Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mart Price Tracker

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭Grueller

Right well we'll throw it out there so, who else thinks the heifer had spina bifida.

Looks like you could lay a level on her back to me, in both photos. Smasher of an animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭older by the day

I could be way out but circa €1.50 a kilo? Perhaps less if very hard, extreme types, they might make a bit more but you can buy great continental stores at €2 a kilo atm here in the West.

I'd be happy with 750, would they eat 200 to March and would I get a thousand for unfinished bullocks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I'd be happy with 750, would they eat 200 to March and would I get a thousand for unfinished bullocks

I'm sure Bass could give us a more comprehensive breakdown of costs rather than the back of a fag packet figures I work off. We'll say there's 120 days until Patrick's day, would €1.50 a day in costs be excessive? That's €180 so there might not be much in it and try to have some renumeration for rooting at them all winter. That's assuming that €750 a piece is achievable atm, there not real choice stock currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Grueller wrote: »
    Looks like you could lay a level on her back to me, in both photos. Smasher of an animal.

U+ 485kg is all that matters really. If she had 3 legs and 2 heads it's still all that would matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭Grueller

U+ 485kg is all that matters really. If she had 3 legs and 2 heads it's still all that would matter.

Correct and true but it is much nicer to look at a good one like her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

If she had 2 heads, would 2 tags do, or would you have to order 4?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

I'm sure Bass could give us a more comprehensive breakdown of costs rather than the back of a fag packet figures I work off. We'll say there's 120 days until Patrick's day, would €1.50 a day in costs be excessive? That's €180 so there might not be much in it and try to have some renumeration for rooting at them all winter. That's assuming that €750 a piece is achievable atm, there not real choice stock currently.

About right I would think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

U+ 485kg is all that matters really.

If we're to assume she went under 30 mths as a maiden heifer she was an absolute monster.
    385kgs carcass wgt is a decent heifer. But 485kgs , holy jaysus. She was some liveweight to kill out at that and U+ as well. A freak of a heifer. They don't come like her often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

If we're to assume she went under 30 mths as a maiden heifer she was an absolute monster.
    385kgs carcass wgt is a decent heifer. But 485kgs , holy jaysus. She was some liveweight to kill out at that and U+ as well. A freak of a heifer. They don't come like her often.

Born 12/5/17, was killed last week so that's be about 29 1/2 months or just over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭memorystick

Bought a mixed batch of bulls yesterday. AA HR SM and LM. Not big stock between 220 and 270. €500 average. Might be a little on the dear side but. Can’t get to mart at the minute. They should turn into profit.

Born 12/5/17, was killed last week so that's be about 29 1/2 months or just over it.

€1730 you said. Still, poor money for what she was.

I sold her at 1070 I think (not 100% sure, could have been 1020) back in summer 18 as a yearling. Considering the feeding etc she'd have gotten I dunno if she'd leave much after her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I sold her at 1070 I think (not 100% sure, could have been 1020) back in summer 18 as a yearling. Considering the feeding etc she'd have gotten I dunno if she'd leave much after her.

You have any idea what her fat score was?

Cavanjack wrote: »
    You have any idea what her fat score was?

No but can find out. She was in from August being fed to get it up anyway as culards can be lean.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Robson99

Exactly.
    Just looking back at a couple of big heifers here over last few years
    465 kg E- 3= € 2,190 25 months
    510 kg E- 3- € 2,400 28 months
    515 kg U+ 3+ € 2,100 23 months

Don't think I will see a heifer break 2k again for a long time...

• Advertisement

Bought a mixed batch of bulls yesterday. AA HR SM and LM. Not big stock between 220 and 270. €500 average. Might be a little on the dear side but. Can’t get to mart at the minute. They should turn into profit.

Suckler bred I assume? There standing €2 a kilo average which isn't savage value imo although I'm assuming your saving on commission and possibly haulage. It's hard to say without seeing the stock in the flesh but I'd consider them average value with the current trade. Will you keep through to finish? If so there long keep stock and hopefully they'll be better times ahead before there ready for the knife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Robson99 wrote: »
    Exactly.
    Just looking back at a couple of big heifers here over last few years
    465 kg E- 3= € 2,190 25 months
    510 kg E- 3- € 2,400 28 months
    515 kg U+ 3+ € 2,100 23 months

Don't think I will see a heifer break 2k again for a long time...
    God be with the days!!! Would it take a tonne of meal to get them muscly heifers into those fat scores? Are you still feeding those type?

God be with the days!!! Would it take a tonne of meal to get them muscly heifers into those fat scores? Are you still feeding those type?

Ya they would each had eaten a ton with the 3- one probably 1.5 ton. Could have stayed feeding her. Serious heifer.
    Aah they were exception to the norm. Try to average around 400 - 410.
    Heaviest this autumn was 470 kg at €1800
    Harder and harder to get those kind of heifers
    Then you get kicked up the hole with weight cuts when you have a right one
    How could you kill those at 380 kg carcass or 420kg for that matter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,349 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I had a pbr BA heifer that wasn't suitable for breeding and she killed out at 561kgs E-3= under 30 months. She got a couple of kilos of meal (oats/barley/ground maize meal + minerals) on grass during her second Summer and I upped it to 5kgs per day for the last month.
    BTW that was in 2008 and she got €3.36/kg.

Suckler bred I assume? There standing €2 a kilo average which isn't savage value imo although I'm assuming your saving on commission and possibly haulage. It's hard to say without seeing the stock in the flesh but I'd consider them average value with the current trade. Will you keep through to finish? If so there long keep stock and hopefully they'll be better times ahead before there ready for the knife.

You’re right. Will keep until finished. Going back buying myself next summer. It’s still a cheap way of stocking land. Light cattle do well with me. You wouldn’t finish cattle on grass alone where I am.

Was talking to a lad yesterday and he said Roscrea was a great trade last week. 450kgs for €1150. Good cattle making good money. But that’s always the case.

• Advertisement

Base price wrote: »
    I had a pbr BA heifer that wasn't suitable for breeding and she killed out at 561kgs E-3= under 30 months. She got a couple of kilos of meal (oats/barley/ground maize meal + minerals) on grass during her second Summer and I upped it to 5kgs per day for the last month.
    BTW that was in 2008 and she got €3.36/kg.
    Serious weight

Robson99 wrote: »
    Serious weight
    Her older maternal sister who reared five calves killed out at 668 kgs U+3+ on the same day.

Anyway that was in 2008 when I quit keeping sucklers due to their costs be it pbr's or commercials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Her older maternal sister who reared five calves killed out at 668 kgs U+3+ on the same day.

Anyway that was in 2008 when I quit keeping sucklers due to their costs be it pbr's or commercials.

what about shorthorns?

grassroot1 wrote: »
    what about shorthorns?
    I bought the 2 pbr heifers last year and the three cross bred calves this year. I have them as a hobby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

I bought the 2 pbr heifers last year and the three cross bred calves this year. I have them as a hobby.

That's how it starts!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

grassroot1 wrote: »
    That's how it starts!!!

Slippery slope

You’re right. Will keep until finished. Going back buying myself next summer. It’s still a cheap way of stocking land. Light cattle do well with me. You wouldn’t finish cattle on grass alone where I am.

Was talking to a lad yesterday and he said Roscrea was a great trade last week. 450kgs for €1150. Good cattle making good money. But that’s always the case.

Buying yourself is the quickest way to learn what's value for your system imo, however this isn't always practical depending on your circumstances. If your in an area that facilitates early turnout then you won't find that coming and those sort of stock should be ready to hit the ground running over next summer.

Those bullocks in Roscrea must have been top class given the current trade as I can't remember the last bullocks I saw making €2.55 a kilo. I've seen belters of store's those weight's and heavier making circa €2 a kilo all back end with €2.30 a kilo buying the very best of cattle.

Buying yourself is the quickest way to learn what's value for your system imo, however this isn't always practical depending on your circumstances. If your in an area that facilitates early turnout then you won't find that coming and those sort of stock should be ready to hit the ground running over next summer.

Those bullocks in Roscrea must have been top class given the current trade as I can't remember the last bullocks I saw making €2.55 a kilo. I've seen belters of store's those weight's and heavier making circa €2 a kilo all back end with €2.30 a kilo buying the very best of cattle.

