Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Half-Life: Alyx (formerly: Half Life 3 is coming??)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

EnterNow wrote: »
    I'm in danger of feeling the same. There's simply no excuse for how long its taken at this point.

I felt the same after the 7 year wait for Half-Life 2. Valved then proved I was wrong. I'll happily be proved wrong again. Take your time Valve. I know when we do see it it will be as ground breaking as HL2 was.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I am really tempted to try out cinematic mode for hl2. My pc should be good enough for it now.

you'd think so, but it won't be

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

you'd think so, but it won't be

Well it should run it atleast on mediocre cinematic mode. Will need to look in to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Didn't the ever expanding Gabe not say that the Half Life ep games were, essentially, HL3?
    Pretty sure he did...
    So that makes the next game HL4!
    But Americans are, in the main, as dumb as a bag of rocks so Half Life 3 it is!

I have a feeling though, that the presence of such strong links between Portal 2 and Half Life 2: Ep 2 means we'll see it sooner rather than later and perhaps, just perhaps, Gordon can get his hands on a Portal Gun....
    And some exploding lemons...

And maybe fight the army of Mantis Men...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Didn't the ever expanding Gabe not say that the Half Life ep games were, essentially, HL3?

He may have, total cop out though given they're called Half Life 2: Ep 1 etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I think valve out itself in very very ****y position here.

They took sooo long, that game engine is really outdated at this stage. Making new engine for old game will feel out of place.

They really shot themselfs in a foot.

I am really tempted to try out cinematic mode for hl2. My pc should be good enough for it now.

what do ya mean ? Can't imagine them making another episode tbh. It'll be a full on HL3 next i reckon, and with that they'll need a new engine. Not a chance they'll release it before the next generation consoles are released tho.

It'll be worth the wait :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Merchandising before the game is even announced is unheard of. More likely an in-joke between Valve employees

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Magill wrote: »
    what do ya mean ? Can't imagine them making another episode tbh. It'll be a full on HL3 next i reckon, and with that they'll need a new engine. Not a chance they'll release it before the next generation consoles are released tho.

It'll be worth the wait :P

I mean call of duty MW syndrome.

they needed to wrap **** up with MW3 and they had to use old engine to do it, as it was trilogy, but they did not took in account that that engine by the time third game had to come out, was totally outdated.

HL is in same position with episodic releases. episode 3 should be still using same engine to wrap up HL2.

At this stage i am prety sure they will just skip it and do HL3 witn new sexy engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Some of the achievements were leaked HAHAHAHAHAHAH

2649398.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

I dont get it, is this happening or not?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

I call bull on those achievements. Those percentages just feel wrong (eg 51.1% on one of them). How many people would have to play the game just to get it like that?

I dont get it, is this happening or not?

:rolleyes: no, printing t-shirts and publishing the game, never mind achievements, to steam would be done very close to release date, yet the game hasn't been announced yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

al28283 wrote: »
    :rolleyes: no, printing t-shirts and publishing the game, never mind achievements, to steam would be done very close to release date, yet the game hasn't been announced yet.

But this game only needs to be announced for 5 mins before going on sale.

Just long enough for me to grab my wallet and car keys and head into town...

But this game only needs to be announced for 5 mins before going on sale.

Just long enough for me to grab my wallet and car keys and head into town...

No, it doesn't

No, it doesn't

Are you saying it would take more than 5 mins to decide if you wanted to buy HL3?

Are you saying it would take more than 5 mins to decide if you wanted to buy HL3?

No, i'm saying that any company who completes a game, prints t-shirts and has the game available on Steam without even announcing they are making it, no publicity and build up is unbelievably moronic.

No, i'm saying that any company who completes a game, prints t-shirts and has the game available on Steam without even announcing they are making it, no publicity and build up is unbelievably moronic.

What do you mean no publicity or build up?
    People have been looking forward to HL3 since they opened the box of HL2!
    This game needs no build up.

Literally, if I were to be told that Gamestop would have copy's for sale at 2:15, I'd be getting my coat right now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I am pretty sure it would still almost certainly end up one of the top selling games of all time anyway.

GTA 5 is also sure to be one of the top selling games of all time, and they already have a teaser trailer out, no mention of a release date yet, but they've already started publicising the game and will keep it up until release. Do you really think they wouldn't publicise the game if its that close to being finished? Do you think any publisher would be ok with investing millions in a game and not trying to market it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Valve did say they weren't making the same mistakes they did with Half-Life 2 where they showed it to the public too early and it ended up getting delayed by a lot.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Valve did say they weren't making the same mistakes they did with Half-Life 2 where they showed it to the public too early and it ended up getting delayed by a lot.

So they printed t shirts and made the game available to staff on Steam?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

GTA 5 is also sure to be one of the top selling games of all time, and they already have a teaser trailer out, no mention of a release date yet, but they've already started publicising the game and will keep it up until release. Do you really think they wouldn't publicise the game if its that close to being finished? Do you think any publisher would be ok with investing millions in a game and not trying to market it?

I don't believe for a second it is nearly ready, but Valve are their own publsher so they could technically do whatever they hell the like, after all on the face of it creating tonnes of free DLC for your games is pretty stupid from a business perspective isn't it?

Surely the fact that were are discussing an unannounced sequel to an 8 year old game which we are not even certain exists, shows that the marketing would pretty well write itself :)

If they are testing the game on Steam with a full achievement list available then it must be nearly finished

I've seen quite a few games have achievements lists leaked before they went live. Radiant Silvergun had an achievement list leaked years ago iirc.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I've seen quite a few games have achievements lists leaked before they went live. Radiant Silvergun had an achievement list leaked years ago iirc.

Before the game was announced?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I want to believe!

picture.php?albumid=787&pictureid=11396

Before the game was announced?

Which would be the reason it is called a leak.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Even though I know this whole thread is about nothing more than some bloke who printed his own t-shirt, I still have to check back every hour or two "just in case".

Damn you Valve !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

Let's just face it, Gabe's eaten Gorden Freeman...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,800 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

stevenmu wrote: »
    Even though I know this whole thread is about nothing more than some bloke who printed his own t-shirt, I still have to check back every hour or two "just in case".

Damn you Valve !!!

Proof that Valve don't need to advertise HL3. All they have to do is say "Uh, yeah, it's out in 3 months" and the internet will be nothing but HL3 until then!

I only hope that by the time it does come out i have enough for a new PC because it will definitely have to be a PC game, console just won't cut it.

Advertisement