Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-09-2020, 19:32   #616
Manach

Twenty-fifth Sunday in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 133

Gospel MT 20:1-16A
Jesus told his disciples this parable:
“The kingdom of heaven is like a landowner
who went out at dawn to hire laborers for his vineyard.
After agreeing with them for the usual daily wage,
he sent them into his vineyard.
Going out about nine o’clock,
the landowner saw others standing idle in the marketplace,
and he said to them, ‘You too go into my vineyard,
and I will give you what is just.’
So they went off.
And he went out again around noon,
and around three o’clock, and did likewise.
Going out about five o’clock,
the landowner found others standing around, and said to them,
‘Why do you stand here idle all day?’
They answered, ‘Because no one has hired us.’
He said to them, ‘You too go into my vineyard.’
When it was evening the owner of the vineyard said to his foreman,
‘Summon the laborers and give them their pay,
beginning with the last and ending with the first.’
When those who had started about five o’clock came,
each received the usual daily wage.
So when the first came, they thought that they would receive more,
but each of them also got the usual wage.
And on receiving it they grumbled against the landowner, saying,
‘These last ones worked only one hour,
and you have made them equal to us,
who bore the day’s burden and the heat.’
He said to one of them in reply,
‘My friend, I am not cheating you.
Did you not agree with me for the usual daily wage?
Take what is yours and go.
What if I wish to give this last one the same as you?
Or am I not free to do as I wish with my own money?
Are you envious because I am generous?’
Thus, the last will be first, and the first will be last.”

Source : http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/
: https://www.ewtn.com/catholicism/daily-readings
Irish : https://www.catholicireland.net/read...day&lang=irish
Audio : http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings-audio.cfm

Commentary:
20:1-16 The parable of the Householder highlights God's generosity (20:15). It refers to Israel's labor throughout salvation history and climaxes with the inclusion of the Gentiles in the New Covenant.

Hahn, Scott; Mitch, Curtis. The Ignatius Catholic Study Bible New Testament (Kindle Locations 11890-11891). Ignatius Press. Kindle Edition.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
27-09-2020, 12:00   #617
Thinkingaboutit

Seventeenth Sunday After Pentecost

Commemoration of SS Cosmas and Damian

Semi-double

Green Vestments

Lectio

Léctio Epístolæ beáti Pauli Apóstoli ad Ephésios.

Ephes iv. 1-6

Fratres: Obsecro vos ego vinctus in Dómino, ut digne ambulétis vocatióne, qua vocáti estis, cum omni humilitáte et mansuetúdine, cum patiéntia, supportántes ínvicem in caritáte, sollíciti serváre unitátem spíritus in vínculo pacis. Unum corpus et unus spíritus, sicut vocáti estis in una spe vocatiónis vestræ. Unus Dóminus, una fides, unum baptísma. Unus Deus et Pater ómnium, qui est super omnes et per ómnia et in ómnibus nobis. Qui est benedíctus in saecula sæculórum. Amen.

R Deo gratias.

Lesson
Lesson from the letter of St Paul the Apostle to the Ephesians

Ephes iv. 1-6

Brethren: I, the prisoner in the Lord, exhort you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all humility and meekness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, careful to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace: one body and one Spirit, even as you were called in one hope of your calling; One Lord, one faith, one Baptism, one God and Father of all, Who is above all, and throughout all, and in us all, Who is blessed forever and ever. Amen..
R.
Thanks be to God.

Evangelium

Sequéntia sancti Evangélii secúndum Matthaeum.

R. Gloria tibi, Domine!

Matt xxii. 34-46

I In illo témpore: Accessérunt ad Iesum pharisaei: et interrogávit eum unus ex eis legis doctor, tentans eum: Magíster, quod est mandátum magnum in lege? Ait illi Iesus: Díliges Dóminum, Deum tuum, ex toto corde tuo et in tota ánima tua et in tota mente tua. Hoc est máximum et primum mandátum. Secúndum autem símile est huic: Díliges próximum tuum sicut teípsum. In his duóbus mandátis univérsa lex pendet et prophétæ. Congregátis autem pharisaeis, interrogávit eos Iesus, dicens: Quid vobis vidétur de Christo? cuius fílius est? Dicunt ei: David. Ait illis: Quómodo ergo David in spíritu vocat eum Dóminum, dicens: Dixit Dóminus Dómino meo, sede a dextris meis, donec ponam inimícos tuos scabéllum pedum tuórum? Si ergo David vocat eum Dóminum, quómodo fílius eius est? Et nemo poterat ei respóndere verbum: neque ausus fuit quisquam ex illa die eum ámplius interrogáre.
R.
Laus tibi, Christe!

Gospel

Continuation of the Holy Gospel according to Matthew

R. Glory be to Thee, O Lord.

Matt xxii. 34-46

At that time, the Pharisees came to Jesus and one of them, a doctor of the Law, putting Him to the test, asked Him, Master, which is the great commandment in the Law? Jesus said to him, ‘You shall love the Lord your God with your whole heart, and with your whole soul, and with your whole mind.’ This is the greatest and first commandment. And the second is like it, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets. Now while the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus questioned them, saying, What do you think of the Christ? Whose son is He? They said to Him, David’s. He said to them, How then does David in the spirit call Him Lord, saying, The Lord said to my Lord: Sit at My right hand, till I make Your enemies Your footstool?’ If David, therefore, calls Him ‘Lord,’ how is He his son? And no one could answer Him a word; neither did anyone dare from that day forth to ask Him any more questions. S. By the words of the Gospel may our sins be blotted out.

In the Epistle, St. Paul insists on the unity of the Church: one Lord, one faith, one baptism.’
The Gospel, like that for the preceding Sunday, recounts our Lord’s teaching to the Pharisees; this time it is on the importance of charity towards one’s neighbour, which is really the same as the love of God. He reminds them too, of the great truth which sums up the history of the Jewish people, that the Messias, though He is his son, is greater than David.
The Roman Missal in Latin and English for every day in the year. Introduction and liturgical notes by Abbot Cabrol, O.S.B, The Talbot Press, Dublin 1957, pp 678.

PS I posted the wrong Mass, albeit with the correct Commemoration last Sunday. Anyhow don't worry. It's still a good message worth repeating. Don't be flinging around traffic cones like the owner of Damascus Gate was doing this morning, over it, I suppose a lot of business owners are at the fling traffic cones stage. Anyhow.
Thanks from:
27-09-2020, 17:44   #618
Manach

Twenty-sixth Sunday in Ordinary Time
Lectionary: 136

Matt 21:28 - 32
Jesus said to the chief priests and elders of the people:
"What is your opinion?
A man had two sons.
He came to the first and said,
'Son, go out and work in the vineyard today.'
He said in reply, 'I will not, '
but afterwards changed his mind and went.
The man came to the other son and gave the same order.
He said in reply, 'Yes, sir, ‘but did not go.
Which of the two did his father's will?"
They answered, "The first."
Jesus said to them, "Amen, I say to you,
tax collectors and prostitutes
are entering the kingdom of God before you.
When John came to you in the way of righteousness,
you did not believe him;
but tax collectors and prostitutes did.
Yet even when you saw that,
you did not later change your minds and believe him."

Source : http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/
: https://www.ewtn.com/catholicism/daily-readings
Irish : https://www.catholicireland.net/read...day&lang=irish
Audio : http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings-audio.cfm

Commentary:
The parable of the Two Sons explains the preceding question about John the Baptist's authority (21:25). The sons (21:28) represent two groups of people: the first are sinners who repent at the preaching of John (21:32); the second are Israel's leaders, who refuse the Baptist's message, even when tax collectors and harlots (21:32) respond to him
29-09-2020, 13:07   #619
monara

Glad to have found this forum as our weekly scripture group has been been discontinued because of covid.

An interesting reading. The first son seems to respond rudely to his father, hardly excusable even if he later thinks better of it. The second son is polite but has a change of heart, hardly excusable either having given his word. But my difficulty with the passage is the punch line; a distinction based on order of entry into the kingdom. I would have thought that entry into the kingdom was the important thing and that order of entry did not matter. I also think that mentioning tax collectors and prostitutes together, with the suggestion that they were, ipso facto,
unworthy of the kingdom smacks of rash judgement.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion