Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,072 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Come back June....all is forgiven. Another absolutely miserable day :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

tomorrow should offer some respite from the unsettled conditions with a generally dry day. Thursday may have showers in the east and Friday looks mostly dry again but there could be some rain or showers in the far west and south-west. The outlook looks more of the same with rain or showers most days and temperatures around average in the 15 to 19C range.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭sporina

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Come back June....all is forgiven. Another absolutely miserable day :(

I want April back - it was fab here

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

sporina wrote: »
    I want April back - it was fab here

Could be worse. July isn't great so far but it's nowhere nearly as bad as July last summer. At least it's a little bit milder compared to this time last year and not as overly wet.

The outlook for the next 7 to 10 days isn't great but there should be the odd nice dry and hopefully sunny day mixed in. Last July we had the heating on almost daily and the garden was a swamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,790 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Kind of raining in my part of Dublin, very dull today. I don't even mind this weather that much but if we can assume that August will be terrible as usual, we've only really a few more weeks of potential summer left!

• Advertisement

Kind of raining in my part of Dublin, very dull today. I don't even mind this weather that much but if we can assume that August will be terrible as usual, we've only really a few more weeks of potential summer left!

Hopefully the second half of July will be better. There are signs for the high pressure to have more of an influence from later next week but the Azores looks like it has a tough job on it's hands trying to extend into Ireland with plenty of low pressure in the North Atlantic. August will probably be no surprise, however first half of September can often be fairly settled and rather warm. I have far more memories of warmer and dryer Septembers compared to Augusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,790 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yeah I remember a few years ago maybe 2015, Sept and Oct it seemed to be like 14 or 15c every day and lots of sun and hardly any wind, for weeks on end. It was really beautiful.

heavy steady rain here in Meath and cool at only 14C, today is a bit of a write off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭appledrop

Miserable day, raining and only 14 degrees.

Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭sporina

appledrop wrote: »
    Miserable day, raining and only 14 degrees.

Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

where?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,283 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Good dousing here in NCD

• Registered Users Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭pauldry

Raining in Sligo

There was no Summer weather here this year at all.

We normally get at least one warm sunny spell. Im including April May and June.

There was an odd sunny day here and there in all those months and the last really sunny day here was June 21st and it was 17c that day.

Is it all the volcanoes that are making 2021 the year without a Summer?

Britain isnt faring well either strangely. But Leinster and Munster are missing bullets. Im afraid that luck wont last either and July looks unsettled all over bar the odd dry day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

London has had appalling weather, it has been raining at Wimbledon pretty much every day. Had there not been a roof on the two main courts they would be in serious trouble with scheduling, they had a lot of rain at queens tournament in the lead up too. I think they have had worse weather in Britain than us during much of June and even July
    pauldry wrote: »
    Raining in Sligo

We normally get at least one warm sunny spell. Im including April May and June.

There was an odd sunny day here and there in all those months and the last really sunny day here was June 21st and it was 17c that day.

Britain isnt faring well either strangely. But Leinster and Munster are missing bullets. Im afraid that luck wont last either and July looks unsettled all over bar the odd dry day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

London has had appalling weather, it has been raining at Wimbledon pretty much every day. Had there not been a roof on the two main courts they would be in serious trouble with scheduling, they had a lot of rain at queens tournament in the lead up too. I think they have had worse weather in Britain than us during much of June and even July

Yep it’s been bad over there. Nice to see them get a bad spell of weather. Normally they get a continental influence each summer. I’m sure it will happen eventually. It remains to be seen if we get some warm continental weather. I’ll remain optimistic for now.

horrendous day today in Meath, a total flashback to last July.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

esposito wrote: »
    Yep it’s been bad over there. Nice to see them get a bad spell of weather. Normally they get a continental influence each summer. I’m sure it will happen eventually. It remains to be seen if we get some warm continental weather. I’ll remain optimistic for now.

Yeah, theres a reason the Romans stopped at the Welsh Coast and where they ultimately built Hadrians Wall and it wasn't because the Caledonians and Hibernians were unbeatable foes. Just wasn't worth the effort when you couldn't even grow wine in Caledonia and Hibernia given the weather was so ****ty then just like it is now! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Absolutely bucketing down in Dublin 16. Hoping there will be a bit of thunder and lightning.

Flash flooding around some of the local roads around Dunshaughlin. Rain coming down here in torrents for the past 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,826 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If that fire is still burning on the Hill of Howth, then it's an exorcist they need, not a fire engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

I can't get over some of the temps in Iceland over the past two weeks or so - highs of 20 to 25º each day.

Admittedly things are far, far cooler in the capital Reykjavik and the high temps tend to vary quite a lot by location each day - meaning no single place has been basking in glorious temps for days on end.

But still - if you compared the daily max temp in Ireland versus Iceland over the past few weeks I'd say they'd be hotter!

How did June fare nationally for us temp wise? Dublin was a bit warmer than average but many places further West weren't at all... global warming really not making much of an impact on our summers yet - temp wise at least...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

pauldry wrote: »
    Raining in Sligo

There has been a good summer so far here in the east. Absolutely no complaints at all. Today is a different story, with downpour after downpour, but sure that's just topping the reservoirs back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Pretty bad here in Kildare. Traffic at a standstill.

557812.jpeg

Gonzo wrote: »
    Flash flooding around some of the local roads around Dunshaughlin. Rain coming down here in torrents for the past 2 hours.

Very dangerous driving conditions this evening on N4 and M50. On two occasions my windscreen was totally covered in surface water, so couldn't see out for a few seconds.

Scary stuff, and it's still pouring down.

There has been a good summer so far here in the east. Absolutely no complaints at all. Today is a different story, with downpour after downpour, but sure that's just topping the reservoirs back up.

Yep otherwise no doubt Irish water would have been out telling us there was a hose pipe ban.

Today is miserable but hopefully its a once off , June was outstanding in Dublin 9/10.

Pretty bad here in Kildare. Traffic at a standstill.

557812.jpeg

The N4 was absolutely lethal this evening.

The return of the westerlies they call this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

compsys wrote: »

How did June fare nationally for us temp wise?

About average (+0.2c). Silghtly warmer in the east as you say and slightly cooler in the west.

New Moon

fvp4 wrote: »
    The return of the westerlies they call this.

The westerlies are indeed back in business. This weekend and first half of next week is now also looking very unsettled. Hints of high pressure into the second half of next week but I wouldn't be banking on a return to settled conditions as we are back under the conveyor belt of low pressures for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

horrendous day today in Meath, a total flashback to last July.

Dunsany has had 27.0mm of rain to 1800 today which is its wettest day since Storm Francis on 25th August last year.

Your garden must be squelching :P

• Advertisement

The westerlies are indeed back in business. This weekend and first half of next week is now also looking very unsettled. Hints of high pressure into the second half of next week but I wouldn't be banking on a return to settled conditions as we are back under the conveyor belt of low pressures for the time being.

Bbc weather more optimistic for mid to end July. Of course that could just be for them.

Then they say overall the rest of the summer is mixed.

Honestly. I hate august in Ireland. It could be the height of summer but mostly isn’t.

Advertisement