Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Rugby 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

hahashake wrote: »
    Is Whetton wearing his Highlanders mouthgard?

Jack Whetton? Who is he playing for now?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭hahashake

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Jack Whetton? Who is he playing for now?

Tahs, and his starting partner was Sam Caird. Guess when all your 2nd rows have gone are overseas you need to import some.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭PMC83

Kearney looking like the best player on pitch for Western Force. Rest of those lads needs to put some glue on their hands, Dropping balls like their going out of fashion.

PMC83 wrote: »
    Kearney looking like the best player on pitch for Western Force. Rest of those lads needs to put some glue on their hands, Dropping balls like their going out of fashion.

Jono Lance is no way near good enough for this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Leinstertomas

Only been able to half watch this. Are teams adapting to 50/22 rules by dropping an extra player back in defence?
    I quite like the rule in theory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭PMC83

Jono Lance is no way near good enough for this level.

Unfortunately a lot of the team look a bit rough. Impressive stadium and turn out though, looks like a great atmosphere

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Highlights of Reds vs Waratahs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xALY64YUcPI

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Happyhouse22

Watched the Force Brumbies game - good entertainment. Kearney had a decent game with one amazing kick.

Rules question - at the end of the game Force won a penalty in their own half when the clock in the red, they kicked for touch but the kick was a cm or two short and the Brumbies players git fingertips to it. The ball went out anyway and it normal circumstances the game would restart with a line out.

However as the game was in additional time should the game not have finished at this point? I thought the “John Muldoon “ rule brought in a few years ago was specifically for instances when the ball was kicked directly to touch.

Maybe they judged the player getting his fingers to it was in touch or something, which would mean the kick had technically gone directly to touch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Highlights of Force vs Brumbies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAP4oqplNyw

• Subscribers Posts: 41,078 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Watched the Force Brumbies game - good entertainment. Kearney had a decent game with one amazing kick.

Rules question - at the end of the game Force won a penalty in their own half when the clock in the red, they kicked for touch but the kick was a cm or two short and the Brumbies players git fingertips to it. The ball went out anyway and it normal circumstances the game would restart with a line out.

However as the game was in additional time should the game not have finished at this point? I thought the “John Muldoon “ rule brought in a few years ago was specifically for instances when the ball was kicked directly to touch.

Maybe they judged the player getting his fingers to it was in touch or something, which would mean the kick had technically gone directly to touch
    7. A half ends when the ball becomes dead after time has expired unless:
    a. A scrum, lineout or restart kick following a try or touchdown, awarded
    before time expired, has not been completed and the ball has not
    returned to open play. This includes when the scrum, lineout or restart
    kick is taken incorrectly.
    b. The referee awards a free-kick or penalty.
    c. A penalty is kicked directly to touch without the ball first being tapped
    and without the ball touching another player.

now im not sure of the exact circumstances....
    but if the ref determined that the touch from the player wasn't "in play" therefore its immaterial and the penalty went direct to touch and law 65.7.c above applies.

• Advertisement

Preseason highlights: Highlanders v Hurricanes:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqQIBmpYCow

They changed the alternate kit this year to avoid clashes yet played in last years kit for a preseason game? Very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭swiwi_

I’m a tad surprised no broadcast deal reached. With rugby a bit in hiatus here in the NH, I would have thought super rugby with actual crowds would have found a buyer. Must admit I’m looking forward to watching a bit.

Preseason highlights: Highlanders v Hurricanes:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqQIBmpYCow

They changed the alternate kit this year to avoid clashes yet played in last years kit for a preseason game? Very odd.

cheers

nice showing by some of our younger lads

folau fakatava in line for 'worst haircut ever' award along with LRZ

Game of three halves highlights (Blues, Chiefs & Crusaders preseason game):
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=sU-gG2-dRdI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

Probably deserves a thread of its own, but the GOAT Dan Carter has officially retired today at the age of 38.
    In the words of the great Daire O'Brien "go easy"

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-20/new-zealand-all-black-great-dan-carter-retires-from-rugby-union/13175632

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

I have a feeling he will keep a pair of boots by the back door just in case his old club is short on a weekend. He doesn't appear the type of person that is going to let his body nor mind go to ruin and he would be well able for quality rugby for a lot longer.

There can be debates about greatest of all time but his résumé is hard to beat:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Carter#Honours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

Highlights of Reds vs Waratahs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xALY64YUcPI

that kid loves his cucumber

sydthebeat wrote: »
    cheers

nice showing by some of our younger lads

folau fakatava in line for 'worst haircut ever' award along with LRZ

Fakatava might be the second best 9 in NZ now TJP is in Japan, which gives the Highlanders #1 and #2. He will be capped this year I'm sure of it. Also possibly Xavier Roe at the Chiefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Fakatava might be the second best 9 in NZ now TJP is in Japan, which gives the Highlanders #1 and #2. He will be capped this year I'm sure of it. Also possibly Xavier Roe at the Chiefs.

Yep, really like both of them. Not sure Fakatava will be capped yet given that he's had so few chances to impress so far. Playing behind Aaron Smith must require a lot of patience, he's been fantastic for so long.

• Advertisement

What's happened to TTT? Is he still at the Chiefs? I was quite impressed by the little ginger at the Blues last year. Don't think he's test level but if he keeps improving then maybe.

What's happened to TTT? Is he still at the Chiefs? I was quite impressed by the little ginger at the Blues last year. Don't think he's test level but if he keeps improving then maybe.

The Scottish lad?

Edit : finlay Christie (had to check the first page)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,608 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Finlay Christie? He could probably get a few caps for Scotland, he'd definitely be better than Scott Steele anyways. Dunno if he'd ever get a chance at an AB jersey at 25 but who knows.

Finlay Christie!! That's the one. I was thinking something Finlay. And was too lazy to look it up. New he was from Scotland but didn't realise he was that old.

I suppose Brad Weber is still there. It will be interesting to see who gets the Chiefs starting 9 jersey between him and TTT. There was a lot of hype about triple T back in 2018 but he appears to dropped down the pecking order. I assume Bryn Hall is still first choice at the Crusaders but does anyone know if they've got any hot young prospects? Who is going to be the starter at the Canes?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

What TV channel(s) is/are covering these games live? I can't find details online.

p.s. I know Sky Sports etc. don't have coverage.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116332524&postcount=37

this is the current situation

no sign yet of that changing

Keep an eye on RugbyPass, have heard some murmurings.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Leinstertomas

Eu8ryC7VIAEMlg9?format=jpg&name=small

Great to see Jack Regan get the start!!

Surprised to see hunt ahead of ioane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭swiwi_

First season with the Crusaders new branding: the name survived, but the logo is different. The Horsemen in mediaeval garb have gone, replaced by horsemen in the colours of the NPC feeder unions. Not sure about Vangelis' "Conquest of Paradise" theme.

I get the tenuous link between Middle Ages religious crusades against equally bloodthirsty adversaries and an Australian nutter carrying out a reprehensible terrorist attack...but it's still a shame. The Crusaders had the best branding of the 5 franchises, and if you were a young kid, a packed out stadium, the Vangelis tune, horses in full crusading regalia and a generally successful team was a pretty winning formula. Would have been even more impressive inside the new enclosed stadium. Oh well, not to be.

Advertisement