Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Glad Gilroy went well. Cant help but be disappointed for with Ireland. He doesn't even seem to be considered as an outside chance for wc. Especially when you compare his try scoring record against others

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/34024767

Some nice tries by Ulster. Clearly on the basis of that Paul Marshall should be in the Ireland squad...

Nice step and turn of pace by Luke Marshall for his try and Sam Arnold getting in for a well taken score too.

Doak out?

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

How the fcuk did we end up getting thumped 23-10?

Doak out!

awec wrote: »
    How the fcuk did we end up getting thumped 23-10?

Doak out!

Another season of dross.

But don't worry, our world domination plan is gonna kick in any day now...

• Advertisement

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Another season of dross.

But don't worry, our world domination plan is gonna kick in any day now...

Can't get Kiss in soon enough.

Even then we are powderpuff in certain areas of the squad. No depth at all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

iHumphs didn't start the game so you'd Windsor and then Shanhan at outhalf.

I know nothing of these two.

Not a great backrow

C Gilroy, T Bowe, L Marshall, S McCloskey, A Trimble, I Humphreys, P Marshall; (1-8): A Warwick, R Herring (Captain) W Herbst, D Tuohy, F Van der Merwe, C Ross, S Reidy, R Diack. Replacements: P Jackson, R Murphy, R Lutton, P Browne, W Faloon, D Shanahan, S Windsor, S Arnold, L Ludik, P Nelson, C Joyce.

Interesting that Herring was the Captain too

CatFromHue wrote: »

We have those types of player all over the pitch.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    We have those types of player all over the pitch.

It turns out Ulster mightn't know too much about him either

image.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

CatFromHue wrote: »

Not a great backrow

C Gilroy, T Bowe, L Marshall, S McCloskey, A Trimble, I Humphreys, P Marshall; (1-8): A Warwick, R Herring (Captain) W Herbst, D Tuohy, F Van der Merwe, C Ross, S Reidy, R Diack. Replacements: P Jackson, R Murphy, R Lutton, P Browne, W Faloon, D Shanahan, S Windsor, S Arnold, L Ludik, P Nelson, C Joyce.

Interesting that Herring was the Captain too
    Windsor was signed on 1 year deal from Worcester. Had been on a short term contract w/ Leinster few years ago..
    Shanahan is scrum half from Leinster but in Ulst academy. Didn't know he covered outhalf as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Windsor was signed on 1 year deal from Worcester. Had been on a short term contract w/ Leinster few years ago..
    Shanahan is scrum half from Leinster but in Ulst academy. Didn't know he covered outhalf as well.

Only saw a bit on periscope but looked like your out half was kicking the ball away for fun..hard for a pack with an out half coughing up hard fought ball.

No idea what happened tonight but to be fair it was a pre season game so let's just calm down a bit. Selections are all over the place at this time of the season. Still it's a disapointing result. That back row will win us feck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Pre-season means the square root of f*ck all.

Leinster lost 43-0 in the 2012/13 pre-season and won the league and the Amlin that season. Players aren't playing at full tilt or even close.

That was a relatively strong side out from Ulster though, close to first choice backs and front 5, and it was a weakened Edinburgh side too.

It's not the end all and be all but I wouldn't say it's feck all.

Is Windsor not the guy we signed from obscurity in NZ / Australia or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Maybe he'd went down home for a period but he had been with Worcester for a couple of seasons as well as period w/ Leinster

Nah, he's an Aussie who was with Worcester last season and was with Leinster for a spell without appearing for the first team. Not going to threaten the first team for you but could do a job as a squad player.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Born in Australia to Irish parents, apparently, was at the Brumbies academy but didn't make the step up to Super Rugby. Went to England for a while, back to Australia, short term contract at Leinster in 2012/13, then to Worcester and now at Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Born in Australia to Irish parents, apparently, was at the Brumbies academy but didn't make the step up to Super Rugby. Went to England for a while, back to Australia, short term contract at Leinster in 2012/13, then to Worcester and now at Ulster.

Don't think he played for Worcester as he was injured.. you signed a 2nd string outhalf at best probably Worcester 3rd choice. Steenson was the one to really go after. Humphreys will loose you a lot of games with his defence. .

blackdog1 wrote:
    Don't think he played for Worcester as he was injured.. you signed a 2nd string outhalf at best probably Worcester 3rd choice. Steenson was the one to really go after. Humphreys will loose you a lot of games with his defence. .

Bad shoulder dislocation in his first game for them so never got to play, really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Was at the game last night, pretty awful stuff, the last edinburgh try was a mile forward. Thought Mccloskey did well.

I see Charles Piatau missed out on the NZ squad.

bilston wrote: »
    I see Charles Piatau missed out on the NZ squad.

Can we take him early or do we have to free up an NIQ spot first?

Utah_Saint wrote:
    Can we take him early or do we have to free up an NIQ spot first?

You'd be taking him a full season early. He's contracted for next season's S15 still.

I though he signed for Wasps or something for this season?

I though he signed for Wasps or something for this season?

Apologies, forgot about his supposed move to England. He was set to be with the Blues next season but the NZRU stepped in and said he can't stay.

I don't know if the Wasps move was anything more than a rumour but it's unlikely he'll remain in NZ next season anyway.

I hope we can step in and get him early but I doubt it.

I hope we can step in and get him early but I doubt it.

I wonder if the reason we can't is because of money or because of IRFU rules on NIQs...or both?

Both I guess, he is on a big contract and presumably it would mean extending his current deal to 3 seasons instead of 2.

• Advertisement

I dunno I'm still a bit sceptical about seeing him in an Ulster jersey.

When deals are set up as so different like his one they don't always work out in the end.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement