Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

finally got it installed! so far it seems to be in and around the 70mb down and 6mb up but it did go <30 last night for a while. Will keep an eye on it and see if it was a once off or more regular..
    5386655989.png

Fastest speed i've recorded so far:
    5387521450.png

The max i'm getting out of the Wifi is 35mbs but if i feed it into the WAN port on my tp-link WD-3600 i'm getting closer to the 70 on both 2.4ghz and 5Ghz frequencies of that router's wifi. Something to bear in mind.

I did briefly test BF4 on my xbox360. Connection was full bars rather than the 3-4 i used get on meteor 4G with no noticeable issues playing except i'm still rather sh1t3 :/

No issues with work VPN either

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

morgana wrote: »
    I am a gamer (mmo) and packet loss is usually 0 % and in game pings (server in Amsterdam) are usually between 50 and 70. No issues gaming at all even with Netflix streaming at the same time on a different device.

Thanks, that is interesting. I'll check out the earlier discussion too.
    The 'cooling off' period will be really useful for testing purposes!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Chef-1st

Well I got connected earlier today. Was all happy faces and chuffs from everyone after a bad start getting it up and running (brand new router was the problem).
    Initially was getting 85M - down, 7 - up. About 30ms ping. Excellent! That was when the installation techs lefts.

This evening, varying speeds from 3M to 18M. Not a good first day at all. I barely used it, was in work most of the day. So it couldn't have been the 20G a day cap. Averaging about 10M the past half hour. That might be acceptable for average 30euro a month wireless broadband, but not 60euro a month fibre, with only about 130 users so far on the one Wexford mast. Obviously, benefit of the doubt will be given. We'll see over the next few day.

These are the last few speed tests I've ran and copied.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/5389253361.png

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5389261877

http://www.speedtest.net/result/5389294607.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/5389305653.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭irishchris

Chef-1st wrote: »
    Well I got connected earlier today. Was all happy faces and chuffs from everyone after a bad start getting it up and running (brand new router was the problem).
    Initially was getting 85M - down, 7 - up. About 30ms ping. Excellent! That was when the installation techs lefts.

This evening, varying speeds from 3M to 18M. Not a good first day at all. I barely used it, was in work most of the day. So it couldn't have been the 20G a day cap. Averaging about 10M the past half hour. That might be acceptable for average 30euro a month wireless broadband, but not 60euro a month fibre, with only about 130 users so far on the one Wexford mast. Obviously, benefit of the doubt will be given. We'll see over the next few day.

These are the last few speed tests I've ran and copied.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/5389253361.png

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5389261877

http://www.speedtest.net/result/5389294607.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/5389305653.png
    Was it their pc that the original 80 mb text was done. What are you testing it on. Have you tried testing on mobile device and pc. Are you running anything else whilst testing. Just ruling out network card limitation if old pc

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just for clarity can you confirm they were wired tests (ethernet from laptop/PC to router)? Wireless tests are not worth the pixels they're displayed on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

...Varying speeds from 3M to 18M. Not a good first day at all. I barely used it, was in work most of the day. So it couldn't have been the 20G a day cap. Averaging about 10M the past half hour. That might be acceptable for average 30euro a month wireless broadband, but not 60euro a month fibre

Can we get a consensus here? This is fixed wireless in any man's language. It's not fibre!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

9726_9726 wrote: »
    Can we get a consensus here? This is fixed wireless in any man's language. It's not fibre!

It's being sold as such to the average punter.

If the previous post about 100Mbps per mast is true it's no wonder there's slowdowns in the evenings

Yeah I understand it's not real fibre, it is still just wireless broadband. To go from 85M to 10M in a few hours is just not cricket though.
    These were a mix of wired and wireless tests.
    I did check the speeds on multiple devices just to be sure. And also on multiple speed test web sites.
    Yep the initial tests were done on both his PC and mine.
    Nothing else running in the background to slow the speed.

