Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

gypsy79 wrote: »
    is he trolling us???

He’s sick of being accused of back door top 10s :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

Down to world no. 5 now. Paddy's up to 332 though, that's a positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

I think 4 time major winner won't change any time soon, he played rubbish today, and acted like a spoiled child as well, going nowhere at the moment, hacked around in +1, and finished with a double bogey, so far off the pace now, it's ridiculous, and it's every week. I'd love to know how he is world number 5, just goes to show the rankings are a pile of rubbish. Tiger is worse, but sky showed all of his 76 shots, had every number from 3 to 7 on his card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

I think 4 time major winner won't change any time soon, he played rubbish today, and acted like a spoiled child as well, going nowhere at the moment, hacked around in +1, and finished with a double bogey, so far off the pace now, it's ridiculous, and it's every week. I'd love to know how he is world number 5, just goes to show the rankings are a pile of rubbish. Tiger is worse, but sky showed all of his 76 shots, had every number from 3 to 7 on his card.

On current form, its difficult to imagine him turning things around in the next couple of weeks.

I was a little surprised to see he led the field in SG off the tee in both US Open & CJ Cup as I thought he's been a little wayward. Given that is one of, if not, his primary weapon then at least that hasn't deserted him.

Perhaps a little less spotlight on him at Augusta will be no harm. Prior to last year he was 5/5 in Top 10s so maybe he can rediscover some form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭OEP

How are the rankings a pile of rubbish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Russman

Hard to fathom how a top player can shoot +1 with seven birdies on his card tbh.
    I’m a huge Rory fan but imo there’s something not quite right since golf resumed. Obviously having the new baby could be a factor and maybe no crowds to feed off, but it’s like he’s just not there. Maybe as JP said, he needs to remember he’s Rory f-cking McIlroy. So frustrating to see journeymen plodders finish 8,10 shots ahead of him after 4 rounds these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Came into this thread expecting to see a sh1tstorm about him breaking his wedge on 18 last night. He's a very frustrated figure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Rory is yesterdays news, has been for a good few years to everyone apart from his fan boys who will point to his ranking, but in reality it's the lack of majors that are costing him. Why is up for debate, people blame his caddy, his weight lifting, his lifestyle, his intelligence his short game the list go's on.
    Noone can deny his ability but he can't produce it in the majors for a long long time now for some reason and i can't see him blowing a field away anymore when there is another 4 or 5 guys who hit the ball as far as he does, and have a much better wedge/short game.
    Can he come back, of course he can but something has to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

I take it you understand how the world rankings work?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,491 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I wouldn’t be backing Rory with bad money at the moment.
    He’s so hot and cold in every round.
    He’s also starting to show his frustrations too.
    If he doesn’t soon get his act together I can’t see him win a 5th major anytime soon.

• Advertisement

BraveDonut wrote: »
    I take it you understand how the world rankings work?

I know you play for points, and defend them, and that the rankings change too much on a weekly basis. There were 3 world number ones in 4 weeks at the end of last season, Rahm Thomas and Johnson. Victor Perez is around the world's top 50, and isn't that good, and lots of players from 100-300 are interchangeable. Justin Harding was around 50th also at the time of the lockdown, he's nowhere near that consistently, so rankings are flavour of the month. Abraham Ancer is 22 in the world despite being 0-99 on the PGA tour, and I think his only win was in Australia last year. He might win this week though pity the bookies are closed, 33/1 in boylesports. In my opinion they don't reflect the current trends, in that lots of good players are going through college or coming off the Korn Ferry tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I know you play for points, and defend them, and that the rankings change too much on a weekly basis. There were 3 world number ones in 4 weeks at the end of last season, Rahm Thomas and Johnson. Victor Perez is around the world's top 50, and isn't that good, and lots of players from 100-300 are interchangeable. Justin Harding was around 50th also at the time of the lockdown, he's nowhere near that consistently, so rankings are flavour of the month. Abraham Ancer is 22 in the world despite being 0-99 on the PGA tour, and I think his only win was in Australia last year. He might win this week though pity the bookies are closed, 33/1 in boylesports. In my opinion they don't reflect the current trends, in that lots of good players are going through college or coming off the Korn Ferry tour.

A points system is the fairest, if not the most accurate way of ranking players. It rewards consistency and as is evident with Mcilroy at the moment, penalises loss of it.

Personally, I like the fact that the top rank can change regularly, it keeps the players motivated to reach the top spot. Much as I loved watching Tiger in his pomp, having one player at the top for years may not be good for the game.

Mcilroy could tumble down the order in the coming months, but equally so, a win or a run of top 5s would probably push him back toward the top. I don’t think there could be a fairer system, or one that reflects who’s hot and who’s not.

Just watched the club break, God be with the days when they would have the decency to break it across their knee and throw it into the bushes rather than wimpily leaning on it and waving it around. Maybe he thought he’d miss his knee with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

The rankings look less representative of form this year than most other years because of the gap in events due to Covid. OWGR paused the rankings back in March in light of the pandemic.

It means historical performances which generally would have contributed less towards the weighting by this time of year are now contributing more than before.

If McIlroy and others had been playing to a similar standard across more events and/or rankings not paused then I suspect McIlroy would have slipped slightly further.

That said, golf is high variance so events contributing for such a long period seems fair to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

So your argument is that the rankings both show the flavour of the month too much and also that they don't reflect current trends enough?

So you are arguing it does two opposites?

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    So your argument is that the rankings both show the flavour of the month too much and also that they don't reflect current trends enough?

So you are arguing it does two opposites?

No, my argument is that the top 10 or 20 players should be awarded points, and there should be a cutoff point. An example of this, which is one of many is Robert McIntyre, 74 tournaments played and only a win in the Kuwait challenge almost exactly 3 years ago,and he is world number 97, and was as high as 65. Also Abraham Ancer is 2 wins in 166 tournaments. He has missed the cut in over a third of his starts and the wins were the Australian open and the Nova Scotia open on the Web.com tour in 2015.so there are two highly ranked players who are a combined 3/230 with 76 missed cuts. Ancer 21 in the world doesn't add up in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,011 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

No, my argument is that the top 10 or 20 players should be awarded points, and there should be a cutoff point. An example of this, which is one of many is Robert McIntyre, 74 tournaments played and only a win in the Kuwait challenge almost exactly 3 years ago,and he is world number 97, and was as high as 65. Also Abraham Ancer is 2 wins in 166 tournaments. He has missed the cut in over a third of his starts and the wins were the Australian open and the Nova Scotia open on the Web.com tour in 2015.so there are two highly ranked players who are a combined 3/230 with 76 missed cuts. Ancer 21 in the world doesn't add up in my book.
    Have you looked at the methodology of the rankings? It doesn't rank past two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Maybe the weighting should be looked at rather than doing away with the ranking system. I do see your point though, to be honest, I had never heard of Robert McIntyre until today.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Have you looked at the methodology of the rankings? It doesn't rank past two years.

So a 2 year run, good or bad can decide your position, they make a bit more sense now, but does that mean a major championship from 2017 doesn't count, while the Boise open from last year will count, its a bit silly. Jordan Speith has dropped to 75, his form has dipped badly OK, but Corey Connors is one place ahead of him, and he lost his web.com tour card in 2015. He played a Monday qualifier for the Texas open in April last year, got through in a playoff, and won the tournament. That started a good run for him, but if he lived to be 200, he wouldn't win 3 majors, probably wouldn't win one.

So a 2 year run, good or bad can decide your position, they make a bit more sense now, but does that mean a major championship from 2017 doesn't count, while the Boise open from last year will count, its a bit silly. Jordan Speith has dropped to 75, his form has dipped badly OK, but Corey Connors is one place ahead of him, and he lost his web.com tour card in 2015. He played a Monday qualifier for the Texas open in April last year, got through in a playoff, and won the tournament. That started a good run for him, but if he lived to be 200, he wouldn't win 3 majors, probably wouldn't win one.

I think I'm wrong about Corey Connors losing his Web.com tour card, it was another Canadian, Mckenzie Hughes, and he made the tour championship last season. He is 52 in the world.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Not the thread to be discussing pros and cons of world rankings. Back on topic please.

• Advertisement

Leading the field in birdies, nowhere to be seen on the leaderboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Figures out how to hit his irons, every green so far including 5 out of 10 inside 10 feet, then the putter acts up. He missed from four and a half and three and a half feet! Should be -7 through 10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Is he leading the field in birdies for the week??

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭rooney30

7 under for his round through 17 holes today , proving he is still Rory Mcilroy I guess ,

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Is he leading the field in birdies for the week??

Yup, 22 birdies through 3 rounds. At least 7 each day.

and finishes with another double

he is close I am guessing

or we back at he needs experienced caddy

I dont know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Disappointing 3rd round finish with a double bogey.

He's just become an average player who has a chance when he tee's it up, rather than a contender every time.

Won't feature at the masters either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Great bounce back after a 73 two rounds of 67.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭abff

Disappointing 3rd round finish with a double bogey.

He's just become an average player who has a chance when he tee's it up, rather than a contender every time.

Won't feature at the masters either.

I agree that it was disappointing to finish with a double bogey after being 7 under for the previous 17 holes.

But I don’t see how you can call him just an average player. Nobody contends ALL the time.

And I certainly wouldn’t rule out his chances of winning the Masters. Yes, he would need to reduce the number of errors, but the betting odds have him, Rahm and Thomas vying for 2nd favourite behind DeChambeau, with Johnson next in the betting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement