Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Chatwalk - Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

http://www.awear.com/New-In/Pearl-Trim-Shift-Dress/invt/10401015

Any ideas on what shoes I could wear with this? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

The peep toes in shcuh in cream(stone) are actually quite pinkish in the flesh I`m saving my little pennies to buy them to go with this
    http://www.awear.com/Dresses/Cream-Lace-Shift-Dress/invt/10401049cream

They are the most comfortable shoes in the world though a friend of mine has the black ones very comfy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

@ sapsorrow

Just had to say that I love that prairie look that you are wearing in a couple of the what did you wear today posts. You look fantastic, not a look many people can pull off but you do it so well:) Going to try and give the look a go myself although I lack your figure and beauty:(:( Will give it a try though:)

@ everyone else on the what did you wear today posts

So many gorgeous boys and girls and some really nice outfits that if I saw on a rail in a shop I'd walk on by, but ye all really pull off what ye are wearing!! Going to try some of the looks there, feel stuck in a rut of jeans and tops and more jeans and tops and want to find a "look" that suits me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

lindtee wrote: »

@ everyone else on the what did you wear today posts

So many gorgeous boys and girls and some really nice outfits that if I saw on a rail in a shop I'd walk on by, but ye all really pull off what ye are wearing!! Going to try some of the looks there, feel stuck in a rut of jeans and tops and more jeans and tops and want to find a "look" that suits me.

I'd like to echo this! It's so nice to get ideas of how things can be put together in much more interesting ways than I'd ever think of. I'm gradually getting out of my jeans and tops rut too by graduating to dresses but I'd like to do even more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

:eek::eek::eek: Just found the most perfect Gunne Sax maxi dress... I contacted the seller to see if she can reserve it for me, it's just.... so pretty! *sigh!*

The style of sleeves is also really uncommon (and desirable) in Gunnes, so I can't believe it's going for 65 euro including shipping! This dress would make me so soooo happy...

bluedress-1.jpg

bluedress2.jpg

Oh btw Twee, when In Berlin I couldn't recommend Humana in Friedrichshain more, it's a huge second hand shop (the biggest in Europe maybe??), very very cheap vintage stuff and all the clothes are divided according to era, twenties, thirties, forties etc.. It's like 3 or 4 stories tall. I spent about 4 or 5 hours there and got sooo much stuff it's incredible! Check out the photos on this link...

http://www.humana-second-hand.de/shops_ft.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

^^^

Wowza .... that's MAHOOSIVE!

So we'd recommend Berlin as a holiday destination?

Trying to organise a short break in the next few months ... was thinking Amsterdam but might try Berlin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Yah, I've heard Berlin is the best place for shopping in Europe. Me wants to go!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

AH so excited! Boardsies are the best! I'm gonna be there at the same time as another poster, and he's after recommending an indie club that has a SWIMMING POOL! Amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Twee. wrote: »
    AH so excited! Boardsies are the best! I'm gonna be there at the same time as another poster, and he's after recommending an indie club that has a SWIMMING POOL! Amazing.

oh what one is it?

sorry i haven't gotten the links yet - need to get them on the pc and will send tomorrow asap, hope they help! the shopping is brilliant. you'd need a day or two to dedicate yourself to it fully as theres so much to do besides you can forget to shop - even I have, the past two times I was there!

...and he's after recommending an indie club that has a SWIMMING POOL! Amazing.

WHAT? :eek: :)

I mailed the link to that vintage store to a friend... we are now planning a trip to Berlin. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

You guys have me wanting to go to Berlin so badly now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Sapsorrow wrote: »
    Oh btw Twee, when In Berlin I couldn't recommend Humana in Friedrichshain more, it's a huge second hand shop (the biggest in Europe maybe??), very very cheap vintage stuff and all the clothes are divided according to era, twenties, thirties, forties etc.. It's like 3 or 4 stories tall. I spent about 4 or 5 hours there and got sooo much stuff it's incredible! Check out the photos on this link...

http://www.humana-second-hand.de/shops_ft.html

Oh that's amazing. I'm going to be in Berlin in August. That is easily one morning sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

If this is called something like Kit Kat club be very careful!! My friends went there and it wasn't the regular night so lots of naked peeps and people leading each other round on leashes (unless thats the night you're looking for ;))

http://www.timeout.com/berlin/berlin/venue/1%3A4979/sage-club
    Thursdays and Fridays are the "safe days" apparently!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KitKatClub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

Ive booked a couple of days off work to go shopping in london \o/ any recommendations?

someone suggested westfield shopping centre to me, looks great - http://uk.westfield.com/london/ anyone been?

been to oxford street before and didnt find it great.

