Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Richard Nixons Legacy

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

He gave us the name 'Milhouse'.

Is this how it feels when the doves cry?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    He gave us the name 'Milhouse'.

Is this how it feels when the doves cry?
    Milhouse was his Mother's maiden name whose family were Quakers who emigrated from Co Kildare.

Nixon visited Ireland in 1970 and went to their old church.

With regard to the Nixon V Kennedy debate. Apparently radio listeners almost all regarded Nixon as having won. The television viewers were swayed by seeing a very uncomfortable and sweating Nixon and regarded John F as having won.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Without Watergate and term limits he would have beaten Carter in a landslide in 1976...

Nope. He was on his second and final term when he resigned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Greybottle wrote: »
    Nope. He was on his second and final term when he resigned.

I’d imagine why the poster specified “without term limits”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

The man never drank a Duff in his life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

darkdubh wrote: »
    Which is the better film, Frost/Nixon or Nixon/Elvis?

That's a tough question. I enjoyed them both. It's a bit of a taboo to praise Spacey these days, but i thought he portrayed Nixon very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Greybottle wrote: »
    One of the best political quotes of all time is attributed to him; he told his handlers to spread a statement about an opponent around. When his handler pointed out that it was a lie he said:

"I know it's a lie, I just want to see the fcukers deny it."

That was Lyndon Johnson

• Registered Users Posts: 26,123 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Without Watergate and term limits he would have beaten Carter in a landslide in 1976...
    Never mind term limits. Without Watergate it's unlikely that the Democrats would have nominated Carter in 1976 so, if Nixon could have run and had chosen to do so, he would probably have been facing a different opponent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Beasty wrote: »
    Without him the world would never have had all these gates
    ...boss

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

442448.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

thesultan wrote: »
    Anyone know how he is judged in America? ? Is it all watergate that has tarnished him?
    Well, he doesn't quite make the worst 10 US presidents, according to this survey of political scientists. There was a thread about it the other day...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Wait did you hear the latest conspiracy about Nixon? If people want to know let me know or i just keep it to myself to not derail the thread!
    Don't be a tease. Please tell...

Advertisement