Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad kids from good parents

Options
  • 12-05-2021 2:33pm
    Site Banned Posts: 4

We've seen the stories in the media about teens assaulting people and most are saying it's bad parenting causing bad behavior.

What about good parents who still have kids that end up like ****s? Have you ever heard of a story like that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Never.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,560 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

This report says the school a kid goes to has more influence on a kid than where they’re from.

“Schools are more important than neighbourhoods in influencing adolescent behaviour, an Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI) study has found.

It shows that, overall, most 17-year-olds have no behavioural difficulties and few consistently “act out” at home, in school or in the community.

Where there are issues such as antisocial or school-based misbehaviour, they are more common among young men.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/teen-behaviour-more-influenced-by-schools-than-localities-study-finds-1.4563050?mode=amp

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

hezarkani wrote: »
    We've seen the stories in the media about teens assaulting people and most are saying it's bad parenting causing bad behavior.

What about good parents who still have kids that end up like ****s? Have you ever heard of a story like that?

Tell me more about your experience of this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There are cases like that of course. There are people born with congenital neurological issues, or issues that are acquired during childhood. They've found a very strong correlation, for example, in people who've committed multiple murders and are prone to violent crime; they've often suffered some level of serious brain injury as a child.

But they're few and far between.

The kind of stuff we're seeing in Malahide, is several levels above "bad parenting", it's a complete lack of parenting at all, the kids have been lacking any form of role model or personal support since they could walk. As a result they end up latching onto eachother and developing a complete lack of empathy or consideration for the rest of society.

Fining or locking up "bad parents", as many often cite is the way forward, would have precisely fvck all effect. All you'd end up doing is turning a bad, but loving parent, into a completely absent one.

It's a social failure, and one that needs to be overhauled both by intervening at a much younger age and being more supportive rather than punitive of these kids when they first land in the criminal justice system.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Perceptions of “Good” and “Bad” are subjective.
    There is a reason for most actions even if it might seem bizarre to an outsider.

On first sight you’d think I’m the bad one in the family. If you were to take a second look you’d notice that I’m nothing like the rest of them. Perspective..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Some are just evil, a lot of its down to showing off or doing it with the gang etc....

Monkey see, monkey do ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Me. I’m bad to the bone.

Can’t think of anyone really, most fook ups had dodgy beginnings, some extreme examples would be your Bundy’s, your Ramirez’s, your Hitler’s etc. all had absent/useless/abusive fathers.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

Plenty of times but the Parents are in denial and claim their little Darlings wouldn't or couldn't be like that.

Take the students in Limerick Years back that was throwing a ball on to a main road to get a Jack Russell to follow it with the intention of getting the Dog knocked down and killed, which happened, some of those were under 18.

Take the Brian Murphy case, they were young and "well to do". I'd bet they weren't decent growing up.

I got working with some local kids some time back. I made a few posts about the "Jedi School" I setup teaching them to be actual Jedi where possible - and close substitutes where not possible.

The kids I was doing it with/for were in a really bad way. The kind who would physically accost and terrorise innocent little old grannies who were struggling to even carry their shopping home.

The "role model" and guidance effect of the Jedi school has turned them around. During this time I met their parents. Some more often than others.

And the parents for me were a mix. The worst set really seemed to not care one jot for the outcomes of their child. And all but said so. It was like the "teacher / parent" scene in the movie/book "Matilda". The only thing that seemed to annoy them more than the idea they should be caring for their own child - is the seeming personal slight they took that anyone else such as me, might do so in their stead.

Another set however were clearly just out of their depth. Not just in parenting but in their entire life. Struggling to make ends meet left them with little to no parenting time and bugger all ability to produce good food at home. So it was fast food - TV Dinners - and little to no parenting. And it just slowly went out of hand. They were the loveliest people I had met in quite awhile. They were just lost.

It seems to me that there are certain things that a child needs for a healthy and emotionally stable upbringing. And parents who are bad people and parents who are good people are equally capable of providing them - or failing to.

It reminds me of the "same sex parenting" debates. If you could call them debates given how little the anti side had to offer. In the end it seems that it does not matter who is doing the parenting - but what that parenting provides the child. Who the actual parents are is often incidental at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Take the Brian Murphy case, they were young and "well to do". I'd bet they weren't decent growing up.
    Any young man can find themselves in a fight and unlucky enough that someone comes out of it very badly.

But it says a lot that only one young man's parents did the right thing and went to the Garda station. The other 3 went and got legal advice to keep their mouths shut and literally got away with murder.

That tells you everything you need to know about the parents of those 3 boys; wealthy or not, their parents are cvnts too; bad parents who raised cvnts.

• Advertisement

Of course there are OP.
    Huge amount of kids from 'good parents' do bad things.
    But good people do bad things everywhere, so called 'bad people ' also do good things.

It's not always the parents fault.
    One thing is true though, the 'better' the family background, the more likely the parents will try to get their child off, or pay someone off so there's no prosecution. Might use their sway with some of their golfing buddies etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I got working with some local kids some time back. I made a few posts about the "Jedi School" I setup teaching them to be actual Jedi where possible - and close substitutes where not possible.

Hope it ended with a blood bath, Anakin

Jequ0n wrote: »
    Hope it ended with a blood bath, Anakin

Not yet. There is still time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I have an uncle who is a conman and criminal. He's the reason why I realised the phrase 'blood is thicker than water' is bullshit. He's an awful, awful person and as far as I'm concerned, we're not related. He comes from a law-abiding family. All his siblings are productive members of society as were my grandparents. He had the same upbringing as his siblings so his behaviour can't be blamed on his childhood.

So yeah, some people are just bad to the bone and there's not much you can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Meaningless.

What is a 'bad' kid.

What is a 'good' parent.

Nonsense. The world isnt black and white like this.

Also - why is it that these provocative After Hours and Current / IMHO threads, these so-called debates, are so often started by someone who has single digit posts.

Give me a break......really boards, can you get on top of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

This report says the school a kid goes to has more influence on a kid than where they’re from.

“Schools are more important than neighbourhoods in influencing adolescent behaviour, an Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI) study has found.

It shows that, overall, most 17-year-olds have no behavioural difficulties and few consistently “act out” at home, in school or in the community.

Where there are issues such as antisocial or school-based misbehaviour, they are more common among young men.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/teen-behaviour-more-influenced-by-schools-than-localities-study-finds-1.4563050?mode=amp

This has always been the case but generally unaccepted, it’s mostly rejected because parents shudder to think that little Jimmy could do something horrific, and take misguided comfort in thinking that once they are in control with parenting then no other outside influences will have any impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Of course, why would you think otherwise?

They could have disorders that aren't always visible, could be extreme immaturity, poor choice of friends although I do believe everyone chooses who to surround themselves with.

24-hour news access, social media have given people some peculiar notions.

The vast majority of people every those with not great parents grow up perfectly normal they get a job go to college or want even, they don't engage in criminal behaviour, they dont have mental health issues or anxiety, they have friends, they live an ordinary unremarkable life but that is not newsworthy

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Also - why is it that these provocative After Hours and Current / IMHO threads, these so-called debates, are so often started by someone who has single digit posts.

Seems to have touched a nerve Tombo? Would you like to talk about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Meaningless.

What is a 'bad' kid.

What is a 'good' parent.

Nonsense. The world isnt black and white like this.

Yeah, it's completely possible to be a good person, but a bad parent. Bad parenting isn't necessarily the explicit things we think of like neglect or abuse. Simple using the wrong parental tactics can be enough to send a child down a bad road.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Advertisement

Get on top of it? I wonder with how much confidence any user can say that it is not them producing it? :) Many other social media platforms make their traffic and money from amplifying disparity of opinion. Can anyone point to any social media platform and confidently assume they are _not_ doing the same? I am certainly open minded on the question.

I tend not to care. I just drop into the threads on topics I feel I either care about - know something about - or both.

begbysback wrote: »
    Seems to have touched a nerve Tombo? Would you like to talk about it?

Yeah I would.

It just makes me wonder whats going on with some of these threads, if there is something bigger going on in the background.

TomTomTim wrote: »
    Yeah, it's completely possible to be a good person, but a bad parent. Bad parenting isn't necessarily the explicit things we think of like neglect or abuse. Simple using the wrong parental tactics can be enough to send a child down a bad road.

Always think its gas how many people think they are experts on parenting.....

Bit like driving: 90% of parents think they are better than the average parent.

Get on top of it? I wonder with how much confidence any user can say that it is not them producing it? :) Many other social media platforms make their traffic and money from amplifying disparity of opinion. Can anyone point to any social media platform and confidently assume they are _not_ doing the same? I am certainly open minded on the question.

I tend not to care. I just drop into the threads on topics I feel I either care about - know something about - or both.

Fair point.

Yeah I would.

It just makes me wonder whats going on with some of these threads, if there is something bigger going on in the background.

What, like God is starting threads?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

They're probably ashamed of them

• Registered Users Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Honestly I think you've all lived sheltered lives the way you go on about bad parenting being the main cause of general scumbaggery. There's a culture of being a mad bastard tough kid in Dublin/Ireland, being fearless, starting fights etc. You can get these types coming from good families. Everyone also says to deduct their parents welfare, I know pretty much everyone works in the estate I live in but there are still teenagers hanging around getting up to no good.
    My parents couldn't have been better and me and my brother still got up to all kinds of mischief, some kids just go too far.

branie2 wrote: »
    They're probably ashamed of them

Some of the time what we would described to ourselves or to others as being ashamed of some other person - is actually us being ashamed of ourselves.

I wonder how many of those people would even be able to tell the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,056 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Always think its gas how many people think they are experts on parenting.....

Bit like driving: 90% of parents think they are better than the average parent.

Not to mention the amount of people who suddenly somehow seem to know a lot about what type of parenting goes on behind entire townfuls of closed doors.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

hezarkani wrote: »

Have seen plenty of cases locally, probably the one that sticks out is the son of a local family where the parents were both GPs, the daughter was a solicitor and the other son an accountant. The black sheep used to rob prescription drugs from the parents and just generally cause absolute mayhem around town. Robbing people and places, assaulting people etc. He got given about 50 slaps on the wrist before something was finally done and he spent a bit of time in prison. The parents are lovely and so are the other children in the family. This guy just had serious issues. The family more or less disowned him when he was 19 or 20. Dunno what he’s up to now, he hasn’t been around in a couple of years. He was given every opportunity by his parents - privately educated (before being thrown out), set up with good jobs locally but didn’t want to know about it.

Another family had a son up on a murder charge but somehow he was found not guilty despite bragging about what he was going to do to the guy that was murdered some weeks before it happened. This fellas dad in particular is one of the nicest men you could ever meet. He had a nervous breakdown after the murder trial and has never fully recovered.

Advertisement