Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chopped

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,607 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

anewme wrote: »
    Sorry but it is, the average portion of dressing whatever it is, when “squirted” into the salad is a lot more than 60ml

60ml is 4 tablespoons. A lot more than 4 tablespoons would be the average dressing
    I said olive oil, not dressing. Big difference.
    60ml of olive oil is a lot on a salad. If you used that on a salad at home, the calories would be no different. So it's very bizarre to use that to complain about chopped.

60ml is 60ml. No need it convert it to anything.
    Most tablespoons hold less than a "tablespoon" (15ml). But it's around two shot glasses of oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

The container for the dressing to go with your salad is 2oz. That makes it 60ml.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Mellor wrote: »
    I said olive oil, not dressing. Big difference.
    60ml of olive oil is a lot on a salad. If you used that on a salad at home, the calories would be no different. So it's very bizarre to use that to complain about chopped.

60ml is 60ml. No need it convert it to anything.
    Most tablespoons hold less than a "tablespoon" (15ml). But it's around two shot glasses of oil.

There’s difference of maybe 100 calories.

60 ml of lemon herb dressing is over 400 calories for 60ml. The average serving on a salad in chopped would be considerably more than 60 ml. So people are not aware of how much calories they are consuming in the dressing.

Why do you think that Chopped display their calories for salads but not for dressings.?

Where is the transparency.?

The container for the dressing to go with your salad is 2oz. That makes it 60ml.

It’s tiny. When they put it in at the serving station, it’s a lot more than 4 tablespoons of dressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭techdiver

What dressing do you want ingredients for and I'll pm it to you tomorrow?

Cheers. Oriental, Piri Piri, Mexican, Cajun Lemon, Lemon Herb.

Thanks again.

Stay away from lemon herb!

There’s difference of maybe 100 calories.

60 ml of lemon herb dressing is over 400 calories for 60ml. The average serving on a salad in chopped would be considerably more than 60 ml. So people are not aware of how much calories they are consuming in the dressing.

Why do you think that Chopped display their calories for salads but not for dressings.?

Where is the transparency.?

Lemon herb is a vinigrette. It's probably 80% olive oil. Of course its similar to plain olive. Dressings that mostly oil are high in calories.

Saying its about 100 cals difference with all dressings is dumb. You own posts contradicts you.
    You'd be right in thinking that.

Lemon juice 8 calories.
    BBQ zesty 70 calories
    Low fat sweet chilli 96 calories
    Cajun lemon/ fitzwillam 177 calories
    Spiced herb or piri piri 180
    Low fat mayo 188 calories
    Ceasar 192
    Chopped house 196
    Honey mustard 225
    Balsamic vinaigrette 227
    Lemon herb vinaigrette 407
    Olive oil 504

Think I left out a couple, Mexican, Greek and Thai are around 182 calories

This is all for 60g dressings in the salads, they put 35,g into the wraps

Not, you said before they put 60g in the salads. But now you are saying 60g is a tiny amount and they put in way more. :rolleyes:

techdiver wrote: »

Thanks again.

I put the calories in page one of the thread.

Lemon herb is a vinigrette. It's probably 80% olive oil. Of course its similar to plain olive. Dressings that mostly oil are high in calories.

Saying its about 100 cals difference with all dressings is dumb. You own posts contradicts you.

Not, you said before they put 60g in the salads. But now you are saying 60g is a tiny amount and they put in way more. :rolleyes:

Your tone is rude and condescending.

I did not say they put 60g of dressing the salads, THEY said it in an email to me.

THEY said THEY put 60g dressing (be it oil/vinegrette or whatever) on a salad and 35g on the wraps.

I think they put a lot more in, as the servers tend to be heavy handed with the squirter and they dont measure. It would be easy to put 80-100g of dressing on one of those salads to coat the leaves and not realise it. 60g is not a huge amount for the amount of leaves.

Other people have also said here that they got salads that were swimming in dressing.

It was Chopped's recommendation to ask for the dressing on the side in the little pot.

Ive been behind a person in the queue to have a server ask them "which dressing would you like, piri piri, mexican or lemon and herb) so people may not realise that its vinigrette.

My point is people are eating Chopped thinking they are healthy as someone else says here, that's the sales pitch, its really fast food.

It can be healthy, depending on what you pick, but Chopped not displaying the calories of the dressings alongside the salads is not transparant in helping people make healthier choices.

Anway, I posted the dressings up to help people, that was the question asked, not to be labelled dumb.

• Advertisement

techdiver wrote: »

Thanks again.

I got some of the products/sauces broken down. I left out piri piri, I'll sort that out next week. I picked 100g as it was easiest for calculations.

Every thing in grams. I'm not writing calories, fat etc each time after the numbers but they go down the same format.

