Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Maps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

KevRossi wrote: »
    God help us if someone sneezes though.

That's nothing. Imagine the queue for the bathroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,838 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Likely to be the greatest single event death toll in human history, in the bay, there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Victor wrote: »
    That's nothing. Imagine the queue for the bathroom.
    I dunno. Just piss on the person in front of you. Be just like being in the terrace at an English top flight game in the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

France's longest border is with Brazil...

xo4p93tm7k251.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

• Advertisement
  • Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Roundels used on European planes prior to WWII.

dfsJqU7.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

McDonald’s across the world.

map-of-countries-with-mcdonalds.jpg?w=800&h=600

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

mike_ie wrote: »
    Roundels used on European planes prior to WWII.

dfsJqU7.png

The Finnish Airforce Board meeting to discuss it's logo happened fairly quickly after 1938 I'd imagine.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Finnish Airforce Board meeting to discuss it's logo happened fairly quickly after 1938 I'd imagine.

Finland was basically/unofficially Axis in WWII, and still uses the swastika for certain Air Force functions anyway; as the use predated the Nazi use. Roundel changed in '45 though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

L1011 wrote: »
    Finland was basically/unofficially Axis in WWII, and still uses the swastika for certain Air Force functions anyway; as the use predated the Nazi use. Roundel changed in '45 though.

They used it from 1918 to 1945.

https://www.ilmailumuseot.fi/tuotteet.html?id=20170/230683

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

jg0do25d.jpeg

origin.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

wow, would people still hitch hike much? i remember seeing it loads 30 years ago or so but now would very rarely see it.

would people even pick up a hitch hiker? i wouldnt. unless i knew them but there are extremely slim chances of someone i know hitch hiking!

I've only done it once in my life on a remote island in the pacific where it was one of the only ways to get around the island, remember thinking that my mum would be so cross with me if she knew! not in a million years would I have chanced it in Ireland!

what are the blue lines on the map for i wonder?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Drove a hell of a lot in an old job until about 7 years ago - you would still see some; most are backpacking tourists these days. And in twos.

The ban on them going on motorways/motorway slips probably means I saw less than there were as they'd be on the old roads.

greenttc wrote: »
    what are the blue lines on the map for i wonder?
    The blue lines are the main shipping routes. Don't know why they're on the map though

cdeb wrote: »
    The blue lines are the main shipping routes. Don't know why they're on the map though

I wondered was it ferries but then thought about ones direct from ireland to france are missing. surely we have shipping routes straight to mainland europe, no?

Dunno about now but it used to be a thing to hitchike to/on ferries as a cheap way to get around.

greenttc wrote: »
    I wondered was it ferries but then thought about ones direct from ireland to france are missing. surely we have shipping routes straight to mainland europe, no?

We do (loads - but not that many passenger carrying; however there are still a few), and we don't have a passenger carrying Cork-Wales anymore which is still on the map.

L1011 wrote: »
    We do (loads - but not that many passenger carrying; however there are still a few), and we don't have a passenger carrying Cork-Wales anymore which is still on the map.

maybe the blue lines are routes that were hitch hiked on so! interesting

Dunno about now but it used to be a thing to hitchike to/on ferries as a cheap way to get around.
    I was going to suggest that as a joke - but really? You'd just blag your way onto a commercial ferry who'd be charging everyone else?

• Advertisement

I was going to suggest that as a joke - but really? You'd just blag your way onto a commercial ferry who'd be charging everyone else?

You would be able to pay a significantly lower fare than a walk-up passenger as a secondary driver on a truck; as well as going on ferrys that don't take walk-up passengers at all too.

Plenty of the ferry routes in to Ireland are container though and don't take the actual trucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

also just noticed France has a 13 km border with the Netherlands, but its in the Caribbean...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Commercial Freighters actually do take passengers. If they've spare cabins that aren;t being used, they'll offer them online. Very basic facilities obviously, you're basically treated as staff, eat with them, watch movies with them, etc
    https://www.freighterexpeditions.com.au/cargo-ship-travel-things-you-should-know

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I hitched home from France a few times in the 80s. Rock up to Le Havre/Calais and ask around. The Irish were a lot less likely to give you a lift. Usually ended up doing a landbridge through England and Wales.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Commercial Freighters actually do take passengers. If they've spare cabins that aren;t being used, they'll offer them online. Very basic facilities obviously, you're basically treated as staff, eat with them, watch movies with them, etc
    https://www.freighterexpeditions.com.au/cargo-ship-travel-things-you-should-know

Yeah, but you have to pay for that surely? Which isn't hitchhiking then

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

They didn't. They had been using it long before the Nazis, and didn't see any need to get rid of it in a hurry as they were allied with Germany during the war anyway, following the invasion of Finland by Russia in 1939-40.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

xo4p93tm7k251.jpg

This was on I fucking love maps the other day and someone pointed out its actually with Australia

main-qimg-12428cae3df2e3e71906dd4ba5ab5395

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I don't get that at all... :eek:

I presume those countries own those sections of Antarctica but if they do it’s something that I never knew before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I presume those countries own those sections of Antarctica but if they do it’s something that I never knew before.

Antarctica eh! I thought it was Pangaea :pac:

Advertisement