Speeds this morning are back up to a healthy 90M.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/5390113721.png

Yeah I understand it's not real fibre, it is still just wireless broadband. To go from 85M to 10M in a few hours is just not cricket though.
    I did check the speeds on multiple devices just to be sure. And also on multiple speed test web sites.

Speeds this morning are back up to a healthy 90M.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/5390113721.png
    Let us know how you get on with this as would definitely affect my decision of keeping this if there is already contention issues when there is supposed to be a guarantee of always having 30 mbs

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

Thanks, Chef. Do we take it that the mobile screenshots were the wireless ones and the desktop ones were wired?

It's true, WiFi based tests are pointless as they can be tainted by internal bottlenecks.

Thanks for your input though, really interested to see how this pans out. Keep the wired tests coming this evening if you have the time.

• Advertisement

irishchris wrote: »
    Let us know how you get on with this as would definitely affect my decision of keeping this if there is already contention issues when there is supposed to be a guarantee of always having 30 mbs

Are you saying you already have Imagine's LTE Broadband?

Are you saying you already have Imagine's LTE Broadband?

No I have paid the deposit and installation has been delayed twice by a month each time as site keeps getting delayed. I'm due to be installed now mid July but if service is bad already in areas due to contention I may just claim my deposit back. Let us know how you get on with customer service when you contact them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

No I have paid the deposit and installation has been delayed twice by a month each time as site keeps getting delayed. I'm due to be installed now mid July but if service is bad already in areas due to contention I may just claim my deposit back. Let us know how you get on with customer service when you contact them

I'll be waiting 3 weeks tomorrow since the deposit was paid. They contacted me yesterday saying the installation team will be in touch with me next week and from the time of that phone call it will take up to 10 days for installation to happen. Realistically I'll be waiting another 3 weeks making it 6 in total. Not ideal but I've waited for years so another few weeks won't strain me too much!

Hoki wrote: »
    I'll be waiting 3 weeks tomorrow since the deposit was paid. They contacted me yesterday saying the installation team will be in touch with me next week and from the time of that phone call it will take up to 10 days for installation to happen. Realistically I'll be waiting another 3 weeks making it 6 in total. Not ideal but I've waited for years so another few weeks won't strain me too much!

Hoki, do you mind me asking from which mast you are getting connected

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

Hoki, do you mind me asking from which mast you are getting connected

Afaik its the Tonabrockey mast in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

I see their in Cork limerick kerry, any news on clare I see nothing on website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

jcd5971 wrote: »
    They keep updating there website every month keep checking it.

rob808 wrote:
    They keep updating there website every month keep checking it.

Yeah I will, ****ing clare never gets anything tho its like the land that time forgot, I see lads giving out their speed dropped from 80 to 15, and I'm thinking I'd literally smother my granny to get higher than 2 :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 48,141 ✭✭✭✭km79

Yeah I will, ****ing clare never gets anything tho its like the land that time forgot, I see lads giving out their speed dropped from 80 to 15, and I'm thinking I'd literally smother my granny to get higher than 2 :-(

same :D

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Pious14

Got a call last week saying they have s mast on woodcock hill which will have a 20 mile radius I think he said. That will cover s portion of Clare but I imagine most of those places will have fixed line broadband considering their proximity to limerick and Shannon etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭Jack Killian

Limerick isn't until next month, apparently. I'm waiting for them to go live too!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

If Imagine are expanding this service as quickly as I think they are expanding then they will clean up rural areas before the NBP even gets the green light!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Gonzo wrote: »
    If Imagine are expanding this service as quickly as I think they are expanding then they will clean up rural areas before the NBP even gets the green light!

I would think that is the intention. Get as many as possible signed up and the stronger any legal case against the NBP becomes.

I would think that is the intention. Get as many as possible signed up and the stronger any legal case against the NBP becomes.

As long as they deliver, who cares!

I'm 9 years waiting for decent broadband from eircom, and their latest map shows no lines within 2 miles yet again!

