Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Bout Dem Bears?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,829 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

adrian522 wrote: »
    Good win all the same, no harm letting Lacy have his yards, they were never going to win without being able to pass the ball.

Yeah it's just something that needs work in future weeks, he found it very easy to get space and we really struggled to take him down.

But a win is a win is a win, you can only beat what's in front of you, and all the other cliches. And a win over the packers is always sweet, I don't care who they're missing, we were missing plenty of absolutely vital players ourselves and I'd be quite optimistic looking forward now. Cutler possibly back next week? Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Take a bow Josh McCown and Marc Trestman. Great gameplan, I loved that they came out throwing the ball. Other teams talk about how they have confidence in their backup, but the Bears showed it yesterday in their gameplan, and McCown delivered.

Didn't get much help from the running game in the first half, but McCown showed great poise in the pocket. Didn't run out too early, stayed when the pressure was there and made the throws. Have to give the guy credit for that, you don't see many backup QBs with that much coolness in the pocket.

Got good protection, but still had to trust it. Jeffery had a big first half, he's having a great season. Pass-rush was great, even before Rodgers went out. Didn't see that coming at all. Run-defense we'll gloss over (don't know how they missed so many tackles stacking the box). Special teams we'll also gloss over (unblocked rusher on a punt).

Got the run-game going in the second half and Forte had a big game to take it home. Actually didn't like the call to go for it on 4th-and-inches from their own 30. Packers offense was perfoming pretty badly at that stage, and with a 4-point lead, I thought a punt would be a better option. Forte had a big play there because it looked like he was going to get stopped.

But that was about the only one I disagreed with in a brilliant gameplan. I'm really enjoying having a good offensive coach on the sideline. Just all the little things he gets right, the variation in the plays, the little wrinkles you see. I was thinking before the game 'this is when you find out about your coach, not when you have everyone healthy, but when you're without key players'. And a win in Lambeau is a pretty good result in that respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

I spent yesterday drawing up my own scouting report on Clowney- now I'm freeing up some post-season holidays. Football, eh?

I adore this offence. No league leaders in any position but so much talent spread so well across the field- masterminded by Trestman, whose array of plays has been sensational. That trio of receivers is lethal and Forte just bossed it. I'm rubbing my eyes at every down watching the O-line- I didn't know what one was until this season. Emery needs serious kudos for that revamp- it's remarkable.

Credit where it's due- I never saw that pressure coming from the D. It's possibly the biggest positive of the night. Shea was a different player. Run defence is chronic but eminently fixable, especially when Lance gets back. The safeties are beyond a disgrace.... it's the one area where there's no hope. And I mean none.

But last word can only go one way. Given the latest, I may never see Josh McCown play another snap but I won't forget that one in a hurry. He should be proud of himself. He managed the game so well. He was chuffed afterwards, family travelled from all over to see it and I'm delighted for him.

Regarding mccown, we can also be fairly confident that if anything else happens to Cutler during the season we won't be hitting the panic button.

I'm delighted with yesterday same as everyone but coming back down to earth, where does this leave us? A win next week (whichever QB we are using) seems possible but we will be facing a better offense...but IF we won, and with AR out for a few weeks, wouldn't it be nice to start thinking that a playoff spot might be a very real possibility again, maybe, just maybe, even finishing top of NFCN?

But my realistic side is telling me this is one win against a depleted team and the bear fan tendency to lose the run of ourselves needs to be kept in check.

At least til next week...

Regarding mccown, we can also be fairly confident that if anything else happens to Cutler during the season we won't be hitting the panic button.

I'm delighted with yesterday same as everyone but coming back down to earth, where does this leave us? A win next week (whichever QB we are using) seems possible but we will be facing a better offense...but IF we won, and with AR out for a few weeks, wouldn't it be nice to start thinking that a playoff spot might be a very real possibility again, maybe, just maybe, even finishing top of NFCN?

But my realistic side is telling me this is one win against a depleted team and the bear fan tendency to lose the run of ourselves needs to be kept in check.

At least til next week...

• Advertisement

Any thoughts on player of the season?

Forte is on course for 2k in yardage and 14 tds. Probably the indispensable in that offence. Marshall has cemented himself a top 5 WR- given the amount of options in the passing game his production is impressive. Long has been a flat out revelation. Honourable mentions to Jeffery (Stud), the Black Unicorn and Mills (A 5th round rookie ffs). Briggs may have had a shout but for the injury. He was the last trace of blu-tac holding that D together before Monday night.

All things considered I'll plum for Chris Conte, the unsung hero of the flourishing Chicago safety unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,180 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Cutty has been cleared to play :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Massive game tonight and probably a must win, although with the Packers without Rodgers for a few weeks they might lose a few. Our Defence must tighting up especially with the Lions running game. High scoring game but Bears to just shade it I hope.

Badabing wrote: »
    Massive game tonight and probably a must win, although with the Packers without Rodgers for a few weeks they might lose a few. Our Defence must tighting up especially with the Lions running game. High scoring game but Bears to just shade it I hope.

Yeah huge game, the fact that they've already lost to the Lions. Win and you take control of the division, lose and you're probably scrapping for a wildcard.

Good to have Cutler back, but getting the win probably depends on the defense keeping Reggie Bush and Calvin Johnson in check. Interesting to see how they play that, whether they leave the safeties deep or bring them up into the box more. I'd kind of favour defending the run first, and trusting Tillman more or less one-on-one with Johnson. Even if Tillman got beaten for a couple of big plays, probably better than getting gashed for 7 or 8 yards every play in the run game.

Hopefully they get better start than the previous Lions game, when they got behind early and had to abandon the run.

Can't believe Cutler played the whole game. First time I've been pissed with Trestman. He should have been taken out in the 3rd Q after the first series.

edit: McCown in for the final series. Too f*ckin late now Trest.

• Advertisement

Farcical.

Yeah it was a poor call. We've been horribly unlucky in the red zone today though, really have left it behind.

My god could Trestman have had a worse day?

Shame, great shame.

SameOleJay wrote: »
    My god could Trestman have had a worse day?

Shame, great shame.

Sickened by that loss tbh, we had a great chance to take control of the division and some bad decision making threw it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Miller1

Watched this online and the laptop nearly went out the window a few times...Cutler second half had no protection at all..spent most of his time on his arse.Should have been pulled along time before he was.Was impressed with the defence tonight.

Miller1 wrote: »
    Watched this online and the laptop nearly went out the window a few times...Cutler second half had no protection at all..spent most of his time on his arse.Should have been pulled along time before he was.Was impressed with the defence tonight.

I actually thought the protection was ok, he got a lot of late hits that the refs didn't call. Funny that once it happened to mccown it was called. Maybe we just need a more personable QB to get those calls...(joke btw, I like Cutler)

Miller1 wrote: »

I actually thought the protection was ok, he got a lot of late hits that the refs didn't call. Funny that once it happened to mccown it was called. Maybe we just need a more personable QB to get those calls...(joke btw, I like Cutler)

I think Jay's contract has taken a pretty big hit these last few weeks. With the quality of this draft class he'll fall well behind Stafford's I'd say.

Watching last night's game and we're miles behind the Panthers in all honesty. I think 9-7 is par performance this season and may still scrape a playoff spot.

Peanut placed on IR with return designation. Season over unless the team makes the playoffs. Cutty has a high ankle sprain and is week-to-week. So it looks like McCown is the guy the next few weeks.

Three wins is a real possibility the next three weeks imo. The defense has to continue to play well like yesterday and I am not worried about the offense with McCown. That would have us at 8-4 ahead of the Monday night game with Dallas. I'm not ready to call this season yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Tillman done for the season is a massive, massive loss. Yesterday's defeat definitely lies with Trestman. Should have pulled Cutler at half time at the latest, shouldn't have even plated yesterday in fairness. Probably going to go down to the wiredown for the playoff spot.

• Advertisement

Feel bad for Peanut. Reality is he was a broken man every week we forced him out- he clearly has Chicago at heart so it's a shame to say this is probably the end. There's a shedload of cap space coming this off-season so it's interesting times.

The more I think about yesterday the worse it gets.

Feel bad for Peanut. Reality is he was a broken man every week we forced him out- he clearly has Chicago at heart so it's a shame to say this is probably the end. There's a shedload of cap space coming this off-season so it's interesting times.

The more I think about yesterday the worse it gets.
    It's just one thing after another with this D, but Tillman was still doing ok so I dunno about writing him off. But yeah, as defeats go, this one particularly damaging. No reason to despair yet though. It's a crazy league. Let's bear down! (yeah I'm drunk)

Forget the playoffs- it won't do your health any good.

The Lions have us in the division and 49ers are an absolute lock. Carolina are not losing 4 more games with that D- it's outrageous.

If McCown plays out managing a well oiled offence then there's serious questions over Jay's future. He's my favourite player in the league but we can't be throwing 14 odd mill a year at him when an average QB can manage the Trestman offence. Keeping McCown and drafting a project early may end up the best bet at QB.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ChicagoJoe

Forget the playoffs- it won't do your health any good.

The Lions have us in the division and 49ers are an absolute lock. Carolina are not losing 4 more games with that D- it's outrageous.

If McCown plays out managing a well oiled offence then there's serious questions over Jay's future. He's my favourite player in the league but we can't be throwing 14 odd mill a year at him when an average QB can manage the Trestman offence. Keeping McCown and drafting a project early may end up the best bet at QB.
    Josh throws the ball with anticipation, no matter how ugly the ball is passed it is catching the defender AND the WR off guard when it comes. The difference is the WR knows when it should be coming. Josh may get into trouble if the initial read is covered and then he must go to the second or even third read.

Yeah, I'm kind of pessimistic now about making the playoffs. Would need to go 5-2 to reach 10-6, with 4 of the 7 games on the road. Think McCown will be ok, just think the loss of Tillman might be an injury too much for the defense. Pity because they probably played its best game of the season on Sunday.

Best chance is probably catching the Lions. They showed themselves to be a flawed team on Sunday, and you can see them slipping up. So you still need to keep playing. Maybe the Steelers can do us a favour this week (and we can return it).

There's been some very dodgy throws that he's gotten away with, I don't dispute that. I don't believe him to be of a starting calibre. But, the O has been very fluid for the most part with him under centre. The Rams may be his acid test- he'll be under the cosh all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ChicagoJoe

Chicago should have no problems putting up more than 20 pts against the Ravens. However Ravens weakness on offense this season strangely enough is a weakness for the Bears defense. Rushing. If Rice and Pierce can finally breakthrough, then it will be trouble.

Well, it wasn't pretty, we coughed up a huge number of penalties, and struggled with the run as expected, but it's a very valuable W.

Mccown continues to manage the game nicely, and it's interesting that even on a day when Marshall isn't performing well we were very good in passing (Jeffrey had more receptions again). Despite having far fewer plays we got way more yards than Baltimore. I thought it was odd we didn't run it more especially in the red zone, we had six downs within five yards at one stage and didn't run it at all.

On D way too many penalties. I'm starting to like Bostic but really the main plus was peppers, who was great. Conte is really poor...for all of that, they only coughed up twenty points. I know the weather helped...

Speaking of the weather, anyone else think we would prob have lost without the delay? Really got ourselves organised at the break. The ravens really don't like breaks...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Massive win last night really impressed with MCcown again im more confident with him in the team, 2 massive away games coming up Rams and Vikings win these and you never know. Lions have the Bucs and Packers at home next 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

I know it is a post about his wacky dance moves but lads in the gif on the main forum in this with Long celebrating Forte's TD; it is good to see the first three guys to get to Forte after his TD were Slauson, Long and Mills - good sign of the OL in my uneducated opinion...

Advertisement