Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

We just booked (rent) a house in Glenealy, Co. Wicklow, and are about to move in in the next few weeks.
    I need to know what kind of broadband I can get, but not having the key to the house or a phone-line yet, just makes it difficult for me to get a definite yes/no from ISPs.

Is there an online place or some other service where I could get my answer?
    Not familiar with this kind of thing, I've only been an NTL/UPC customer in the city centre until now.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭De Deraco

I have epc2425:mad::mad: firmware: Firmware Name

epc2425-ESIP-12-v202r12812-100729s_upc.bin
    Software Revision

epc2425-ESIP-12-v202r12812-100729s_upc

I cant access the gateway mode even using link 192.168.100.1/GatewayMode.asp

Does anyone know a workaround to set up a bridge mode as this is a real nightmare. cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 T42

After years of trying to get a decent Broadband service, having tried Dialup, Wireless, 3 and others, I finally got a proper service last week. I live in a rural area so we have little or no providers in the area. So when I saw an advert for Satellite Broadband, guaranteed high speed service, I was very excited to say the least.
    I signed up last Tue and was installed on Friday, I just can't believe how well it works, I got a 6m download and 1m upload with 12gb allowance, plus I got Voice on it also, monthly is 49.00e. Not bad, considering I was paying 20e per month for 3, crap Broadband, plus Eircom line rental 24.50 per month and my monthly calls on top of that. I reckon I'll save 500.00e per year now.

The main this is I have a high speed broadband service in the middle of the counwit side, with no hitches, I'd recommend it to anyone. I got it from www.Toowaysat.ie, I think these guys are in Limerick, but not sure, but very fast and good install.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

T42 wrote: »
    After years of trying to get a decent Broadband service, having tried Dialup, Wireless, 3 and others, I finally got a proper service last week. I live in a rural area so we have little or no providers in the area. So when I saw an advert for Satellite Broadband, guaranteed high speed service, I was very excited to say the least.
    I signed up last Tue and was installed on Friday, I just can't believe how well it works, I got a 6m download and 1m upload with 12gb allowance, plus I got Voice on it also, monthly is 49.00e. Not bad, considering I was paying 20e per month for 3, crap Broadband, plus Eircom line rental 24.50 per month and my monthly calls on top of that. I reckon I'll save 500.00e per year now.

The main this is I have a high speed broadband service in the middle of the counwit side, with no hitches, I'd recommend it to anyone. I got it from www.Toowaysat.ie, I think these guys are in Limerick, but not sure, but very fast and good install.

Poor latency, and miserly usage. Regardless, its great to have in the sticks! :D

roast wrote: »
    Poor latency, and miserly usage. Regardless, its great to have in the sticks! :D

Wrong I think,
    very little latency, you will not notice it, I'v Rte player on and it's perfect plus I'v been on YouTube etc and no problem.
    It doesn't effect the Voice either, no delays or breakup, perfect.
    I'v got 12gB allowance, can't see myself using that up.
    It's aimed at people with no or poor broadband but from what I'v used of it to date it's as good as our Eircom service in the office.
    Best thing is to try it out, the new KA-Sat is miles ahead of any of the older systems, keep the faith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 bebekas

Hi,
    we live in Inchicore/Kilmainham, now looking for new broadband provider. We had Magnet, it's ok, but just so expensive, that's why we're looking for a bit cheaper options. Unfortunately, UPC isn't available in our apartments, because there's Sky Conway (wrote them email a week ago, asking about prices, offers etc, so far no answer). I'm thinking about Digiweb, but a bit confused witch is better - wireless or satellite broadband? Thanks :)

Wrong I think,
    very little latency, you will not notice it, I'v Rte player on and it's perfect plus I'v been on YouTube etc and no problem.
    It doesn't effect the Voice either, no delays or breakup, perfect.
    I'v got 12gB allowance, can't see myself using that up.
    It's aimed at people with no or poor broadband but from what I'v used of it to date it's as good as our Eircom service in the office.
    Best thing is to try it out, the new KA-Sat is miles ahead of any of the older systems, keep the faith.

RTE player/Youtube isn't the best way to determine latency really. 12Gb allowance is perfect for some, terrible for others.
    Either way, good to hear you're getting a good service, others are the opposite.

And aye, Ka-Sat - deadly. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 DaithiB

Just regarding the post about the Ka-Sat connection. Is it still operating OK? I'm a bit concerned with the comment on their site about heavy rain disrupting it. Whats your experiences on this? I'm with a WiMax provider in West Clare at the moment and service has been steadily degrading (only have connectivity about 50% of the time now - it seems as the spring has come on the leaves on the trees have broken up the comms link, or thats the only explanation I've been given). I'm changing from these and considering alternatives. I need maximum up time and minimum bandwidth (not maximum) of about 756k, with an average of 3MB or so, for working from home. Is an ADSL (I've heard eircom are flaky as all hell with uptime?) a better option than Ka-Sat? I'm leaning towards the Ka-Sat at the moment but would like to hear opinions on % downtime?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭ps200306

DaithiB wrote: »
    Just regarding the post about the Ka-Sat connection. Is it still operating OK? I'm a bit concerned with the comment on their site about heavy rain disrupting it. Whats your experiences on this? I'm with a WiMax provider in West Clare at the moment and service has been steadily degrading (only have connectivity about 50% of the time now - it seems as the spring has come on the leaves on the trees have broken up the comms link, or thats the only explanation I've been given). I'm changing from these and considering alternatives. I need maximum up time and minimum bandwidth (not maximum) of about 756k, with an average of 3MB or so, for working from home. Is an ADSL (I've heard eircom are flaky as all hell with uptime?) a better option than Ka-Sat? I'm leaning towards the Ka-Sat at the moment but would like to hear opinions on % downtime?

I had the older Digiweb satellite for about two years and there was only ever one outage -- in the middle of a massive thunderstorm. On other occasions it stayed up while even the Sky TV signal disappeared. Most reliable connection I've ever had in fact, and I've tried lots. Coincidentally, I've just gone back to the new Ka-Sat as of yesterday, having finally given up on my pathetic wireless provider. Had very heavy rain overnight last night and no signal disruption. It's also my first time ever having working Skype and VoIP, which was an unexpected bonus. If it wasn't for Digiweb's uber-stingy download limits I'd give them 10 out of 10.

DaithiB wrote: »

To date the heavy rain has caused no issues and we've had plenty. We had one outage last Friday for about 2 hours, Tooway are still tweaking the network it seems and could be doing some more work during the month.
    The guys I signed up with say they will return your money and remove the system if he doesn't work, so worth a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Uggoon

I use a fixed wireless supplier in the Clare area. BB net is the company. They are updating their network which will enable us to have up to 50MB bandwidth. A small antenna is mounted in your chimney which needs clear line of sight to the transmitter which is normally located on a local high location. As speeds will always by improving 100MB is not too far away. BB Net also offer a telephone service which allows porting of your land-line no across. The service does not support FAX. Eircom are lumbered with a ageing copper network that is useless in rural areas as its too expensive to update to fibre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Living in Letterkenny, have decided to get Smart broadband (I think Eircom and Digiweb are the only other options), would people recommend?

Wish I could get UPC :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Is there any hope of high speed internet reaching me in Co.Donegal?
    Any plans for cable broadband?

There shouldn't be a problem in medium to large towns, Eircom are 4 billion in debt and disconnecting customers on a daily basis which will reduce their revenue intake. I'm not anti Eircom but I hung on to my land-line for 5 years in the hope of getting broadband only to be told I'm too far from the exchange. The wired suppliers cant offer super fast speeds unless the actual town is kitted out with fibre. Fixed wireless suppliers can operate from any fibre enabled area as this is used for their base feed. In the not too distant future 100mb will be available form some fixed wireless suppliers.

Pangea wrote: »
    Is there any hope of high speed internet reaching me in Co.Donegal?
    Any plans for cable broadband?

I don't believe there would be any further plans for Cable in most parts of Donegal, at least not public plans.
    Where are you located?
    If you're close to a telephone exchange (as in, a stones throw away) and the exchange supports it, then the most you can get is 24mb over DSL. If UPC isn't available in your area, you could be waiting quite a while for anything more.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DsJewel

Any tips as to the best service in Kerry? Currently have Eircom ,had it for ages, it's grand overall but with line rental it all costs around €60 a month and other than for internet we almost never use the phone so the line rental just seems so overpriced.We use the internet just for basic stuff, news websites,facebook,youtube,online banking,etc. And I also have my Blackberry connect to the wifi when I'm at home.

I live in the countryside so I don't know what companies can offer me a reliable service.And I'm not the best with all the technical terminology and what not so when I look on companies websites to see what they offer most of it just confuses me even more.

Look at www.bbnet.ie I know they cover part of Kerry. The reason I always recommend them is, some of the company directors also own Irish wireless who supply all the fixed wireless equipment through most of Europe so BB net will always have the best equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭pat13wx

Thanks for this info. I am in a similar position to the way you were so I am now looking for a satellite BB provider and these guys sound fine. Unfortunately when I checked the link you provided it wasn't working, but hopefully it will be back working again soon.

Do you have a phone number or email for them?

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭pat13wx

Terrific! Thanks for that. I'll give them a shout in the morning:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Malteaser1980

I am currently with Imagine who promised me 10mb download speeds but I rarely get more than 3. My 12 month contract has finally ended.

Any suggestions on the best broadband providers for the Phibsboro/Cabra area?

There is usually 4 people using the broadband for streaming TV and downloading music and movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

Hi ,Can anyone share experiences of broadband internet providers in Oaklawn/Cedar Park area in Leixlip...Moving 'down the road' from Glen Easton and GUTTED that UPC cant provide my 30meg service anymore!Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭eastyy

looking for advice on broadband providers here in leitrim anyone got any recomendations ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

I am currently with Imagine who promised me 10mb download speeds but I rarely get more than 3. My 12 month contract has finally ended.

Any suggestions on the best broadband providers for the Phibsboro/Cabra area?

There is usually 4 people using the broadband for streaming TV and downloading music and movies.

afaik know most of that area is covered by UPC so that would be your best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Im looking at getting broadband but because I download a lot im looking for one with no download limit,at the moment im thinking wimax as its a decent price and has no limit,ive looked at others and cant find anything decent,I dont want Eircom as ive only heard bad things,as much as I want NTL as I live at home its on the parents bill and they cant be arsed with changing it for something they dont use.

Im looking at getting broadband but because I download a lot im looking for one with no download limit,at the moment im thinking wimax as its a decent price and has no limit,ive looked at others and cant find anything decent,I dont want Eircom as ive only heard bad things,as much as I want NTL as I live at home its on the parents bill and they cant be arsed with changing it for something they dont use.

There's no such thing as unlimited, no matter what the advertising says.
    The best you can get is probably UPC with a 500Mb limit and it's probably the cheapest too.

bealtine wrote: »
    There's no such thing as unlimited, no matter what the advertising says.
    The best you can get is probably UPC with a 500Mb limit.

Never head a problem when I had B.T broadband,and UPC have no limit its just the usual fair usage as a workmate downloads films by the bucketload UPC rang and asked him to slow down:pac:.

Never head a problem when I had B.T broadband,and UPC have no limit its just the usual fair usage as a workmate downloads films by the bucketload UPC rang and asked him to slow down:pac:.

Believe what you want...

Imagine has a very low usage limit of about 30Mb and they enforce it.

Nothing on the website....

A fair use policy applies to all WiMax Broadband Packages. The WiMax Broadband Service is a shared service and imagine reserves the right to manage the Network to ensure that all users get fair access to the Network. If users make excessive use of their WiMax Broadband Service their service may be restricted or they may be asked to subscribe to an alternative WiMax Broadband Package(s) more suitable to their usage. imagine at it’s sole discretion will define from time to time what constitutes excessive use of the WiMax Service(s) Once Customers exceed this level they will have the option to upgrade their WiMax Broadband Package(s) or their service speed may be restricted by imagine. In the event of the Customer refusing or neglecting to select an alternative WiMax Broadband Package(s), imagine may, upon due notice, terminate the provision of the WiMax Broadband Service to the Customer.

Nothing on the website....

A fair use policy applies to all WiMax Broadband Packages.

That's because it's hidden. Anyway Imagine Wimax does not qualify as broadband and is more suited to the midband forum where these issues are discussed.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1147

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 oOJynxOo

Hi, I've decided to get satellite broadband cos I live way out in the country. I was going to get a digiweb package, but I've read that their service is unreliable. I'm just within Ripplecom's coverage, but I don't know if they are any better. Does anyone have experience with Ripplecom or any opinion of their service?

Advertisement