Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly Fishing on the Dodder

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭delmonte4

Yeah I agree. The wild browns would surely take a pounding otherwise with the lack of stockies. Looks like I’ll be collecting mother and baby tomorrow anyway so probably won’t get to try that area now at this stage. Though trying to rig it so I can snake off to Ree for the Mayfly for a day 😂.

Has talk of fish ladders died a death does anyone know?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

And I seen lads fishing on firhouse waterfall other day and the mess they left of smokes and cans everywhere.

That spot is common for a complete disregard for the rules, if ever there was a section that needed policing for compliance it's right there. From young lads to men who should know better but just don't bother. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭david_1888

Couple of decent sized brownies spotted this eve. Good to see that there is some life still in the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

remember maggots are illegal on the river.

that's news to me last time i looked at the membership book it was fine but that was several years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ElBastardo1

that's news to me last time i looked at the membership book it was fine but that was several years ago.

I thought it was no ground bating with maggots?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

I thought it was no ground bating with maggots?
    That may be a club rule but no specific Bye law is in place for fisheries officers to enforce it. A similar situation with the dodder permit. Cannot be enforced by ifi personnel. They are refined to dealing with more traditional breaches of fisheries legislation or if bye laws pertaining to a certain prohibition on specific waters such as fly only on bohernabreena reservoir etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭fourmations

maggots are legal, i checked my permit
    the text hasn't changed in years

im not a flyfishing snob but i wish they were illegal,
    the amount of fish that die from deep hooking with maggots
    must be staggering, a lot of the casual anglers havent a clue,
    they throw in the bait and wait for the rod to start hopping
    this is usually with slack lines and no decent connection to the bait
    at which point the trout is invariably deep hooked,
    i've only seen one guy do it properly because he was a seasoned all
    round angler and he knew what he was doing,
    most guys dont even have disgorgers!!
    at least if they used floats they might be able to hook the fish in the mouth,
    i could live with spinning, preferably single hook, the fish have a chance

im all for lads enjoying a bit of fishing and in fairness many dont know any better but a bit of education would go a long way, its a pity the club arent
    a bit more proactive on this, sure they still run "kill the fish" competitions
    there is a token catch & release competition or two but the rest are not

anyway.....i cant see it changing in a hurry

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Does anybody have any tips for nymph/wet fly on the dodder this time of year?

I've been getting up consistently for the last two months and must say I am struggling to get any traction with the fish.

When there's a rise on, I am at least getting some attention and I don't mind missing fish because I know I am doing something wrong and enjoy trying to figure it out. But it seems to me rises have been getting fewer and farther between of late and when I go up and there is nothing rising I feel I am wasting my time.

Generally using pheasant tail and bead head nymphs 12-14. Team of two fished up and across on a tight line. Must've put hours into it at this stage and not so much as a bite. Any advice on what to do when fish not rising appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ElBastardo1

I can only tell you what works for me on the dodder, I'm no expert though. For the past few weeks fishing on the dodder hasn't hasn't been great so don't think it's just down to you. Small wet flies work, nothing too complicated. 'Black and green spider' and a 'Partridge and orange', they work for me. The smaller the better. If you can do some dry fly fishing you might get some interest, try a small 'grey duster' and use something to keep it on the top of the water.

tight lines

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭katy39

Is Dodder stocked this year?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

No, not possible due to Covid related restrictions on movement according to the facebook page update (and members newsletter).

A lot of people are calling for the wild trout to be continued to be given a chance to not have to compete, as last year was a relatively good experience for many fishing the Dodder.

First one of the season. Quick photo and back in the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭murdog!

Nice fish! Wondering where to get my permit this year if the tackle shops are closed until the 5th of forever?

Can get them online.

I got mine in Henry's Tackle. They'll post out to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭rtc

murdog! wrote: »
    Nice fish! Wondering where to get my permit this year if the tackle shops are closed until the 5th of forever?
    You can pick one up in Mutz Nutz pet shop in tallaght.I got mine yesterday.

Quick query on the bubble and fly method.

Can you cast out and let the line float downstream or do you need to continuously retrieve?

david_1888 wrote: »
    Quick query on the bubble and fly method.

Can you cast out and let the line float downstream or do you need to continuously retrieve?

Haven't fished that method myself in flowing water but assume you could allow it to float downstream if you mend the line as it goes

Anyone had much luck yet this year? Thinking of heading out tomorrow morning

If anyone walks up the stretch between Marian College Bridge and just after the tunnel where the dart goes over, past the secondary school, keep an eye out for line tied to the railings. Just pulled up two lines, one snapped as I was bringing it in, the other had a trout no bigger than a finger length. Deep hooked but managed to get it unhooked and it swam off. Fish are not that big in that swim so struggling to think why someone would leave lines out...

Post edited by david_1888 on

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭delmonte4

I had a bit of success in 2019 in the late season and am wondering what’s fishing well in Bohernabreena at the moment? Iv been researching buzzers and duck flies etc and am wondering are they a runner up there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

There was a Fish kill up at Saint endas Park lake and river on Friday into Saturday. This flows into the owendore river in rathfarnham which flows into the dodder at bushy Park, beside the new cycle track and small car park. Fisherys ireland were notified. Anyone know if any fish were killed in the dodder.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭jack01986

Oh didn’t know that. I’m just beside the Owendore and didn’t see any dead fish. Do you know what caused it?

Advertisement