recommended by various people here. In short, I'll definitely pick it up if it arrives, it's just depressing that Valve don't even have the manners to give the fans even small amounts of info. I'll not be waiting with baited breath but it would be nice to at least find out more about the G man.

I've got these to play as well. Does the HD add on work for these as well or is it just for the original Half Life?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

cloud493 wrote: »

Hmm. Thanks for linking this Cloud... seems to have a bit of info that makes a lot of sense. Open-world eh... so do they never make it to that ship in the North?

Also, if it hits in 2013, that is also news worth sharing. Unless it slips I can't see it being as late as 2014 tbh.

I just hope the Mayans were wrong about all this apocolypse stuff!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Absolutely
    So its borderlands with less guns :D

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I've got these to play as well. Does the HD add on work for these as well or is it just for the original Half Life?

No idea. I never touch mods. I have to say that the open world thing has dented my enthusiasm for the game. I'll still get it but I'm getting really sick of poorly executed open world games.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

No idea. I never touch mods. I have to say that the open world thing has dented my enthusiasm for the game. I'll still get it but I'm getting really sick of poorly executed open world games.

Wouldn't worry about it too much about it just yet, history tells us that there is an approximately 0% chance of there being any real substance to this rumour whatsoever :p

Thank God. I find that open world games get very dull after a while.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭briany

Thank God. I find that open world games get very dull after a while.

It depends. STALKER, Far Cry and Crysis 1 hadn't too many dull moments and they're your quintessential sandbox FPSes. It is possible that Half Life 3, if it were to be open world - it probably won't - but if it were, it could be dull, like Far Cry 2 dull, but I seriously doubt Valve would release it like that. Funny how a dodgy rumour gets the imagination going though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

dreamers75 wrote: »
    So its borderlands with less guns :D

And less talking...

Perhaps that's what the sign language rumours were about all those years ago.

H. H. Asquith

briany wrote: »
    It depends. STALKER, Far Cry and Crysis 1 hadn't too many dull moments and they're your quintessential sandbox FPSes. It is possible that Half Life 3, if it were to be open world - it probably won't - but if it were, it could be dull, like Far Cry 2 dull, but I seriously doubt Valve would release it like that. Funny how a dodgy rumour gets the imagination going though.

Well, I'm playing Oblivion at the moment and I just hit a point where I have no urge at all to play the game. I'm not knocking it, it just seems like it has too much to do for it's own good. I haven't played STALKER but Crysis is a bit boring IMO. Maybe it picks up later but for me, it's just a very basic shooter.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ah now, Oblivion is an extreme example and just shows how the term 'open-world' is not only massively overused, but doesn't represent the important differences in these 'open world' games. Oblivion is a game that literally dumps you out in the middle of the countryside and invites you to make your own adventures.

There are plenty of more directed examples of the Open World game - the recent Deus Ex Human Revolution is a good example of that & by the looks of things, Dishonoured appears it might be going in the same direction: games that have smaller 'hub's (in Deus Ex's case, they're city-blocks) that that player can explore, find & play side-missions within & you generally don't leave these hubs until you play a specific main-quest. Mass Effect is a broader example of this type of Open-World. Because of this focus, they tend to have better stories because it's easier for the devs to control the direction of events.

Were there even any truth in this HL rumour, dollars for donuts that's the format of 'Open World' the game would follow.

Call me old fashioned but I think a more linear story is better suited to a series like Half-Life. In fairness, Deus Ex: Human Revolution did an excellent job by having you visit areas where you could run errands or progress the main story.
    Of course, this is a rumor we're discussing and may well come to naught.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

When they put "reliable sources" in quotation marks, you know you can trust them!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

God no, please not open world...no...

I've always pointed to Half-Life 2 as an example of how a well-crafted linear story can be a fantastic experience. Open-world is such a buzz-word these days, although the obsession is thankfully fading - but two years ago it seemed like if a game wasn't open-world people would roll their eyes, say "psh" and brush it off their desk.

I often find that people claim they want a non-linear open-world experience but then give linear stories a very high review. Best example that comes to mind is Lair of the Shadow Broker: Very linear but extremely well-polished plotline and is widely considered one of the best parts of the Mass Effect saga.

Don't ruin Half Life 3 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭briany

The reason why linear fps games got a bad name among certain afficianados of the genre, I think, is because of certain shooter franchises that have become big over the last decade or so. The Half Life series has never had to worry about the dumbed down accusation put to some of it's linear breathren though because of the well crafted stories but also, crucially, because it has a different feel. The Half Life games have a great contour to them; there's plenty of times in the games where everything is tranquil and you're just figuring out the best way to stack boxes in a lighthouse basement to get to a ledge. There's no dramatic music or oppressive atmosphere and there's no objective tab, just a weirdly naturalistic feel quite unlike any other shooter I've played (apart from STALKER :D).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Open world story telling can be done very well, Shadow of the Colossus is a prime example. The more recent Batman Arkum games were open world as well.

If there's one thing Valve have done well with Half Life, it's to take existing trends and tropes from gaming and do them right and make them a fun and integrated part of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Saw this on another forum:

Skip to 7:50

Edit: lol, how dodgy does the still frame make it look :p

Advertisement