I used to buy years ago but life has changed. Every Saturday in Ballinakill. Grand oul spot. Marts are time consuming if you don’t get anything. Going to buy a trailer for tractor and go between Ballinakill and Roscrea. I’ll be better organised next summer. It’s fair disheartening at the moment.

I used to buy years ago but life has changed. Every Saturday in Ballinakill. Grand oul spot. Marts are time consuming if you don’t get anything. Going to buy a trailer for tractor and go between Ballinakill and Roscrea. I’ll be better organised next summer. It’s fair disheartening at the moment.

I understand that and it's impossible to have time for everything especially if you have off farm employment and family commitments to content with as well. I'm lucky in that I work in a mart environment a few days a week and can afford to spend some of my free time in them as necessary but this isn't the case for everyone. I'm always looking to be more organized in future and there's always room for improvement at every stage. The whole job is very sick atm and I'm pissed off with it all but I always am facing into the winter. You won't find the longer days coming around and the year starts to lift again, at least that's what I keep telling myself.

Sold a little yellow ch bull calf today born the 17th of june. 255kg €810

• Advertisement

Pic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Jeez, that’s poor money:D:D. He must have been a nice one.

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Jeez, that’s poor money:D:D. He must have been a nice one.

Gave him away!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Gave him away!

You'll soon have the dairy boys/girls getting into the sucklers at those prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If you are buying forget about the expense of transport. If you buy numbers it cheaper to get them delivers than ar5eing around with a tractor. Last year bought 14 stores 50 miles away cost cost 200 to get to the farm he bought them specially. This year I bought a bunch of 6 cost 80 euro( added to a load) and I bought 22 together and it cost 200 ( as it was a full load). If I end up with 3-4 if Icannot find a victim I go with the RAV and 8X5 box.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Pic.
    Lovely animal. Is he out of that saler beside him

Lovely animal. Is he out of that saler beside him

No he's out of a lim cow.

There's deffo nearly €100 diff in the same weight for char v's lim weanlings.

There's deffo nearly €100 diff in the same weight for char v's lim weanlings.

A lot of lims don't carry the weight when they are finished compared to charolais.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

How do you wean them off the cow so young? I find those at that age, the mother still has milk...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Kanturk today. 9 together, pointy black hereford bullocks 270kg €600.
    Two elderly gentleman bidding against each other. Best price I seen this back end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Kanturk today. 9 together, pointy black hereford bullocks 270kg €600.
    Two elderly gentleman bidding against each other. Best price I seen this back end.

Must be the pension dollars.

Older generation have a grá for the whiteheads. Easily kept and grand quiet cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Older generation have a grá for the whiteheads. Easily kept and grand quiet cattle.

Excuse me...who ya calling old:eek:
    Bought 5 today 500kg approx for €890

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Excuse me...who ya calling old:eek:
    Bought 5 today 500kg approx for €890

Obviously hes calling you "auld"

• Advertisement

A lot of lims don't carry the weight when they are finished compared to charolais.
    We get paid for the overall carcass weight which I thought was unfair as it doesn't account for the meat the bone ratio and that was the main reason that I quit keeping/breeding pbr BA/BAx sucklers in 2007.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Yep Larry loves them. Plenty cheap meat for him from these and zero profit for the farmer

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    How do you wean them off the cow so young? I find those at that age, the mother still has milk...

Don't give them much to eat for a few days and off to the winterage then. They don't be long drying up. Never really have any problems with mastitis or anything.

We get paid for the overall carcass weight which I thought was unfair as it doesn't account for the meat the bone ratio and that was the main reason that I quit keeping/breeding pbr BA/BAx sucklers in 2007.

I'd have thought the biggest problem with the blondes was trying to get a fat score on them. I know a neighbour here feeds 20 bullocks every year, hand picked show stock basically and he said he was never disappointed with a blonde when he slaughtered them. Most of his bullocks would be killing around 500kg under 30 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Sorry Patsy, you looked for this last week but couldn't find the catelogue, those LM's were SLIEVEANARD herd

• Advertisement
Advertisement