Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Just had a chat with Lyndsay on Imagine chat support asking why it says on their website that its available in my area, when it is not due to go live until Mid July and this is the reply she gave me.

"The service is live in your area. It is live for presale. The mast is due to be installed Mid July and you can use the LTE service then" and when I suggested they update their website to accurately reflect the fact that it is not actually live at all, she simply closed the chat window down. No goodbye, can I help you with anything else, just closed.

Piss poor crappy customer service. I was going to setup a team selling this product, but not a chance now as I will not have my reputation ruined by offering a service which has such astonishingly low standards of customer service.

I am now contacting the regulator as I believe their website, which I have saved in the event they try and deny it, has been set out to intentionally mislead consumers into believing the service is already available.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

tvc15 wrote: »
    Now today they were back yet again on the roof and said they can get 50Mb with the receiver on the chimney - great! But 30 minutes after agreeing the install points etc. they no longer feel comfortable on the roof and won't install

Waiting to hear back from the office on the refund etc. but they said loads of houses they go to can't get reception if theres any trees around - hope to god these lads have nothing to do with the national broadband plan if their service requires working on a roof but they won't do it (that said I don't blame the lad installing if he wasn't provided with the correct equipment)

Well if they can't supply service to 100% of homes in an area, then this should automatically disqualify them from the NBP IMO.

It is problems like this that Eir ended up deciding that LTE couldn't be used to deliver the NBP and that FTTH was the only solution.

Remember Eir only Meteor, who are one of the three mobile networks and have massive amounts of experience with LTE, far more then imagine.

If Eir and Meteor engineers don't think LTE is good enough for the NBP, then it really isn't. I'm certain Eir would have used LTE if they thought they could get away with it. But it just isn't good enough, too difficult and surprisingly too expensive compared to FTTH!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

"The service is live in your area. It is live for presale.

Hahahahahahaha That is priceless! hahahahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tvc15

So despite already being on my roof and testing that I can receive the signal they won't provide me with a service, this is after offering to put up scaffolding, hire a cherry picker, do it myself, etc.

I had high hopes that a fixed wireless operator might be usable but between my experience and selling a product as being 'live for presale' they have lost me completely

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

I had high hopes that a fixed wireless operator might be usable but between my experience and selling a product as being 'live for presale' they have lost me completely

It is sounding more and more like a dodgy kickstarter campaign alright...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

My experience so far as someone in relatively close proximity to one of the masts:

Signed up for first group of installations - they came out and said they would need a longer ladder and never came back which was annoying but no money changed hands.

Eir were still dragging their heels until very recently so gave up with them and spent the €100 with Imagine who sent someone out within 3 days - great but they didn't have the right ladders that day either

2 weeks later they final come back with a new date and will have the right ladders so I wait around all evening until finally get a call that they aren't coming

Now today they were back yet again on the roof and said they can get 50Mb with the receiver on the chimney - great! But 30 minutes after agreeing the install points etc. they no longer feel comfortable on the roof and won't install

Waiting to hear back from the office on the refund etc. but they said loads of houses they go to can't get reception if theres any trees around - hope to god these lads have nothing to do with the national broadband plan if their service requires working on a roof but they won't do it (that said I don't blame the lad installing if he wasn't provided with the correct equipment)

When you say that "they no longer felt comfortable on the roof and won't install" do you mean that they felt that the reception would not be good enough or they were worried that they would fall off your roof!

polaris68 wrote: »
    When you say that "they no longer felt comfortable on the roof and won't install" do you mean that they felt that the reception would not be good enough or they were worried that they would fall off your roof!

They had a good signal with the test equipment when they were on the roof but decided against bringing up the antenna and fixings to do the installation, again not really the technician's fault if they weren't provided with the correct equipment

They had a good signal with the test equipment when they were on the roof but decided against bringing up the antenna and fixings to do the installation, again not really the technician's fault if they weren't provided with the correct equipment

Ok, and you've had enough with all this messing around and want to cancel and are looking for a refund of your €100?

Ok, and you've had enough with all this messing around and want to cancel and are looking for a refund of your €100?

I'd prefer they completed the installation but I don't think there's any issues with refunding me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭irishchris

I'd prefer they completed the installation but I don't think there's any issues with refunding me

What county are you in? I paid deposit over six weeks ago but no word yet from imagine since

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Chef-1st

irishchris wrote: »
    What county are you in? I paid deposit over six weeks ago but no word yet from imagine since

Jesus Chris, that's a long time. You'd want to be getting on to them.
    Unless you're in an area that isn't live yet?
    It seems Imagine have the 'squeaky wheel gets the oil' customer service going on. I understand that they're busy and might not have enough techs on the road for the demand, but after 6 weeks waiting, I'd be pretty annoyed at no contact from them. They should have been prepared for this if they're going to role out a wireless "fibre" broadband service around rural Ireland.