Cajun Lemon
    304 calories
    30.9 fat
    2.5 saturates
    2.4 sugar
    0.8 protein
    1.6 salt

Mexican

Thai

Low fat Mayo

Orleans

Dubliner Caesar

[
    Anway, I posted the dressings up to help people, that was the question asked, not to be labelled dumb.
    I didn't dispute the numbers you put up. I assume that helped people. But saying all dressings are "maybe 100cals" different to olive oil is misleading and incorrect. I also didn't say you were dumb, not sure where you got that.
    If somebody is getting olive oil on a salad thinking it's healthy. They need to brush up a bit on the basics.

I didn't dispute the numbers you put up. I assume that helped people. But saying all dressings are "maybe 100cals" different to olive oil is misleading and incorrect. I also didn't say you were dumb, not sure where you got that.
    If somebody is getting olive oil on a salad thinking it's healthy. They need to brush up a bit on the basics.

I think you’ve misinterpreted my post or I was not clear enough in how I said it.

The 100 calories I was referring to was the difference between olive oil and Lemon herb which I mentioned below. Not all dressings. If I posted that olive oil was 504 calories and balsamic vinegar was 227, I’m well aware that’s not 100 calories as it’s basic maths.

I think most people would be aware olive oil was high in caloriees(maybe not that high) but might not realise the lemon and herb was as high.

It’s in a squirty plastic bottle so it’s you can’t see if it’s oil based.

So when they ask you if you want (peri piri or Greek ir Thai or lemon and herb) or whatever, many ppl will just go ehhhh I’ll take lemon and herb.

A good few of our office staff get chopped and when we got the calories for the dressings, every single one was surprised and had underestimated all of the calories. So most now get it now on the side.

Seeing it 4 tablespoons made it clearer for them to see. A tablespoon is 14.7ml so it’s a fairly good visual way too view it as 4 tablespoons.

I think the caloriees should be displayed in the shops to be more transparent and enable customers make more informed choices.

I think you’ve misinterpreted my post or I was not clear enough in how I said it.

The 100 calories I was referring to was the difference between olive oil and Lemon herb which I mentioned below. Not all dressings.

If I posted that olive oil was 504 calories and balsamic vinegar was 227, I’m well aware that’s not 100 calories as it’s basic maths.
    Post is above. I said there's a big difference between oil and dressings - as in all dressing generally.
    You said there’s difference of maybe 100 calories. Lemon herb was mentioned after.
    So when they ask you if you want (peri piri or Greek ir Thai or lemon and herb) or whatever, many ppl will just go ehhhh I’ll take lemon and herb.
    That's fair enough, they might think its lemon juice and herbs. But one meal won't ruin a diet. If they get it once, they'll have an idea it's not the low option next time.
    A good few of our office staff get chopped and when we got the calories for the dressings, every single one was surprised and had underestimated all of the calories.
    That's believable. Most people have a poor idea of calories. Generally salad dressings are gonna be oil or mayo based.
    I think the caloriees should be displayed in the shops to be more transparent and enable customers make more informed choices.
    Agree. No reason not to display it if they have it availible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Post is above. I said there's a big difference between oil and dressings - as in all dressing generally.
    You said there’s difference of maybe 100 calories. Lemon herb was mentioned after.

That's fair enough, they might think its lemon juice and herbs. But one meal won't ruin a diet. If they get it once, they'll have an idea it's not the low option next time.

That's believable. Most people have a poor idea of calories. Generally salad dressings are gonna be oil or mayo based.

Agree. No reason not to display it if they have it availible.
    The problem for them displaying the calories is down to the amount of dressing each individual person working in chopped puts in the salad... i have seen workers putting the right amount just for flavour and others who would nearly put a quarter of a bottle in it ? so much so you would only taste the dressing and not the salad.
    I think they all should come with the dressing on the side which would make displaying the calories an hell of a lot easier.

harr wrote: »
    The problem for them displaying the calories is down to the amount of dressing each individual person working in chopped puts in the salad... i have seen workers putting the right amount just for flavour and others who would nearly put a quarter of a bottle in it ? so much so you would only taste the dressing and not the salad.
    I think they all should come with the dressing on the side which would make displaying the calories an hell of a lot easier.

That’s actually my point about some people being heavy handed with the squirter. Very easy to add a few hundred calories but at least if the calories were displayed and shown even if indicated as 60g then people can at least steer away from the higher ones, when now there’s no guidance at all.

• Advertisement

That’s actually my point about some people being heavy handed with the squirter. Very easy to add a few hundred calories but at least if the calories were displayed and shown even if indicated as 60g then people can at least steer away from the higher ones, when now there’s no guidance at all.
    I have seen the little squirt they need to fill those little containers but watching some of them putting the dressing on the salads it’s at least double and sometimes a lot more. Some places are always spot on while others are always a bit more generous.

harr wrote: »
    I have seen the little squirt they need to fill those little containers but watching some of them putting the dressing on the salads it’s at least double and sometimes a lot more. Some places are always spot on while others are always a bit more generous.

60 g is small enough is especially as there’s so much leaves. If I was making my own salad at hime id have a lot less leaves and more sides so it’s easier to judge.

Could they get containers made for the servers when they dispense the dressing like bars use to get a pub measure. Like if they press the bottle 60g goes into the chamber and is released. I’m just thinking iof environmental damage if everyone asked for a plastic pot with every salad. Going to stop doing that myself actually.

I think it’s something chopped need to develop on as part of their strategy...how to standardize dressing without adding more plastic.

On a positive note I believe they use Brady Ham and Nolan salmon so I’ll be sticking with salmon and lemon juice I think.

Apologies for the delay. Below are the piri piri dressing stats.

100 g sample.
    302 Cal's
    30.8 g fat
    2.5 saturates
    3.4 carbs
    2.3 sugar
    0.8 protein
    1.5 salt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

So... lemon juice all the way yeah? Can take as much on the lemon juice as I want?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

I would never have though the balsamic dressing was that high, it’s the one I always get thinking it wS s good option. The house dressing is lower !!

• Advertisement

molly09 wrote: »
    I would never have though the balsamic dressing was that high, it’s the one I always get thinking it wS s good option. The house dressing is lower !!

Balsamic vinegar is low cal, it's just vinegar.
    Balsamic dressing on the other hand, is mostly oil with some balsamic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Ah lads so what IS healthy to eat when out and about in town? When even chipped is tricking you into believing you're being healthy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,656 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Ah lads so what IS healthy to eat when out and about in town? When even chipped is tricking you into believing you're being healthy

Theyre not tricking anyone and the food isn't unhealthy. It's about the calorie content in their food.

Theyre not tricking anyone and the food isn't unhealthy. It's about the calorie content in their food.

They hide the calories of the sauces and squirt too much onto the food. It's been said loads of times on their thread that people had no clue how much extra calories they're consuming in chopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,918 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

MarkY91 wrote:
    They hide the calories of the sauces and squirt too much onto the food. It's been said loads of times on their thread that people had no clue how much extra calories they're consuming in chopped.

They're not "hiding" anything. Honest to God, if people don't realise that oil-based dressings are fattening then it's not really Chopped's fault, is it? Choose your dressing wisely and get it on the side. It's not exactly rocket science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,656 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You'd swear it was a Chopped conspiracy to get too many calories into people.

And having too many calories isn't the same as it being unhealthy. There are more calories in an average avocado than there is in a Crunchie bar. Does that mean that avocados are unhealthy or that you should just be more conscious of portions.

If you think they put too much dressing on in general, ask for it on the side.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    They're not "hiding" anything. Honest to God, if people don't realise that oil-based dressings are fattening then it's not really Chopped's fault, is it? Choose your dressing wisely and get it on the side. It's not exactly rocket science.

The calories for the salads are displayed on the board in the shop but not the calories for the dressings( not even for 60g)

They don’t have the calorie content available at the shop and you have to email head office to get them.

Would not go as far as calling it conspiracy theory, but showing the salad without the dressing shows a lack of transparency.

It’s not about saying people should realise, unfortunately a lot of people don’t, that’s the whole idea of displaying the calories when eating out , be it Chopped or McDonalds or whoever in the first place.

They're quite literally hiding the calories of their dressings by not displaying them in the store. Why display calories for their salad but not dressing? Let me guess....because it won't appear to be healthy anymore and they'll lose customers.

Just display the calories in the dressings. Don't hide then to appear healthier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

I've only been to Chopped about 5 times, all in the last 6-8 weeks. I like the food, I'll be using it a lot more.

After the first time, I said to the guy "a small squirt" of dressing, he did just that, once I asked for a small bit more. I've also told them about chopping the food half way through that "that's fine", as I like a bit of bite. They were always more than happy to comply.

People should be prepared to open their mouths and adjust the food when it's being prepared rather than complaining afterwards. Admittedly you'll need a couple of visits to get the hang of it, but if you're buying it several times a week then there's no excuse.

I agree it would be helpful to have the dressing calories written down, but if you're calorie counting then you should know roughly what is in dressings calorie wise. If you're worried about calories, then buy a couple of apples or bring your own food, or go to McDonalds where it's all written down and all portioned out to the gramme.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Anytime I've gone to Chopped I've just not got a dressing. I'm generally fine with foods that are quite dry, and I find there's plenty of flavour in the protein and vegetables without them.

• Advertisement

The lemon juice is really nice just a dash over the salad as well. Very refreshing.

The calories for the salads are displayed on the board in the shop but not the calories for the dressings( not even for 60g)

They don’t have the calorie content available at the shop and you have to email head office to get them.

Would not go as far as calling it conspiracy theory, but showing the salad without the dressing shows a lack of transparency.

It’s not about saying people should realise, unfortunately a lot of people don’t, that’s the whole idea of displaying the calories when eating out , be it Chopped or McDonalds or whoever in the first place.

I have all the calories written down on the previous page for the dressing. If you want the calories for any chopped sauce, let me know and I'll get it for you tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Isn't that kind of the entire point of a salad?

Not really..they could put more peppers and tomatoes and stuff in..I dont like paying 8 euro for a bucket of leaves,salad just means mix of vegetables and othetr toppings doesnt have to be 90% lettuce, its annoying how few healthy takeaway options there are in dublin that are tasty as well so if I ever want to eat healthy out I usually do go to chopped..even in other resturants things you think of as healthy like vegetable soup are full of oil and cream and salt!
    When I was in vancouver you could get delicious sushi poke bowls for 7 euro and theres enough in them for lunch and a dinner!The base for the fish was nutritious and filling, it had bits like cabbage, brown rice,seaweed, beans,avocado stuff like that , that just felt like it had more substance than iceberg/mixed leaves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

And I mightnt go so far as saying its a conspiracy theory, but theyre definitely being less open than they should be when theyre branding themselves as a health food store. No they dont want to go make people fat per se but fattening foods generally taste better, the sauces make their salads much nicer, and they know this, and youll come back and get that tasty salad that they didnt full tell the truth to you about the calories in it

It is very much not a coincidence that they dont have the calorie count of sauces openly available on the menus

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Blazing salads on Drury st. is amazing. You choose what to put into your tub.
    My boojum order would be fairly healthy: burrito bowl with rice, vegetables, pinto beans, black beans, sweet corn salsa, tomato salsa and guacamole.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

On the topic of Boojim/Burrito places. Is the Mexican rice a lot more calorific than the white rice?

Also, I think that if Chopped did put the total calorie count on their menu, they wouldn’t have been as successful as they have been. They know what they’re doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,918 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

CM24 wrote: »
    Also, I think that if Chopped did put the total calorie count on their menu, they wouldn’t have been as successful as they have been. They know what they’re doing.

Are the dressings obligatory? If they're an optional extra then Chopped aren't hiding anything by listing the calorie counts of the undressed salads. Yes, it would be nice if they listed the dressing calories in addition, but I still don't think it's their fault if people don't realise they're adding several hundred calories by choosing an oil-based or creamy dressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭easygoing1982

If you want the calories for any chopped sauce, let me know and I'll get it for you tomorrow.

I could have missed it and apologies if I have. Could you get the calories for the Caesar dressing please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

Are the dressings obligatory? If they're an optional extra then Chopped aren't hiding anything by listing the calorie counts of the undressed salads. Yes, it would be nice if they listed the dressing calories in addition, but I still don't think it's their fault if people don't realise they're adding several hundred calories by choosing an oil-based or creamy dressing.

With oil, pesto, vinaigrette, yes but it's not obvious with the likes of "Greek passion", "Oriental", "Thai adventure", "Mexican", "New Orleans".

• Advertisement

I could have missed it and apologies if I have. Could you get the calories for the Caesar dressing please

Hi, top of page 6 has all the calories, etc. If you want any other details please let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Any ideas on a recipe for replicating the chopped vinaigrette?

Prezatch wrote: »
    Any ideas on a recipe for replicating the chopped vinaigrette?
    Balsamic vinegar, olive oil , pinch of salt, honey and a tea spoon of your favourite mustard...
    The vinegar and oil are base ingredients add what you want after that.. you can also use different vinegars ( red wine , white wine or sherry vinegar)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭chancer007

surprised they dont mention anything about chicken being 100% Irish...or not..anyone know?

chancer007 wrote: »
    surprised they dont mention anything about chicken being 100% Irish...or not..anyone know?

O'Brien's farm food, Naas supply the chicken.

Had'nt been to Chopped in ages as feel its a bit bland and gimicky.

Went to the Liffey Valley one today and they appear to have totally overhauled the menu. Not sure if that is all the Choppeds?

Theres a lot more choices and the pre-planned salads are much more imaginative.

I got pear, blue cheese, walnut and pomegranate with pomegrante vinegar and it was absolutely gorgeous.

On the downside, the calories have all disappeared from the menu, it says ask.....the other issue is that they were grossly understaffed and people were waiting over a half hour in the queue. Felt sorry for the 2 staff who were struggling, but were trying to keep their chin up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement