Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 PUP - Self-Employed only

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Vieira82

I'm on this same boat, Got it reduced to 250€ as they took into account 2018 tax returns, my fault my accountant only submitted 2019 returns on 16th of September. What I've done so far:

- Sent a registered letter with 2019 tax returns
    - Phoned Covid helpline was informed there's a backlog
    - Was given the email address to appeal the decision and sent the digital tax returns to this email Email: PUPRerate@welfare.ie
    - Sent a second email to PUPRerate@welfare.ie with the 2019 tax returns this week

Any idea whom I could go to next to get this revised? those 50€ make a huge difference sadly :S

• Registered Users Posts: 48 jkp

I've been waiting 6 weeks now since first contacting them via email.
    Have sent 1 follow up since. Still no reply as of yet.

If you've sent an appeal by registered post, and enough time has passed, you can probably contact the ombudsman about it.
    There's a post earlier in the thread (#193) detailing that process.

jkp wrote: »
    I've been waiting 6 weeks now since first contacting them via email.
    Have sent 1 follow up since. Still no reply as of yet.

If you've sent an appeal by registered post, and enough time has passed, you can probably contact the ombudsman about it.
    There's a post earlier in the thread (#193) detailing that process.

Thanks next step is that one then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

If one has been on pup since the lick down then comes of it for few weeks work, then there's another lockdown will they be reinstated on to it again or just have to go on the dole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,022 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

kingbhome wrote: »
    If one has been on pup since the lick down then comes of it for few weeks work, then there's another lockdown will they be reinstated on to it again or just have to go on the dole.

(Lick) down aside :) currently claimants who've signed off but had to claim again, can do so, this is up to years end, I presume the same is the case for Self Employed. I also believe self employed can actually earn some income without it affecting their claim so that might be a better option, depending what work your referring too, other may advise accordingly. But yes to the main question.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

Dempo1 wrote: »
    (Lick) down aside :) currently claimants who've signed off but had to claim again, can do so, this is up to years end, I presume the same is the case for Self Employed. I also believe self employed can actually earn some income without it affecting their claim so that might be a better option, depending what work your referring too, other may advise accordingly. But yes to the main question.

Wish it was a lick down instead of a kick down haha.

How much can they earn while still claiming?

kingbhome wrote: »
    Wish it was a lick down instead of a kick down haha.

How much can they earn while still claiming?

:) I'm not entirely sure, as per usual this is a vague area, the Department say, one of jobs, odd jobs etc. Maybe others on this thread have experience of this or perhaps look at the criteria for PUP & self employed on the SW site. Ideally if you could avoid having to close and restart claim would be best, but do check, good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Has anyone self employed who left the PUP payment and then needed to go back on it after work dried up again successfully got back onto the payment ?

Was there much of a waiting time second time around if so ?

Thanks

Doing my form 11, paying preliminary tax for 2020, am I right in saying the PUP is taxable income and I should calculate my income for this year based on that plus the weeks up to March 20th when I stopped working?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mallowgarry

Juwwi wrote: »
    Has anyone self employed who left the PUP payment and then needed to go back on it after work dried up again successfully got back onto the payment ?

Thanks

Returned to work (self-employed) for a few weeks. Level 3 restrictions prevent me from travelling to work outside the County, so I am off the road again.

Re-applied for the PUP on October 5th, via MyWelfare.ie as instructed.
    Received an email from DEASP on 12th October:

"We have reviewed your application for Covid Pandemic Unemployment Payment.
    Our review of your application shows that:

The Department does not have any recent record of PRSI contributions paid by you at the following Classes: A/E/H/P/S.

As a result, we cannot make a decision on your claim at this time for the following reasons:

1. We cannot verify if you were in employment before claiming the Covid Pandemic Unemployment Payment.

2. We cannot determine the rate of payment which should apply to your claim.

Because of this, it is not possible to make any payments to you."

Having just closed my original PUP claim, including a lengthy battle to obtain the higher rate, it now appears that DEASP have no record of all my paperwork from the original claim.

You couldn't make this up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Returned to work (self-employed) for a few weeks. Level 3 restrictions prevent me from travelling to work outside the County, so I am off the road again.

The Department does not have any recent record of PRSI contributions paid by you at the following Classes: A/E/H/P/S.

As a result, we cannot make a decision on your claim at this time for the following reasons:

1. We cannot verify if you were in employment before claiming the Covid Pandemic Unemployment Payment.

Having just closed my original PUP claim, including a lengthy battle to obtain the higher rate, it now appears that DEASP have no record of all my paperwork from the original claim.

You're allowed leave your county for work.....

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mallowgarry

Hoboo wrote: »
    You're allowed leave your county for work.....

The State Outsourced work to a private firm, and I work for them as a self-employed contractor.

As soon as Level 3 restrictions were announced, our work was withdrawn.

This is utterly shocking and beyond belief (although maybe not), surely they have accessible records from your previous claim?, is it any wonder no one should close a claim without 100% certainty. This whilst the Government hinting at self employed supports, a complete disgrace.

I've been following other threads non self employed and people signing back on are also facing difficulties.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭murphf

quote="Juwwi;114908225"]Has anyone self employed who left the PUP payment and then needed to go back on it after work dried up again successfully got back onto the payment ?

Thanks[/quote]
    I'm going through the process currently 😳 i had work July and August (small animal holiday boarding) so I closed my payment which I had no trouble getting , and now have had that standard reply that they can't see I've paid prsi! I've resent all the relevant information , reapplied , been on the phone, nothing! Ironically I've had an 'arrears ' payment of 147 euros a couple of weeks back and nothing since , I mean if I'm not entitled to it now I wasn't entitled to it then, so why have I had that 😠nonsense !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭ATC110

Two questions:

1) Has anyone whose PUP rate was reduced in July successfully appealed and had their rate increased based upon their 2019 tax return?

I’ll be submitting my 2019 return this month

2) When does the part-time working (€480/month) scheme for PUP recipients apply from ?

• Advertisement

ATC110 wrote: »
    Two questions:

1) Has anyone whose PUP rate was reduced in July successfully appealed and had their rate increased based upon their 2019 tax return?

I’ll be submitting my 2019 return this month

2) When does the part-time working (€480/month) scheme for PUP recipients apply from ?

got it reduced in Sept. literally filled tax day before the message about the cut (thanks to my accountant). Sent written letter on the next day. sent tax returns already three times and a phone call where i was told "we're too busy atm" so i think I'll have to go to the omusband comission. Sadly this cut means I'm effed finantially now and payment break from car loan is over too so it's really becoming difficult atm and that extra 50€ makes a world of a difference!

Just an update. Just rang the covid19 helpline and was told that you you're looking to have the payment re-checked besides having sent your tax returns for 2019 that show you go above the threshold you have to have fully paid your 2019 taxes too.

Can anyone confirm this is the case with whoever got the re-rate done?

Also got told it can take between 5 to 6 weeks for it to be re-checked given the backlog at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 jkp

I'm waiting 7 weeks and change now with no response.

I can't speak as to having to have 2019 taxes paid... but it sounds wrong - payment is not due until 31st October and Revenue have extended the deadline in many cases this year.
    Although at this rate I'll be lucky if I get a response before the payment deadline.

Hopefully someone who has been successfully rerated can update.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭torrevieja

So folks look like pup is been restored, So can someone explain if you got the 350 before does it mean u get it back

Are they basing this on net pay which had to be over 10,000 before or is it that u had to have a gross earning of over €400 a week

torrevieja wrote: »
    So folks look like pup is been restored, So can someone explain if you got the 350 before does it mean u get it back

Are they basing this on net pay which had to be over 10,000 before or is it that u had to have a gross earning of over €400 a week

It's more nuanced than that. Saw an RTE article explaining it on Facebook earlier

• Advertisement

ATC110 wrote: »
    It's more nuanced than that. Saw an RTE article explaining it on Facebook earlier

Can u enlighten does earning 400 not mean Ur gross ?

I'd be happy if they get me to 300 like my tax returns show.... but the guy the other day on the phone was very rude and dismissive... he said he'd escalate my case but honestly I don't think he did anything... And now with thousands applying pretty sure I'll be hanging dry for sometime now -.-. Those extra 50 make a whole world of difference specially when AIB refuses to extend the payment break without it having consequences to my credit rating... -.-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I’ve also just received the standard email saying they have no record of my paying prsi recently. This makes no sense as I completed and filed my Form 11 before 31 August and paid my taxes due then too.

I regret telling them I’d found some short-term work tbh. I should have just kept claiming it instead of trying to do “the right thing”

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sandra81

Hi there, I received the PUP from April to the end of July. I closed out my PUP application as my business got going again in August and September. I had to close the business again at the beginning of October due to level 3 restrictions. I reapplied for the PUP on 05 October and I got this email back a week later:

Because of this, it is not possible to make any payments to you.

I filed my 2019 tax return today and sent my notice of assessment to the email that was quoted in the reply that social welfare sent me -PUPearningscheck.