Chef-1st wrote: »
    Jesus Chris, that's a long time. You'd want to be getting on to them.
    Unless you're in an area that isn't live yet?
    It seems Imagine have the 'squeaky wheel gets the oil' customer service going on. I understand that they're busy and might not have enough techs on the road for the demand, but after 6 weeks waiting, I'd be pretty annoyed at no contact from them. They should have been prepared for this if they're going to role out a wireless "fibre" broadband service around rural Ireland.
    I assumed it was live when I signed up but then was told not live yet at that time. Map shows coverage now in my area so assumed would be contact from them

I contacted imagine and am so annoyed that after all this time nobody bothered to ring me to tell me it had been delayed by another MONTH. abbeyknockmoy mast is now expected to go live from mid July. I was informed last month that it may be delayed then I got a call to tell me that was nonsense and that it was still scheduled to go live mid June and I would be first connected. Several cases of misinformation has made me doubt the mid July date will even happen now on time. Really annoyed at the way they are handling customers since they have begun to get busy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

IPTV (inc HD) absolutely no problem for me with this service - very very impressed so far with this LTE service!

I drove from Letterkenny to Strabane and noticed they have put up Imagine signs in several places along the main road. All illegal and look like someone knocked them up from old wood laying at the side of the road. I will be removing them later 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭editorsean

They also have plenty of advertising on the radio claiming to offer 70Mbps in rural areas across Co. Donegal.

So I'm sure this is all keeping their phones busy with pre-orders and coverage inquiries . . .

Yeah, I cancelled my order within the 14 day cooling off period. Think I'll wait and see how this rolls out over the summer.

Yeah, I cancelled my order within the 14 day cooling off period. Think I'll wait and see how this rolls out over the summer.
    Why had you issues with their service?

irishfeen wrote: »
    Why had you issues with their service?

No I had just pre-ordered. I was supposed to be getting coverage from a new mast which was going live sometime from mid June to late July. I could sense that they weren't too sure about this anytime I spoke to them. A few posts on here give me the feeling that they are struggling to meet demand.

Most likely I'd be ringing them every few days for an update on my installation so I'm going to wait and see now this goes over the next few months.

No I had just pre-ordered. I was supposed to be getting coverage from a new mast which was going live sometime from mid June to late July. I could sense that they weren't too sure about this anytime I spoke to them. A few posts on here give me the feeling that they are struggling to meet demand.

Most likely I'd be ringing them every few days for an update on my installation so I'm going to wait and see now this goes over the next few months.

Which mast were you due to come off?

• Advertisement

Bweeng still holding up well, I presume by now its very near full capacity.

5378446736.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

The 14 day cooling off period only kicks in when they've actually delivered service to you, not from the order date. :D

irishchris wrote: »
    Which mast were you due to come off?

Whitechurch, Co Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

May I ask, do any of you guys play games over LTE (PC/XBOX/PS4)?
    Are the pings low and stable? What is your experience?

I had wireless broadband a couple of years ago and weather used to have an effect, I mean heavy rain and wind.
    Ping would become erratic, but worse was packet loss. You would probably not notice having a bit of packet loss when browsing and streaming, but packet loss while gaming makes nearly all games unplayable...

Currently I'm on crappy dsl line and only getting ~8meg down/512 up at best. I'm less than 1.3km from nearest efibre box but eir won't even check it for me because... computer says no

LTE looks very interesting.

Ruffty^ wrote: »
    May I ask, do any of you guys play games over LTE (PC/XBOX/PS4)?
    Are the pings low and stable? What is your experience?

I had wireless broadband a couple of years ago and weather used to have an effect, I mean heavy rain and wind.
    Ping would become erratic, but worse was packet loss. You would probably not notice having a bit of packet loss when browsing and streaming, but packet loss while gaming makes nearly all games unplayable...

Currently I'm on crappy dsl line and only getting ~8meg down/512 up at best. I'm less than 1.3km from nearest efibre box but eir won't even check it for me because... computer says no

LTE looks very interesting.

Read the thread, its already been covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Ruffty^ wrote:
    May I ask, do any of you guys play games over LTE (PC/XBOX/PS4)? Are the pings low and stable? What is your experience?

Read the thread, its already been covered.

To be fair that was a while back no harm at all in asking for an update on the question, it matters to alot of people who might hope to avail of the service.

Not all posts can be about driving around donegal taking down signs ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

I am a gamer (mmo) and packet loss is usually 0 % and in game pings (server in Amsterdam) are usually between 50 and 70. No issues gaming at all even with Netflix streaming at the same time on a different device.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Anto73

Now I got imagine in last week.So far so good. Speeds perfect on PC,android box and lap top but for some reason ps3/ps4 running at only 10 to 20mbs though wired connection. Anybody know why and how to fix

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kazoo106

Are they still using the BBC Strabane mast to provide Donegal coverage on 3.5GHz - If so anyone who signs up would be crazy as Imagine do not hold a 3.5 License in the UK

• Advertisement

jcd5971 wrote: »
    To be fair that was a while back no harm at all in asking for an update on the question, it matters to alot of people who might hope to avail of the service.

Not all posts can be about driving around donegal taking down signs ;-)

Illegal signs, littering the beautiful countryside while they peddle lies about the service being live!

I am still getting it of course, because options are unfortunately limited given how utterly sh1te Eir are.

Advertisement