Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Did they just knock $100 off the prices?

ypx4Oe0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Pricing is not as bad as leaks lead to believe.

Was going to get a 1080ti but think I'll go for the 2080. I'll wait for 2070 results first though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

2070 > 1080ti :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭game4it70

No 2070's listed on ocuk,strange.

Has there been any benches shown yet to compare with 10 series?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

game4it70 wrote: »
    No 2070's listed on ocuk,strange.

Has there been any benches shown yet to compare with 10 series?

Polish site said about 2070 shipping on later date, could be the reason.
    2070 FE TDP 175W, one 8pin power needed,wow, just wow.
    I'm totally in. Just curio us how its gonna impact new consoles. Pc master race?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

My RTX 2080 ti is preordered just there now, this looks like a actual gamechanger. Actual image quality improvements.

My Palit 1080 ti gamerrock will be for sale on adverts at a bargain price

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Waiting to see actual real game benchmark results first. Bit mad they didn't mention anything like that.

Nvidia store is getting bashed. Page won't open for me. Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

yoshiktk wrote: »
    Polish site said about 2070 shipping on later date, could be the reason.
    2070 FE TDP 175W, wow, just wow.
    I'm totally in. Just curio us how its gonna impact new consoles. Pc master race?

The next gen consoles are supposed to be using AMD CPU's and GPU's so I don't think this raytracing stuff will be a factor in console games at all and just be like the current Nvidia softworks stuff, its something that most people turn off to get better fps.

There was also very little comparison fps wise to previous gen cards so is this just raytacing and not the huge performance boost the 10 series cards came with?

• Advertisement

* Nvidia is recommending PC gamers have a 650W power supply, as the base RTX 2080 draws up to 215 watts of power.

superg wrote: »
    Waiting to see actual real game benchmark results first. Bit mad they didn't mention anything like that.

It not going to be slower than pascal, and pascal is already plenty fast for anything below 4k. The fact that battlefield and Metro are launching with RTX support means that finally we are going to get a graphical bump in games. There has not been image quality improvements in about 4 years, everyone is obsessed in framerate increases andjust keep bumping the monitor refresh rates.

Infiltrator demo was shown which is not RTX and ran twice as fast on turing than on pascal.

Likely a 30% bump from ti to ti in current games, but its the RTX features are the selling point hence the focus on them.

Venom wrote: »
    The next gen consoles are supposed to be using AMD CPU's and GPU's so I don't think this raytracing stuff will be a factor in console games at all and just be like the current Nvidia softworks stuff, its something that most people turn off to get better fps.

There was also very little comparison fps wise to previous gen cards so is this just raytacing and not the huge performance boost the 10 series cards came with?

That's why I was curious, as I did remember about AMD.
    Now we need to wait for new GPU from them?
    5 times faster than Titan sounds better.

I'd say the 10 series cards will get a good discount now. If the 2070 is about 5 x faster than a 1080ti more people are going to opt for that than get a high end 10 series card. Will be interesting to see benchmarks now but going to have to wait a month or so for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Nvidia's ray tracing is still directX 12 based.

There is no reason why AMD could not do something similar with their own hardware based ray tracing core.

2070 will only be that much faster in heavily ray traced scenes. Probably around equal performance in normal rasterised scenes.

its not 5x faster except in RTX tasks. RTX can be done in software on 10 series cards and its hardware accelerated on RTX cards. It is a misleading statement. The number of cuda cores and the memory bandwidth figures are more of an accurate predictor of current shader based games....looks about 30% from model to model.

I'll be waiting for benchmarks before i put any preorder in anyway. No doubt it will be hard to get your hands on any of them this side of Xmas.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The prices floating around are obscene, and I say that as someone running x2 1080 Founder Editions bought on their day one of release.

Scan are quoting nearly £1400 for an Asus 2080 TI. Unless the benchmarks are truly world changing, then it looks like I'm skipping this generation. It's not like there's many DX12 games about, let alone ray traced ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Laughable prices.

The BF5 demo, especially some textures looked low res. Its a shame that RTX will be available after the open beta.
    For me 2070 is perfect. Have new tech and it is not power hungry as bigger brothers. For 1080/1440 will be enough.

its always the law of diminishing returns the 2070 seems to be a sweet spot alright...wonder will there be a titan version?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

£1,399 for an ASUS RTX 2080 Ti.

That's an entire rig.
    Not some budget starter rig either. That's 1060+monitor rig, at least.

AMD need to pull the finger out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

its madness, they have realised that they dont have to use the ti as a stop gap between generations at a similar price to say a 1080, they just charge a premium and add it to release, then the titan comes along after a few months for $1999

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's just gone bonkers. Back in the R9 290 v GTX970 days, things were decent. Then came the GTX series, and the retail price in the EU went from 349 to 499 for the 970 replacement, the 1070.

I'd expect the new RTX to be the same. What should be a €349 card (GTX1070 replacement) will be a €500+ card....because they can. Getting really tired of it.

I paid €350 for an R9 290 in what, 2013? And here we are in 2018, FIVE years later and to get a class replacement I'd have to shell out about €420 (1070). Even to get a literal performance replacement (GTX1060 or RX580) is almost €300.

Please Intel, you cannot get into the GPU market fast enough...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭FriendsEV

Serephucus wrote: »
    £1,399 for an ASUS RTX 2080 Ti.

That's an entire rig.
    Not some budget starter rig either. That's 1060+monitor rig, at least.

AMD need to pull the finger out.

Can it run Crysis?

Has the time come?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Looks like very few spotted the change of chip from the 2080 to the 2070... In the past Nvidia always used the same chip for the 70 and 80 CPU line up but this time moved to 80 and TI only where the 70 now is a true downgrade. So it looks like they changed the goalposts knowing the 2080 (without raytracing) is not a huge jump on it's own so had to TI the butt off it on day one/out the gate or the reviews would call it out.

It's just gone bonkers. Back in the R9 290 v GTX970 days, things were decent. Then came the GTX series, and the retail price in the EU went from 349 to 499 for the 970 replacement, the 1070.

I'd expect the new RTX to be the same. What should be a €349 card (GTX1070 replacement) will be a €500+ card....because they can. Getting really tired of it.

I paid €350 for an R9 290 in what, 2013? And here we are in 2018, FIVE years later and to get a class replacement I'd have to shell out about €420 (1070). Even to get a literal performance replacement (GTX1060 or RX580) is almost €300.

Please Intel, you cannot get into the GPU market fast enough...

Nvidia knows that they are ahead few months over Amd 7nm Vega so they try to milk us now. Now we just need to wait for NDA to expire, hopefully before 20th, and see what real time results are.
    Just don't jump the bandwagon, Nvidia will smell the blood in ocean.

• Advertisement

ti to ti the RTX has 1000 more cuda cores and GDDR6 memory bandwidth is up. Assuming clocks will be about the same but it seems most cards are overclocked as I cant seem to find any founders editions out there. Performance will be 30% up I would guess and maybe more in 4k.

What has me excited is that PUBG, Battlefield, Tomb raider, Vulcan API and UE4 all support RTX. This means if you are not checking that box your not seeing the game at its best. As a member of the master race I cannot have that. Agree that the pricing is a bit naughty. The Ti seems to be the new titan. SLI seems to still be a thing wonder how it will scale? For so long all we got was speed increases, and you can see on this thread that people are obsessed with it. Finally we now have new features that make a difference to games.

Your 2500 euro elite gaming rig will now have 1300 of a GPU and 1200 of other parts, which is probably about right cause CPU really doesn't make much difference any more they are all pretty good. I will be interested to see if there are any bottlenecks on RTX with CPU?

Console peasants are falling very far behind..............

Advertisement