Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virgin 1Gb now available.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Does VM still use dslite? If I upgrade from my current pack (I'm on a very old 120meg line that I never bothered upgrading yet).
    I've never been on dslite, its a really old account that predates their usage of it) will I end up on dslite by default?

I know the boards VM forum is gone but is it still the case if you need an ip4 to bridge and to connect to work VPNs you just contact support and they move you onto one?

They still use it and it's much easier to change now as it's not compatible with a lot of systems needed to work from home.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Tempora wrote: »
    We rang today and got an upgrade to the 500Mbps package and the sales guy was happy to include the new DOCSIS 3.1 modem with that. He seemed a little confused by which modem was which and stuff but confirmed that it was a "Hitron DOCSIS 3.1" modem and that it was black and being used for the Gigabit service. They don't appear to be calling it the SuperHub 4 here in Ireland.

I think the Hitron is a different modem to the Superhub 4. The Hitron is what they give to business customers AFAIK:

https://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/help-and-advice/products-and-services/hitron-router-guide/

Unfortunately it looks like the Hitron still has a Puma 6 chipset.
    Gonzo wrote: »
    The only reason for going for 1000 is double the upload.

Not even that, unfortunately the 1gig looks to have the same 50Mb/s upload speed as the 500 product!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Anyone have the new modem up and running?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Tempora

I'm paying €99/month on the new contract, it's the Virgin Full House package.

There are a number of Hitron modems out there, it's true that yes the residential "business" service uses a Hitron Puma 6 modem however that modem is NOT DOCSIS 3.1 capable so would not be suitable for delivering reliable 1Gbps service, so I highly doubt that is the modem they're using. The sales guys do know the underlying brand of the modems, so I imagine this new 1Gbps DOCSIS 3.1 modem is simply a Hitron rebrand with a Puma 7.

Either way I will be receiving the new modem tomorrow (well it's by Niteline so I guess it'll arrive some time between tomorrow and the heat death of the universe) and I'll post whatever info I can get.

My current modem has no DSLite support (EPC3925) so I am curious if activating the new modem will enable DSLite and I'll have to ring them up and get it disabled or if it'll stick with the current IPv4-only setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Either way I will be receiving the new modem tomorrow (well it's by Niteline so I guess it'll arrive some time between tomorrow and the heat death of the universe)

Was meant to be getting mine between 12-2pm today. *Looks at watch*:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

There are a number of Hitron modems out there, it's true that yes the residential "business" service uses a Hitron Puma 6 modem however that modem is NOT DOCSIS 3.1 capable so would not be suitable for delivering reliable 1Gbps service, so I highly doubt that is the modem they're using. The sales guys do know the underlying brand of the modems, so I imagine this new 1Gbps DOCSIS 3.1 modem is simply a Hitron rebrand with a Puma 7.

Hitron do make a variety of DOCSIS3.1 modems, though I'm not sure if they are using these for business customers or not on the 1Gig service. At least some of the Hitron DOCSIS 3.1 modems use Puma 6.

It will be interesting to see what you end up with, let us know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Sadly my order was never put through for some reason, even though it was done over the phone.

Just off the phone, it's put through now, so hopefully will have new modem soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭allanroche

Thor wrote: »
    Sadly my order was never put through for some reason, even though it was done over the phone.

Just off the phone, it's put through now, so hopefully will have new modem soon.

This happened to me too, I spent 4hrs waiting on the chat to get it sorted. Supposedly it was fixed today, but still no confirmation email or message from nightline so who knows!

allanroche wrote: »
    This happened to me too, I spent 4hrs waiting on the chat to get it sorted. Supposedly it was fixed today, but still no confirmation email or message from nightline so who knows!

Yeah me neither, he did say I would get confirmation within 48 hours.

If memory serves, I normally get the confirmation in the evening on the same day .here's hoping that is the case.

Let me know if you get any confirmation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭DecTenToo

Same here. Ordered Thursday and contacted them today. Order's are being processed but I've yet to get the normal email confirmation. It'll turn up eventually.

• Advertisement

Thor wrote: »
    Yeah me neither, he did say I would get confirmation within 48 hours.

If memory serves, I normally get the confirmation in the evening on the same day .here's hoping that is the case.

Let me know if you get any confirmation.

Got an email saying “We’re sorry to hear you wish to cancel some of your Virgin Media service.” Let’s hope that’s a positive!

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭robbie_63

I placed the upgrade order online on the 21st and got an order confirmation straight away,

Got an email the next day with a scheduled installation date of the 1st Sept,

Anyone know why an engineer would need to call out to do the upgrade?

I'm already on the 500mb Package,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭FaganJr

TobinIT wrote:
    I'm already on the 500mb Package,

TobinIT wrote:
    Anyone know why an engineer would need to call out to do the upgrade?

I just got a tidy box and instructions, had the main box and mini box set up in 20-30 mins, most of that time was the box updating itself

Had the 500mb setup also.

Deffo no need for an engineer

That's what I assumed it would just be a new box and away you go,

I didn't think anything else was needed cabling wise,

Will try and contact them tomorrow and see what they need to do

Yeah I'm doing self install as well.

The originally asked If I wanted an tech to install it.

Self install is too easy, unless you want a new cable installed.

I got an email saying they couldn't offer Self Install as some work may need to be done to the cables at your premises

I'll chase them tomorrow for some answers, maybe they just have to do some additional work at the cabinet side

FaganJr wrote: »
    I just got a tidy box and instructions, had the main box and mini box set up in 20-30 mins, most of that time was the box updating itself

So,

Hows it looking.

Pics of modem by any chance. Any model info

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

Looking at the thread, it seems anyone who ordered on Thursday when it launched, it didn't actually process. I ordered at 9.02am on Thursday. Was told the modem would be with me on Friday or Saturday. Nothing back, Twitter DM'd today (tired calling ,but gave up after 50+mins), and then it processed, Modem due tomorrow.

FaganJr wrote: »

If we could get pictures of your new mini box (internet/phone) that would be very helpful! Try to take pictures of any label with model numbers/name/etc.

yep 1000 costs more than 500. The only reason for going for 1000 is double the upload. Most people on 1000 get between 650 and 800 so that extra download won't make any difference over 500. If you can get FTTH you can get all speeds between 150 and 1000.

Where did you see that VM upload on 1gbps is now 100mbps? On their site it's till 50mbps as per the 500mbps download package

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Where did you see that VM upload on 1gbps is now 100mbps? On their site it's till 50mbps as per the 500mbps download package

Its 50, BK confirmed it in the previous page.

ED E wrote: »
    Its 50, BK confirmed it in the previous page.

Still off they printed 100mb first, only to change it to 50mb.

I think I would use the 14day cooling off period to keep the new modem, but return to 500mb if the upload speed is only 50mb

I care more about upload then download at this stage..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah, its a total misstep.

Over about 400Mb there's zero return for extra bw, you just can't use it. Upload though would make a noticeable impact to users. Crap STBs, higher latency, lower upload. They'll need to price cut to compete with 10GPON products.

ED E wrote: »
    Yeah, its a total misstep.

Over about 400Mb there's zero return for extra bw, you just can't use it. Upload though would make a noticeable impact to users. Crap STBs, higher latency, lower upload. They'll need to price cut to compete with 10GPON products.

I'm not sure if SIRO/OpenEir are deliberately avoiding areas with high VM subscribers because of competition or what, I'm in Blackrock/Stillorgan area and still no sign of SIRO/OpenEir any time soon. In the meantime I guess VM will continue to extort us for their crap technology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

bk wrote: »
    I think the Hitron is a different modem to the Superhub 4. The Hitron is what they give to business customers AFAIK:

https://www.virginmediabusiness.co.uk/help-and-advice/products-and-services/hitron-router-guide/

Unfortunately it looks like the Hitron still has a Puma 6 chipset.!

