Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Part II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

I'm all for foreign players btw, especially if it makes Connacht competitive.

I don't mind having foreign players in the team either if they help bring the team on.
    One thing I've liked is that in the past few games, at least the last 4 for definite, there has only been one NIQ player in the starting 15. And we haven't been suffering without foreign players wither 3 wins out of the last 5 games with 4 TBP is not a bad return at all. I'd say the only game that could have gone differently if we had some of the foreign player, Clarke and Heenan for instance, is the Scarlets game. I think that there is no team that we could have fielded from our current player that would have beaten Ulster the form they were in and in Ravenhill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

b.gud wrote: »
    I don't mind having foreign players in the team either if they help bring the team on.
    One thing I've liked is that in the past few games, at least the last 4 for definite, there has only been one NIQ player in the starting 15. And we haven't been suffering without foreign players wither 3 wins out of the last 5 games with 4 TBP is not a bad return at all. I'd say the only game that could have gone differently if we had some of the foreign player, Clarke and Heenan for instance, is the Scarlets game. I think that there is no team that we could have fielded from our current player that would have beaten Ulster the form they were in and in Ravenhill.

Don't forget the narrow loss away to Glasgow just before those 5 games, 8-6 defeat could easily have been a different result too. Heenan could well have been the difference there, and Ronaldson missed a few kicks too. Coulda woulda shoulda maybe, but that was one that got away...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Zzippy wrote: »
    Wasn't taken as a dig, so no offence taken, but there's no difference between any of those players and the likes of Strauss, Payne, Court, and I can't remember the last time I heard any of them referred to as a foreigner.

Wrt to fairness between the provinces, I'm all for it - I wouldn't mind Connacht being forced to follow the same rules as the other 3 on foreign players, as long as that's reflected by equality in funding too. That would go a long way to making Connacht competitive...

Funding issues certainly didn't appear to have any impact on the signings of Clarke, Aki and Heenan. I do wonder if money was an incentive or not

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    He sounds like a great catch.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Is Naopu staying on next season?

McCarthy, White/Ah You, Clarke, Heenan, Naopu (?), Nikora/Parks, Aki, Poolman

That's a possibility of 8, 7 if Naopu isn't staying on, spots being filled by non irish or irish qualified by residency players which is alot really.

Interesting that both Aki and McCarthy have gotten 3 year deals when 2 are currently the norm.

He won't be coming until after the ITM season so it'll be late October/November before he gets here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

CatFromHue wrote: »

That's a possibility of 8, 7 if Naopu isn't staying on, spots being filled by non irish or irish qualified by residency players which is alot really.

Interesting that both Aki and McCarthy have gotten 3 year deals when 2 are currently the norm.

is swift IQ through parentage or residency?

Aki got a 3 year deal because he is a project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

He won't be coming until after the ITM season so it'll be late October/November before he gets here.

Why the issue of IQ players by residency? Once they're IQ it doesn't matter where they came from. Even if Naoupu stays on its less than Ulster, who have Pienaar, Muller, Afoa, Payne, Court, Diack, Herring, Williams, Doyle... haven't heard too many complaints about their squad having too many "foreigners".

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I dunno, it's just when I read it this morning all I could think is "what, another Kiwi!".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 yuinc

soon there will be enough project players and ex project players to make their own team

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

is swift IQ through parentage or residency?

Aki got a 3 year deal because he is a project.

Irish family I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

wow! we make a new signing and ye're giving out about it because "too many foreigners". FFS! This place us unfathomable sometimes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Good solid player from what I've seen of him.

Didn't say too many foreigners I said you'd have alot, which is correct.

All of Connacht's non Irish or irish qualified through residency players will be considered first teamers unlike Roux, Denton, Herring, Doyle, Bent etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

All of Connacht's non Irish or irish qualified through residency players will be considered first teamers unlike Roux, Denton, Herring, Doyle, Bent etc.

Naoupu, Nikora and White to name just 3 aren't first choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

Not sure about that. Jake Heenan got his opportunity through Willie Faloon's injury, I'm sure Faloon is intent on being first choice 7 next season, given he won player of the year next season.

Wouldn't expect Nikora to be our starting 10 next season. Aki and Poolman will probably be first choice but they have plenty of competition. As will our foreign front rows from Denis Buckley, JHW, etc.,

I don't know if I'd agree with the bit in bold.
    White (soon to be IQ) and Ah You (IQ) are both playing on the loose head side so only one can really be considered a starter. Same for Parks (NIQ and may not be here next year) and Nikora (IQ) at outhalf.
    Clarke (NIQ) is definitely a starter when fit.
    Heenan (NIQ) is most likely a starter but not nailed on him and Faloon (Irish) will really push each other for the starting position, Heenan became the starting 7 due in part to injury to Faloon.
    McKeown has largely taken over from Naoupu as the preference at 8.
    Polman if definitely there or there abouts but since coming back from injury I don't think he's started a game

Potential line up

15. TOH/Leader
    14. Healy
    13. Henshaw
    12. Aki (competition with McSharry)
    11. Poolman
    10. NIQ 10
    9. Marmion

1. Buckley
    2. McCartney (competition with JHW)
    3. Ah You
    4. Clarke
    5. Kearney
    6. Muldoon
    7. Heenan (competition with Faloon)
    8. McKeon

its_phil wrote: »
    Potential line up

15. TOH/Leader
    14. Healy
    13. Henshaw
    12. Aki (competition with McSharry)
    11. Poolman
    10. NIQ 10
    9. Marmion

1. Buckley
    2. McCartney (competition with JHW)
    3. Ah You
    4. Clarke
    5. Kearney
    6. Muldoon
    7. Heenan (competition with Faloon)
    8. McKeon

That's 7 starters and more than likely White on the bench to make 8 overall.

That's 7 starters and more than likely White on the bench to make 8 overall.

Not much in the Irish marketplace available really.

• Advertisement

Not much in the Irish marketplace available really.

Yeah I know. Has to be done really.

Yeah I know. Has to be done really.

I would have loved Niall Annett from Ulster and Jack O'Connell from Leinster (Brett hadn't retired by then though) because of their potential and how relatively cheap they could have been. But alas it wasn't to be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

And in other news, SANZAR is delighted to announce the extension of the SXV to SXVI. "It was a logical choice to include Connacht as the newest addition to Super Rugby. Galway has always been on our radar, and of course the European time zone is beneficial to increasing viewing figures in the North".

Ye can have Tom McCartney, he's kind of fringe Super XV/ITM cup level. Does Connacht actually produce it's own, or will ye end up like Toulon with the odd token Irishman in the mix?

Sigh...

I really would like to know what Pat Lam is drinking, or at least giving his fellows Kiwis to drink, Connacht seems to have mega-pull all of a sudden.

Good luck anyway, and at this rate I'll be obliged to switch allegiance from Leinster to Connacht in support of my compatriots :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Heenan (NIQ) is most likely a starter but not nailed on him and Faloon (Irish) will really push each other for the starting position, Heenan became the starting 7 due in part to injury to Faloon.

Really? I was under the impression Heenan had been a great success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,369 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Whats up with Sean Henry, is he gone?

Yes he certainly has and he will most likely be the first choice 7 next year. My wording probably wasn't the best what I was trying to convey was that Faloon is certainly not a million miles behind him and I could easily see both players spending similar levels of time in the 7 jersey if they are both on top form. Compared to Clarke for instance who would be a dead cert for one of the starting lock positions when fit

• Advertisement

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Ye can have Tom McCartney, he's kind of fringe Super XV/ITM cup level. Does Connacht actually produce it's own, or will ye end up like Toulon with the odd token Irishman in the mix?-pull all of a sudden.

Tiernan O'Halloran, Eoin McKeon, Kieran Marmion, Robbie Henshaw, Ronan Loughney, John Muldoon, Denis Buckley, Eoghan Materson, Darragh Leader, Andrew Browne, Eoin Griffin, Finlay Bealham.

All players that were produced by Connacht and played against Ulster the other night.

Not to mention the high amount of talent coming through in Rory Moloney, Sean O'Brien, Shane Layden, Caolin Blade, Jack Carty, and Conor Finn.

Producing more than enough but it's the bones of a very young team. We need to sign pro's who have played at a higher level and that includes the Aki's and McCartney's of rugby.

Now I take what you may have said in jest, but there are a lot of misinformed people around the province and the country who still think it is a team of useless journeymen like Ezra Taylor so excuse me for going on the defensive.

He has but Faloon is a very good player too. It's good competition but Heenan has more potential. When he plays well, Connacht play well. Losing Heenan and Faloon hasn't helped these past two weeks when we needed a natural 7.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Whats up with Sean Henry, is he gone?

Injury out for rest of season

Tiernan O'Halloran, Eoin McKeon, Kieran Marmion, Robbie Henshaw, Ronan Loughney, John Muldoon, Denis Buckley, Eoghan Materson, Darragh Leader, Andrew Browne, Eoin Griffin, Finlay Bealham.

All players that were produced by Connacht and played against Ulster the other night.

Not to mention the high amount of talent coming through in Rory Moloney, Sean O'Brien, Shane Layden, Caolin Blade, Jack Carty, and Conor Finn.

Producing more than enough but it's the bones of a very young team. We need to sign pro's who have played at a higher level and that includes the Aki's and McCartney's of rugby.

Now I take what you may have said in jest, but there are a lot of misinformed people around the province and the country who still think it is a team of useless journeymen like Ezra Taylor so excuse me for going on the defensive.

Indeed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

What I imagine next year will look like, (not our best team IMO):

Leader
    Poolman
    Henshaw
    McSharry
    Healy

Nikora
    Marmion

McKeon
    Heenan
    Browne
    Kearney
    Clarke
    Ah You
    McCartney
    Buckley

We'll see O'Halloran, Aki, Ronaldson, Blade, Faloon, White, JHW, Masterson and SOBii a bit too.

• Advertisement

An Aussie ;)

Leader
    Poolman
    Henshaw
    McSharry
    Healy

Nikora
    Marmion

McKeon
    Heenan
    Browne
    Kearney
    Clarke
    Ah You
    McCartney
    Buckley

We'll see O'Halloran, Aki, Ronaldson, Blade, Faloon, White, JHW, Masterson and SOBii a bit too.

I don't think Browne will get in over Muldoon next year. McSharry will hold down the 12 until xmas or so but I'd imagine Aki will start to take over then*. Other than that I'd say that is pretty much spot on.

The one other possible change is at 10 if we sign an NIQ 10. though with 3 10s under contract for next year not so sure about that.

*Not too sure how I feel about that. Aki looks to be a super signing and could really help the team to kick on, but McSharry has huge potential when fit. Either way I'm excited about our midfield next year.

I don't think Browne will get in over Muldoon next year. McSharry will hold down the 12 until xmas or so but I'd imagine Aki will start to take over then*. Other than that I'd say that is pretty much spot on.

The one other possible change is at 10 if we sign an NIQ 10. though with 3 10s under contract for next year not so sure about that.

*Not too sure how I feel about that. Aki looks to be a super signing and could really help the team to kick on, but McSharry has huge potential when fit. Either way I'm excited about our midfield next year.

With 6 NIQs under contract I would hope that you wouldn't sign an other one

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

An Aussie ;)
    Efforts have been taken to dimish that now that the mullet's gone.

An Aussie ;)

Came through the Connacht academy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

A Welshman ;)

Came through the Connacht academy ;)

Had a trial period with Ulster first, Aussie exile -> Ulster -> Connacht ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

Hagz wrote: »
    A Welshman ;)

Cathal Sheridan is a Connacht man, still a Munster academy developed player.

Hagz wrote: »
    A Welshman ;)
    Had a trial period with Ulster first, Aussie exile -> Ulster -> Connacht ;)

Connacht produced being the key words lads. ;)

Sure Ronan O'Gara is a product of US Rugby and Jamie Heaslip was a potential superstar for Israel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Seems to be an awful lot of begrudgery going on in here today in light of the new signing.

• Advertisement

With 6 NIQs under contract I would hope that you wouldn't sign an other one

Naoupu, McCartey, Aki, Heenan, Clarke and Poolman. Naoupu has one year left and probably won't be renewed, while Poolman has one year left until IQ. So we will be down to 4 next year. Wouldn't harm us to have one player who is hopefully a 10. If we could find one Irish utility back out there that would be great but is there one? I see us re-signing Duffy (on a smaller deal) for the sake of depth

Badly need a defence coach though.

What time is it on at? I might try to get to watch it.

b.gud, the game starts at 8.30 am Irish time on Saturday morning. Aside from getting to watch Aki in action, it also promises to be a good game of Super Rugby between the NZ conference-topping but not completely convincing Chiefs and a somewhat resurgent Crusaders side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

did ye not get any easter eggs or has ouncer taken over all of yer accounts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Bazzo wrote: »
    Seems to be an awful lot of begrudgery going on in here today in light of the new signing.

The word 'begrudgery' gets thrown around a lot and most of the time it's used totally incorrectly. Like here. Who's begrudging Connacht anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shooter_galway

Is parks contract being extended or is he moving into the coaching set up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

The word 'begrudgery' gets thrown around a lot and most of the time it's used totally incorrectly. Like here. Who's begrudging Connacht anything?

It was meant in a semi-joking fashion...

The semi-serious side of it would be 3 pages of comments about "foreigners" signing for Connacht when there's normally about 3 comments a day on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,383 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Leader
    Poolman
    Henshaw
    McSharry
    Healy

Nikora
    Marmion

McKeon
    Heenan
    Browne
    Kearney
    Clarke
    Ah You
    McCartney
    Buckley

We'll see a lot of Aki between McSharry's injuries and Henshaw being in Ireland camp. In fact we might see more of him than the other two over the course of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Any word on a new 10 or Jack Conan??

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭rugby_fan

with the players graduating from the academy announced and no mention of layden..any mention of where he's going or whats the story?

• Advertisement

Swiwi. wrote: »
    b.gud, the game starts at 8.30 am Irish time on Saturday morning. Aside from getting to watch Aki in action, it also promises to be a good game of Super Rugby between the NZ conference-topping but not completely convincing Chiefs and a somewhat resurgent Crusaders side.

I don't think I'll make the first half but will try to get the second half and show my support for the Connacht sub-academy (aka the Chiefs) :)

Advertisement