Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭pauldry

Pouring in Sligo since 4pm 17.5mm so far in that time.
    After cold June comes wet July

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a horrendeus evening here in Meath, lots of surface water and gutters splashing water onto the ground with several hours of heavy rain.

Staying unsettled between now and Wednesday with showers. Overall it won't be as wet as today and it looks like we might miss the big deluge on Tuesday and have showers instead.

After Wednesday it looks like becoming dryer with just the odd shower around and becoming warmer. Temperatures generally 18 to 21C/22C from Thursday to Sunday while Saturday may get a bit higher than that.

8mm in Arklow from today's showers
    We had some thunder around 8

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭giveitholly

RobertKK wrote: »
    I wish we were getting a lot more rain here in my area of Kilkenny, only light stuff so far.

Did you get much rain after that? if I remember rightly you are on high and very dry ground so your land must be very parched

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Shepards Delight

pauldry wrote: »
    Pouring in Sligo since 4pm 17.5mm so far in that time.
    After cold June comes wet July

Sounds like your name Pauldry could become Paulwet soon .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Delighted to see the garden finally get some decent rain here in D5. Cut the grass this afternoon and it was so dry but getting good solid rainfall for a few hours now. Badly needed it

21mm in Sligo now. Prob over 30mm by morning. The 18c at 3pm is now 12c and air a lot cooler out there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Gonzo wrote: »
    a horrendeus evening here in Meath, lots of surface water and gutters splashing water onto the ground with several hours of heavy rain.

giphy.webp

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

pauldry wrote: »
    21mm in Sligo now. Prob over 30mm by morning. The 18c at 3pm is now 12c and air a lot cooler out there

Same temperature currently here in Galway and 'cool' is not how I would describe it. Horrible, muggy feeling evening out there.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭mcburns07

We've an awful climate really :( this sort of weather in peak summer is sickening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Sunny morning in Dublin after the rain yesterday evening. Met eireann going with drier weather overall from Wednesday with some showers. Forecast doesn’t seem as bad for week ahead as was previously expected. To be honest that rain yesterday was needed in these parts but happy for it to be just temporary. I would take a repeat of June please

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

mcburns07 wrote: »
    We've an awful climate really :( this sort of weather in peak summer is sickening

Could you be any more dramatic?

jackrussel wrote: »
    Could you be any more dramatic?

I can try :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭OldRio

Torrential rain yesterday. We said goodbye to a cloudy dissapointing June. Only to be replaced by a wet early July.
    Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭JPup

mcburns07 wrote: »

Are you west coast? We’ve had a great run of weather the last month or so in Dublin.

JPup wrote: »
    Are you west coast? We’ve had a great run of weather the last month or so in Dublin.

South coast. Let's not kid ourselves, even a "great" run of weather in Ireland is very average in comparison to elsewhere in Europe, even northern countries like Sweden, Finland etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,333 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Have to disagree, I would say this summer (in Dublin) has been pretty much my idea of perfection so far. Without the odd drop of rain the country wouldn't be so green and beautiful. Even yesterday evening which was wet was preceeded by a gorgeous mornig which we enjoyed on a walk by the sea.
    I dont really like dry hot summers like in the continent, just makes my skin itch and its too hot to do anything than lay around and sizzle like sausages. My wife, who comes from a country where it regularily hits mid thirties in the summer thinks its great too, the whole of idea of being able to do something relatively active in the middle of the day in midsummer is brilliant in her view.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Have to agree, weather in Dublin the last few months has been excellent. Obviously not Costa del sol but very very good. Bbq and tanning out the back most days. Loads of golf in great conditions.

Was up in donegal last wknd and the weather was great as well tho, so either I've a very different idea of great weather or the sun follows me:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭JPup

Yeah I tend to agree. I had a kid going off to summer camp this morning. 18-20 degrees with partial to full sun and a slight breeze. Perfect.

25-30 degrees is nice for a sun holiday but it’s not very practical if you actually want to do anything. Above 30 is just tough. You’re just relying on staying indoors mostly with air conditioning until the evening.

Bigger picture, the Irish climate/geography has virtually no natural disasters. We don’t get the giant insects and spiders they have in the tropics. No water scarcity. Think of the poor people living in Africa and the Middle East. Booming populations without the necessary water or arable land. No wonder those regions have almost endless wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Supercell wrote: »
    Have to disagree, I would say this summer (in Dublin) has been pretty much my idea of perfection so far. Without the odd drop of rain the country wouldn't be so green and beautiful. Even yesterday evening which was wet was preceeded by a gorgeous mornig which we enjoyed on a walk by the sea.
    I dont really like dry hot summers like in the continent, just makes my skin itch and its too hot to do anything than lay around and sizzle like sausages. My wife, who comes from a country where it regularily hits mid thirties in the summer thinks its great too, the whole of idea of being able to do something relatively active in the middle of the day in midsummer is brilliant in her view.

It's been great here for weeks now

Even the weekend just past which was supposed to be a washout was mostly fine and warm.

Today started out nice too. Forecast for this week a week ago was very poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭sporina

lovely sunny morning here in CC.. really feel for those up in the NW/W.. my bro is in the NW and he just sent me a pic of his new car.. its grey - almost camouflaged by the grey weather in the background :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭highdef

sporina wrote: »
    lovely sunny morning here in CC.. really feel for those up in the NW/W.. my bro is in the NW and he just sent me a pic of his new car.. its grey - almost camouflaged by the grey weather in the background :(

Was assuming CC would be Cork City but then thought it could be Cork County which is a huge area and then was thinking it could be County Carlow, Cavan or Clare so now I haven't the foggiest as to where you are but my money is on Cork city as it's the most removed from the NW.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭sporina

highdef wrote: »
    Was assuming CC would be Cork City but then thought it could be Cork County which is a huge area and then was thinking it could be County Carlow, Cavan or Clare so now I haven't the foggiest as to where you are but my money is on Cork city as it's the most removed from the NW.

you wer right the 1st time :) (I post here often - got tired typing "Cork city" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

highdef wrote: »

Could be just city centre too…

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Is it to get nice again any time soon

28mm of rain yesterday

lashing again today.

Bring back freezing June

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Actually not too bad in D5 now, sunny spells, going for a jog soon in the park looks like nice conditions

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

an average day here in Meath, alot of cloud but when the sun is out it feels fairly mild.

It still appears we will miss most or all of that deluge which will be heading straight into England and Wales tomorrow, however it may clip the far south-east on it's journey there. However we could have a fair number of showers to deal with tomorrow instead. We get a break from the unsettled conditions on Thursday and most of Friday before more rain and showers over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Zero sun. Overcast and damp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

North Yellow rain warning
    -Slow moving showers will turn heavy and perhaps thundery by the afternoon, most likely across west and central areas. Where showers do occur they could give 10-15 mm, perhaps 20 mm in a couple of hours with the potential for some travel disruption and some localised flooding. Showers will die out through the evening.

Advertisement