Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Part II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Lam on player signings:

http://www.connachtrugby.ie/lam-on-player-movement/#ConnachtNews
    Following the announcement yesterday that Super Rugby centre Bundee Aki has signed for Connacht on three year deal, Head Coach Pat Lam today reiterated that the Chiefs’ back is a direct replacement for the outgoing Eoin Griffin (London Irish) and Kyle Tonetti (retired).

“Obviously we had to look at signing a midfielder when we knew we’d be without Griffin and Tonetti next year. We also anticipate that Robbie (Henshaw) will be away in camp during the international windows and we have to make sure we are covered in that area.

“There has been a lot of talk in the last week about the possibility of Robbie leaving Connacht for another Irish province. Robbie signed a new deal this season that says he will be playing at the Sportsground until 2016 at least. He showed that he is happy here playing with his home province. There are no plans for him to move before then.

“The IRFU have been very supportive of Connacht and what we are trying to achieve here. I have a very good relationship with Joe (Schmidt) and there are good lines of communication between us. We talk regularly on games and players and he is especially supportive of the Connacht rugby programme going forward.

“We look forward to confirming some more player signings in the coming weeks for the 2014/15 season.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/9938620/Bundee-Aki-targets-Irish-jersey-as-he-quits-NZ
    Aki, in particular, is considered a genuine talent, who has real potential to kick on.

After chasing another title with the Chiefs and finishing up with Counties Manukau this year, he will instead take his partner and two children and join former Blues coach Pat Lam at Irish club Connacht.

And after serving there for three years, Aki hopes to play his way into the Irish national team – coached by New Zealanders Joe Schmidt and John Plumtree – on residency grounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Zzippy wrote: »

Ah, so that's confirmation that Leinster are getting Payne :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

Great to see Heenan and Clarke being involved in some way in training

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152114736858562.1073741894.115936553561&type=1&l=b1941ed056

Indo stoking speculation again about Robbie being forced to move :mad:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/rabodirect-pro12/henshaw-future-in-new-chiefs-hands-30185711.html

Leinster knew for the last 2 years that BOD wouldn't be around much longer, they had their chance to move for Robbie but he signed a new contract. Wish that would be respected by whoever is pushing this agenda and briefing journos off the record...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I don't think there's anything new in that article so it could just be a space filler in the paper.

It said as well that Ulster and Munster were after him so leave Leinster alone, we're not so bad really :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

b.gud wrote: »
    Great to see Heenan and Clarke being involved in some way in training

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152114736858562.1073741894.115936553561&type=1&l=b1941ed056

Great to see Brett still on the sidelines, hes a good resource for the younger props to turn to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Well it's clear Leinster aren't after him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

If anything I'd take Aki's arrival as confirming Henshaw will go nowhere. With the arrival of a quality inside centre who could become IQ, it seems the most sensible thing to do is to let him blood alongside an up-and-coming 13 for a couple of years.

• Advertisement

Neil3030 wrote: »
    If anything I'd take Aki's arrival as confirming Henshaw will go nowhere. With the arrival of a quality inside centre who could become IQ, it seems the most sensible thing to do is to let him blood alongside an up-and-coming 13 for a couple of years.

Is Aki not a 13 himself though?

Is Aki not a 13 himself though?

He seemed to be wearing 12 the whole time in the highlights video that was posted just after his signing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

As far as I know he can play either position but seems to prefer 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Swiwi, the resident expert on all things New Zealand, said he was very much a 12 but I'm sure a potential All Black (again his words) could do a job at 13 if he had to!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

S12b wrote: »
    Swiwi, the resident expert on all things New Zealand, said he was very much a 12 but I'm sure a potential All Black (again his words) could do a job at 13 if he had to!!

He's a 12, but like most 12s, I'm sure he could play 13, especially at Rabo level, maybe less so if Connacht sees HEC action. I can't see the point in playing him at 13, though, I don't think Connacht have a better option at 12, but correct me if I'm wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Swiwi. wrote: »
    He's a 12, but like most 12s, I'm sure he could play 13, especially at Rabo level, maybe less so if Connacht sees HEC action. I can't see the point in playing him at 13, though, I don't think Connacht have a better option at 12, but correct me if I'm wrong.

When Robbie away with International id expect Aki would move 13 and McSharry at 12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Pretty tasty combination with Henshaw at 13, would be interesting to see that.

OK, so will any Connacht supporters watch their new signing in action this Saturday morning, or will I be relied upon for a 2nd-hand match report :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

McSharry had a bit of a golden patch when he was fit a year or so ago and was in or around the Ireland squad. Cant be relied upon as hes so frequently injured but as a second choice centre partnership 12 McSharry 13 Aki stands out as clearly superior to anything else Connacht have

OK, so will any Connacht supporters watch their new signing in action this Saturday morning, or will I be relied upon for a 2nd-hand match report :p

As I don't have Sky a full highlights reel would be great. Cheers! ;)

I'll be watching the first 40, then I'm off with the other half to...Clifden of all places for the weekend...so I'm not sure what will happen about the 2nd 40 :o

• Advertisement

I'll be watching the first 40, then I'm off with the other half to...Clifden of all places for the weekend...so I'm not sure what will happen about the 2nd 40 :o

Clifden
    Home of the All Blacks Swiwi - you will fit right in

wprathead wrote: »
    Clifden

It's a great spot - love Connemara - have been there before, so should be a great trip out West! Just don't let it rain...

It's a great spot - love Connemara - have been there before, so should be a great trip out West! Just don't let it rain...

From what I gathered on the wireless your in luck, decent weather out west this weekend, all the better for us to hopefully cut munster to ribbons :D

freyners wrote: »
    From what I gathered on the wireless your in luck, decent weather out west this weekend, all the better for us to hopefully cut munster to ribbons :D

Excellent! Connemara, West Cork and Donegal are my favourite spots to visit, but especially Connemara. We've also been to the Aran Islands, that was fun too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Clifden

I saw Connemara play in their last ever AIL game there a while ago...it wasn't a pretty sight :(

Ya they happier at Junior level playing local teams tbh

Finn, Qualter, Leader, Heffernan and Bealham all sign 1 year contracts

http://www.connachtrugby.ie/five-players-rewarded-with-new-deals/#ConnachtNews

Could have given Leader and Heffernan a two year deal in truth but good news to hear

Could have given Leader and Heffernan a two year deal in truth but good news to hear

Didn't they do the same with Marmion and Henshaw give them a one year deal to get them out of the academy and then lock them down with 2 year deals early on in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Eat at the restaurant called 'Off The Square'. The owner is a rugby man. Good grub too. Go to Roundstone. It's a must. The scenery is ball breaking...and drive up through the Twelve Pins to Westport and Croagh Patrick and back to Clifden vis Louisburgh and Killary Harbour. Magical. Then get hammered in Clifden.:D

• Advertisement

jacothelad wrote: »
    Eat at the restaurant called 'Off The Square'. The owner is a rugby man. Good grub too. Go to Roundstone. It's a must. The scenery is ball breaking...and drive up through the Twelve Pins to Westport and Croagh Patrick and back to Clifden vis Louisburgh and Killary Harbour. Magical. Then get hammered in Clifden.:D

How's the job going in Failte Ireland? ;)

What time is it on at? I might try to get to watch it.

Me either but that's never stopped me before :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    “I believe Galway is a fantastic city and both myself and my fiancée Taryn, whose grandfather is from County Cork, are really looking forward to settling in over there.

Somebody has been going through SANZAR's last few generations of census...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

WallyGUFC wrote: »

Is James Rael on the way out so? He hasn't got a look in since October.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 yuinc

Is James Rael on the way out so?

yup. Too small.

.ak wrote: »
    Somebody has been going through SANZAR's last few generations of census...

Yeah, but it being his fiancée seems like they are really pushing to show that this player has a connection to Ireland

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Is James Rael on the way out so? He hasn't got a look in since October.
    I think he was on a sort-of-loan deal where it was always the plan that he head back to Munster having seen if he could get a bit of game time in Connacht.

I'm not sure as to how to think of this. With the hookers: I see JHW as future captain, Sean Henry was going well before the injury and Dave Heffernan's conversion has begun to pay off. On the other hand, Wilkinson needed replacing so I'd see this as more of a prop signing.

Also, given how we've become quite a potent scrummaging team, being able to have a bit of versatility there to keep turning the screw can only work out well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Robbo wrote: »
    I think he was on a sort-of-loan deal where it was always the plan that he head back to Munster having seen if he could get a bit of game time in Connacht.

Are you sure? I thought he was surplus to requirements at Munster. He certainly isn't needed now with the emergence of Casey and the contract extension of Scannell.

• Advertisement

Are you sure? I thought he was surplus to requirements at Munster. He certainly isn't needed now with the emergence of Casey and the contract extension of Scannell.

it wasn't a loan deal at all.. he won't be back at Munster..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

b.gud wrote: »
    Yeah, but it being his fiancée seems like they are really pushing to show that this player has a connection to Ireland

If he marries her they'll probably find a way. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Connacht are really racking up the foreigners at this stage;

Clarke, Heenan, Naoupu, Poolman, Aki, McCartney, Fifita and possibly Parks for next season, plus Ah You and White who will be qualifed on residency. Is Nikora staying on?

.ak wrote: »
    If he marries her they'll probably find a way. ;)

I wonder can would that actually work? I'm sure someone at the IRFU is looking at the rules as we speak :)

Clarke, Heenan, Naoupu, Poolman, Aki, McCartney, Fifita and possibly Parks for next season, plus Ah You and White who will be qualifed on residency. Is Nikora staying on?

Is it next year or the year after that Poolman is IQ? I thought I read somewhere recently that Fifita is IQ now, I'll see if I can find the link. Not sure about Nikora

• Advertisement

Heenan, Aki and Poolman are project players. Ah You is already IQ, I think White will be shortly. Nikora has been IQ for a while now, Fifita too. That leaves 3 non-IQs who cannot qualify, hardly "racking up the foreigners".

just because they have become IQ through residency doesn't mean they aren't foreigners.. not that there is anything bad about it but lets not pretend they are irish

Yup signed an extension at the same time as Carty and TOH
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/connacht-re-sign-a-trio-of-backs-1.1695934

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Heenan, Aki and Poolman are project players. Ah You is already IQ, I think White will be shortly. Nikora has been IQ for a while now, Fifita too. That leaves 3 non-IQs who cannot qualify, hardly "racking up the foreigners".

It was an observation, not a dig, but however you want to count them, it's more foreigners arriving at a time when the other provinces are being made to reduce the number of imports.

I'm all for foreign players btw, especially if it makes Connacht competitive.

It was an observation, not a dig, but however you want to count them, it's more foreigners arriving at a time when the other provinces are being made to reduce the number of imports.

I'm all for foreign players btw, especially if it makes Connacht competitive.

Wasn't taken as a dig, so no offence taken, but there's no difference between any of those players and the likes of Strauss, Payne, Court, and I can't remember the last time I heard any of them referred to as a foreigner.

Wrt to fairness between the provinces, I'm all for it - I wouldn't mind Connacht being forced to follow the same rules as the other 3 on foreign players, as long as that's reflected by equality in funding too. That would go a long way to making Connacht competitive...

• Advertisement
Advertisement