Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-09-2020, 19:32   #616
Manach

Twenty-fifth Sunday in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 133

Gospel MT 20:1-16A
Jesus told his disciples this parable:
“The kingdom of heaven is like a landowner
who went out at dawn to hire laborers for his vineyard.
After agreeing with them for the usual daily wage,
he sent them into his vineyard.
Going out about nine o’clock,
the landowner saw others standing idle in the marketplace,
and he said to them, ‘You too go into my vineyard,
and I will give you what is just.’
So they went off.
And he went out again around noon,
and around three o’clock, and did likewise.
Going out about five o’clock,
the landowner found others standing around, and said to them,
‘Why do you stand here idle all day?’
They answered, ‘Because no one has hired us.’
He said to them, ‘You too go into my vineyard.’
When it was evening the owner of the vineyard said to his foreman,
‘Summon the laborers and give them their pay,
beginning with the last and ending with the first.’
When those who had started about five o’clock came,
each received the usual daily wage.
So when the first came, they thought that they would receive more,
but each of them also got the usual wage.
And on receiving it they grumbled against the landowner, saying,
‘These last ones worked only one hour,
and you have made them equal to us,
who bore the day’s burden and the heat.’
He said to one of them in reply,
‘My friend, I am not cheating you.
Did you not agree with me for the usual daily wage?
Take what is yours and go.
What if I wish to give this last one the same as you?
Or am I not free to do as I wish with my own money?
Are you envious because I am generous?’
Thus, the last will be first, and the first will be last.”

Source : http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/
: https://www.ewtn.com/catholicism/daily-readings
Irish : https://www.catholicireland.net/read...day&lang=irish
Audio : http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings-audio.cfm

Commentary:
20:1-16 The parable of the Householder highlights God's generosity (20:15). It refers to Israel's labor throughout salvation history and climaxes with the inclusion of the Gentiles in the New Covenant.

Hahn, Scott; Mitch, Curtis. The Ignatius Catholic Study Bible New Testament (Kindle Locations 11890-11891). Ignatius Press. Kindle Edition.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
27-09-2020, 12:00   #617
Thinkingaboutit

Seventeenth Sunday After Pentecost

Commemoration of SS Cosmas and Damian

Semi-double

Green Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Pauli Apóstoli ad Ephésios.

Ephes iv. 1-6

Fratres: Obsecro vos ego vinctus in Dómino, ut digne ambulétis vocatióne, qua vocáti estis, cum omni humilitáte et mansuetúdine, cum patiéntia, supportántes ínvicem in caritáte, sollíciti serváre unitátem spíritus in vínculo pacis. Unum corpus et unus spíritus, sicut vocáti estis in una spe vocatiónis vestræ. Unus Dóminus, una fides, unum baptísma. Unus Deus et Pater ómnium, qui est super omnes et per ómnia et in ómnibus nobis. Qui est benedíctus in saecula sæculórum. Amen.

R Deo gratias.

Lesson
Lesson from the letter of St Paul the Apostle to the Ephesians

Ephes iv. 1-6

Brethren: I, the prisoner in the Lord, exhort you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all humility and meekness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, careful to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace: one body and one Spirit, even as you were called in one hope of your calling; One Lord, one faith, one Baptism, one God and Father of all, Who is above all, and throughout all, and in us all, Who is blessed forever and ever. Amen..
R.
Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

Sequéntia sancti Evangélii secúndum Matthaeum.

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Matt xxii. 34-46

I In illo témpore: Accessérunt ad Iesum pharisaei: et interrogávit eum unus ex eis legis doctor, tentans eum: Magíster, quod est mandátum magnum in lege? Ait illi Iesus: Díliges Dóminum, Deum tuum, ex toto corde tuo et in tota ánima tua et in tota mente tua. Hoc est máximum et primum mandátum. Secúndum autem símile est huic: Díliges próximum tuum sicut teípsum. In his duóbus mandátis univérsa lex pendet et prophétæ. Congregátis autem pharisaeis, interrogávit eos Iesus, dicens: Quid vobis vidétur de Christo? cuius fílius est? Dicunt ei: David. Ait illis: Quómodo ergo David in spíritu vocat eum Dóminum, dicens: Dixit Dóminus Dómino meo, sede a dextris meis, donec ponam inimícos tuos scabéllum pedum tuórum? Si ergo David vocat eum Dóminum, quómodo fílius eius est? Et nemo poterat ei respóndere verbum: neque ausus fuit quisquam ex illa die eum ámplius interrogáre.
R.
Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Continuation of the Holy Gospel according to Matthew