That is the one i have here in the house from the business class service... Never had any issues with it...

I'm due my Modem later today, will share pics / details, but yes, the Hitron is buisness. This is the SuperHub 4 that they are now sending out with the DOCSIS 3.1 stuff to support 1gig

Checked the Hitron website and that is listed as DOCSIS3.0, not 3.1... They do have a couple of 3.1 modems, and the following (https://www.hitrontech.com/product/coda-5519/) which would be closer to what VM would give out... and it has 2.5GbE ports too... Full datasheet here: https://www.hitrontech.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/1d9820be667d47ed88fc961d33279e35.pdf

digging though the spec sheet, looks like it has IPv6 support, Wifi 6 and can (theorethicly) do 5Gb/s down and 700Mb/s up on DOCSIS3.1... still, i would prefer this one: https://www.hitrontech.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/2c84eb49d21589e98fc2077c4f2ee435.pdf

I know its slower, but having all the wifi stuff, voip stuff, etc, is usless for me... and probably 80% of business customers (maybe more)... they just want a modem...

• Advertisement

So its the Arris TG3492LG which is Puma 7 by all accounts.
    I havent hooked it up just yet, so Ill post an update once I get it all sorted and online.
    524202.jpg

524203.jpg

524204.jpg

524205.jpg

lotas wrote: »
    That is the one i have here in the house from the business class service... Never had any issues with it...

To be honest, I've the Superhub v3 myself and I've not noticed any real world difference since moving from the Cisco to this.

Having said that, I'm not a twitch gamer and I keep it in bridge mode, so perhaps I'm not the best example.

So its the Arris TG3492LG which is Puma 7 by all accounts.
    I havent hooked it up just yet, so Ill post an update once I get it all sorted and online.
    [

Be interesting to see if Bridge mode is available or will it require a chat to Virgin to enable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

bk wrote: »
    To be honest, I've the Superhub v3 myself and I've not noticed any real world difference since moving from the Cisco to this.

Having said that, I'm not a twitch gamer and I keep it in bridge mode, so perhaps I'm not the best example.

You just haven't had any issues. I have, and I'm not a "twitch gamer" and mostly keep it in bridge mode also.

allanroche wrote: »
    Be interesting to see if Bridge mode is available or will it require a chat to Virgin to enable.
    Modem/Bridge Mode available straight away. I had this active on my connection with the previous Hub.
    GUI, is the same I see very little if any difference. Cant change away from the default 192.168/16 subnet, cant change DNS. It is all very much the same.

I need to do some work and wont get a chance to test till later, however quick speedtest and browsing feels smoother, no little pauses or hangups, but could be a placebo affect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭flexcon

Quick points from me (Ex Cisco network engineer for Irish Telecoms company)

- Virgin and their Dual Stack IPV6 should be abolished. If you are a virgin customer get them to turn this off right now
    - Disable IPV6 off your router all together. These two tasks improved my average ping to the UK by half

Digiweb Digiweb digiweb.....
    -Fritz Box ( One of the best consumer routers out there for plug and play)
    - Irish Support centre
    - Seriously low Ping times. Their routing is A1
    - Seriously Fast DNS service(Although I appreciate many will use their own)
    - IPTV users will not be blocked here. Not covered by any court orders.

As a hobby I still help and install networking equipment in friends, family word of mouth situations and in every scenario I get them onto Digiweb and I NEVER hear back with any issues.

I am just a stranger on an Internet forum but I can properly vouch that Digiwebs infrastructure beyond the openeir network is A1

I spent some considerable time doing trace routes and ping times and for Ireland and UK it was considerably lower than others.

• Advertisement

FYI... I got my 1gig modem and set it up.
    They are having issues provisioning them, so had to log a ticket and plug back in the old modem until it's resolved.

Alright guess I just have to hope the guy on the phone was mistaken and I am getting the Arris. Gonna be pretty annoyed if I get some crappy Hitron Puma 6 modem.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

flexcon wrote: »
    Quick points from me (Ex Cisco network engineer for Irish Telecoms company)

I spent some considerable time doing trace routes and ping times and for Ireland and UK it was considerably lower than others.

Ping times with Digiweb are probably lower than Virgin but I thought their pings are higher than Eir, Airwire and Vodafone?

average Irish ping on Eir is 2ms-4ms and 9-14ms to UK servers.

I'm still trying to get my hands on a Fritzbox to replace my Eir F2000 modem as that particular modem is a disaster for wifi.

Alright guess I just have to hope the guy on the phone was mistaken and I am getting the Arris. Gonna be pretty annoyed if I get some crappy Hitron Puma 6 modem.

Defo the Arris. Just got mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Ping times with Digiweb are probably lower than Virgin but I thought their pings are higher than Eir, Airwire and Vodafone?

average Irish ping on Eir is 2ms-4ms and 9-14ms to UK servers.

I'm still trying to get my hands on a Fritzbox to replace my Eir F2000 modem as that particular modem is a disaster for wifi.

Digiweb rural FTTH ping times to Irish servers from the West (Mayo) are typically 10-12ms. I've seen similar ping times from others posting from Sligo and Galway.
    Ping times to the UK around 20ms.
    So about 6-8ms extra on ping times in general due to their network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

50mbit upload makes it useless. I use my 100 up several times a day and it feels slow, I'd take a package with higher upload as soon as its made available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

You trying to get it for free or willing to buy? I purchased an additional one from Airwire directly. I'm not a customer of theirs.

Received new modem, it's Arris like the one posted above in the thread.

Currently not working, cycles between "Obtaining configuration file" and "Registration failure". Rang Virgin and tech support told me to leave it plugged in and wait a few hours. Annoying but whatever, I'll deal with it.

Currently not working, cycles between "Obtaining configuration file" and "Registration failure". Rang Virgin and tech support told me to leave it plugged in and wait a few hours. Annoying but whatever, I'll deal with it.

I was told they were having provisioning issues. TOld me to use the old one and they'd give me a text / call when I can plug in the new one. What a farce!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Ordered last Thursday and got a confirmation email about an hour after that. I haven't heard a thing since. Gave up on their Customer Care (1908) after 60+ minutes on hold. I'll now try What's app...

Anyone have any idea's on how to contact them to check the status of my upgrade?

I was told they were having provisioning issues. TOld me to use the old one and they'd give me a text / call when I can plug in the new one. What a farce!
    Well that's annoying if I actually don't need to leave it plugged in and could just use the old modem for now. I guess this is the downside of being an early adopter. I'll just tether my unlimited data from my phone for now anyway.

LoGiE wrote: »
    Ordered last Thursday and got a confirmation email about an hour after that. I haven't heard a thing since. Gave up on their Customer Care (1908) after 60+ minutes on hold. I'll now try What's app...

Anyone have any idea's on how to contact them to check the status of my upgrade?

I ordered at 9am last Thursday... nothing. Called on Monday. Order never processed, same thing to a friend of mine. DM'd them on Twitter yesterday and the modem turned up today. (not working, but it's here).
    Looks like a shambles of a launch tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

50mbit upload makes it useless. I use my 100 up several times a day and it feels slow, I'd take a package with higher upload as soon as its made available
    Currently uploading about 350gb on a 25mb upload speed. 11.25gb per hour.

200mb would be nice!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

MBSnr wrote: »
    You trying to get it for free or willing to buy? I purchased an additional one from Airwire directly. I'm not a customer of theirs.

I'd be buying a new one, can you order it from Airwire online or do you have to ring them up to order?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,319 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Pain in the Arris....

Sorry I couldn't resist it...:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement