Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have a small clump of it and it has remained a small clump.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

The problem comes if you decide you no longer want it. If you take it out and remove all the soil around it at the same time your fine. But what then do taryou do with the soil? Most people won't black bin bag it so it ends up on the compost heap or similar only to start the spread.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

They have some sort of tiny bulbs as a root system. I had my work cut out to save the few that my father (who considers anything without visible, open flowers a weed) almost obliterated with a strimmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭standardg60

It's funny my own mother kept clumps of it it tidy exactly as the OP describes, and purely for nostalgia (we used to eat the stems as kids), i had to have a bit of it in my own garden too. There seems to be various forms of it, a darker pink one which behaves itself and a lighter pink one which insists on spreading and appearing randomly. It's possible both me and Looksee have the former and the OP the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭jmreire

In my garden, there's 2 pear trees, which each year, give a good crop of fruit. They're not very sweet TBH, but the lady next door collects them and makes some kind of jam or sweet with them.( lots of sugar needed, I imagine) On one tree, the most fruitful one, there's a branch coming out from the main tree down at the base, and it never gives any fruit at all. Meanwhile, the main body of the tree is showing masses of flower heads. But now, a few days ago, I noticed that the non fruit bearing branch was showing black/ rust colored spots, and it appears to be dying. And today. I see that it has spread to the main body of the plant. Any info would be appreciated. ( BTW, the ash trees that I had have all started to suffer from ash dieback, could this affect the pear trees too? )

Thanks for your advice !!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Could you possibly post a picture? It might be of help to identify what's ailing your tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,819 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I had completely forgotten about chewing the stems of it!!

We used to eat the young leaves of common sorrel, we used to stick a few into salads, as well.

Plenty of people grow it but the red veined version looks better in a salad

• Advertisement

Here are some pics of the affected tree, its sister tree, 20 ft away is already showing multiple fruit buds, but nothing on this one, What ever it is, it has progressed very rapidly. Two weeks ago, it appeared OK, then the Graft ( or what ever it is ) showed signs of dying with the black spot, now within the last few days the spot has appeared and it looks to be dying too. And while there were plenty of flowers on it, none of them have developed into fruit buds.

Thanks again for your help and Best Regards, Jim.

My first thoughts on that would be Phytophthora. I'm ignoring the spots and concentrating more on the sudden death. Its certainly a problem that pears amongst many other plants can suffer from it. Second disease in the link below.

Another good link

If it is that you can sometimes diagnose it by scraping the bark layer back to the cambium which goes brown (some say reddish brown). Cutting a section can show a brown ring where the cambium layer is.

Yes, seems to fit all the symptoms all right!! Remove it I guess, and hope that Pear tree Nr 2 will not be affected, so I will be keeping a close eye on it, and any black spotted leaves will be promptly removed. Pity though, it was one of the star performers in the garden!!!🙂

Update on what I've done... Pic 1 shows the half twin, the none fruit bearing one, and the first part to quickly succumb to the infection. Pic 2 shows the "Good" part, and as you can see, the black spots and curling leaves are starting to appear, but at a much slower rate. Pic 3 show's the pruned branches, and its pretty severe. Pic 4 shows the brown ring in the bark, that you mentioned, so that's the confirmation of your diagnosis. Now the question is , what can be done with it? If I cut back the branches that are showing black spots, will I be able to save the tree? Or would it be better to remove it altogether? Thanks again for your help? Jim.

If it is phytophthera its soil born and will affect anything you plant in the soil. I've seen it attack a hedge at one end and over the years work down through it and kill the whole hedge. In the garden I used to work in it took hold of one area and after killing almost everything (primarily rhododendrons and azaleas) very little that would thrive afterwards. Best bet it to only plant plants with some resistance.

RHS has a good list https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/pdfs/phytophthora-host-list.pdf

. So as there's nothing to be done to save the tree, best to remove it altogether. So I'll do that, but with great regret,

Many thanks for your very helpful advice, Jim.

I wouldn't be so drastic just yet.

It looks more like a severe case of leaf spot to me. Btw the branch you cut off was a sucker from the rootstock which is why it never grew the same as the tree, remove as much of it as possible.

I think there could be two or even three issues if you include the sucker off the rootstock.

My point is it may be Phytophthora as well as some problem thats causing the black leaves. Phytophthora doesn't cause black leaves it does cause sudden death and/or large areas of die back.

If the other part of the tree is mostly OK then cut of as much of the dead growth from the rootstock as possible and then wait and see what happens.

Agreed there's a couple of issues, something caused the sucker to die off, just not convinced it's phytopthora as Pyrus is rarely affected as per your rhs list. Could have been anything else including water collecting in the join between the two trunks. The sucker is no loss anyway.

I would spray off the grass growing around the trunk and give a good feed of fertilizer and see what happens.

To StandardG60 and The Continental Op, Thank you both so much for your helpful advice!! So all is not lost as yet, and I'd really like to save the tree if at all possible, so I'll follow your advice. After removing all the sucker growth, it turns out that it was the biggest part of the tree, with the fruit bearing part being the smaller partner. I have a 2nd Pear about 20 feet away from the problematic one, and so far that one seems to be OK, its bearing fruit as usual anyway so far. We will see,

Again Thanks to you both, Jim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Theres a large bush in my garden, I'll get a pic when I get to the laptop but I'm 99% sure it's this:

I just wanted to ask is it any good to our native wildlife or is it more of an ornamental plant (or invasive)

I'm trying to bring a large suburban garden under control but also turn it into a bird/pollinator/native friendly zone and I'm wondering if I should rip this out and replace with something better but I won't if its any use to the birds/insects/other life. It is very large, tall and wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,987 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

It's an exotic invasive, and is everywhere in Ireland as far as I can tell. Bees seem to like it. Seems it was introduced from South America.

I'd leave it be, bees need whatever help they can get and this plant is quite vigorous.

That Fuchsia will also take hard pruning if its getting to big. Late winter (end Feb) is best time to do it. You can take it within 6 inches of the ground if you want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Any idea what these are?

I see the every year but they never come to anything.

They are bulb seeds of some sort, probably lilies or maybe Calla lilies - what was in flower there?

It is now a very small clump as the dratted rabbits have eaten it. I see more rabbit fence making in my future.

I've something similar at home, they make either purple or white flowers that are shaped like a starry bell (I know, it's a rubbish explanation) but I can't for the life of me remember their name. They're not agapanthus or allium. There's also a chance they could be Spanish bluebells, but it's a bit late for them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Bill Hook

They could be Triteleia laxa 'Queen Fabiola'; a bit like a mini agapanthus when in full flower.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

They are in amongst daffodils which I always end up cutting back before the above get to flower. They always end up as casualties so I haven’t actually seen them flower

• Advertisement

Advertisement