I have sent a couple of emails and nothing back. I wonder would I be better to put in a new application on Mywelfare.ie or wait to hear back on my query? Thanks

Sandra81 wrote: »
    Hi there, I received the PUP from April to the end of July. I closed out my PUP application as my business got going again in August and September. I had to close the business again at the beginning of October due to level 3 restrictions. I reapplied for the PUP on 05 October and I got this email back a week later:

Because of this, it is not possible to make any payments to you.

I filed my 2019 tax return today and sent my notice of assessment to the email that was quoted in the reply that social welfare sent me -PUPearningscheck.

I have sent a couple of emails and nothing back. I wonder would I be better to put in a new application on Mywelfare.ie or wait to hear back on my query? Thanks

you're not the only one getting these emails, someone else got exactly the same last week...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Vieira82 wrote: »
    you're not the only one getting these emails, someone else got exactly the same last week...

What I can’t ynderstand is if I paid my taxes in august, how can they say they have no record of my paying PRSI

What I can’t ynderstand is if I paid my taxes in august, how can they say they have no record of my paying PRSI

I can't answer that I'm afraid. I just thought in my own case that it was the fact that I hadn't yet filed my 2019 tax return.

After I received this email, I rang the Social Welfare office in Galway and she said to send your notice of assessment to the email address quoted in the email from them. She said that they are currently dealing with August queries and there is a 6 to 8 week backlog. This is why I am wondering are you better to start a new application or wait for weeks in the hope of a reply?

Can someone tell me when pup came out first everyone got €350, then they came out with a rule you had to have over €10,000 Net Pay,

then they said you had to have over €300 net to get €300,

Now there saying the payment is restored , to €350 a Week who had prior earnings ofover €400 a wweek or above, if u earning - €300 - €400 your payment becomes €300, earning between €200-€300 u get €250 etc, well this is were im confused is this money you must earn as Gross or is Nett pay help me out here please

First time poster here. Dempo has given some great advice throughout thread. I might be able to shed some light on the pup refusal because of the points 1 we cannot verify if you were in employment and 2 we cannot determine the rate to pay you. When the form 11 tax return is sent in and a notice of assessment is issued and the balance is paid it could take up to 4 months for the revenue payment to show up on the social welfare system. So if you paid your prsi in August 2020 for 2019 self assesment it might not show up on social welfare system until early 2021. You can request your prsi contribution statement on my welfare and this will show you the contributions paid for each year at each class. I have applied four times since August and i keep getting refused because my prsi had not been updated yet. I was advised to send in my notice of assessment to the covid unemployment appeal explaining this. I have heard no reply as yet.This would not apply if you had prsi paid in 2018 as this would be up on the system early in 2020. I had no prsi paid in 2018 as i was under the threshold. I hope thsi helps bit.

• Advertisement

First time poster here. Dempo has given some great advice throughout thread. I might be able to shed some light on the pup refusal because of the points 1 we cannot verify if you were in employment and 2 we cannot determine the rate to pay you. When the form 11 tax return is sent in and a notice of assessment is issued and the balance is paid it could take up to 4 months for the revenue payment to show up on the social welfare system. So if you paid your prsi in August 2020 for 2019 self assesment it might not show up on social welfare system until early 2021. You can request your prsi contribution statement on my welfare and this will show you the contributions paid for each year at each class. I have applied four times since August and i keep getting refused because my prsi had not been updated yet. I was advised to send in my notice of assessment to the covid unemployment appeal explaining this. I have heard no reply as yet.This would not apply if you had prsi paid in 2018 as this would be up on the system early in 2020. I had no prsi paid in 2018 as i was under the threshold. I hope thsi helps bit.

Thanks for that, sadly I'm more familiar with things non self employed, far more experienced posters on this particular thread, I'm frustrated at not being able to offer more in relation to all those impacted on some pretty shoddy responses from the departments. Just hoping all those impacted re appeals etc get sorted :)

The main issue is that paye workers prsi contributions are updated straight away on the scial welfare system when the payroll is run. The self employed prsi is has to be collected by revenue and then paid over to social welfare. This takes a few months and expained the previous posters getting refused. I agree with you that it is very poor. They have had 7 months now to address this problem. I have had no payments for 10 weeks when i am clearly entitled to it. I have sent all documentation to pup rerate the independent social welfare appeals. I will post as soon as i get a response.

I got my first weekly payment today. Applied 16th sept .
    Got the standard email saying no record of prsi , sent in the relevant info ,
    then I received a payment for €147. Apparently this was an arrears for earlier in the year (had Covid payment til end of June when my business picked up again) and yet they still said I wasn’t going entitled to anything !

Rang the helpline and was told they couldn’t see where it was at, can’t really say how long it would be .. however I did give her the sob story about no money for four weeks, only one wage in the house etc and she told me that she’d follow it up internally and see if she could get it sped up. She told me to apply again in case that went through faster, and to contact my local community welfare officer To see if they could give me a payment in the meantime, who couldn’t help as My husband is in full time work .. might help someone else tho

She must have done something for me tho as I had another email last week..
    Same thing tho , We have no record of prsi . the lady’s name was
    On the email so I mailed her back and told her I had already done that! She said she didn’t realise that and has no access to the database to see and it should
    Be looked at this week .. I emailed her back and said how do I know the right person has the info though to sort it out and can I have a contact name or number to make sure they have what they need and gave her the sob story again. She wrote back and said nothing else I could do, just wait and it shouldn’t be long. Then she emailed me yesterday and said payment would be today and any arrears may be in it but if not then it would follow shortly .. today the money was in my account!! The correct amount!

So I’d say keep persisting , give
    The sob story ,
    If they can ignore you and you’re just a name on the paper they will, make them see you as a real person and appeal to their sympathetic side!

Hope everyone else isn’t waiting too much longer,
    Whole thing is ridiculous!

Oh and did anyone notice ..
    They say they can’t see your revenue contributions but in the same letter it says when you appeal and send in your earnings to make sure it’s accurate as they’ll cross check it with revenue .. well
    Which is it?! Can you see it or not?! You couldn’t make it up!!!

Oh and is anyone applying for the new CRSS PAYMENT , the one which gives you 10% of your weekly income from 2019 as long as you aren’t getting more than 20% of it.. assume we can apply for
    This and the Pup?

murphf wrote: »
    I got my first weekly payment today. Applied 16th sept .
    Got the standard email saying no record of prsi , sent in the relevant info ,
    then I received a payment for €147. Apparently this was an arrears for earlier in the year (had Covid payment til end of June when my business picked up again) and yet they still said I wasn’t going entitled to anything !

Rang the helpline and was told they couldn’t see where it was at, can’t really say how long it would be .. however I did give her the sob story about no money for four weeks, only one wage in the house etc and she told me that she’d follow it up internally and see if she could get it sped up. She told me to apply again in case that went through faster, and to contact my local community welfare officer To see if they could give me a payment in the meantime, who couldn’t help as My husband is in full time work .. might help someone else tho

She must have done something for me tho as I had another email last week..
    Same thing tho , We have no record of prsi . the lady’s name was
    On the email so I mailed her back and told her I had already done that! She said she didn’t realise that and has no access to the database to see and it should
    Be looked at this week .. I emailed her back and said how do I know the right person has the info though to sort it out and can I have a contact name or number to make sure they have what they need and gave her the sob story again. She wrote back and said nothing else I could do, just wait and it shouldn’t be long. Then she emailed me yesterday and said payment would be today and any arrears may be in it but if not then it would follow shortly .. today the money was in my account!! The correct amount!

So I’d say keep persisting , give
    The sob story ,
    If they can ignore you and you’re just a name on the paper they will, make them see you as a real person and appeal to their sympathetic side!

Hope everyone else isn’t waiting too much longer,
    Whole thing is ridiculous!

Oh and did anyone notice ..
    They say they can’t see your revenue contributions but in the same letter it says when you appeal and send in your earnings to make sure it’s accurate as they’ll cross check it with revenue .. well
    Which is it?! Can you see it or not?! You couldn’t make it up!!!

sounds like they are only cross checking if you contact them and send the details. Otherwise they won't do anything.

Vieira82 wrote: »
    sounds like they are only cross checking if you contact them and send the details. Otherwise they won't do anything.
    Yes I think so , keep hassling them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Senature

Apologies if this has been asked before.

I'm self employed and applying for the PUP for the first time.

In the application I will be stating that I am still working casually, part-time as I do still have a small bit of work. You can earn up to €480 self employed income over 4 weeks and still be entitled to the full payment.

I'm concerned how this answer will affect my application. Does anyone know why this question is being asked when they are advising that you can still earn a certain level of self employed income while claiming PUP?

Thanks.

Senature wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been asked before.

I'm self employed and applying for the PUP for the first time.

In the application I will be stating that I am still working casually, part-time as I do still have a small bit of work. You can earn up to €480 self employed income over 4 weeks and still be entitled to the full payment.

I'm concerned how this answer will affect my application. Does anyone know why this question is being asked when they are advising that you can still earn a certain level of self employed income while claiming PUP?

Thanks.

Hi, on reading some updated info regarding the €480 over a four week period, it would seem that's only applicable if you've been on pup for 16 weeks. I've a link below but for the purposes of a new application, I'd personally be cautious about the question you raise. Hope this helps

https://www.gov.ie/en/service/aa618-covid-19-part-time-job-incentive-for-the-self-employed/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Senature

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Hi, on reading some updated info regarding the €480 over a four week period, it would seem that's only applicable if you've been on pup for 16 weeks. I've a link below but for the purposes of a new application, I'd personally be cautious about the question you raise. Hope this helps

https://www.gov.ie/en/service/aa618-covid-19-part-time-job-incentive-for-the-self-employed/

Thanks for the info, I'll check that out

• Advertisement

Senature wrote: »
    Thanks for the info, I'll check that out

No problem, just given the challenges self employed have had with PUP generally just thought it important to point out the details, good luck :)

How long is the back pay taking to come? I’m assuming everyone is getting it backdated to when they applied. Surely it would be Less work for them to pay it when they make The first payment

How long is the back pay taking to come? I’m assuming everyone is getting it backdated to when they applied. Surely it would be Less work for them to pay it when they make The first payment

If life was only that simple, read back on this thread, basically months if it's even being processed at all I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Pickock

My sales collapsed since pandemic so dont get any income. Is the commission that I get on business done before covid recognised as income for pup purpose?

logic? nah! still waiting for a month backpayment since March...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Has anyone actually been able to get through to 1890800024 ??? Three days trying ...

• Advertisement

sharkman wrote: »
    Has anyone actually been able to get through to 1890800024 ??? Three days trying ...
    Yes, I did get through to this number for the income support helpline last week. I tried calling a few days in a row. I was on hold for about half an hour each time and I just gave up but then someone actually answered, I was in shock. I was calling as I had reapplied for the PUP on 05 Oct 20 (after previously receiving it from Apr to Jul before my business got going again in Aug) and I received the usual email about them not having any recent PRSI record for me. I emailed my notice of tax assessment for 2019 to the PUPearningscheck email address. The lady said that they are 4 to 6 weeks behind and that I should get a response soon. I actually got the €203 into my account this week. I thought that I might get the few weeks of arrears but unfortunately not. She did say that arrears will be paid in 2021 but I won't hold my breath!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭dinky earnshaw

For anyone else awaiting a review I've been advised they are currently up to the 13/10/20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Hi all. I am self-employed. Last Day worked was 22/10 and applied for the PUP that evening.
    As it was a Thursday I knew I was too late for that week, so I was expecting my first payment to arrive in my account this morning.
    Nothing arrived so I rang the PUP helpline. After only 15 minutes I got through and the Girl informed me that there was a 'stop' on my claim.
    She says that SIU (Special Investigations Unit) put a stop on my claim on 23/10, and all I can do is email them and query the stop.

I am not particularly concerned about an investigation as I did not work after submitting my Claim (same for last March during the 1st Lock-down).
    Just wondering has anybody else had a similar experience.

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Hi all. I am self-employed. Last Day worked was 22/10 and applied for the PUP that evening.
    As it was a Thursday I knew I was too late for that week, so I was expecting my first payment to arrive in my account this morning.
    Nothing arrived so I rang the PUP helpline. After only 15 minutes I got through and the Girl informed me that there was a 'stop' on my claim.
    She says that SIU (Special Investigations Unit) put a stop on my claim on 23/10, and all I can do is email them and query the stop.

I am not particularly concerned about an investigation as I did not work after submitting my Claim (same for last March during the 1st Lock-down).
    Just wondering has anybody else had a similar experience.

Special investigations unit normally only deal with existing claims so I'm surprised at this, they generally deal with fraudulent claims and normally only after a period of investigation so this is really strange to be honest. If there was an issue with your claim, you'd expect either a decline or more information required so be be honest, I would be quite alarmed at this.

Just an update on my own claim. I received the lower rate payment this morning this was because my prsi class s payment was updated on the my welfare system. This took four weeks from when i submitted my tax return for 2019. This might be of some benefit to other self employed people in this thread either looking for payment approval or a change in rate.
    even if you have submitted your 2019 tax return it could take up to 6 weeks before the prsi payment is updated on social welfare system. I sent a registered letter to the covid unemployment team explaining this with my documentation as i have twelve weeks outstanding payments. I have yet to hear a reply yet but am aware that there is a big issue with back payments so i will wait in hope.

• Advertisement
Advertisement