Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Young95

Ya they're definitely lacking something. I'll have them in this week and I'll give a mineral drench too.

What age are the lambs ? You would think they’d get all mineral from sucking the ewes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭White Clover

Young95 wrote: »
    What age are the lambs ? You would think they’d get all mineral from sucking the ewes ?

Mid March onwards. We'd be on heavy ground that is high in molybdenum. Alot of minerals locked up or lacking. We'd go through minerals for fun to keep them right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Mid March onwards. We'd be on heavy ground that is high in molybdenum. Alot of minerals locked up or lacking. We'd go through minerals for fun to keep them right.

Lambs are always eating the ditches here, I pass no re,arks on them, they just like something different. We'd have them well bolused here for minerals

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭k mac

Ya notice them picking white thorn a good bit. Dosed them with cobalt last weekend. Bout a month ago they were mad at putting their heads through sheep wire and picking at old grass

Had i bugger of a lamb at the same here and he kept getting his head stuck then in the sheep wire.. thankfully seems to have stopped now, might be getting a bit of sense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Anyone watch any online sheep marts lately?.....or buy or sell stock?

Are ewes with lambs at foot as dear as ever?
    What kind of trade are plain hoggetts for keeping for the Summer?

Hi all.
    just bumping this.....has anyone seen ewes with lambs at foot or feeder hoggetts sold in last week or two online?.....heard from one man that ewes with lambs at foot are well back in price but he had only heard it second hand from someone who works in a Mart.

The lack of grass on a lot of farms is probably contributing to the drop in prices.People afraid to buy stock .

Thanks for any replies to anyone who has seen Hoggetts or ewes with lambs sold online lately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Hi all.
    just bumping this.....has anyone seen ewes with lambs at foot or feeder hoggetts sold in last week or two online?.....heard from one man that ewes with lambs at foot are well back in price but he had only heard it second hand from someone who works in a Mart.

The lack of grass on a lot of farms is probably contributing to the drop in prices.People afraid to buy stock .

Thanks for any replies to anyone who has seen Hoggetts or ewes with lambs sold online lately.

see ewe and single at around 200/250 on donedeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    see ewe and single at around 200/250 on donedeal.

Thanks....tbh I don't pass much heed of prices up on donedeal, especially if stock are 'dear' as you will have fellas looking for London for middling stock as they have heard sheep are a good trade!:)

Mart prices reflect the reality on the ground much more accurately imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tileman

Thanks....tbh I don't pass much heed of prices up on donedeal, especially if stock are 'dear' as you will have fellas looking for London for middling stock as they have heard sheep are a good trade!:)

Mart prices reflect the reality on the ground much more accurately imo.

All the sheep Mary’s are online. Just check in for 20 mins into a few as there are only a few lots in most Marts. At least I will see the quality

Have a ewe that doesnt seem to be letting down milk since lambing this morning. Big bag on her. Gave the lambs colostrum and going to top up with a bottle later. Do ye give them a shot of oxytocin straight away or leave them 24 hrs to see if they come into milk first?

Have a ewe that doesnt seem to be letting down milk since lambing this morning. Big bag on her. Gave the lambs colostrum and going to top up with a bottle later. Do ye give them a shot of oxytocin straight away or leave them 24 hrs to see if they come into milk first?

Is she very fat?

• Advertisement

Is she very fat?

Yep shed be the heaviest ewe we have

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Oxytocin only works within hours of birth, ..... if it's going to work.

Yep shed be the heaviest ewe we have

Probably fatty liver affecting her. I'd give 100ml/day of Ketovit/chanatol for a week to clear out the liver. They function better then.

wrangler wrote: »
    Oxytocin only works within hours of birth, ..... if it's going to work.

seem sot be starting to let some down now but topped lambs up anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭OneMan37

Have 15 Hoggs scanned to lamb last few weeks but nothing. They were moved with difficulty and pushed onto a trailer a month or more ago. Must have pitched lambs ?

OneMan37 wrote: »
    Have 15 Hoggs scanned to lamb last few weeks but nothing. They were moved with difficulty and pushed onto a trailer a month or more ago. Must have pitched lambs ?

Theyd hardly all lose them?

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Young95

Folks I’m tagging my replacement hoggots this weekend with the eid tag set of the button tag and one normal tag . This year I’m also putting a coloured management disc in one of there ears with the tag . Just wondering which tag those the management discs suit best ? The button tag or the normal big visual tag ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Young95 wrote: »
    Folks I’m tagging my replacement hoggots this weekend with the eid tag set of the button tag and one normal tag . This year I’m also putting a coloured management disc in one of there ears with the tag . Just wondering which tag those the management discs suit best ? The button tag or the normal big visual tag ?

One tip I’ll give you Is put a coloured management disc on both tags. Reason being Is if a sheep loses a tag then 50/50 chance the management tag will be gone too.
    I use the Cormac management discs with their tags too and they fit either tag. Imagine it’d be the same across the board.

One tip I’ll give you Is put a coloured management disc on both tags. Reason being Is if a sheep loses a tag then 50/50 chance the management tag will be gone too.
    I use the Cormac management discs with their tags too and they fit either tag. Imagine it’d be the same across the board.

What way do you work the discs? I just use one colour for twin born ewe lambs and another colour for triplet born ewe lambs.

What way do you work the discs? I just use one colour for twin born ewe lambs and another colour for triplet born ewe lambs.

Do you tag them at birth? I don’t tag till autumn time, and just put two of the same colour in each ear

• Advertisement

Do you tag them at birth? I don’t tag till autumn time, and just put two of the same colour in each ear

I just use a small management tag at a day old and tag permanently in the autumn.

I just use a small management tag at a day old and tag permanently in the autumn.

Do the lambs ever lose them management tags?

Do the lambs ever lose them management tags?

Rarely to be honest. If they lose one by the first dose, they still have their aerosol number on their side so I just retag then.

Theyd hardly all lose them?

I think 2/3 out of the group of 16 lambed about 5 weeks ago and nothing since.

I think 2/3 out of the group of 16 lambed about 5 weeks ago and nothing since.

Could be on the next cycle. I think its every 17 days??

Could be on the next cycle. I think its every 17 days??

Highly doubt it, as I’ve another group that weren’t stressed all lambing in last few weeks. They were all running with the same ram, in one field. I separated them later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭razor8

Highly doubt it, as I’ve another group that weren’t stressed all lambing in last few weeks. They were all running with the same ram, in one field. I separated them later.

Blood tests will probably tell you they aborted

Any tips on dealing with an outbreak of orf in pet lambs inside? Never before had orf here, inside or outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭Sami23

Any tips on dealing with an outbreak of orf in pet lambs inside? Never before had orf here, inside or outside.

Tubby lick buckets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭joe35

Anyone know when would be the best time to put a dog in pup. TIA

Advertisement