Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas cards after bereavement

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

My aunt's husband is terminally at the moment, so I think even the "thinking of you" won't do the job. My mother is sending nothing so I'm going to follow her line. Might ring or text them at some point though (they live in England and I see my aunt about once every two years so it's not like we're close)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Don’t be tone deaf to a bereavement. Ring the person or contact them directly. In my view no card is appropriate when a parent, child or spouse of that person has died that year.
    Why not though? To me it would feel like cruel exclusion at a time when you shouldn't ignore them. Why not go all out and shun them entirely for the year?

I keep hearing about these weird traditions in relation to cards and events that make no sense. Someone I know recently got incredibly irate because they were invited to a wedding more than 5 weeks (or is it months?) in advance. Up there with the mother of the bride nearly refusing to go to a wedding cause the cake was the wrong colour (another real life story). I'm destined to commit so many social faux pas that I've never heard about.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

My aunt's husband is terminally at the moment, so I think even the "thinking of you" won't do the job. My mother is sending nothing so I'm going to follow her line. Might ring or text them at some point though (they live in England and I see my aunt about once every two years so it's not like we're close)

I can't relate to this line of thinking at all. Since my mother got ill the amount of contact that has dropped off is baffling. She still gets Christmas cards but a significantly smaller amount than previous years. I think letting someone know you're thinking of them is always a good thing, terminally ill or not. The thought that it may be someone's last Christmas would motivate me to contact them even more.

Advertisement