Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest with Electric Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Any idea if you can add this to EI bill & split over months or have to pay up front?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's stated on their website. If you are already an EI customer then you can spread the cost on a monthly basis onto your existing bill. You would need to check with them in case they charge interest on top of that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭torrevieja

audi02 wrote: »
    Yes this was the case and the first mornin my heat was on for almost 2 hours before we got up so that setting had to be turned off as half an hour in the mornin is enough for us.

Hi audi02 mine seems to come on at 8am on saturdays and sundays how do i change this because its not in my time schedule on app ?

fletch wrote: »
    Surely then you had the temperature set too high as it should have knocked itself off when it reached your desired temperature?

No fletch i never have heating on in morning and the temp went straight to 23c,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

If you go into True Radiant in the settings you have an option to set an upper limit on how long it will pre-heat before the scheduled time (from 0 to 5 hours)

Warning: not an expert ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭what_traffic

dinneenp wrote: »
    Any idea if you can add this to EI bill & split over months or have to pay up front?

It is split, even when one is an EI customer. It was separate to EI bill. Am paying €11 DD since February 2018 for 12 months. But changed provider for Electricity shortly after the installation of NEST without any issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Just switched over to IE with Nest from Energia.

I have four zones so I can expect I'll get one Nest for the 130 and can purchase the others from them and get installed via the installer?
    Is the heatlink for each an extra purchase or does it come with the EU Nests in the box.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Anyone any experiences with the Netatmo, I’ve a Climote the last two years and it works fine for my needs, but Energia are bending over backwards to try and keep me as a customer, they’ve offered me a 35% discount so a rate of 12.98 ex vat along with a free Netatmo and €50 cash back. I only signed up to the bonkers Electric Ire exclusive deal on Friday and they want me to invoke my cooling off period. I’m not sure whether the Netatmo is any better or worse than the Climote

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭bungaro79

crazyhorse wrote: »
    Interesting reading. Is the consensus that eligibility to claim €700 SEAI heating control grant in the future is unaffected by having EI install Nest.

I applied for the Hub Controller after reading about it on this thread. It looks though that the Seai grant is affected if you join the pilot program. We will probably need to replace our boiler in the next few years so should I give the Hub a miss??

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭crazyhorse

bungaro79 wrote: »
    I applied for the Hub Controller after reading about it on this thread. It looks though that the Seai grant is affected if you join the pilot program. We will probably need to replace our boiler in the next few years so should I give the Hub a miss??

I got the following clarification from an SEAI rep when i asked if installing Nest would affect my eligibility for €700 heating controls grant in future.

", If the three following requirements are met after installation of the Nest system, you wouldn't be eligible to apply in future for the Heating Controls grant.
    - Two zones (space and water) with 7 day programmer (time / temperature),
    - Time / temperature control of electric immersion,
    - 1 additional zone OR installation of sufficient Thermostatic Radiator Valves."

My understanding is that if any one of the above listed measures were to be carried out in future e.g. installation of TRVs, then I would still be eligible for the grant.

• Advertisement

Is there a subscription for this?

Do people think nest or hive are better?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Just switched over to IE with Nest from Energia.

I have four zones so I can expect I'll get one Nest for the 130 and can purchase the others from them and get installed via the installer?
    Is the heatlink for each an extra purchase or does it come with the EU Nests in the box.

In hindsight I'm going to cancel the order as the Evohome would suit my setup better.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is there a subscription for this?

Do people think nest or hive are better?

No sub for the standard setup. Its unlikely anyone has actually used both long-term in the same house to decide which is better tbh. Both can be part of an ecosystem with other options, and each has different extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭bungaro79

crazyhorse wrote: »
    I got the following clarification from an SEAI rep when i asked if installing Nest would affect my eligibility for €700 heating controls grant in future.

", If the three following requirements are met after installation of the Nest system, you wouldn't be eligible to apply in future for the Heating Controls grant.
    - Two zones (space and water) with 7 day programmer (time / temperature),
    - Time / temperature control of electric immersion,
    - 1 additional zone OR installation of sufficient Thermostatic Radiator Valves."

My understanding is that if any one of the above listed measures were to be carried out in future e.g. installation of TRVs, then I would still be eligible for the grant.

Thanks crazyhorse. We've two switches, one for downstairs heating and the other is for hot water and upstairs heating. I'm assuming that it'll be the downstairs switch that would be replaced with the Hub so going by the conditions you mentioned above then we should be OK to still get the grant

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Had a fella call round from Electric Ireland to install Nest today.

Dunno why but had a feeling it wouldn't go well :pac: Anyway my piece of **** bolier which is already an issue only allows for the heating to be turned on with the water being turned on at the same time so doesn't support Nest!

Have to wait on my refund now.... Wonder how long will take?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Had a fella call round from Electric Ireland to install Nest today.

Dunno why but had a feeling it wouldn't go well :pac: Anyway my piece of **** bolier which is already an issue only allows for the heating to be turned on with the water being turned on at the same time so doesn't support Nest!

Have to wait on my refund now.... Wonder how long will take?

So the hot water controls the radiators?

ted1 wrote: »
    So the hot water controls the radiators?

To be honest I dunno a lot about this stuff ha. The water has to switched on when heating goes on that's all I know ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭LJ3103

I was told the same this morning, he said because the heating system heats the water even if heat only is selected makes it incompatible with nest.

I was really surprised by this because I don't know of any gas boilers that don't heat the water at the same time as heating the rads . I can however heat water only if I choose that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭what_traffic

This is my setup. Its not so much the boiler - but the way the plumbing to the boiler is setup.
    In the late spring/ summer /early Autumn all my rads are off - so can use boiler to heat water. Main heating of water is from Solar panels during that period though.

The whole setup in my place is a bit ****e. The boiler is giving issues of late makes a load of high pitched noise after few mins being on then stops. Not all the radiators are the same temperature half the time and house is badly insulated so ya fun all round!

The wind that's out there now will basically go right threw front my place could have heating on for ages soon as goes off heat won't hang around for long!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

adox wrote: »

Will this work with an old gas boiler? Ours is nearly 20 years old. It’s heats the water automatically when the heating is on. The only way to change this is to pull the handle over at the tank in the hot press so you shut the rads off and it heats the water only.

I’m a little confused now after the last few posts. I posted the above a couple of weeks ago and the general consensus was that Nest would work with it but now it seems maybe not??:confused:

adox wrote: »
    I’m a little confused now after the last few posts. I posted the above a couple of weeks ago and the general consensus was that Nest would work with it but now it seems maybe not??:confused:

Did ya ring thrm?

To be honest I dunno a lot about this stuff ha. The water has to switched on when heating goes on that's all I know ha.

Ok that sounds pretty standard. Can’t see why he couldn’t install it.

We have a gas boiler and it heats the water and radiators. Can’t separate the two.

It works no problem

We have a gas boiler and it heats the water and radiators. Can’t separate the two.

It works no problem

I have a switch on the wall one side has button that goes on for heating other for water. The boiler will not start up fully till both are switched on. This was reason he said not to install as it would cause issues.

Bascially he said there told not to install them where there will be issues as Electric Ireland don't want the complaints.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Possibly because the SEAI grant scheme that covers the cost requires two zones to exist basically - heat and water or two heat zones.

on saturdays and sundays morning my heat comes on for almost 2 hours before we get up at 8am and its not timed to come on then.
    anyone have these issues

torrevieja wrote: »
    on saturdays and sundays morning my heat comes on for almost 2 hours before we get up at 8am and its not timed to come on then.
    anyone have these issues

Is it newly installed? If so it’s just learning

Is it newly installed? If so it’s just learning

no have it six weeks its the only two days it does this

Remove/reset the target temperatures and it shouldn't overwrite them.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Remove/reset the target temperatures and it shouldn't overwrite them.

Is this done from the App

Advertisement