They've had vans around lately, so I reckon Imagine have finally spooked them into action, but until last month they had zero interest in providing any decent service, so they had their chance and blew it, and I'd hate to be relying on them if they're the ones who get the contract.

I can see city buildings from my house, so it's not like it'd be a major undertaking to implement something, but eircom gave me the two fingers.

Looking forward to the LTE and transferring the landline to it so that eircom don't even get a wholesale cut of what I pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I'm 9 years waiting for decent broadband from eircom, and their latest map shows no lines within 2 miles yet again!

They've had vans around lately, so I reckon Imagine have finally spooked them into action, but until last month they had zero interest in providing any decent service, so they had their chance and blew it, and I'd hate to be relying on them if they're the ones who get the contract.

I can see city buildings from my house, so it's not like it'd be a major undertaking to implement something, but eircom gave me the two fingers.

Looking forward to the LTE and transferring the landline to it so that eircom don't even get a wholesale cut of what I pay.

Worst case scenario here. Imagine challenge the NBP and are successful meaning that areas that were due to get (probably) FTTH by 2022 now will not. Some of these premises will fail line of sight tests for Imagine's product leaving them in limbo. Meanwhile Imagine's network now the de facto rural standard starts to creak under more and more subscriptions and speeds go down.

Worst case scenario here. Imagine challenge the NBP and are successful meaning that areas that were due to get (probably) FTTH by 2022 now will not. Some of these premises will fail line of sight tests for Imagine's product leaving them in limbo. Meanwhile Imagine's network now the de facto rural standard starts to creak under more and more subscriptions and speeds go down.

At least they're trying. Eircom were more interested in spending money on removing the last trace of "communication" from their name than investing in services.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

So far they keep upgrading if the mast gets close to capacity. They did some work yesterday on the Bweeng mast and I'm now getting pretty steady 60 to 80 Mbps with much less variation (as much as I can tell in the last few hours) - Speed History

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

At least they're trying. Eircom were more interested in spending money on removing the last trace of "communication" from their name than investing in services.
    'Imagine are trying and eir are not.'

Are you for real?

marno21 wrote: »
    'Imagine are trying and eir are not.'

Are you for real?

to be fair now eircom have made a complete shambles of internet rollout in this country.

and if you are anyways outside a large city or a very large town your done, no broadband for you.

like i said where we are in rural clare I am fairly confident in stating there will be no broadband delivered, by eir(com) in my lifetime (i'm 30 by the way).

A large portion of the country does feel that eir is not interested in pushing out the network as there is too much work for it to be profitable, especially as they are still well behind in rolling out to large population areas(relatively speaking in ireland anyway).

I feel the poster you replied to and me and many others are somewhat justified to claim that eir are not trying in rural areas.

which is why we are thankful that companies like imagine are coming in showing a viability to suppling rural ireland. Nobody is claiming fixed broadband is a panacea to all problems,but they are doing what they are saying they will do. but fibre will not reach all of ireland in this century most likely (yes an over-exaggeration... hopefully)

if you disagree hopefully this time you can muster a more reasoned response than "are you for real" as that doesnt real contribute to a real conversation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I've said it before here, here and here that Imagine's offering is not going to be future proofed and while people living outside of xDSL coverage would get a significant boost thanks to LTE, that boost would likely exclude them from the NBP and within a short few years you'll be back bytching that your kids can't watch Bosco on YouTubes lowest setting 34560p :eek:.

I'm in the same boat as you:
    1. No blue lines for miles - in fact we're in the middle of a black hole here
    2. I'm out of eVDSL range of the village exchange (which has now slipped from Spring/Summer to Summer and now to Autumn 2016 for eVDSL)
    3. I'm here over 10 years and had sh1tty one-way Satellite for a couple of years before getting 3Mbps FWA. That was great at first, but is a real struggle now.

I want a proper, future proofed solution and not a sticky plaster. If Imagine were looking to put up a mast in my area, I would object to it in order to stay included in the NBP intervention area.

Advertisement