Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Video, General Discussion [Ireland]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,518 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

dulpit wrote: »
    The layout and approach Netflix uses just works, Prime's doesn't. If they could essentially copy Netflix, they really should.

Theres a deliberate difference in ideology. Prime tries to push premium content. Which distorts it's UI. But it's bad even with out it.

Prime works much better with voice control on its own boxes. But some stuff like tracking progress through series across different profiles is just broken. i think it struggles with its regional restrictions. You can have one episode in a series region blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,518 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

The other thing is that many people don't even notice a bad interface. They'll just muddle through and not get annoyed by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Flinty997 wrote: »
    The other thing is that many people don't even notice a bad interface. They'll just muddle through and not get annoyed by it.

You've only got to use https://www.justwatch.com/ to see just how bad the amazon interface is. Amazon's idea of their own new releases is just ridiculous.

It can't take much muddling through to notice that Amazon's interface isn't giving a very good picture of what is available.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭hkjohn

You've only got to use https://www.justwatch.com/ to see just how bad the amazon interface is. Amazon's idea of their own new releases is just ridiculous.

It can't take much muddling through to notice that Amazon's interface isn't giving a very good picture of what is available.

Agreed. Oddly, the other night I was looking for something when a Jimmy McGovern series from around 10 years ago popped up as being viewable despite being from the Acorn channel.

Does anyone know if all Acorn TV shows are available here via Am Prime as Acorn was one of the channels that disappeared with Starz, etc, in Jan.

Accused is very good btw if you've not seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

hkjohn wrote: »
    Agreed. Oddly, the other night I was looking for something when a Jimmy McGovern series from around 10 years ago popped up as being viewable despite being from the Acorn channel.

Does anyone know if all Acorn TV shows are available here via Am Prime as Acorn was one of the channels that disappeared with Starz, etc, in Jan.

Accused is very good btw if you've not seen it.

Watched a couple of episodes, it is very good. Well worth a watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭hkjohn

Watched a couple of episodes, it is very good. Well worth a watch.

Unfortunately, S2 won't show.

Amazon Prime has an awful habit of doing this sort of stuff. They yanked S4 of the excellent Animal Kingdom which is unfortunately not available on DVD

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭cozar

The underground railway is excellent although some scenes are a hard watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,267 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

cozar wrote: »
    The underground railway is excellent although some scenes are a hard watch.

Was going to watch this the other night, decided to wait until I was in a better frame of mind.

One thing I noticed is that the entry was completely missing in all of the TV sections on my prime. The only way i could find the show was by searching explicitly for it. Bizarre to me how bad the prime video layout is

• Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Was going to watch this the other night, decided to wait until I was in a better frame of mind.

One thing I noticed is that the entry was completely missing in all of the TV sections on my prime. The only way i could find the show was by searching explicitly for it. Bizarre to me how bad the prime video layout is

Yeah same for me. Seems bizarre they're not highlighting a new series at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I recently got Prime Video & started watching Vikings, only to discover that one episode "isn't available" . Very annoying in a series.

I also keep getting the dreaded "error code plr_prs_call_failed" message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Discodog wrote: »
    I recently got Prime Video & started watching Vikings, only to discover that one episode "isn't available" . Very annoying in a series.

I also keep getting the dreaded "error code plr_prs_call_failed" message.

Search again for Vikings some of the series have more than one listing 401 for example. Sometimes one works fine when the other has missing episodes.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Finished season 9 of the X-Files. This one felt like a chore to get through a times, particularly in the first half, but it had its moments (some spoilers below).

Interesting to read the discussion above about episodes not being available as I found that to be the case here - the actual two-part finale was not available! I find that pretty outrageous. Luckily, I have Disney Plus so I was able to watch it on that, but I'd feel sorry for someone that made it all the way to the end on Prime and couldn't see the conclusion. Maybe it's a temporary omission on Prime's part, I dunno.

The season starts promisingly enough. I had forgotten Lucy Lawless was on the show. Apparently, the plan was for her to be a recurring character but she had a high-risk pregnancy so that idea got scrapped. Brad Follmer is a nice, unlikeable character but I was disappointed his story arc doesn't really get any sort of significant pay-off. Totally forgot Burt Reynolds is in an episode. It was alright.

Scully feels like a big third wheel in this season and the focus on Mulder - who doesn't show until the finale - begins to get tiresome. I really liked Doggett by the end of this and I feel he was a worthy addition to the show. I would have liked to learn more about Reyes. I think their X-Files partnership worked reasonably well but I didn't feel the romantic chemistry was there. It's not a patch on Mulder and Scully's.

I feel Doggett and Reyes were let down by poor episodes and the Super Soldier arc never really goes anywhere. There were some good ones like the 'Release' episode where Doggett gets some closure on his son. 'Audrey Pauley' is an interesting episode with Reyes trapped in her mind. I also enjoyed '4-D' which has a parallel universe storyline. 'Sunshine House' about the Brady Bunch house is fun but it felt like a Mulder and Scully story to me with Doggett and Reyes shoehorned in.

