Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

delly wrote: »
    Okay, it's been answered 10 times already, one pack of paracetamol! Now back to the crisis.

Any restrictions on ibuprofen yet? Or can I stockpile them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,592 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Hurrache wrote: »
    You guys are so naive to the soft power Ireland has from this. But I suspect your comments are mainly because of personal issues with lack of confidence or the simple fact it's simply because of who is in government.

This is the government rubbish they use to justify this embarrassment. Why can't Ireland invite people here instead for Patrick's Day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    From the Guardian:
    All of Italy will be placed under the lockdown conditions thus far imposed upon the so-called “red zone” in the north of the country, the Italian prime minister Giuseppe Conte has said. The restrictions will include banning all public gatherings and preventing all movement other than for work and emergencies. According to the Reuters news agency, he has said the decision was necessary to protect Italy’s most vulnerable citizens and that the right course of action now is for people to stay at home.

"All movement other than for work". So how is that a lockdown if people are still expected to go out to work? It doesn't seem to be on the same scale as what was implemented in china.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

You guys are so naive to the soft power Ireland has from this. But I suspect your comments are mainly because of personal issues with lack of confidence or the simple fact it's because of who is in government.

What are the benifits?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Strange there are no cases in the nw of ireland.

I know it's only a matter of time.

Maybe the virus is making it's way up the crap roads to the nw! Takes longer to get here.

There’s no stopping the virus spreading but if slowed down it gives medical services some chance on responding effectively to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

delly wrote: »
    Okay, it's been answered 10 times already, one pack of paracetamol! Now back to the crisis.

Yes. One pack of paracetamol per person. It’s been like that for 23 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

They must have received a massive payoff from the EU to lock down the whole country.

This could cause a major recession in Italy. Which in turn could cause the whole EU to be in trouble. Scary and fascinating at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Will foreign people be able to leave or enter the quarantine zone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Locking down all of Italy?

****ing hell. That's a game changer.

The Italian's won't like that, but it's either that or a large proportion of elderly people are going to die.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭munster87

fritzelly wrote: »
    Does everyone know now you can only buy one pack of paracetamol?

And the whole of Italy is in lockdown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,675 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I think this further illustrates how much of a mess the Italians have made of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

You guys are so naive to the soft power Ireland has from this. But I suspect your comments are mainly because of personal issues with lack of confidence or the simple fact it's because of who is in government.

Yes it's lack of self confidence and personal issues. That's it.

Maybe we want the country to have a little bit of respect for itself.

You can't disagree with someone without assuming they have personal issues. Great strategy.

No clarity on what this "lockdown" actually means for Italy.

Will Irish citizens be allowed to return to Ireland now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

A patient will be speaking to Claire Byrne tonight in case it hasn't been posted

https://twitter.com/ClaireByrneLive/status/1237108370672431104?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭mossie

It's been that way for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭Guffy

Embarrassing then? How insecure are we?

Do you really think all that happens on these visits is that the taoiseach and POTUS sit in a room for an hour or so and exchange a shamrock? These are annual trade talks as such to multiple countries around the world that generate jobs for Ireland.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    "All movement other than for work". So how is that a lockdown if people are still expected to go out to work? It doesn't seem to be on the same scale as what was implemented in china.

I don't know, I presume they'll get the army involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

wakka12 wrote: »
    Will foreign people be able to leave or enter the quarantine zone?

Who wants them back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

it's the type of lock down that every country should implement right now, you can cut off a lot of potential contacts by doing that. Lots of jobs can be done from home too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This could cause a major recession in Italy. Which in turn could cause the whole EU to be in trouble. Scary and fascinating at the same time.

It's one of the old piglets from the financial crisis too along with Spain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

DrumSteve wrote: »

The Italian's won't like that, but it's either that or a large proportion of elderly people are going to die.

It's more to do with the fact they are exporting the virus. It is out of control already there.

munster87 wrote: »
    And the whole of Italy is in lockdown

Can you only buy 1 box of paracetamol in Italy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

dmc17 wrote: »
    A patient will be speaking to Claire Byrne tonight in case it hasn't been posted

Claire Byrne for the biggest AMA in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Italian government website is timing out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,034 ✭✭✭✭Stark

dmc17 wrote: »

Will be in the studio? :)

"There's coronavirus for everyone in the audience!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,154 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think it is more about limiting the spread between their regions, rather than locking down people in the regions - though they have stopping most public gatherings. And funerals :(

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    it's the type of lock down that every country should implement right now, you can cut off a lot of potential contacts by doing that. Lots of jobs can be done from home too

And spread of virus slowed to help the medical services cope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

This is the government rubbish they use to justify this embarrassment. Why can't Ireland invite people here instead for Patrick's Day?

Try not to be convinced the man is putting you down on everything, your life will be happier.

https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/comments/fg1fk9/58_new_cases_in_sweden_during_monday_for_a_total/
    58 more cases in Sweden.

150 of the cases in the country are in Stockholm, I would say it is the urban area in Europe with the most infections after Madrid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

gw80 wrote: »
    No, you have me mistaken,
    What I'm getting at is, if someone gets the virus as it is now and recovers, thus your body has built up some sort of immunity, would that person be in a better position if the virus mutates into something more dangerous,
    Just a pure" out of interest " question.
    Believe me the last thing I am doing is fantasizing about this getting worse, trout season starts soon and i certainly don't want to be hold up at home for god knows how long.

Fair enough, my apologies to you. Was more so directed and a group of people in here rather than you specifically.

Since there's already 2 strains and you can allegedly get both then I assume that is a possibility.
    Miike wrote: »
    You can clearly see at the top of that article it is an accepted manuscript. 99.999% of the research on SARS-CoV-2 will be early access papers because the peer review process is timely and intensive. Is there something in their findings you find refutable?

Fair enough. That still doesn't make it factual. That's not how science works.

https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2020-03-05/chinese-scientists-say-second-coronavirus-strain-more-dangerous

And a paper refuting some of the claims.

http://virological.org/t/response-to-on-the-origin-and-continuing-evolution-of-sars-cov-2/418

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Spain outbreak, new cases per day ....

GRIM

0d3119ff85026472c4ecb075c2aee94c82bb33dd.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

I explained to them that my wife, myself and they will be fine but I also explained that we have to be extra careful around their grand parents because they may feel more sick if they get the virus. They watched the news with me and I explained I’m sad because a lot of people are going to get sick and die. I want my children to empathize with others and I want them to understand that there is a cost to being selfish and self centred at others expense.

Whenever they ask about it I try to address it. I don’t scare them , reassure them and try to use it to get them to take vitamins and wash their hands. Also told them they may be getting time off school at some stage. We also mentioned holidays might not be happening but we won’t know until later on in the year.

My youngest is 6. I don’t believe in keeping everything from our children. When my dad died I was inconsolable for days but tried to let them see me cry and explained to them this is what love is. Love is to feel pain after so much joy so cherish the time with loved ones.

It is clear you are a little anxious, and that's perfectly understandable, but maintaining an air of normality around the kids is probably the best play until the situation changes IMHO. I think it is best to try to explain things from a scientific perspective re. hygiene and why you might have to change your behavior around older people, and when answering the inevitable questions.

I think it is best to leave out the emotional stuff like the selfishness, sadness and linking their hand washing to them catching the virus as a motivator. Good hygiene is important for kids at the best of times.

It's is clear you are a caring and excellent parent. I'm no expert in this area but this I how my wife and I are handling things.

sdanseo wrote: »
    Italian government website is timing out.

Miniclip 8 ball pool not working on iPad :eek:

:D

Can the other EU countries close their borders to Italy now with the lockdown in place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

DrumSteve wrote: »

And younger people too. We are talking about all people on critical condition currently not being able to receive treatment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Don't have any paracetamol. Gonna head down to Tesco and pick up a few boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

Yeah it's aways been that way mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

TTLF wrote: »
    Is it due to more testing and quicker times for results? I mean Spain shot up 500 people in a day, so I’m just wondering.

Also I don’t get why the HSE are only testing people under a certain criteria, maybe it’s to keep a control of the number of people tested...

The testing criteria is specific because we do not have a vast capacity for testing like other countries. Some countries don't have a large supply of test kits. These kits have only been manufactured over the last number of months and countries all over the world are looking for them. It is hard to keep up with demand.

The HSE are busy trying to contact everyone that has come into contact with the positive cases so far, hundreds of people.

Testing those people is a priority. We have to get through all contacts before we can test anyone else who thinks they have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Who wants them back?

Mostly those posh folk anyway fresh from their skiing holidays.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I think it is more about limiting the spread between their regions, rather than locking down people in the regions - though they have stopping most public gatherings. And funerals :(

That's the saddest part of this in a way.

Going through something like that and not being able to properly mourn.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Claire Byrne has just been locked down by an Italian on paracetamol.

Just heard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Guffy wrote: »
    Do you really think all that happens on these visits is that the taoiseach and POTUS sit in a room for an hour or so and exchange a shamrock? These are annual trade talks as such to multiple countries around the world that generate jobs for Ireland.

Trump has repeatedly said he wants the multinationals back in the us and paying tax to the us government. They don't like Ireland and repeatedly call it a tax haven. Even countries within the EU accuse Ireland of providing state aid and facilitating tax avoidance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

reporter asked whether any one case was the origin for more then 1 other case, Chief Medical officer wouldn't answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Blueshoe wrote: »
    What are the benifits?

Seizures caused by overdoses of Benylin because Tesco don't have a limit on that?

Guffy wrote: »

The trade and jobs part is fine of course.

It's the going abroad on our national day is the issue. I do not believe these visits have ever created any jobs. No other country does these things on their national day and they are fine.

The jobs line is a myth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Italy is just doing what all the guidlines say to do, it is self isolating itself...

I wonder if it will spark off internal tensions, rioting, panic buying and those defying the curfews etc.

Surprised no official airline announcements yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

reporter asked whether anyone case was the origin for more then 1 other case, Chief Medical officer wouldn't answer.

This in Ireland ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,428 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Don't have any paracetamol. Gonna head down to Tesco and pick up a few boxes.

Good luck with that, only one pack per transaction, could be a while :D

40% of the total cases in Europe are already outside Italy. Its probably too little too late

There are 7 other countries in Europe with more than 200 cases and and 3 with over 1000, and dozens of others with 20-100 cases

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Can we stop the eye rolling at people posting stuff that’s already been said? This thread moves at lightning pace, people giving out about others posting stuff that’s already been said is actually more distracting. Perhaps we can skim over the duplicate posts rather than flagging it?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement