Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 PUP - Self-Employed only

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭Snow_White1987

ATC110 wrote: »
    I'd prefer if there had've been a blanket reduction to €203 per week in July - it's a generous payment in its own right and much higher than any benefits in the UK.

My issue is being put on a reduced rate despite meeting the income threshold while others remain on the higher rate.

I disagree RE blanket reductions as €203 a week if you've a mortgage and kids is nothing!

UK also offer much more seperate benefits than here so to compare is fruitless – both countries are so different!

They don't say if those on the reduced rate now will stay on this until April?

I take issue with the same as I feel I should be on the higher rate but I'm always grateful to get something at the same time. It's just being self-employed in media means there is little out there work-wise at the moment so the higher rate I could really use for even a few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,021 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I disagree RE blanket reductions as €203 a week if you've a mortgage and kids is nothing!

UK also offer much more seperate benefits than here so to compare is fruitless – both countries are so different!

They don't say if those on the reduced rate now will stay on this until April?

I take issue with the same as I feel I should be on the higher rate but I'm always grateful to get something at the same time. It's just being self-employed in media means there is little out there work-wise at the moment so the higher rate I could really use for even a few weeks.

Completely agree with your disagree, pointless to compare UK with Ireland. I would hope those appealing the reduced rate will see an outcome soon. I assume no news yet? Might be good if you get my meaning. At least its positive the payments will continue

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Completely agree with your disagree, pointless to compare UK with Ireland. I would hope those appealing the reduced rate will see an outcome soon. I assume no news yet? Might be good if you get my meaning. At least its positive the payments will continue

No news yet so that could be good but if I don't hear back before the new rate changes kick in I think I might never hear back as God knows what'll happen then!

No news yet so that could be good but if I don't hear back before the new rate changes kick in I think I might never hear back as God knows what'll happen then!

I wouldn't worry too much, once appeal has been lodged they can't avoid it, obv keep all paperwork, correspondence etc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 pickneary

Can someone explain to me what they mean The top rate of €350 down to €300 will apply to those who earned Over €300 Per week before the pandemic , does that mean Gross or Net pay ?

If a person has 14,000 net pay do they come from 350 to 300?

pickneary wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me what they mean by those who earned Over €300 Per week before the pandemic , does that mean Gross or Net pay ?

To be honest I'm unsure, I'm guessing net but there should be more clarification on this in the coming days, I say net as the PUP is a net payment if I'm making sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭ATC110

That's were I might disagree, to compare UK benefits with Irelands is like apples and Oranges, the UK system offers far more generous universal credit benefits, housing etc.

Not at all - Universal Credit is incomparable to PUP as it's strictly means tested and is not payable if you have savings of over £16000. Apropos housing in ROI, one of the reasons rents are so high is due to the HAP scheme where the welfare-dependant tenant only makes a small contribution.
    €203 is I accept the normal SW rate but let's not forget many are on PUP through no fault of their own, both self employed and directly employed. Many if not all have seen a serious drop in income and I suspect job opportunities are extremely limited and will be for months. Self employment also is extremely challenging as I know companies, individuals etc are very nervous at spending any money outside existing budgets. My own Job is struggling, particularly the business side with companies at a standstill re spending

I agree but my point is having only some recipients on a much lower rate than they should be has created a huge inequity.

To be honest I'm unsure, I'm guessing net but there should be more clarification on this in the coming days, I say net as the PUP is a net payment if I'm making sense

PUP is received as a gross payment with any tax liability deferred until such time as a tax return is submitted then it will be treated the same as any other income; it's not a tax-exempt payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭torrevieja

PUP is received as a gross payment with any tax liability deferred until such time as a tax return is submitted then it will be treated the same as any other income; it's not a tax-exempt payment.

So The top rate of €350 down to €300 will apply to those who earned Over €300 Per week before the pandemic , is Gross Pay ?

If it's not it would mean Ur net would need to be over € 15,000 ?

• Advertisement

torrevieja wrote: »
    So The top rate of €350 down to €300 will apply to those who earned Over €300 Per week before the pandemic , is Gross Pay ?

If it's not it would mean Ur net would need to be over € 15,000 ?

I meant for taxation purposes

I got the news today that, as a self-employed person, I won't be going back on the higher rate. Their reasoning was as follows:

As I've only been self-employed since January 2019, I haven't yet filed my first tax return as a self-employed person for 2019 (though I'm in the process of doing it now).

This naturally means there'd be no self-employment tax return for me for 2018 as I was an employee.

And as I've not filed my 2019 tax return yet, which would tell Revenue I'm officially self-employed, they still identify me as an employee on record (and also because those are the last statements they have on me there). So now, because they think I'm still an employee and there's nothing on record for me for January and February of this year in terms of any earnings (there wouldn't be, as I'm self-employed!) my income is defined as NIL and I get the lower payment.

I also have NIL self-employment earnings for 2018 as I was an employee then too, so again, the lower rate is what I get put on.

So, in short, any newly self-employed will automatically lose out which is very disappointing.

Snow_White1987, how were you contacted?

I've checked on MyWelfare but no new messages

Snow_White1987, how were you contacted?

I've checked on MyWelfare but no new messages

They sent me an email at 4pm today!

It looks like they have staff working weekends to try and sort out the backlog...

I got the news today that, as a self-employed person, I won't be going back on the higher rate. Their reasoning was as follows:

As I've only been self-employed since January 2019, I haven't yet filed my first tax return as a self-employed person for 2019 (though I'm in the process of doing it now).

This naturally means there'd be no self-employment tax return for me for 2018 as I was an employee.

And as I've not filed my 2019 tax return yet, which would tell Revenue I'm officially self-employed, they still identify me as an employee on record (and also because those are the last statements they have on me there). So now, because they think I'm still an employee and there's nothing on record for me for January and February of this year in terms of any earnings (there wouldn't be, as I'm self-employed!) my income is defined as NIL and I get the lower payment.

I also have NIL self-employment earnings for 2018 as I was an employee then too, so again, the lower rate is what I get put on.

So, in short, any newly self-employed will automatically lose out which is very disappointing.

So sorry to hear this, very disappointing and no doubt frustrating, particularly after all the information you submitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭HereinBray

They sent me an email at 4pm today!

It looks like they have staff working weekends to try and sort out the backlog...

Wow - that's good to hear - hopefully the backlog will be cleared soon.

Sorry to hear that you're not getting the higher payment. It's a pain - but at least you have a better idea of how you're fixed.

Did they mention anything about back payments? And when you would actually get paid?

Thanks so much for sharing the info - you're very good.

HIB

• Advertisement

So sorry to hear this, very disappointing and no doubt frustrating, particularly after all the information you submitted.

Ah thank you. It's disappointing as it seems the self-employed frequently lose out when it comes to these things but I'm exetremly grateful to get even the 203 per week for a bit longer – it all helps!

Ah thank you. It's disappointing as it seems the self-employed frequently lose out when it comes to these things but I'm exetremly grateful to get even the 203 per week for a bit longer – it all helps!

Keep the faith, hopefully things will improve generally in the coming weeks, months :)

HereinBray wrote: »
    Wow - that's good to hear - hopefully the backlog will be cleared soon.

Sorry to hear that you're not getting the higher payment. It's a pain - but at least you have a better idea of how you're fixed.

Did they mention anything about back payments? And when you would actually get paid?

Thanks so much for sharing the info - you're very good.

HIB

They mentioned nothing about back payments (apart from a week I'm owed at the beginning of April I wouldn't be in receipt of any others) but, sadly, I don't imagine any back payments will realistically be sorted until closer to the PUP being finished – at least, that's what I was told on the PUP helpline.

Especially as they'll have three more sets of rate cuts to get through once September hits under the new PUP regulations! I assume they are trying to hurry the self-employed backlog along so all that doesn't overlap as it'll get very messy.

I would love to know if those on the €203 will stay on that for the forseeable though? That's what they don't say, there's only different rates announced if you're on the €350...

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭64869923

They mentioned nothing about back payments (apart from a week I'm owed at the beginning of April I wouldn't be in receipt of any others) but, sadly, I don't imagine any back payments will realistically be sorted until closer to the PUP being finished – at least, that's what I was told on the PUP helpline.

Especially as they'll have three more sets of rate cuts to get through once September hits under the new PUP regulations! I assume they are trying to hurry the self-employed backlog along so all that doesn't overlap as it'll get very messy.

I would love to know if those on the €203 will stay on that for the forseeable though? That's what they don't say, there's only different rates announced if you're on the €350...

Sorry to hear that.

Based on the seriousness of the situation I believe that they will let people on the lower payment remain as they are, moving them to a social welfare payment would balloon the unemployment statistics and many would end up being casualties of this situation and become long-term unemployed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 amd1982

Has anybody heard of or had a successful appeal yet ? Still no reply to emails here

• Advertisement

amd1982 wrote: »
    Has anybody heard of or had a successful appeal yet ? Still no reply to emails here

Not a peep - and I sent in my 2018 evidence 3 weeks ago today. I've sent a couple of reminders - and got one auto response on the 16th.

Thanks

HIB

Not a peep - and I sent in my 2018 evidence 3 weeks ago today. I've sent a couple of reminders - and got one auto response on the 16th.

Thanks

HIB

Same, mine went in on Friday 3rd.

I heard back but it was a no!

I don't know anyone who actually received a successful appeal yet.

I heard back but it was a no!

I don't know anyone who actually received a successful appeal yet.

So sorry to hear that after all the waiting

I appealed by registered post on 2nd July. No reply yet

I appealed by registered post on 2nd July. No reply yet

Hopefully we hear soon it’s ridiculous at this stage helpline haven’t a clue either don’t know what it’s there at all

Hopefully we hear soon it’s ridiculous at this stage helpline haven’t a clue either don’t know what it’s there at all

Following another thread, a poster just said they applied for PUP early June, just got approved from the date applied, only one week payment though , seems the back dated issue is still not resolved even for new claimants, it's shocking

So sorry to hear that after all the waiting

Thanks, I wasn't too surprised.

They needed a self-employed tax return for 2018 and, as I only became self-employed in 2019, I automatically lost out (as will all newly self-employed!).

It seems unfair but they seem to be targeting those on PUP/self-employed which we know know is true from what's been reported in the news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭mystic

Thanks, I wasn't too surprised.

They needed a self-employed tax return for 2018 and, as I only became self-employed in 2019, I automatically lost out (as will all newly self-employed!).

It seems unfair but they seem to be targeting those on PUP/self-employed which we know know is true from what's been reported in the news.

I was watching the Minister (Heather Humphreys) in the second stage debate earlier tonight. She said the Department would accept 2019 tax returns for self-employed people instead of 2018 if 2019 was more favourable.

It was in part when she was addressing the concerns of opposition TDs. It will be online.

Hope this helps

mystic wrote: »
    I was watching the Minister (Heather Humphreys) in the second stage debate earlier tonight. She said the Department would accept 2019 tax returns for self-employed people instead of 2018 if 2019 was more favourable.

It was in part when she was addressing the concerns of opposition TDs. It will be online.

Hope this helps

Found a link. https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/2020-07-28/43/
    Scroll to the end

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Latest update.

Called the helpline - they could see that my application had been disallowed on the 30th of June with no further updates on my account. Even though I had sent of proof of payment etc - and that my S contributions were fully visible.

The (very nice and helpful) person on the phone suggested that I submit my application again. She took the time to make sure that I was going to the correct place on the website etc. She also suggested calling again on Friday to make sure that everything looked ok.

So - anyone who is still waiting for their initial payment - I would suggest giving them a buzz on Phone: 1890 800 024. No harm.

Best of luck

HIB

Hi all,

Latest update.

Called the helpline - they could see that my application had been disallowed on the 30th of June with no further updates on my account. Even though I had sent of proof of payment etc - and that my S contributions were fully visible.

The (very nice and helpful) person on the phone suggested that I submit my application again. She took the time to make sure that I was going to the correct place on the website etc. She also suggested calling again on Friday to make sure that everything looked ok.

So - anyone who is still waiting for their initial payment - I would suggest giving them a buzz on Phone: 1890 800 024. No harm.

Best of luck

HIB

(Yet) Another update

Just got a response to my mail sending off my PRSI payment backup (July 7th) stating that my claim has been awarded and I'll get paid next week. (Happy Dance)

I've asked the question about back payments and will update as I hear.

Thanks and good luck everyone

HIB

(Yet) Another update

Just got a response to my mail sending off my PRSI payment backup (July 7th) stating that my claim has been awarded and I'll get paid next week. (Happy Dance)

HIB

Delighted for you, well done :)

More good news, government getting a kicking over targeting PUP recepients at airports, good day all round

(Yet) Another update

HIB

Me again - they don't have a date when arrears will be paid - but they are showing on the system - so once they have the date they will be paid.

Thanks guys.

HIB

Delighted for you, well done :)

More good news, government getting a kicking over targeting PUP recepients at airports, good day all round

This is great news!

Did you get awarded the higher amount?

Me again - they don't have a date when arrears will be paid - but they are showing on the system - so once they have the date they will be paid.

Thanks guys.

HIB

Is this arrears for the PUP rate change or general PUP arrears?

Hope this helps

Thanks so much, but given that it took them a month to get back to me, I’m not sure it’s worth re-submitting it is worth the hassle. I read they’ll be looking at all PUP claims again in September anyhow to try and save millions of euro!

I can’t help but feel being on the PUP from now will just cause issues, given what’s in the news of late.

I’m filing my 2019 tax in the next couple of weeks anyhow (my accountant is working on it now), just to have it done so that I’m not caught out with tax again!

This is great news!

Did you get awarded the higher amount?

They didn't say - I'll let you know when it hits the bank account (fingers crossed!)

Is this arrears for the PUP rate change or general PUP arrears?

For me - it's the general arrears - I haven't received anything at all yet.

• Advertisement

(Yet) Another update

HIB

Happy days! Hopefully you get the back money quick enough.

Received a written reply today, postmarked Waterford, to my request for a review of the weekly rate.

The outcome of the review is I will remain on the lower rate.

It explicitly states "under PUP rating rules, self-employed incomes can only be examined in respect of the 2018 year and the income figures used by the Department for PUP (and all other schemes) is always the figure after capital allowances and deductible business expenses".

There is no return address on the letter and it's signed the "PUP Rerate Team".

There is also no invitation to submit 2019 tax return details.

Has anyone had a similar letter or have they been invited to submit 2019 details?

Received a written reply today, postmarked Waterford, to my request for a review of the weekly rate.

It explicitly states "under PUP rating rules, self-employed incomes can only be examined in respect of the 2018 year and the income figures used by the Department for PUP (and all other schemes) is always the figure after capital allowances and deductible business expenses".

Has anyone had a similar letter or have they been invited to submit 2019 details?

As far as I know, permitting 2019 returns is only being considered by government, there's been no decision on this.

As far as I know, permitting 2019 returns is only being considered by government, there's been no decision on this.
    That's not what the Minister said in the Dáil debate on Tuesday. Perhaps the letter was written before the Minister spoke. It's quite possible the relevant sections haven't been informed of the changes yet.

That's not what the Minister said in the Dáil debate on Tuesday. Perhaps the letter was written before the Minister spoke. It's quite possible the relevant sections haven't been informed of the changes yet.

You'll need to confirm this but this is only being considered but not agreed on or finalised, if there's something I've missed, apologies but I'm pretty sure nothing has changed.

Just went through all uodates on the website, updated 27 July & 30 July, no changes re 2018

Sorry to hear that. I have an idea how you feel, my start up costs for 2018 were monstrous. The money still has to be earned even if it is tax deductible and it's grossly unfair that it isn't included.

I'll tell ya, I actually considered applying for jobs today. It's a funny one, a job feels secure and you are paid on a regular basis but it isn't much more secure than being self-employed. The only real difference in terms of security is the pain the self-employed go through developing their business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Frostybrew

If this is the case, then it should work both ways. Any self employed person should be able to continue receiving the PUP while working, until the amount of their capital allowances and expenses has been reached.

You'll need to confirm this but this is only being considered but not agreed on or finalised, if there's something I've missed, apologies but I'm pretty sure nothing has changed.

Just went through all uodates on the website, updated 27 July & 30 July, no changes re 2018

There's an update.
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/c4828-self-employed-and-the-pandemic-unemployment-payment/

It doesn't mention whether the increased payment would be backdated or not

(Yet) Another update

HIB

The plot thickens!

Got a refusal email from the second application I made yesterday - no record of PRSI etc etc. When I log into my Welfare I can only see the disallowed claim.

This is nuts. I've mailed the person who advised that my original claim was allowed.

Have a nice long weekend!

HIB

The plot thickens!

Got a refusal email from the second application I made yesterday - no record of PRSI etc etc. When I log into my Welfare I can only see the disallowed claim.

This is nuts. I've mailed the person who advised that my original claim was allowed.

Have a nice long weekend!

HIB

Confused, approved and then disallowed??

• Advertisement
Advertisement