R. Glory be to Thee, O Lord.

Matt xxii. 34-46

At that time, the Pharisees came to Jesus and one of them, a doctor of the Law, putting Him to the test, asked Him, Master, which is the great commandment in the Law? Jesus said to him, ‘You shall love the Lord your God with your whole heart, and with your whole soul, and with your whole mind.’ This is the greatest and first commandment. And the second is like it, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets. Now while the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus questioned them, saying, What do you think of the Christ? Whose son is He? They said to Him, David’s. He said to them, How then does David in the spirit call Him Lord, saying, The Lord said to my Lord: Sit at My right hand, till I make Your enemies Your footstool?’ If David, therefore, calls Him ‘Lord,’ how is He his son? And no one could answer Him a word; neither did anyone dare from that day forth to ask Him any more questions. S. By the words of the Gospel may our sins be blotted out.

In the Epistle, St. Paul insists on the unity of the Church: one Lord, one faith, one baptism.’
The Gospel, like that for the preceding Sunday, recounts our Lord’s teaching to the Pharisees; this time it is on the importance of charity towards one’s neighbour, which is really the same as the love of God. He reminds them too, of the great truth which sums up the history of the Jewish people, that the Messias, though He is his son, is greater than David.
The Roman Missal in Latin and English for every day in the year. Introduction and liturgical notes by Abbot Cabrol, O.S.B, The Talbot Press, Dublin 1957, pp 678.

PS I posted the wrong Mass, albeit with the correct Commemoration last Sunday. Anyhow don't worry. It's still a good message worth repeating. Don't be flinging around traffic cones like the owner of Damascus Gate was doing this morning, over it, I suppose a lot of business owners are at the fling traffic cones stage. Anyhow.
Thanks from:
27-09-2020, 17:44   #618
Manach

Twenty-sixth Sunday in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 136

Matt 21:28 - 32
Jesus said to the chief priests and elders of the people:
"What is your opinion?
A man had two sons.
He came to the first and said,
'Son, go out and work in the vineyard today.'
He said in reply, 'I will not, '
but afterwards changed his mind and went.
The man came to the other son and gave the same order.
He said in reply, 'Yes, sir, ‘but did not go.
Which of the two did his father's will?"
They answered, "The first."
Jesus said to them, "Amen, I say to you,
tax collectors and prostitutes
are entering the kingdom of God before you.
When John came to you in the way of righteousness,
you did not believe him;
but tax collectors and prostitutes did.
Yet even when you saw that,
you did not later change your minds and believe him."

Commentary:
The parable of the Two Sons explains the preceding question about John the Baptist's authority (21:25). The sons (21:28) represent two groups of people: the first are sinners who repent at the preaching of John (21:32); the second are Israel's leaders, who refuse the Baptist's message, even when tax collectors and harlots (21:32) respond to him
Thanks from:
29-09-2020, 13:07   #619
monara

Glad to have found this forum as our weekly scripture group has been been discontinued because of covid.

An interesting reading. The first son seems to respond rudely to his father, hardly excusable even if he later thinks better of it. The second son is polite but has a change of heart, hardly excusable either having given his word. But my difficulty with the passage is the punch line; a distinction based on order of entry into the kingdom. I would have thought that entry into the kingdom was the important thing and that order of entry did not matter. I also think that mentioning tax collectors and prostitutes together, with the suggestion that they were, ipso facto,
unworthy of the kingdom smacks of rash judgement.
04-10-2020, 10:28   #620
Manach

Twenty-seventh Sunday in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 139

Gospel MT 21:33-43
Jesus said to the chief priests and the elders of the people:
"Hear another parable.
There was a landowner who planted a vineyard,
put a hedge around it, dug a wine press in it, and built a tower.
Then he leased it to tenants and went on a journey.
When vintage time drew near,
he sent his servants to the tenants to obtain his produce.
But the tenants seized the servants and one they beat,
another they killed, and a third they stoned.
Again he sent other servants, more numerous than the first ones,
but they treated them in the same way.
Finally, he sent his son to them, thinking,
'They will respect my son.'
But when the tenants saw the son, they said to one another,
'This is the heir.
Come, let us kill him and acquire his inheritance.’
They seized him, threw him out of the vineyard, and killed him.
What will the owner of the vineyard do to those tenants when he comes?"
They answered him,
"He will put those wretched men to a wretched death
and lease his vineyard to other tenants
who will give him the produce at the proper times."
Jesus said to them, "Did you never read in the Scriptures:
The stone that the builders rejected
has become the cornerstone;
by the Lord has this been done,
and it is wonderful in our eyes?
Therefore, I say to you,
the kingdom of God will be taken away from you
and given to a people that will produce its fruit."

Commentary:
The parable of the Wicked Tenants is an allegory—i.e., each of its details is important and symbolic (cf. Is 5:1-2). The householder is God (21:33) and the vineyard is Jerusalem (21:33). The tenants are Israel's leaders (21:33, 45) while the servants are OT prophets persecuted for warning Israel of its sins (21:34; cf. 23:37). The son is Jesus, who will be thrown out of the vineyard and crucified outside the city

Hahn, Scott; Mitch, Curtis. The Ignatius Catholic Study Bible New Testament (Kindle Locations 3747-3751). Ignatius Press. Kindle Edition.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
04-10-2020, 13:02   #621
Thinkingaboutit

Eighteenth Sunday After Pentecost

Commemoration of St Francis of Assisi

Semi-double

Green Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Pauli Apóstoli ad Corinthios

1 Cor I, 4-8

Fratres: Grátias ago Deo meo semper pro vobis in grátia Dei, quæ data est vobis in Christo Iesu: quod in ómnibus dívites facti estis in illo, in omni verbo et in omni sciéntia: sicut testimónium Christi confirmátum est in vobis: ita ut nihil vobis desit in ulla grátia, exspectántibus revelatiónem Dómini nostri Iesu Christi, qui et confirmábit vos usque in finem sine crímine, in die advéntus Dómini nostri Iesu Christi.

R Deo gratias.

Lesson

1 Cor I, 4-8

Brethren: I give thanks to my God always concerning you for the grace of God which was given you in Christ Jesus, because in everything you have been enriched in Him, in all utterance and in all knowledge; even as the witness to the Christ has been made so firm in you that you lack no grace, while awaiting the appearance of our Lord Jesus Christ, Who will also keep you secure unto the end, unimpeachable in the day of the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
R.
Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Matt ix, 1-8

[COLOR="Red"]I[/COLORn illo témpore: Ascéndens Iesus in navículam, transfretávit et venit in civitátem suam. Et ecce, offerébant ei paralýticum iacéntem in lecto. Et videns Iesus fidem illórum, dixit paralýtico: Confíde, fili, remittúntur tibi peccáta tua. Et ecce, quidam de scribis dixérunt intra se: Hic blasphémat. Et cum vidísset Iesus cogitatiónes eórum, dixit: Ut quid cogitátis mala in córdibus vestris? Quid est facílius dícere: Dimittúntur tibi peccáta tua; an dícere: Surge et ámbula? Ut autem sciátis, quia Fílius hóminis habet potestátem in terra dimitténdi peccáta, tunc ait paralýtico: Surge, tolle lectum tuum, et vade in domum tuam. Et surréxit et ábiit in domum suam. Vidéntes autem turbæ timuérunt, et glorificavérunt Deum, qui dedit potestátem talem homínibus.
R.
Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Matt ix, 1-8

At that time, Jesus, getting into a boat, crossed over and came to his own town. And behold, they brought to Him a paralytic lying on a pallet. And Jesus, seeing their faith, said to the paralytic, Take courage, son; your sins are forgiven you. And behold, some of the scribes said within themselves, This man blasphemes. And Jesus, knowing their thoughts, said, Why do you harbor evil thoughts in your hearts? For which is easier, to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven you,’ or to say, ‘Arise, and walk’? But that you may know that the Son of Man has power on earth to forgive sins, - then He said to the paralytic - Arise, take up your pallet and go to your house. And he arose, and went away to his house. But when the crowds saw it, they were struck with fear, and glorified God Who had given such power to men. S. By the words of the Gospel may our sins be blotted out.

Considered as the day following Ember week, though owing to the movable date of Easter this is not always the case, this Sunday was formerly a vacant Sunday of account of the long ceremonial of the eve. Later it was given a Mass which has been composed for the dedication of the church of St. Michael in Rome.
The Gospel is connected with the liturgy of the Ember days in that it speaks on the forgiveness of sins.

The Roman Missal in Latin and English for every day in the year. Introduction and liturgical notes by Abbot Cabrol, O.S.B, The Talbot Press, Dublin 1957, p 698
Thanks from:
11-10-2020, 11:05   #622
Thinkingaboutit

Nineteenth Sunday After Pentecost

Semi-double

Green Vestments

Commemoration of the Maternity of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Pauli Apóstoli ad Ephésios

Ephes iv, 23-28

Fratres: Renovámini spíritu mentis vestræ, et indúite novum hóminem, qui secúndum Deum creátus est in iustítia et sanctitáte veritátis. Propter quod deponéntes mendácium, loquímini veritátem unusquísque cum próximo suo: quóniam sumus ínvicem membra. Irascímini, et nolíte peccáre: sol non occídat super iracúndiam vestram. Nolíte locum dare diábolo: qui furabátur, iam non furétur; magis autem labóret, operándo mánibus suis, quod bonum est, ut hábeat, unde tríbuat necessitátem patiénti.
R Deo gratias.

Lesson

Ephes iv, 23-28

Brethren: Be renewed in the spirit of your mind, and put on the new man, which has been created according to God in justice and holiness of truth. Wherefore, put away lying and speak truth each one with his neighbor, because we are members of one another. Be angry and do not sin; do not let the sun go down upon your anger; do not give place to the devil. He who was wont to steal, let him steal no longer; but rather let him labor, working with his hands at what is good, that he may have something to share with him who suffers need.
R.
Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Matt 22:1-14

In illo témpore: Loquebátur Iesus princípibus sacerdótum et pharisaeis in parábolis, dicens: Símile factum est regnum coelórum hómini regi, qui fecit núptias fílio suo. Et misit servos suos vocáre invitátos ad nuptias, et nolébant veníre. Iterum misit álios servos, dicens: Dícite invitátis: Ecce, prándium meum parávi, tauri mei et altília occísa sunt, et ómnia paráta: veníte ad núptias. Illi autem neglexérunt: et abiérunt, álius in villam suam, álius vero ad negotiatiónem suam: réliqui vero tenuérunt servos eius, et contuméliis afféctos occidérunt. Rex autem cum audísset, iratus est: et, missis exercítibus suis, pérdidit homicídas illos et civitátem illórum succéndit. Tunc ait servis suis: Núptiæ quidem parátæ sunt, sed, qui invitáti erant, non fuérunt digni. Ite ergo ad exitus viárum et, quoscúmque invenéritis, vocáte ad núptias. Et egréssi servi eius in vias, congregavérunt omnes, quos invenérunt, malos et bonos: et implétæ sunt núptiæ discumbéntium. Intrávit autem rex, ut vidéret discumbéntes, et vidit ibi hóminem non vestítum veste nuptiáli. Et ait illi: Amíce, quómodo huc intrásti non habens vestem nuptiálem? At ille obmútuit. Tunc dixit rex minístris: Ligátis mánibus et pédibus eius, míttite eum in ténebras exterióres: ibi erit fletus et stridor déntium. Multi enim sunt vocáti, pauci vero elécti.
R.
Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Matt 22:1-14

At that time, Jesus spoke to the chief priests and the Pharisees in parables, saying, The kingdom of heaven is like a king who made a marriage feast for his son. And he sent his servants to call in those invited to the marriage feast for his son. And he sent his servants to call in those invited to the marriage feast, but they would not come. Again he sent out other servants, saying, ‘Tell those who are invited, behold, I have prepared my dinner; my oxen and fatlings are killed, and everything is ready; come to the marriage feast.’ But they made light of it, and went off, one to his farm, and another to his business; and the rest laid hold of his servants, treated them shamefully, and killed them. But when the king heard of it, he was angry; and he sent his armies, destroyed those murderers, and burnt their city. Then he said to his servants, ‘The marriage feast indeed is ready, but those who were invited were not worthy; go therefore to the crossroads, and invite to the marriage feast whomever you shall find.’ And his servants went out into the roads, and gathered all whom they found, both good and bad; and the marriage feast was filled with guests. Now the king went in to see the guests, and he saw there a man who had not on a wedding garment. And he said to him, ‘Friend, how did you come in here without a wedding garment?’ But he was speechless. Then the king said to the attendants, ‘Bind his hands and feet and cast him forth into the darkness outside, where there will be the weeping and the gnashing of teeth.’ For many are called, but few are chosen. S. By the words of the Gospel may our sins be blotted out.

The Epistle, Gospel and Collect teach us that God requires from those that serve him poverty of spirit and fear of sin.
The Roman Missal in Latin and English for every day in the year. Introduction and liturgical notes by Abbot Cabrol, O.S.B, The Talbot Press, Dublin 1957, p 701.
Thanks from:
11-10-2020, 23:08   #623
Manach

Twenty-eighth Sunday in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 142

Gospel
MT 22:1-14 OR 22:1-10
Jesus again in reply spoke to the chief priests and elders of the people
in parables, saying,
"The kingdom of heaven may be likened to a king
who gave a wedding feast for his son.
He dispatched his servants
to summon the invited guests to the feast,
but they refused to come.
A second time he sent other servants, saying,
‘Tell those invited: “Behold, I have prepared my banquet,
my calves and fattened cattle are killed,
and everything is ready; come to the feast.”’
Some ignored the invitation and went away,
one to his farm, another to his business.
The rest laid hold of his servants,
mistreated them, and killed them.
The king was enraged and sent his troops,
destroyed those murderers, and burned their city.
Then he said to his servants, 'The feast is ready,
but those who were invited were not worthy to come.
Go out, therefore, into the main roads
and invite to the feast whomever you find.’
The servants went out into the streets
and gathered all they found, bad and good alike,
and the hall was filled with guests.
But when the king came in to meet the guests,
he saw a man there not dressed in a wedding garment.
The king said to him, 'My friend, how is it
that you came in here without a wedding garment?'
But he was reduced to silence.
Then the king said to his attendants, 'Bind his hands and feet,
and cast him into the darkness outside,
where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth.’
Many are invited, but few are chosen."

Commentary:
22:2 marriage feast: An image of rejoicing and communion with God. • The background is probably Is 25:6-9, where the salvation of God's people is portrayed as a joyful banquet.

Hahn, Scott; Mitch, Curtis. The Ignatius Catholic Study Bible New Testament (Kindle Locations 11890-11891). Ignatius Press. Kindle Edition.
12-10-2020, 11:17   #624
monara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manach View Post
Twenty-eighth Sunday in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 142

Gospel
MT 22:1-14 OR 22:1-10

Go out, therefore, into the main roads
and invite to the feast whomever you find.’
The servants went out into the streets
and gathered all they found, bad and good alike,
and the hall was filled with guests.
But when the king came in to meet the guests,
he saw a man there not dressed in a wedding garment.
The king said to him, 'My friend, how is it
that you came in here without a wedding garment?'
But he was reduced to silence.
Then the king said to his attendants, 'Bind his hands and feet,
and cast him into the darkness outside,
where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth.’
Many are invited, but few are chosen."

Commentary:
22:2 marriage feast: An image of rejoicing and communion with God. • The background is probably Is 25:6-9, where the salvation of God's people is portrayed as a joyful banquet.

A lovely parable but I'm not sure I know what it means. Were all those gathered from the streets in wedding garments? And if someone came inappropriately clad why punish him by binding his hands and feet? He was responding to an invitation after all and no host would have the right to punish any invitee in this way.
The final sentence is absurd. Many invited but few chosen? Then why invite them? This runs counter to the modern drift towards universalism and I'm not sure if it makes sense.
Advertisement
17-10-2020, 21:29   #625
Thinkingaboutit

Quote:
Originally Posted by monara View Post
A lovely parable but I'm not sure I know what it means. Were all those gathered from the streets in wedding garments? And if someone came inappropriately clad why punish him by binding his hands and feet? He was responding to an invitation after all and no host would have the right to punish any invitee in this way.
The final sentence is absurd. Many invited but few chosen? Then why invite them? This runs counter to the modern drift towards universalism and I'm not sure if it makes sense.
This was part of the Gospel of last Sunday for the traditional Mass. The hand missal has a short commentary that the wedding garments talks of the 'scarlet robe of charity, a robe which should be double-dyed with the love of God and our neighbour,' and that if we forget our neighbour, we forget God. Those with the garment could be taken as, in failing to show the respect of wearing a wedding garment, as lacking that love, so they are put out into the darkness.
Thanks from:
17-10-2020, 21:29   #626
Thinkingaboutit

Twentieth Sunday After Pentecost

Commemoration of St Luke the Evangelist

Semi-double

White Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Pauli Apóstoli ad Ephésios

Ephes v, 15-21

F ratres: Vidéte, quómodo caute ambulétis: non quasi insipiéntes, sed ut sapiéntes, rediméntes tempus, quóniam dies mali sunt. Proptérea nolíte fíeri imprudéntes, sed intellegéntes, quae sit volúntas Dei. Et nolíte inebriári vino, in quo est luxúria: sed implémini Spíritu Sancto, loquéntes vobismetípsis in psalmis et hymnis et cánticis spirituálibus, cantántes et psalléntes in córdibus vestris Dómino: grátias agéntes semper pro ómnibus, in nómine Dómini nostri Iesu Christi, Deo et Patri. Subiecti ínvicem in timóre Christi.
R Deo gratias.

Lesson

Ephes v, 15-21

B rethren: See to it that you walk with care: not as unwise but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil. Therefore, do not become foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. And do not be drunk with wine, for in that is debauchery; but be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your hearts to the Lord, giving thanks always for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God the Father. Be subject to one another in the fear of Christ.

R.
Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

Sequéntia sancti Evangélii secúndum Ioánnem.

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Ioannes iv, 46-53

In illo témpore: Erat quidam régulus, cuius fílius infirmabátur Caphárnaum. Hic cum audísset, quia Iesus adveníret a Iudaea in Galilaeam, ábiit ad eum, et rogábat eum, ut descénderet et sanáret fílium eius: incipiébat enim mori. Dixit ergo Iesus ad eum: Nisi signa et prodígia vidéritis, non créditis. Dicit ad eum régulus: Dómine, descénde, priúsquam moriátur fílius meus. Dicit ei Iesus: Vade, fílius tuus vivit. Crédidit homo sermóni, quem dixit ei Iesus, et ibat. Iam autem eo descendénte, servi occurrérunt ei et nuntiavérunt, dicéntes, quia fílius eius víveret. Interrogábat ergo horam ab eis, in qua mélius habúerit. Et dixérunt ei: Quia heri hora séptima relíquit eum febris. Cognóvit ergo pater, quia illa hora erat, in qua dixit ei Iesus: Fílius tuus vivit: et crédidit ipse et domus eius tota.
R.
Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel
Continuation of the Holy Gospel according to John
John iv, 46-53

A t that time, there was a certain royal official whose son was lying sick at Capharnaum. When he heard that Jesus had come from Judea into Galilee, he went to Him and besought Him to come down and heal his son, for he was at the point of death. Jesus therefore said to him, Unless you see signs and wonders, you do not believe. The royal official said to Him, Sir, come down before my child dies. Jesus said to him, Go your way, your son lives. The man believed the word that Jesus spoke to him, and departed. But even as he was now going down, his servants met him and brought word saying that his son lived. He asked of them therefore the hour in which he had got better. And they told him, Yesterday, at the seventh hour, the fever left him. The father knew then that it was at that very hour in which Jesus had said to him, Your son lives. And he himself believed, and his whole household. S. By the words of the Gospel may our sins be blotted out.

The attitude of the royal official is an example of what our faith ought to be. Our Lord seems to put him off, but once again he implores Him to come and heal his dying son. Jesus does not come, but he assures the official that his child will recover. And, the man believed the word that Jesus had spoken to him,’ although only some time later did h learn that the miracle had happened.

The Saint Jerome Sunday Missal with liturgical commentary, edited by Reverend Thomas B. McDonough S.T.L. J.D. and Joseph Marren M.A., English edition edited by Dr. J. Molloy, Ph.D. Virtue and Company, Limited, London, 1966, p. 283.
Thanks from:
18-10-2020, 19:05   #627
Manach

Twenty-ninth Sunday in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 145

Gospel
MT 22:15-21
The Pharisees went off
and plotted how they might entrap Jesus in speech.
They sent their disciples to him, with the Herodians, saying,
"Teacher, we know that you are a truthful man
and that you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth.
And you are not concerned with anyone's opinion,
for you do not regard a person's status.
Tell us, then, what is your opinion:
Is it lawful to pay the census tax to Caesar or not?"
Knowing their malice, Jesus said,
"Why are you testing me, you hypocrites?
Show me the coin that pays the census tax."
Then they handed him the Roman coin.
He said to them, "Whose image is this and whose inscription?"
They replied, "Caesar's."
At that he said to them,
"Then repay to Caesar what belongs to Caesar
and to God what belongs to God."

Commentary:
22:21 Caesar's . . . God's: Jesus evades the intended trap (22:17) with a subtle and riddle-like response. His words have several implications. (1) At one level, Jesus plays on the word "likeness" (literally, "image"). Caesar's coins could be given back to him in taxes without religious compromise; after all, he minted the coins with his own image and they were his rightful property. (2) More important, everyone has the duty of giving himself—created in the "image" of God (Gen 1:27)—back to God. Jesus implies that this higher duty is incumbent even upon Caesar.

Hahn, Scott; Mitch, Curtis. The Ignatius Catholic Study Bible New Testament (Kindle Locations 3781-3785). Ignatius Press. Kindle Edition.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion