Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How Bout Dem Bears?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

I've liked everyone of the off-season moves thus far.

Bush was farcically bad last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭padraig_f

SameOleJay wrote: »
    And Bennett signs on for Seattle.

Apparently we had more on the table too. Shame.

Damn, don't like talking about rumours, but thought from the language they were using, it was virtually done. Apparently DE free-agent market is pretty thin now, so I guess keep Peppers, and draft a DE in 1st two rounds.
    Oat23 wrote: »
    Darren Sproles impending release from NO is interesting. I've always been a fan and he could be a great pickup for the offense (and ST). Forte, Sproles and Ford would be good depth at RB. He hasn't been released yet though.

Yeah, surprised they let him go. Probably couldn't afford to spend much on him, but would be useful alright. I like the way the Saints use their RBs, the way they catch a lot of passes, would be interesting with Sproles and Kromer there, you could implement some similar things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

So we get Lamarr Houston on a 5 year $35million deal. Surely Peppers is cut later today and that will leave enough space for a similar splash on someone else

Seen very little of him but I read he's capable along the line and effective against the run. Music to my ears.

Bushrod, Bennett, Brandon. There's Emery's big off-season record. I have total faith.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,368 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Peanut and McCown visiting Tampa. Pretty sure Lovie won't let Peanut leave without a deal. :(

Don't know much about Lamarr Houston, but looks like a good signing on the face of it. Aged 26 and ranked 11th last year by PFF out of 52 4-3 DEs. Should be just hitting his peak now.

Seems like he has more strength as a run-defender, but that's a need after the awful run defense last year.
    5. Lamarr Houston

2013 Grade: +11.4
    2013 Snaps: 1,049

Lamarr Houston, a 2010 second-round draft pick, was one of the bright spots on a weak Raiders defense. He was especially helpful in defending the run, earning the sixth-best grade in this area among 4-3 DEs and the best Run Stop Percentage among that group (with a minimum of 230 run defense snaps qualifying).

His production in terms of harassing signal-callers was not as impressive, though. In the first seven games he did contribute four sacks (including a rare strip-sack of Peyton Manning on Monday Night Football), nine QB knockdowns and 25 hurries. In the last nine games, however, he was much less of a factor, mustering seven QB hits but only a pair of sacks and 16 hurries. It is fair to wonder if opposing QBs would’ve been more uncomfortable against him if his team was still in playoff contention late in the year.

Ranking the 2014 Free Agents: Edge Rushers

Peanut and McCown visiting Tampa. Pretty sure Lovie won't let Peanut leave without a deal. :(

You can also see why it might be a good idea from Tillman's point of view, playing for a defensive head-coach who he's already had success with, could add a couple of years to his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

And talk Melton is there too... Chicago Bay Buccaneers??? All they need now is Peppers as well!!!

Pity I really was looking forward to him last year - a huge loss with injury.

Wouldn't it be great if they could find a way to resign Melton - giving with Houston a young but high quality base for the DL, would sure up that area for the foreseeable future... Would allow the draft to focus on other defensive needs maybe???

What’s interesting about the Houston deal and even more so if Wootton/Melton re-signs is that it opens up the 14 pick entirely. The DT Donald looked nailed on per most mocks but I suspect this could bring DE, LB, Safety and even corner (if Peanut goes ) on the table.

Best defensive player available I suspect because, really, our needs are everywhere.

According to spotrac here we are currently $13million under the cap. It doesn't include the salaries for Jay Ratliff, Ryan Mundy, Jordan Palmer & Nate Collins.

Allowing $3million for those 4 and $5million for our rookies we still have the guts of $5million to use in free agency. That is of course assuming no more cuts or contract amendments which I cant see happening

• Advertisement

Interesting article using statistics to evaluate the Cowboys' decision to cut DeMarcus Ware:
    Why the Dallas Cowboys Had No Choice in Cutting DE DeMarcus Ware

Was reading it considering the Houston deal, and he says fair value for a DE works out approx $1m per sack recorded. Houston had 6 sacks last year and the Bears are paying him $7m, so close to fair value.

But he also says that sacks have a large random element (small sample size etc.), and a better indicator of future sacks are QB-pressures. Also historically that pass-rushers record 1 sack for every 4 QB-pressures. So if you want to better predict their sack rate, take their QB-pressures and divide the number by 4.

I checked out Houston's QB-pressures last year, 41! So his season last year, where his official sack number was 6, was more like a 10-sack season, which means fair value should be closer to $10m/year. Nice numbers for a guy more known for his run-defense.

DE Willie Young signs. 3 years 9 mill apparently.

PFF's 16th highest graded 43 DE.

3rd among 43 DE's in QB hurries (48)

Positive grade against both the run and pass.

Long armed 6'5" pass rusher

Tell ya what, this defensive line could be very decent yet.

I really like that move, I think its coming together nicely. If we can re-sign Wootton and draft the best DT on the board in the first round I think our line will be much improved

Nice, the QB-hurries stat is very impressive.

Some big FA money spent on secondary players around the league, but I prefer spending the FA money on the d-line, and maybe use the draft more for the secondary.

Need to have the d-line fixed first, so good to have some proven talent there.

Gets the vote of approval from Kyle Long too..."I'm glad we don't have to block that avatar anymore.... %WillieYoung"

BinrRcqCQAApe4L.png

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

DE Willie Young signs. 3 years 9 mill apparently.

PFF's 16th highest graded 43 DE.

3rd among 43 DE's in QB hurries (48)

Positive grade against both the run and pass.

Long armed 6'5" pass rusher

Disappointed he's gone from the Lions, but even more so that its to a division rival. Was hoping that the Lions would get the chance to re-sign to a relatively cheap new contract, thinking he wasn't going to get that much interest in FA, seeing as last year was the first time that he got his opportunity as a full time starter & did rather well although not putting up great sack numbers.

He should do quite well for ye.

• Advertisement

Lionbacker wrote: »
    Disappointed he's gone from the Lions, but even more so that its to a division rival. Was hoping that the Lions would get the chance to re-sign to a relatively cheap new contract, thinking he wasn't going to get that much interest in FA, seeing as last year was the first time that he got his opportunity as a full time starter & did rather well although not putting up great sack numbers.

He should do quite well for ye.

Thanks for the note.

The consensus on Lions’ forums is he’s not that great a loss (7th rounder I believe?). And, obviously, much of the focus would have been elsewhere on that defensive line.

But, at the end of the day, he's not Shea McClellin... and that's just about enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

Thanks for the note.

The consensus on Lions’ forums is he’s not that great a loss (7th rounder I believe?). And, obviously, much of the focus would have been elsewhere on that defensive line.

But, at the end of the day, he's not Shea McClellin... and that's just about enough for me.

That was one thing on my mind - lining up next to Suh & Fairley - I don't think he will have faced much double teaming or scheming to account for him but he has to be an upgrade on what was there...

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Thanks for the note.

I think he is quite a big loss even if he was a 7th rounder. He was our most consistent DE getting much more QB pressures than Ziggy & also played the most snaps out of all the DE's last year.
    Obviously the Lions FO must have confidence in the two rookies drafted last year if they were ready to let Young go so easily. I know Ziggy will get better for next season, but not too confident on the rest of that position group.

But yeah, Young should definitely be an upgrade over McClennin.

Peanut is back on a 1 year deal apparently. Hopefully he can stay healthy for the year and continue punching the ball out.

Happy with FA now. Bring on the draft!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Peanut is back on a 1 year deal apparently. Hopefully he can stay healthy for the year and continue punching the ball out.

Happy with FA now. Bring on the draft!

Fantastic news. Was getting worried when he went to meet Smith in Tampa the other day. As you say really hope he can stay healthy now.

• Advertisement

Under 3.5 mill. Emery's played a blinder this FA.

God bless Peanut.

Cool.

@dabearsblog: "If season started today, here's your defense: Young-Ratliff-Collins-Houston, Briggs-Williams-Bostic/Shea, Jennings-Peanut, Conte-Mundy"

Draft DT, safety, then maybe CB, and you're looking pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

padraig_f wrote: »
    Cool.

@dabearsblog: "If season started today, here's your defense: Young-Ratliff-Collins-Houston, Briggs-Williams-Bostic/Shea, Jennings-Peanut, Conte-Mundy"

Draft DT, safety, then maybe CB, and you're looking pretty good.

Can't agree at all. Have been really busy with work so haven't had time to post properly but have been following free agency and wanted to wait to see most/all the moves before commenting.

Overall I've found it very meh. Too many here with their navy and orange glasses on imho.

Anyway looking at that lineup (which obviously has to be added to via the draft) we have Collins coming off an ACL and is a back up player imho and Ratliff is by no means guaranteed to stay healthy. We've also Paea who hasn't played 16 games in a season in the 3 years he's been in the league. So a lot of injury worries at DT - we better carry 5 on the roster imho.

Looking at where the sacks will come from at DT? Well as I say Collins is a back up esp coming off an ACL, so looking at Ratliff and Paea - Ratliff has 5.5 sacks in his last 38 games with Dallas. Playing 3 tech beside Paea he did manage 1.5 however in 5 games (probably about 4 really) so at least that is a bit encouraging. Paea has 2 sacks a season average (6 in 3 seasons). So basically we are going to need a 3 tech DT who can get us about 8 sacks imho - we better pray Donald gets to us and is as good in the NFL. This from a team who let Izzy go after a 7.5 sack season playing DT over a $1 or so. And they now want him back?:confused: (a year too late imho)

At end we've Houston who I think is a good addition (the one move I really like), but by no means is guaranteed to generate 8+ sacks (16.5 in 4 seasons though 6 in his last year) - he's more of a run stuffing end so that Young can tee off but Young had 3 sacks (less than McClellin) playing in probably the best or if not 2nd best DL in the league with Fairley and Suh pushing the pocket. He won't get that to the same degree here. This is our big hope for sacks - a $3m a year man? Again he hasn't done much prior to last year (0 sacks in 2012). The QB hurries is impressive but ends need to generate sacks - simply hurrying Rodgers won't cut it - top class QB's will still make those throws under pressure. I think the biggest concern is a lack of history for a 28 (nearly 29 by time league starts). We've zero depth at end.

Looking at the linebackers - Williams is another injury concern - a rupture of anything is serious so there has to be concerns it will re-occur. anyway him and Briggs are another year older and another year slower. If either goes down it will leave a massive gap (particularly Briggs). Bostic was so average last year - a rookie yes but look at Jamie collins or Alonso - if you've got it you've got it and I'm not sure he does but hopefully he can put it together and just be solid and not a waste of a 2nd round pick. McClellin shouldn't even be listed imho until he shows something - hasn't played LB for 3 years.

The safties are woeful - Conte (s'hite), Jennings (s'hite also) and I assume Mundy is here to help play the run but 2 interceptions in 80 games? Is this what Phil means by a playmaker?

Overall we look injuries to Houston and Briggs away from disaster on both those lines.

I can't believe they are going to let Wotton go (I think i'm incensed by this most), who is 26 had 7 sacks playing end in 2012 - who unselfishly moved into DT last year when need and still had 3 sacks - an excellent player against the run and who should be given a chance back at end. He has the size and length they crave. And they are replacing him with Young who is 28, shorter, lighter and 3 sacks playing alongside Ansah, suh and Fairley. He's exactly the dependable, adaptable and unselfish type of player we need esp with all the injury concerns at DT. He was able to win a starting role on one, if the best, defence in the league in 2012 and now replaced by Young who was a back up until last year and only got in due to injury?

Our Dline looks woefully short of sacks and looks set up to stop the run mainly, ( I see a lot of blitzing yet we've 2 old linebackers and safties with f'uck all sacks in the past) we lack depth in all positions and we'll need a super draft.

I just don't get how the signing of Mundy (29), Young (28) - the resigning of Williams, Tillman and Ratliff and how this fits with getting younger and more dynamic talk. We are letting Melton (27) & Wotton (26) go. I guess it's all about money.

Bottom line is we've now no Peppers, Melton or Wotton but have Mundy, Jennings, Young & Houston. That's hard to dress up as being an improvement imho.It's what I expected after Cutler's contract - no stars, just a load of 1 year vet contracts, some okayish players and one mid range splash signing.

Wotton had hip surgery. I doubt anyone will touch him for a while yet. Let’s see how it plays out, he may well come back on the cheap yet.

I suspect Melton is gone. We just don’t have the cap space to take a chance on him if Dallas and Seattle have a real interest.

Given the Cutler deal I think Emery has had a very decent free agency. The moves that matter are Young, Houston, Peanut and, to a lesser extent, Mundy. Hixon and Jennings will bring depth, however bad. The 4 names combined will average less than 15 mill a year. That is value by any metric. There’s plenty of holes left but I fancy us to have a mid-ranking D post FA and draft. We were never bridging the gap to Seattle or San Fran in one off-season.

I’d be interested to hear what you would have done with the money available. The only name that stands out for me as being a high value miss is TJ Ward but there is nothing to suggest he would have picked us over Denver. Bennett was clearly a non-runner after all.

Wotton had hip surgery. I doubt anyone will touch him for a while yet. Let’s see how it plays out, he may well come back on the cheap yet.

I suspect Melton is gone. We just don’t have the cap space to take a chance on him if Dallas and Seattle have a real interest.

Given the Cutler deal I think Emery has had a very decent free agency. The moves that matter are Young, Houston, Peanut and, to a lesser extent, Mundy. Hixon and Jennings will bring depth, however bad. The 4 names combined will average less than 15 mill a year. That is value by any metric. There’s plenty of holes left but I fancy us to have a mid-ranking D post FA and draft. We were never bridging the gap to Seattle or San Fran in one off-season.

I’d be interested to hear what you would have done with the money available. The only name that stands out for me as being a high value miss is TJ Ward but there is nothing to suggest he would have picked us over Denver. Bennett was clearly a non-runner after all.

Don't worry I'm not trying to prove i'm a better GM than Phil, just that I'm not sold on his defensive moves bar Houston. I loved last seasons FA moves - these are very much meh. Houston is the only player I'm fully happy with on the Dline. Looks like another below average defence but we'll see what the draft brings.

Well we need a 3 tech in the 1st or 2nd round now with Melton gone.

Regardless of the knee or money situation we just lost a pro bowl 3 tech. Our defense was a lot worse without him last year. Any rookie drafted is going to face a steep learning curve and have to play at a very high level right from the get go.

I'm a bit worries we are going all out to stop the run after last year but will have no penetration.

Donald is a must I think. Let’s hope he can make the transition in the pass-rush. Could be big trouble otherwise. I’m even more concerned about linebacker.. I don’t have confidence in one of that unit to produce consistently.

Earl and Weems gone by the looks of it… wonder do we have one more splash to make in FA.

Earl and Weems gone by the looks of it… wonder do we have one more splash to make in FA.

Certainly seems that way. I was hoping they'd get Chris Clemons (S - miami) but they've certainly added a lot of volume (if not quality) at that position.

We need to re-sign Britton too so hopefully they get that done.

Wotton gone to the vikes (good pick up for them), to add to peppers to the pack. You never want ex players in your division as they'll be super motivated at least twice a year.

Disappointed by that and worried. Looks like the Izzy move last year which came back to bite us (when we got injuries). Would have at the very least made a good rotational player, strong against the run and can get some sacks too. Our depth players at end (Izzy aside who is more a DT at this stage anyway and is probably finished anyway) have little to no NFL snaps.

3 of our 4 Dline starters gone last year - yet our biggest problem remains (our DC) and we've still got conte on the roster somehow.

It turns out Melton is only guaranteed about 2 mill in his first year. AND Dallas can drop him like a hot snot if he doesn’t perform.

If Wotton’s deal (confirmed 1 year) is on the cheap I will not be impressed.

EDIT: Yup, it’s only 1.5 mill. That makes no sense to me.

• Advertisement

It turns out Melton is only guaranteed about 2 mill in his first year. AND Dallas can drop him like a hot snot if he doesn’t perform.

If Wotton’s deal (confirmed 1 year) is on the cheap I will not be impressed.

EDIT: Yup, it’s only 1.5 mill. That makes no sense to me.

Neither make sense to me. Looks like a clear out for the sake of a clear out. Yes they played (in Melton's case only 3 games) on a shocking defence last year but they've both also played on dominant defences too. Both are legitimate players. In both cases there are injury concerns but that's factored into the prices and lack of guaranteed and how can you let them go based on injury concerns yet keep Ratliff and Collins (2 of our only 3 DT's on the roster). I'm confused.

I'd have been happy to see both players back with those numbers or even slightly more.

Emery has to prove he can draft defence and draft defence well this offseason. It's his 3rd offseason and if the Bears don't make the post season again next year he has to take some serious flak - the it was J Angelo excuse will be gone by then.

McClellin is a €1.14m cap hit this year - has never played a snap at LB in the NFL, has looked brain dead football wise, gets abused by TE's (yet they are still talking of his rushing the passer ability) yet we let Wotten go for $1.5m?

You gotta feel sorry for him - having taken one for the team and played inside last year.

He'd have been amazing value at $1.5m, even just to play run downs (6'6 and 270lbs). I don't get paying Young $3m and not giving Wotton $1.5m at 26. Even if it doesn't work out this year that's not a huge outlay. Certainly makes more sense than giving Izzy who barely played last year near $1m at 34. Even on the injury thing - the hip surgery isn't massive BMarsh has had 3 of them and we aren't canning him and Wotton has played 32 of the last 32 games. This is the decision I like least this offseason - I'm actually pretty p'issed off.

I'm sure i'm seen as ever the pessimist around and this will only add further to that but but I wanted to link to this as there are some interesting articles linked (if I do say myself) on the basics of a 4-3 and last years oline for anyone that's interested.

As you can see I'm really worried about the defense we are putting together from a depth point of view more than anything.

There’s a cap expert on another forum and, if his numbers are correct, we just couldn’t afford Melton. Apparently if we are to afford the draft class and keep a couple mill for the season in case of injuries then we only have about 2.5 mill left in this FA.

So, basically, unless Jay’s deal is manoeuvred to avoid the huge 2014 hit it’ll be journeyman competing for a roster spot here on in. Emery must have serious confidence in A)His upcoming draft and B)His long term employment if he doesn’t indeed touch Cutler’s deal.

There’s a cap expert on another forum and, if his numbers are correct, we just couldn’t afford Melton. Apparently if we are to afford the draft class and keep a couple mill for the season in case of injuries then we only have about 2.5 mill left in this FA.

So, basically, unless Jay’s deal is manoeuvred to avoid the huge 2014 hit it’ll be journeyman competing for a roster spot here on in. Emery must have serious confidence in A)His upcoming draft and B)His long term employment if he doesn’t indeed touch Cutler’s deal.

I'm in agreement, we couldn't afford to keep Melton, will make $5mil this year, too much for us.

I'm hoping we don't touch Cutler's contract this year. If we can fill the rest of our roster through the draft and veteran minimum contracts then i'll be reasonably happy. I don't believe there is anyone out there that warrants a big splash that the money from amending it will allow. If that option can be kept for future years then gives us a lot more flexibility. We were never going to transform our defense over one offseason but I think we've taken a good step forward

Listening to the Ross Tucker football podcast yesterday, he had SI's Doug Farrar on, and they were talking about the Raiders. Farrar said he thought Lamaar Houston was the most under-rated player in the NFL and the Raiders screwed up not franchise-tagging him.

I know everyone seems to like the Houston signing, but good to hear it coming from an objective observer.

I'm a fan of the podcast. He also has Greg Cosell on every Wednesday doing previews of draft prospects.

The content is very decent but Ross Tucker's voice does my nut in.

He had the Irish guy from PFF on one day... Cian something. He was excellent. I felt proud for some reason.

padraig_f wrote: »
    Listening to the Ross Tucker football podcast yesterday, he had SI's Doug Farrar on, and they were talking about the Raiders. Farrar said he thought Lamaar Houston was the most under-rated player in the NFL and the Raiders screwed up not franchise-tagging him.

I know everyone seems to like the Houston signing, but good to hear it coming from an objective observer.

I'm a fan of the podcast. He also has Greg Cosell on every Wednesday doing previews of draft prospects.

Thanks for that, will add it to the ipad later and have a listen.

Bears have created $4m in cap room after converting some of Cutlers G'td into a bonus.

$10.5m cap room before putting aside some for the draft class.

Bears have created $4m in cap room after converting some of Cutlers G'td into a bonus.

$10.5m cap room before putting aside some for the draft class.

Would have preferred not to see us do that and accept this year for what it is - rebuilding. Then we'd be in a better position next year. We can't seem to decide if we are win now or rebuilding. The only thing I liked about the cutler money was it was front loaded to this year leaving us in great position next year and year after assuming he stays healthy.

Is the $4m spread over next 2 years? (in the guranteed period? or over the remaining 6?) Just seen it's over the remainder of the contract.

Hopefully get Britton and Bowman resigned and hopefully pick up another young,high upside FA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Jared Allen? Not bad...

I've hated him for years. Him and his stupid sack dance. But as long as he gets to the QB, I'll love him.
    @adbrandt: Allen to receive $32M over four years, with $15.5M guaranteed, per @MikeGarafolo. Translation: contract is 2 years, $15.5 million.

Phil Emery/Cliff Stein football gods etc.

jaredAllen-joost5-mullet.gif?w=600

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

That's a lot of money for a pass rusher who will be 32 in a week.

Much, much less than Peppers was going to get. And he is a better player.

Very happy with the deal at this price.

Nah, it really isn’t. It’s 2 years for 15.5 mill. Not a cent after that is guaranteed.

Contrast that with the deals for Ware (same age) and the 34 year old Peppers.

Good addition, hopefully he proves to be good value.

But a strange one - doesn't fit with getting younger and certainly not with rebuilding.

Looks like it's win now mode - so hopefully for that outlay, combined with Cutler's contract and Houston's to add with Bennett's & Bushrods last year - we can at least make a play off game. Anything else will now be a failure.

Better hope he isn't massively on the downgrade or it will still look a very expensive 2 years. Still looks risky compared to Seattle's 1yr/$5m guaranteed.

He should help Houston, Young, Bass & Washington with their techniques - his hand use is just awesome.

• Advertisement

I thought someone was going to overpay Allen for this reason or give him too long a contract, but the guaranteed money seems reasonable to me, $15.5m/2 years.

He performed well last year, I'm just looking at some of his durability stats...

@SeifertESPN Perhaps unnoticed nationally: Jared Allen never missed game in 6 years for Vikings, playing 93 pct. snaps

@SI_PeterKing Mr. Durable, Jared Allen. Snaps played in Minn: 2013 1083 2012 1081 2011 1044 2010 962 2009 945 2008 980 Best among Min DLs all 6 yrs.

So I think it's ok. If it's overpaying, it's not by much, and definitely improves the d-line.

On the Cutler restructure that facilitated this move, to me it makes sense. Cap is going up $10m this year, and expected to go up another $10m the following year. Makes sense to push a bit of that cap-hit back.

Contrast that with the deals for Ware (same age) and the 34 year old Peppers.

2013 sacks:

Peppers - 7
    Ware - 6 (13 games)
    Allen - 11.5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

He's been amazing for many seasons, and the 2011 season where the Vikings went 3-13 and he nearly broke the sack record was phenomenal. However he was poor last year, no two ways about it. He had no interest in stopping the run, just simply rushing on the outside continuously to try and get his beloved sack, and leaving a gaping hole for the other team to rush into. His selfishness and desire to get sacks has been a good trait but it really worked to the teams detriment last year. He also looks to have lost some ability. The matchup with Joe Thomas last year promised to be a classic, but Jared never got the slightest look in. I would like to wish him the best but he's gone to the wrong team for that. One consolation is that if he starts that messing again this year, there's players in NFC North who can easily take advantage. By training accounts Kalil has his measure in any case these days too.

2013 sacks:

Peppers - 7
    Ware - 6 (13 games)
    Allen - 11.5

As much as I like Allen and no doubting his production that's an unfair comparision; Ware changed to a 4-3 and had a new DC, and Peppers had Landon cohen and Corey Wotton playing DT for part the season with McClellin getting abused by TE's and looking lost. Allen had the same defence plus a 1st round pick in Floyd and an improving Griffen.

I like the signing but lets not blow our own trumpets unnecessarily.

Bushrod (getting no help) was comfortable against him for the most part last year, which has to be a concern.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    He's been amazing for many seasons, and the 2011 season where the Vikings went 3-13 and he nearly broke the sack record was phenomenal. However he was poor last year, no two ways about it. He had no interest in stopping the run, just simply rushing on the outside continuously to try and get his beloved sack, and leaving a gaping hole for the other team to rush into. His selfishness and desire to get sacks has been a good trait but it really worked to the teams detriment last year. He also looks to have lost some ability. The matchup with Joe Thomas last year promised to be a classic, but Jared never got the slightest look in. I would like to wish him the best but he's gone to the wrong team for that. One consolation is that if he starts that messing again this year, there's players in NFC North who can easily take advantage. By training accounts Kalil has his measure in any case these days too.

I remember his ignoring the run against the Bears last year too. I was praying for Trest to run the Alshon end-around, and when he did it went for a huge gain. Hopefully it is not as big a problem this year.
    kennyb3 wrote: »
    As much as I like Allen and no doubting his production that's an unfair comparision; Ware changed to a 4-3 and had a new DC, and Peppers had Landon cohen and Corey Wotton playing DT for part the season with McClellin getting abused by TE's and looking lost. Allen had the same defence plus a 1st round pick in Floyd and an improving Griffen.

I like the signing but lets not blow our own trumpets unnecessarily.

Bushrod (getting no help) was comfortable against him for the most part last year, which has to be a concern.

You're always so negative on here. What does Emery have to do for you to be happy? We needed an offense, he gave us a terrific one. Defense is bad? He is fixing that too. He's a proven DE, and along with Houston and Young there is so much potential there. The rotation will be a helluva lot better in 14' than 13'. It also allows the team to do a lot of different things with the 14th pick.

Sacks are king at the end of the day. He had more than Peppers, he is a better player and we got him for a lot less than Peppers was going to cost. Emery is doing a great job.

--

Your call for Cutler to be released and go with a rookie while fixing the D was also wrong. Bennett was not interested in money and we have done will in FA anyway. After the draft, the D will be good enough to be at least middle of the pack and we still have our franchise QB. Not some rookie who may or may not work out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement