Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The way forward for LC2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

Is it a very niche subject you are teaching? Normally you'd get a few people in your subject association with experience correcting. I'd also recommend correcting one year for your own sake, it will give you a much better grounding.

I’ve only had juniors up to recently so LC correcting wasn’t on my radar. I do know that applying to correct my subject you have to start with Junior cert and work up and don’t get leaving for a few years so not sure if that appeals to me currently.

I’ve found that for a 3rd subject I got a class of recently no one wants to help you figure out the marking scheme. If you look up the junior cert religion papers it gives very little for inexperienced teachers to go on. I was giving the class I inherited last November questions from the papers and had no idea if I was going in right direction when correcting and marking them. I posted on the subject assoc notice board online if anyone could give some direction and no one answered.
    Thankfully they’re not sitting exam this year now!

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I'm just a wee bit anxious about the whole thing.
    JC and LC. Guess work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Does anyone know when teachers will get the levels from the portal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Choochtown

... and remember if you guess a student a H2 and they sit the exam and get a H6 the Department will not use that H6 to mark down your "predicted" grade ...

... yeah sure!

Choochtown wrote: »
    ... and remember if you guess a student a H2 and they sit the exam and get a H6 the Department will not use that H6 to mark down your "predicted" grade ...

... yeah sure!

Can you elaborate? I presume the grades we give are changeable by the Department anyway? Am I wrong?
    You'd be a fool though to believe anything they say but what is their current version of the truth?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,738 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

... yeah sure!

That wont be allowed.

But.... If a student only takes the grade and not sit the exam, they are more likely to be downgraded.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

So will our accredited grades be touched?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

... yeah sure!

No way that will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭feedthegoat

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    Does anyone know when teachers will get the levels from the portal?

Levels arrived in schools today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

... yeah sure!

Oh FFS.

c51471f439c63ef3026063a42a4d5cc1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Random sample

Bobtheman wrote: »
    So will our accredited grades be touched?

Yes, in relation to the curve and the national average. Not in relation to the written exam results of a student.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Treppen

Yes, in relation to the curve and the national average. Not in relation to the written exam results of a student.

Do you know the timeline as to when the adjustment of accredited grades by the SEC will finish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Has anyone heard back about correcting? I applied this year after a break of 4 years but I didn't hear back. Can I assume at this stage that I won't? And yes I know I can contact the SEC directly to enquire, I just can't remember when you usually get confirmation.
    I got mine last early last week, I think. Possibly the week before. I seem to be in a minority here though.

I stayed away from this thread as I still find the whole thing farcical. Accredited grades. I have never corrected LC exams. But yet I'm to come up with a grade for a new exam format?
    I also assume a bell curve will operate?.
    So if I think Johnny average will get between. 60 - 70 in the new exam - do I inflate to guard against their possible deflation?
    Kids can surprise you on the day. Plus the lowering of standards can surprise you on the day.
    Do whatever you feel you can live with. This process is nonsense and shouldn't be respected. Personally, I "insulated" against my students being brought down last year, and I almost certainly will again.

Teach30 wrote: »
    I have never marked LC and do my best to grade accurately however I will say that despite following a pre- paper marking scheme for one assessment I was still unsure if students were giving enough information for answers as the scheme only give bullet points and key words they should use. I definitely found myself giving students marks despite being unsure if they would get them, I couldn’t be listening to them complain.
    I’m not the only one doing this!

Heard also of colleagues being asked to give a grade for work done on a project submitted in 5th year and they have no record of what students would have got as they are sent off to be corrected, so giving them all top marks for it. Madness.
    This is why this whole process is farcical. You're far from the minority. Most teachers have never marked a state exam, or haven't done so in years. Most of those in the first group assume they know how to do it, because everyone assumes they know how to do it, until they find out otherwise.

Anyone who marks regularly will tell you that there are those who are good at it, those who are not, and those in between. In spite of this fact (and it is a fact), everyone's opinion on their students' marks is valued equally. Of course, it has to be that way, because there's no way to tell who's doing it properly and who's not, but we saw from the massive grade inflation last year that most are probably not.

My advice to you is don't worry about it. Do it to the best of your ability, which probably means that you're not going to do it that well. At least you know that. Most people who aren't doing it that well assume they're doing a great job.

I'm primary but I think you need to be more professional in your approach. Give them the grade that they deserve, not one to give you an easy live and appease students and parents.
    They don't know what the grade they deserve is. None of us do. Even most experienced examiners wouldn't be able accurately decide if a student would get 78 or 80, for example. They'd have a fair idea of the grade, sure, but even then, you're talking about "she'd probably get a H2 or a H3", not "she'd definitely get 79%."

At risk of being annoying but interviewers and the aide haven’t been paid yet for the orals in our school. Has there been definitive payment documents released for this?

I called and was told last Tuesday that they’d be out by Wednesday or Thursday

I'd also recommend correcting one year for your own sake, it will give you a much better grounding.
    Absolutely this.
    You don't know what it's like if you haven't done it, contrary to what most people seem to think.

... yeah sure!
    A lot of people scoffing at this, but it would be incredibly naive to think it won't be a factor at all. You would hope it will. It would make the whole think more accurate overall. It might still penalise individual students, of course, but this would be a positive thing, not unlike using schools' past performance (which should also be happening).

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DubLad69

At risk of being annoying but interviewers and the aide haven’t been paid yet for the orals in our school. Has there been definitive payment documents released for this?

Yes, payment forms have been released for both and are on the schools section of examinations.ie

I would suspect that most schools will make the payments for both after all of the exams are completed.

• Advertisement

DubLad69 wrote: »
    Yes, payment forms have been released for both and are on the schools section of examinations.ie

I would suspect that most schools will make the payments for both after all of the exams are completed.

Much appreciated.

Treppen wrote: »
    Do you know the timeline as to when the adjustment of accredited grades by the SEC will finish?

No. I don’t even know if they have procured an algorithm yet.

Interviewers have all been paid in my school. No idea about the aide, but she’s doing lcvp too, so I don’t know if she’ll get all in one go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭pandoraj09

Someone posted on the Voice for teachers page that the DES replied to her email re payment for interviewers and aides and stated that no payments would be made until the LC was over. I do know of some schools that have paid teachers already though. Its a joke. I did the Irish interviews on March 27th and won't be paid until July or more likely August.

Interviewers have all been paid in my school. No idea about the aide, but she’s doing lcvp too, so I don’t know if she’ll get all in one go.

Your school has obviously paid out their own pocket then? It’s a bit all over the place re pay. A lot of interviewers not happy as far as I can see.

As an aside, how can I determine how many centres I will need for the leaving cert exams? Or will the department provide guidance on that? I’ve not done exam secretary before. All help appreciated.

If I give a student 80 and he gets 64 in the exam - will the department then drag my accredited grade down??
    At what stage is the accredited grade finalised??

If I give a student 80 and he gets 64 in the exam - will the department then drag my accredited grade down??
    You would hope they wouldn’t do it on student by student basis but it would make sense to look at students’ exam performance versus their teachers’ invented grades and adjust the overall invented grades accordingly.

If you’ve only got one student wrong, that student might have had a bad day at the exam, and shouldn’t affect how your grading is viewed, overall. If all of your students go down 10-15% in the exam (or do so on average), then your invented grades should be adjusted accordingly, but for that, they might also have to look at everyone else’s invented grades too, because if that was a national trend, you could say that it was some sort of Covid related effect, and that the invented grades might be an accurate reflection of what they would have got, but for the disruption to their education for the last year.

Who knows though? They’ll be adjusted to fit what they want them to look like anyway.

RealJohn wrote: »
    You would hope they wouldn’t do it on student by student basis but it would make sense to look at students’ exam performance versus their teachers’ invented grades and adjust the overall invented grades accordingly.

If you’ve only got one student wrong, that student might have had a bad day at the exam, and shouldn’t affect how your grading is viewed, overall. If all of your students go down 10-15% in the exam (or do so on average), then your invented grades should be adjusted accordingly, but for that, they might also have to look at everyone else’s invented grades too, because if that was a national trend, you could say that it was some sort of Covid related effect, and that the invented grades might be an accurate reflection of what they would have got, but for the disruption to their education for the last year.

Who knows though? They’ll be adjusted to fit what they want them to look like anyway.

Thanks for that and very insightful. Lots of rationality in it but I'm not sure if rationality is part of the process.
    They should have had the accredited grades as a back up no more. They just gave into the media.
    We have **** child mental health services and practically any other child service you name but the LC is somehow put on a higher pedestal because it strikes at the heart of the middle classes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Treppen

We asked the Union if they would use one grade to moderate another, they said they were given assurances by the department that "there will be no relationship between Leaving Certificate performance and accredited grades in terms of the results achieved in one or other."

For some reason I still wouldn't trust the department.

• Advertisement

So, accredited grades have to be submitted by the teachers by 31st of May and then inputted into the system by June 3rd? Is that correct?

So, accredited grades have to be submitted by the teachers by 31st of May and then inputted into the system by June 3rd? Is that correct?

Does that mean we have to have the alignment meetings on the Monday?

I don’t understand why we have to rush all other marking and reports for the 28th if we have to have accredited grades done so early in the last week.

I don’t understand why we have to rush all other marking and reports for the 28th if we have to have accredited grades done so early in the last week.

But yesterday was the last day assessments could be given to students to count for their accredited grade. You have two weeks to finalise the grades.

I take it as the subject alignment process will be all but done by the 28th. Perhaps a meeting early the following week for departments to tie up any loose ends/box ticking exercise and then away ya go for the summer. Aide submits them by Thursday the 3rd then.

But yesterday was the last day assessments could be given to students to count for their accredited grade. You have two weeks to finalise the grades.

But I have 6 other sets of tests, and 8 other sets of reports that have to be in by the 28th when my last exam is on the 26th.

But I have 6 other sets of tests, and 8 other sets of reports that have to be in by the 28th when my last exam is on the 26th.

Surely it’s up to the staff to say to the principal to push out the submission date for grades for house exams.

• Advertisement

Surely it’s up to the staff to say to the principal to push out the submission date for grades for house exams.

It was in the accredited grades document that they all have to be done by the 28th so that we could focus on the accredited grades in the last week.

It was in the accredited grades document that they all have to be done by the 28th so that we could focus on the accredited grades in the last week.

The majority of teachers where I am are taking it that they won’t be in for the last week. The accredited grades process really shouldn’t take that long for teachers and the Subject alignment meeting could be held outside tuition time. They hardly expect people to come the first week of June?

The majority of teachers where I am are taking it that they won’t be in for the last week. The accredited grades process really shouldn’t take that long for teachers and the Subject alignment meeting could be held outside tuition time. They hardly expect people to come the first week of June?

Same as. The monthly assessments are done. It shouldn't take two weeks to decide on a grade for a student.

Anybody heard back on their Lc supervision yet? I applied for the extra cohort.

Anybody heard back on their Lc supervision yet? I applied for the extra cohort.

Just that I got it, but no other detail.

• Advertisement

I was on late list.

Just had a look at the email I got last week and the cut off for acceptance was last Thursday so I'd imagine anyone who is on the late list would get an offer this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭Alex86Eire

I was on the late list and got an appointment email last Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Of course not. The Department never ever go back on their word and when we were assured by them in an official statement last year that students will not get access to their class order of rankings they stuck firmly to their word. Also the grade process will be totally transparent (just like last year) as which result has been used (the exam grade or assessed grade) will be clearly indicated and ...

... er actually maybe they will

Anyone else struggling to find teacher to sit on the panel in order to judge the grades given by tutors for out of school subjects?

We cant find a registered Hungarian teacher to sit on the panel and verify the grades given by the students unregistered tutor. The SEC are telling me they must be registered.

Anyone else struggling to find teacher to sit on the panel in order to judge the grades given by tutors for out of school subjects?

We cant find a registered Hungarian teacher to sit on the panel and verify the grades given by the students unregistered tutor. The SEC are telling me they must be registered.

Ah here. Given that Hungarian is a non curricular language, how likely is it that there are any Hungarian teachers registered with the teaching council.

I’d suggest ringing the Hungarian embassy in Dublin (assuming there is one) and seeing if they can put you in touch with someone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Ah here. Given that Hungarian is a non curricular language, how likely is it that there are any Hungarian teachers registered with the teaching council.

I’d suggest ringing the Hungarian embassy in Dublin (assuming there is one) and seeing if they can put you in touch with someone

Didn't know you can get graded on non cirricula subjects...

So you can just make up your own?

There was an assessment for non-curricular languages last Saturday for accredited grades. I know someone marking one of them (but not Hungarian).
    My friend knows the person who’s marking the Hungarian though (as they know several of the people involved). There was only one of the non-curricular languages that had no applicants, apparently, and it wasn’t Hungarian.

Why those Hungarian students didn’t do that assessment, I don’t know, but it sounds like they should have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

RealJohn wrote: »
    There was an assessment for non-curricular languages last Saturday for accredited grades. I know someone marking one of them (but not Hungarian).
    My friend knows the person who’s marking the Hungarian though (as they know several of the people involved). There was only one of the non-curricular languages that had no applicants, apparently, and it wasn’t Hungarian.

Why those Hungarian students didn’t do that assessment, I don’t know, but it sounds like they should have.

This sounds as dodge as can be. Easy A I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I would like to know how these external grades are being standardised. We have a student doing a subject outside school who struggles to get 50% in OL subjects in school yet has been awarded a H1 for a subject he studies outside school

• Advertisement
Advertisement