ams wrote: »
    If this is called something like Kit Kat club be very careful!! My friends went there and it wasn't the regular night so lots of naked peeps and people leading each other round on leashes (unless thats the night you're looking for ;))

http://www.timeout.com/berlin/berlin/venue/1%3A4979/sage-club
    Thursdays and Fridays are the "safe days" apparently!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KitKatClub

That's probably it, and we're planning on going on a Thursday ;)

I might return to Berlin this August now because of these posts. It'll be a working holiday though, but still :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Just finished my first stint in a local charity shop..talk about lovely clothes!! They don't send their stuff on anyway, just keep it there, which is great cos it's kinda a posh area. Loads of Zara, Banana Republic, Karen Millen, Mango, and a pair of Paige jeans that I really want but they are selling for 34.99 :(

I'm thinking of starting another blog (once I get paid work) and display my strictly secnd hand purchases; I dunno, maybe allow myself ONLY to but second hand stuff for a whole year (bar underwear!)....hmmmm, dreams...

• Advertisement

Got the cutest wee bell for my bike at the Bernard Shaw car boot sale today. It's kinda purple/maroon coloured and will match my bike perfectly. I LOVE my bike :)

Dawes%20Red%20Feather%202010%20City%20Bike.jpg

Going to a 21st tonight and I've no idea what to put on me. All my gal pals are going real dressed up. Gonna have to dig deep in the wardrobe for something appropriate.

Just finished my first stint in a local charity shop..talk about lovely clothes!! They don't send their stuff on anyway, just keep it there, which is great cos it's kinda a posh area. Loads of Zara, Banana Republic, Karen Millen, Mango, and a pair of Paige jeans that I really want but they are selling for 34.99 :(

I'm thinking of starting another blog (once I get paid work) and display my strictly secnd hand purchases; I dunno, maybe allow myself ONLY to but second hand stuff for a whole year (bar underwear!)....hmmmm, dreams...

I am tempted every day by clothes, it'd be frustrating though if there's loads of expensive labels and they'd be priced accordingly because they'd know their high brow labels there!

Yeah considering now I'm buying in charity shops more often and spending my hard cash, I'm going to try and avoid ebay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭shellykbookey

Ok mods stop me if this is off topic/ wrong thread etc, but has anyone ever got a decent pair of fair trade jeans and if so where? By decent I mean not "mum" or skinny jeans under €200. I live in jeans and I'm trying to be good 'cos I know jeans are the devil in fashion stakes but I'm not having any luck online or in real life :(

Love Twee's tights in the WDYWT thread, actually loved the whole outfit!

Novella wrote: »

Thanks! I do love a good bargain :D

Ok mods stop me if this is off topic/ wrong thread etc, but has anyone ever got a decent pair of fair trade jeans and if so where? By decent I mean not "mum" or skinny jeans under €200. I live in jeans and I'm trying to be good 'cos I know jeans are the devil in fashion stakes but I'm not having any luck online or in real life :(

Go vicinity for girls and Roads for boys, they're 60-80 euro here in cork and have a really good range of styles and cuts. They're in skatery-trendy type shops.

First pay day in 6 months last Friday so now my new ATM is here I genuinely need to do a make up shop, but am clueless where to start. I've been using Laura Mercier and Dior products but all this, primer stuff wtf? :( Such a bad girl when it comes to make up.

So, eyeshadows, eyeliners, mascara, blush I'm sorted.

What's the deal so with primers, foundations, setting powders what do I need?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Novella wrote: »

Agree. And love, love, love the way you did your hair twee:)

And I love Dolorus's and sapsorrows latest ones too. Get great ideas from the pair of my fellow red-heads!! (edit-gingers for justice:P)

Vinta81 wrote: »

What's the deal so with primers, foundations, setting powders what do I need?

Primer helps your make-up stay put! You put it on before foundation. I haven't used it yet, but everyone around here seems to swear by Smashbox Photofinish.

If you're getting a new foundation, go around to a few different counters and talk to the sales assistants. They can advise you and give you samples. Take them home and try them on, as it can be hard to judge a colour in all the artificial lighting. If they won't give you a sample, well screw them :p Go elsewhere.

I slap on powder by the boat load, so never spend much, usually just Rimmel or No. 7 from Boots.
    lindtee wrote: »
    Agree. And love, love, love the way you did your hair twee:)

Thank you :) I just put mousse in when it was damp, blasted with the hair drier and then threw it up in a bun when I was doing my make up. When it was dry, bitta hairspray and a few clips to hold it over to one side. Easy peasy! I'm really bad at doing hair :o It's usually just up in a bun.

Primer helps your make-up stay put! You put it on before foundation. I haven't used it yet, but everyone around here seems to swear by Smashbox Photofinish.

If you're getting a new foundation, go around to a few different counters and talk to the sales assistants. They can advise you and give you samples. Take them home and try them on, as it can be hard to judge a colour in all the artificial lighting. If they won't give you a sample, well screw them :p Go elsewhere.

I slap on powder by the boat load, so never spend much, usually just Rimmel or No. 7 from Boots.

I looked for Smashbox photofinish but couldn't find any here in the City :( I'll have a look around work Weds. Foundation wise I'm gonna stick to Laura Mercier just a shade darker I think.

I guess I'm just confused as to what the regime is for most people with primers, foundations moisturizing etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

I have the smashbox primer and when I remember to use it it does really smooth out your base but I dont like putting an extra layer of gunk on my face every day! If you want to try out a cheaper alternative Gosh do a pretty similar one but I think its about 17e. Some people have raved about the penneys one that is a rip off of Benefits That Gal - Ive tried both and cant say I really notice a difference to my make up. A layer of powder works better for me imo.

I adore Smashbox primer, but I'm all out so I've been using up my Benefit Dr Feel Good. It's okay too, but I can't wait to get back to Smashbox. It really does make your make up go on smoother, and last longer. I am obsessed.

Question for Sapsarrow if she's about; I'm sure you've posted this before but what colour do you put into your hair?

Revlon Colourstay is on my list of purchases for when I get my first wage packet...once I get a job of course:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Does anyone know how to keep the strap of a slingback on your ankle? I'm planning on wearing a pair of slingbacks to an alternative night on Friday...I don't want to fall out of them! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

I've heard hairspray is good for keeping them on your feetbut I've never tried it myself

Orlee wrote: »
    I've heard hairspray is good for keeping them on your feetbut I've never tried it myself

I always heard hairspray was good for the sole of your shoe, especially if they are high heels and have no grip. I know I tried it once and it worked alright, but
    I hadn't worn the shoes without the spray so can't really advocate for it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Does anyone know how to keep the strap of a slingback on your ankle? I'm planning on wearing a pair of slingbacks to an alternative night on Friday...I don't want to fall out of them! :o

You can get little jelly type grip things (technical term :P), like scholl party feet, that stick onto the inside of the straps of slingbacks. You can get them cheaper in Marks and Sparks too instead of the proper Scholl ones. I think Boots do their own brand too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Question for Sapsarrow if she's about; I'm sure you've posted this before but what colour do you put into your hair?

Revlon Colourstay is on my list of purchases for when I get my first wage packet...once I get a job of course:)

I use henna, the brand is el cahira and the shade is mahognay, you can get it from health food shops! The red one in lush is good enough but very pricey!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I use henna, the brand is el cahira and the shade is mahognay, you can get it from health food shops! The red one in lush is good enough but very pricey!

Wow, you can get that kind of red from henna? I must give it a go, I'm using Live XXL at the moment but would love to find something kinder to my hair!

Dolorous wrote: »
    Wow, you can get that kind of red from henna? I must give it a go, I'm using Live XXL at the moment but would love to find something kinder to my hair!

Yep and henna doesn't fade like the chemical dyes either, if you had darker or red hair to begin with you'd get an amazing tone after a few dyes with it, I'm blonde so I can't get it any darker than it is now. The colour builds up over a few months of dying I've been using it for seven years straight now! Dreading ever going blonde again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Oooh yay! My hair is naturally a light red so hopefully it will take to it :) Thanks, must check out the local health shop!

Dolorous wrote: »
    Oooh yay! My hair is naturally a light red so hopefully it will take to it :) Thanks, must check out the local health shop!

Let me know if you can't find it and I'll post you up some cos I still owes ya for the book! ;)

Sapsorrow wrote: »

I used to use Lush henna, I don't like it because it has lots of extra gunk in it that takes forever to get out of your hair. I buy powder on ebay because they don't stock it in my local health food shops, but its a much cheaper alternative. I can't believe yours is henna though, what an amazing colour. I'm a dark auburn naturally so the colour is a lot less vivid on me.

• Advertisement

Lia_lia wrote: »

That's cracked! I would like a clear poncho for festivals, not that one, especially not at that price! Yowsa..

Am I going a bit mad or are the two last posts I put in the what I wore today thread only showing up with one photo each in them?? They should have a few in each....

Yeah, one in each post.

Larianne wrote: »
    Yeah, one in each post.

Ok thanks for that, crap wonder what I did wrong!

Oh my goodness! I have to do an internship in January as part of my college course, and it's proving so hard to find one! And the chances of getting paid are unfortunately low. Only two out of 50 from last years class got an actual wage. Damn the arts being underfunded.

BUT I will have to treat myself to new work clothes when it comes around :D So, ya know, every cloud...

• Advertisement
Advertisement