The Lone Gunmen episode was odd as I was sure that Mulder and Scully were the ones there for the trio's final moment, but I had misremembered as it wasn't either of them. It's a shame Mulder wasn't there for this given the history, although he does have a moment of sorts with them in the finale.

Speaking of the finale, I remembered it as being an epic, brilliant episode from when I first saw it, but watching it all these years later I found it quite dull for almost all of it up until the final twenty minutes or so. I guess they wanted to find a way to explain everything that went on in the previous 9 years, but even with the recap, the mythology still sounds very confusing. I had completely forgotten Kersh's moment of redemption in this which was great, but it felt very rushed. It all happened in about two minutes. I enjoyed the reference to the first episode in the final moments. Favourite moment was the helicopter part.

Overall, not the greatest season but the characters are still likeable to me. I'm glad they didn't end it here. Planning now to watch the 2008 film which I've never seen, and then hopefully carry on into season 10 - provided the episodes are available.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,349 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Solos can be flagged under pointless venture anyway,a harmless but ultimately nothing show.

The short episodes and big names made me last the distance and even though the last episode has a way of weaving the rest together it's rather weak with zero payoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Watched Deutschland '83 and enjoyed it so went to watch Deutschland '86 only to find it's not available. What's that all about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Watched Deutschland '83 and enjoyed it so went to watch Deutschland '86 only to find it's not available. What's that all about?

They just don’t have the license to stream at the moment.

They do the same with a lot of shows I don’t know why they don’t just remove the listing - bad housekeeping maybe?

. Season 6 of Fear the Walking Dead is also listed but unavailable and I’m pretty sure it was available earlier in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

They just don’t have the license to stream at the moment.

They do the same with a lot of shows I don’t know why they don’t just remove the listing - bad housekeeping maybe?

. Season 6 of Fear the Walking Dead is also listed but unavailable and I’m pretty sure it was available earlier in the year.

its on 'all 4' along with 89

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/deutschland-86

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/deutschland-89

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

• Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Do you need a VPN to watch them?

Can watch it for free from Ireland. You might just have to register with account.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Do you need a VPN to watch them?

no and the all 4 app is on most devices

Is there a way on Prime to mark a season as unwatched or to to remove a whole season from the viewing history in the Prime iOS app?

I know how to unwatch episodes in the app. I don’t have access to a computer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

Really enjoyed Clarksons Farm. Easy watchimg and a good laugh.. well worth a watch if you like clarkson and farming :)

Glebee wrote: »
    Really enjoyed Clarksons Farm. Easy watchimg and a good laugh.. well worth a watch if you like clarkson and farming :)

Have to agree. Wasn't sure what to expect, but it's really quite enjoyable. The young lad who works with him (Kaleb I think?) is great. I think I'm 3 episodes in, Covid is about to hit anyway. Well worth the watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Clarkson's Farm was great.

Unlike May's terrible cooking show and Hammond's bizarre desert island show, Jeremy knows how to make fun engaging telly.

Kaleb was a very witty sidekick too.

I'd say a second season is on the cards.

Basq wrote: »
    Clarkson's Farm was great.

Unlike May's terrible cooking show and Hammond's bizarre desert island show, Jeremy knows how to make fun engaging telly.

Kaleb was a very witty sidekick too.

I'd say a second season is on the cards.

Leave James May alone. Admittedly I haven't seen the cooking show, but Our man in Japan was excellent, and his stuff with BBC (ManLab, Toy Stories, Reassembler) are all great too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I watched the first episode of Clarkson's Farm and liked it. Rather predictably, the Guardian gave it 1/5. I liked May's cooking show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭mossie

Leave James May alone. Admittedly I haven't seen the cooking show, but Our man in Japan was excellent, and his stuff with BBC (ManLab, Toy Stories, Reassembler) are all great too.

Our Man in Japan was good, cookery show wasn't great. Hammond's show was pretty meh to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Enjoying Clarksons farm, even my OH who absolutely despises Clarkson finds it good! It's a bit forced as usual with it being his shtick but what do you expect from a pig but a grunt :D

Also thought our man in Japan was good, found it a bit slow at times but worth a look overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭archfi

I watched the first episode of Clarkson's Farm and liked it. Rather predictably, the Guardian gave it 1/5. I liked May's cooking show.

As predictable as ever is that rag.
    Not in any way a fan of Clarkson (not a driver, no real interest in cars), but I am really enjoying this show.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I enjoyed the cookery show - May is good company regardless of what he's doing.

• Advertisement

Not exactly the place for this question but it involves Prime Video so…

Three are offering 3 free months of Amazon Music Unlimited and Prime Video.

I already subscribe to Prime Delivery which includes Prime Video. Would this prevent me from taking the Three offer or would Amazon refund me for the remainder of my subscription?

And would this affect my membership of Prime for free deliveries since that is how I get Prime Video at the moment?

Advertisement