Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I would get the prescription at least.

Nothing worse than feeling like death warmed up and trying to track down a doctor, get a prescription and then get it filled, especially when you're also in charge of a tiny baby.

You don't have to take (or even buy) the antibiotics if you don't think its necessary but with how quick mastitis hits and how nasty it can be I'd start the process now.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Aveen

I would get the prescription at least.

Nothing worse than feeling like death warmed up and trying to track down a doctor, get a prescription and then get it filled, especially when you're also in charge of a tiny baby.

You don't have to take (or even buy) the antibiotics if you don't think its necessary but with how quick mastitis hits and how nasty it can be I'd start the process now.

Thanks will look tomorrow, I have VHI with o line to will call them tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Aveen

Hey ladies, felt much better today, went to bed extra early (after sleeping on the couch too). Anyway, no chills.today, breast not as tender, slight reddness still present but also improved. Going to see how everything is tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Hi folks, my newborn boy is 11 days old and doesn’t seem to be getting enough milk from my breast so I had been supplementing it with bottled formula... which may have upset the supply? He had really damaged the nipples which is why we had started the formula initially. I was thinking about buying an electric pump to increase the supply... any suggestions on which electric pump to get etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

LillySV wrote: »
    Hi folks, my newborn boy is 11 days old and doesn’t seem to be getting enough milk from my breast so I had been supplementing it with bottled formula... which may have upset the supply? He had really damaged the nipples which is why we had started the formula initially. I was thinking about buying an electric pump to increase the supply... any suggestions on which electric pump to get etc?

Is it sore when you breastfeed? Has baby been checked for tongue tie?
    Personally I wouldn’t bother with a pump. Ditch the bottles, take to the bed, lots of skin to skin and feed, feed,feed.

Pumping is double the work.
    Buy those silver cups for your nipples. I haven’t used them but they are meant to be great. Nipple shields can help if your nipples are damaged or sore.
    Best of luck :)

• Advertisement

Millem wrote: »
    Is it sore when you breastfeed? Has baby been checked for tongue tie?
    Personally I wouldn’t bother with a pump. Ditch the bottles, take to the bed, lots of skin to skin and feed, feed,feed.

Pumping is double the work.
    Buy those silver cups for your nipples. I haven’t used them but they are meant to be great. Nipple shields can help if your nipples are damaged or sore.
    Best of luck :)

One nipple is cracked on top and at base and the other is just cracked at base. They are sore all the time but particularly sore at the start of a feed.

Thanks for your advice ðŸ‘ðŸ»I must try the silver cups
    They haven’t checked for tongue tie - I will get this checked.

One nipple is cracked on top and at base and the other is just cracked at base. They are sore all the time but particularly sore at the start of a feed.

Thanks for your advice ðŸ‘ðŸ»I must try the silver cups

Oh gosh they must be sore. I have used a nipple shield in the past to give my nipples a break and the purple cream.

Is the baby latching correctly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

The silver cups are magic. Pumping will never be as effective as your baby at removing the milk which in turn will produce more milk (and it’s a pain in the arse). If you can get onto a lactation consultant (make sure they are IBCLC registered). Alternatively Cuidiu have BF counsellors you can contact for free. You don’t have to contact one in your area and if one doesn’t respond move onto another one as they are volunteers and busy mothers.
    https://www.cuidiu.ie/supports_breastfeeding_counsellors

Oh gosh they must be sore. I have used a nipple shield in the past to give my nipples a break and the purple cream.

Is the baby latching correctly?

One was cracked before he was born so that’s part of the problem. I got APNO cream from the pharmacist and that has helped a lot.
    I think the latch is ok but I do find it very hard to get enough areola into his mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

One was cracked before he was born so that’s part of the problem. I got APNO cream from the pharmacist and that has helped a lot.
    I think the latch is ok but I do find it very hard to get enough areola into his mouth.

One thing that was a saving grace for me when i started was the Mam nipple shields. I dont think i wouldve continued had I not gotten these to help when my nipples with damaged.

Have you tried feeding him lying on your side? Midwife helped me with that one and it was the easiest for her latch correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Sarah1916

You should definitely invest in the silver cups. They are a Godsend in those early weeks and you will notice a difference in the pain within a few hours/days. I wouldn't worry about getting a pump for now. My baby had to be supplemented with formula in the hospital because she was very badly jaundice and I also was pumping in the hosp to try and get some more out for her to top up. So I ended up renting the hospital grade pump for a month and I think I used it maybe once. We managed to completely go back to breast so I am sure you will be able to do the same.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=y--syZR0u1E

Watch this. It might help.
    :)

You could try a Hakaa (or Hakaa knock off) instead of pumping.
    Put it on the boob baby's finished with while you feed the other side. It'll catch any let down and the suction will work as a mild pumping action to help stimulate supply.

Anything you get you can use to reduce formula. You can also fill it with warm water and Epsom salts to soothe your cracked nipples. Watch you tube videos on how to attach it because there's a knack to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭ax530

I recommend Multi-Mam Compresses for the sore nipples, cannot recommend any pumps as never used much and when ever I tried didnt have success.
    When my third child was circa 3 months I got cracked nipples wow so painful fond the multi mam compresses amazing. Had tried other things also, a nurse at breast feeding clinic had said I had thrush sent me to Dr who said no.... google solutions ect nothing helped until someone told me about those compresses really made a difference.
    good luck !
    mind yourself enjoy the time with baby

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lizardlegz

Hi all, baby is 4 days old. My mill just came in today thank god. But my nipples are excruciatingly sore! I have APNO cream so applying that.

I think little fella has a posterior tongue tie. I have an appointment with Margaret Tuite tomorrow to laser it if I’m correct. I had never heard of Margaret before (Mt Merrion Dublin) and wondered if anyone has any experience of her before.

I usually only hear about the 3 well known names, Justin roache, Siún Murphy and Alan o’reilly who do the tongue ties.

Lizardlegz wrote: »
    Hi all, baby is 4 days old. My mill just came in today thank god. But my nipples are excruciatingly sore! I have APNO cream so applying that.

I think little fella has a posterior tongue tie. I have an appointment with Margaret Tuite tomorrow to laser it if I’m correct. I had never heard of Margaret before (Mt Merrion Dublin) and wondered if anyone has any experience of her before.

I usually only hear about the 3 well known names, Justin roache, Siún Murphy and Alan o’reilly who do the tongue ties.

Big congrats! Alan o Reilly was recommended to me by paediatrician in the hospital and everyone seems to rave about him.

Big congrats! Alan o Reilly was recommended to me by paediatrician in the hospital and everyone seems to rave about him.

Thank you :):). Yes he was funnily enough the only one I didn’t want to book in with! He did my daughter and I didn’t find him great. I didn’t think he was very supportive. But I do know all the midwives, Phn’s and docs refer to him. I’ve heard great things about Siún and Justine buy had never heard of Margaret at all. I’m sure she will be fine tho. They seemed very nice on the phone :)

Thank you :):). Yes he was funnily enough the only one I didn’t want to book in with! He did my daughter and I didn’t find him great. I didn’t think he was very supportive. But I do know all the midwives, Phn’s and docs refer to him. I’ve heard great things about Siún and Justine buy had never heard of Margaret at all. I’m sure she will be fine tho. They seemed very nice on the phone :)

Oh gosh!! It was a paediatrician in the hospital but my girl’s TT is very mild so doesn’t need any treatment. I didn’t need to see him. :) I suggested Siun but she said no!!
    My phn went to Siun for her own daughter.

Hi all, had anyone managed to go from bottle feeding expressed milk to breastfeeding?

My little one was 3 weeks early and losing a lot of weight even after having his lip and tongue tie lasered. He didn’t seem to be able to suck from breast and had lost 10% weight at 7 days old. Was still not gaining weight after we got home. And was still jaundiced.

Since Friday I have been bottle feeding him expressed milk. I haven’t really given him the breast as he only seems to use it as a soother and not actually take mill from me. I’m worried now I may never be able to get him back on sucking adequately as he’s used to the bottle and doesn’t have to work for his milk. He’s 8 days old today.

Any advice from anyone who managed to get baby to breast after bottle feeding? This is my fourth baby and I have breast fed before.

Hi all, had anyone managed to go from bottle feeding expressed milk to breastfeeding?

My little one was 3 weeks early and losing a lot of weight even after having his lip and tongue tie lasered. He didn’t seem to be able to suck from breast and had lost 10% weight at 7 days old. Was still not gaining weight after we got home. And was still jaundiced.

Since Friday I have been bottle feeding him expressed milk. I haven’t really given him the breast as he only seems to use it as a soother and not actually take mill from me. I’m worried now I may never be able to get him back on sucking adequately as he’s used to the bottle and doesn’t have to work for his milk. He’s 8 days old today.

Any advice from anyone who managed to get baby to breast after bottle feeding? This is my fourth baby and I have breast fed before.

No I didn’t have any success with my first child but have you looked at the medela nursing supplementary system?
    I found pumping such hard work tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I know that struggle! Squish your nipple between your fingers so it’s as flat as you can get it, then cram as much of it in as possible. Get him checked for ties, and look into shields while your nipples heal.

Above all else! I ebf my first for a year and i’m Still waiting on my medal. The MOST IMPORTANT thing is that your baby is fed. If you need to lean on formula for a while, do; it will not harm your child.

I think I have a Medela pump. Personally I found it harder on my nipples than the baby was, but it was good to have a stash in the freezer.

Take it easy on yourself, you are a good mother. Cracked nipples can be agonising; No one would expect you to run a marathon with a broken leg. If you need a crutch for a little while use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Hi everyone. Currently feeding my 5 day old. Milk came in yesterday and seem to have a great supply.

We have a weight issue where she has lots the 10% so I'm really trying to feed as much as possible. Is it really true you cant overfeed a breastfed baby?

After a very sleep day yesterday she has spent most of this afternoon screaming the house down. I can hear her tummy bubbling also. Afraid im feeding too much or maybe she has wind issues. Any tips for the wind.

Any tips or advice would he greatly appreciated.

kylith wrote: »
    I know that struggle! Squish your nipple between your fingers so it’s as flat as you can get it, then cram as much of it in as possible. Get him checked for ties, and look into shields while your nipples heal.

Above all else! I ebf my first for a year and i’m Still waiting on my medal. The MOST IMPORTANT thing is that your baby is fed. If you need to lean on formula for a while, do; it will not harm your child.

I think I have a Medela pump. Personally I found it harder on my nipples than the baby was, but it was good to have a stash in the freezer.

Take it easy on yourself, you are a good mother. Cracked nipples can be agonising; No one would expect you to run a marathon with a broken leg. If you need a crutch for a little while use it.

Thanks very much for your advice and for cheering me up. Nearly 5 weeks now, I give him one bottle at 9 and then bf the rest. He’s doing great weight wise but nipple still not fully healed but nearly there I hope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Minier81

cant26 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. Currently feeding my 5 day old. Milk came in yesterday and seem to have a great supply.

We have a weight issue where she has lots the 10% so I'm really trying to feed as much as possible. Is it really true you cant overfeed a breastfed baby?

After a very sleep day yesterday she has spent most of this afternoon screaming the house down. I can hear her tummy bubbling also. Afraid im feeding too much or maybe she has wind issues. Any tips for the wind.

Any tips or advice would he greatly appreciated.

Absolutely true that you can't over feed a breastfed baby. Laid back feeding can be good to minimise wind I believe or lie down beside her and feed. Sometimes the fussiness can be due to a growth spurt too and there are loads of them in the first 6 weeks! Offer loads of boob and you can't go wrong, try to rest as much as possible yourself. If you a sling this can help too, the fusiness can be that they don't like being put down in the first few weeks too, look up the "fourth trimester". Netflix and boob for the first 6 weeks and it all gets easier as time goes by. Sounds like you are doing a great job so far x

Minier81 wrote: »
    Absolutely true that you can't over feed a breastfed baby. Laid back feeding can be good to minimise wind I believe or lie down beside her and feed. Sometimes the fussiness can be due to a growth spurt too and there are loads of them in the first 6 weeks! Offer loads of boob and you can't go wrong, try to rest as much as possible yourself. If you a sling this can help too, the fusiness can be that they don't like being put down in the first few weeks too, look up the "fourth trimester". Netflix and boob for the first 6 weeks and it all gets easier as time goes by. Sounds like you are doing a great job so far x

Thanks for your words of encouragement.
    I've been here before on my second and the issues never fully sorted out and I switched to formula at 4months due to him failing to thrive.
    A bit upset that this seems a bit familiar. The big difference this time is my supply is good. She is still only doing meconium poos and according to Kelly mom they should have changed yesterday :(
    Have the name of a lactation consultant that I'm going to contact tomorrow so I am definitely more proactive this time.
    Thanks again, we are feeding all evening. I love this time!

I've been here before on my second and the issues never fully sorted out and I switched to formula at 4months due to him failing to thrive.
    A bit upset that this seems a bit familiar. The big difference this time is my supply is good. She is still only doing meconium poos and according to Kelly mom they should have changed yesterday :(
    Have the name of a lactation consultant that I'm going to contact tomorrow so I am definitely more proactive this time.

Big congrats! Here is a list of le leche zoom meetings this week. You can join any group. They are fantastic.

Beat of luck with the lactation consultant tomorrow. Getting good support is the best thing you can do. Remember you can also get free support from your local la leche league or cuidui too. If your supply is good that has to be a good sign, she must be taking plenty to generate a good supply.

Big congrats! Here is a list of le leche zoom meetings this week. You can join any group. They are fantastic.

Thanks for this.

Back again!
    So things have gotten worse :( we were sent to A&E by the PHN yesterday because of concerns with my baby's weight and her jaundice levels.
    Everything was ok but we now have to supplement with formula and since this afternoon the baby is refusing me. Or at best taking an absolute eternity and lots of tears from us both in order for her to latch.
    She gags at the breast and I really think she may have a tie of some sort. Had arranged for a lactation consultant to call to my house for Monday but got it brought forward to Saturday because i feel if it goes on like this for too long there will be no going back:(
    So hormonal and emotional about the whole thing. I'm willing to put in whatever work needs to be done but I need a cooperating baby!
    After that long rant just wondering if anyone here had similar experiences where their baby refused the breast but after time got things to work again?

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear you're struggling. Feeding difficulties at the start are so tough.

I combo fed my first for 13 months and dealt with breast refusal for bits of it.

Generally I treated the bottle like a 3rd boob. Right, left, bottle. Or more often, right, left, right, left, bottle, right left. He liked to bounce.

Look up pace feeding on you tube. It makes the bottle less easy and less tempting.

When we were heavy on the boob refusal, I'd often start with an oz of bottle then switch to boob. It took the big hunger off and made him calmer so he was more likely to take it. If it still wasn't working, he'd have another oz then try the boob again.

Look up videos of breastfeeding and swallowing on you tube too. It teaches you what to look for to know baby is actually drinking vs hanging out and sucking.

Try to pump or hand express as much as you can until you see the lactation consultant. Itll help to keep & build supply.

Sorry to hear you're struggling. Feeding difficulties at the start are so tough.

I combo fed my first for 13 months and dealt with breast refusal for bits of it.

Generally I treated the bottle like a 3rd boob. Right, left, bottle. Or more often, right, left, right, left, bottle, right left. He liked to bounce.

Look up pace feeding on you tube. It makes the bottle less easy and less tempting.

When we were heavy on the boob refusal, I'd often start with an oz of bottle then switch to boob. It took the big hunger off and made him calmer so he was more likely to take it. If it still wasn't working, he'd have another oz then try the boob again.

Look up videos of breastfeeding and swallowing on you tube too. It teaches you what to look for to know baby is actually drinking vs hanging out and sucking.

Try to pump or hand express as much as you can until you see the lactation consultant. Itll help to keep & build supply.

Thanks a mill, 13 month of combo feeding sounds amazing.
    I actually just figured out to give her a few mls of the bottle then to switch to the boob and I was a bit more successful so will keep doing that.
    I'm not getting much from the pump but will keep.it up for the supply.
    She is really congested so going to try nasal drops before next feed.
    Aw its just such a pity but need to adjust my mindset on the whole situation. Going around in tears is not going to help things! Feckin hormones!
    Thanks again :)

Oh gosh cant26 sorry to hear all this. You are trying your best and that’s all you can do. Xxx

Are you pumping at all? I hate pumping but I would just be afraid of you getting clogged ducts etc as you said you have loads of milk.

If you can stay in bed today with your baby and so loads of skin to skin.
    I don’t know if you have tried this but you could start a feed with a bottle and when your baby is relaxed midway try and latch them on?
    Only one more day till the lactation consultant comes :)

Did you have any progress with the lactation consultant today cant26? Hope you are getting on ok.

Did you have any progress with the lactation consultant today cant26? Hope you are getting on ok.

Hi minier, so the lactation consultant came on Saturday and tbh it was a bit of a let down!
    I dont know what I was expecting but apart from her agreeing with everything the PHN had structured around feeding schedule she gave me a few exercises to do on the baby to loosen up her lips and jaw. PHN spotted a tongue tie and lactation consultant confirmed it. Baby wouldn't latch and she didn't really show me anyway around that.
    She sent me an email later and part of our feeding plan was for baby to feed from me for at least 15 mins a side....how I do that when she wont latch?!
    I dont know, maybe my expectations were askew but felt for 200 euro she didn't tell me much I hadn't already established with the PHN.
    She also wants me to pump at least 3 times between midnight and 7am. Just felt it was an unrealistic plan when she know I have other children and have to primarily bottle feed with EBM or formula.
    We are getting thr tongue tie released early next week. I just need to keep the pumping up as much as possible until then.
    My supply has definitely dipped. I'm drinking litres of water and fennel tea, eating lots of porridge and started motillium yesterday in the hope that it will boost my supply.

That sounds so disappointing, I see what you about the 200€. Hope it is going ok. I never held much faith in the porridge to be honest but even trying it will help and at least it is good and nutritious food, you must be exhausted with all this going on.

• Advertisement

That sounds so disappointing, I see what you about the 200€. Hope it is going ok. I never held much faith in the porridge to be honest but even trying it will help and at least it is good and nutritious food, you must be exhausted with all this going on.

Haha luckily I love porridge so would be eating it anyways! Yes its been a tiring few weeks, was readmitted to hospital with a massive bleed a few days ago and wanted to throw the towel in!
    Decided to give it another week, not yielding much from the pump but its better than nothing. Baby had her tongue tie released this morning and she latched after. I was so excited! Thought the nightmare was over! Unfortunately we are back to refusal, its like her tongue is still moving thr way it was out of habit. Hopefully a bit of practice will help her with the latch. If no improvement after a week I have to admit defeat :(

That is tough going, especially being in hospital. A bit of breast refusal is probably to be expected because baby will be used to doing less work for the bottle. It sounds promising that the latch was good immediately. I would try to get back to basics now skin or skin, relax, even take to the bed or couch for hours and just offer boobs as much as possible. Try to offer the boob before the baby is due a feed. Try not two worry about the pumping volume, a baby is much better at getting out whatever milk is there and the supply will grow in time. Meanwhile for the bottle you need to give, try to pace bottle feed. Are you older kids home all day or at school or creche? Do you get a followup call or anything with your lactation consultant for that 200€??

And also trust your instincts, it is always your choice if and when you want to stop, mother know best :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Hi, has anyone got experience of getting a referral for a breast abscess in Cork?
    The usual didn’t clear a blocked duct & just finished a week of antibiotics. I called my GP’s office who said they had referred me to a breast clinic but couldn’t tell where I’d been referred to (Bons or CUH) just wondering if I have an hope if being seen this side of Christmas. (Feeding a 6months old) tia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭fits

No but that sounds very very sore. Feel better soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭FairCity12

Hello ladies. First time mum to be here!

I want to buy a breastpump. I was looking at the Lansinoh electric one. My friend has Tommee Tippee bottles and a microwave steriliser that she was going to give me. Can they be used with the pump? I heard mixed reviews with the Tommee Tippee pump adaptors - some say they can be used with Lansinoh pump, others say they can't. Please help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭fits

A lot of people speak highly of the spectra pump. I don’t know about the lansinoh. Have you had your baby already? I wouldn’t necessarily rush to buy one before baby arrives. I rented a hospital grade pump for two months after my twins came home. I then bought one second hand but rarely used it after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I’d agree with Fits that you don’t need to buy one straight away. It’s not recommended you pump during the first 6 weeks unless you are having issues with feeding and after that you may find you don’t want to. I bought a pump to pump at work when my little boy was 10 months. Used it for 3 months and haven’t pumped at all with my second (now 9.5 months). I hate pumping ... such a pain to wash all the bits and take time away to actually pump.

I have the Spectra pump - the one that is mains operated only. My little boy is 3 months old, I bought the pump second hand - I’m glad I didn’t buy it new as I don’t use it much at all. It is a good pump but they are not comfortable to use- i found putting coconut oil on the pump helps with the friction but I only use it when I absolutely have to. I can only get between 2-3 ozs between both breasts, the baby will always get more than a pump can.
    In relation to your question I use the spectra bottle to collect the milk, then pour it into a Tommy tippee bottle for storing and feeding.
    Best wishes, hope it all goes well for you.
    FairCity12 wrote: »

I want to buy a breastpump. I was looking at the Lansinoh electric one. My friend has Tommee Tippee bottles and a microwave steriliser that she was going to give me. Can they be used with the pump? I heard mixed reviews with the Tommee Tippee pump adaptors - some say they can be used with Lansinoh pump, others say they can't. Please help!

I have the Spectra pump - the one that is mains operated only. My little boy is 3 months old, I bought the pump second hand - I’m glad I didn’t buy it new as I don’t use it much at all. It is a good pump but they are not comfortable to use- i found putting coconut oil on the pump helps with the friction but I only use it when I absolutely have to. I can only get between 2-3 ozs between both breasts, the baby will always get more than a pump can.
    In relation to your question I use the spectra bottle to collect the milk, then pour it into a Tommy tippee bottle for storing and feeding.
    Best wishes, hope it all goes well for you.

Check the size of the flange. I made the mistake of buying a smaller one....omg it is a bit pinchy!! I never use it though but it has saved me in the early days when I had clogged ducts!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

I rented the hospital grade Medela on recommendation of the hospital lactation consultant. I used it for a total of 2.5 days as just to try kick start milk production, and never bothered once it came in.
    I do use a Haakaa though, about once a day, usually early morning when I feel very full. Building up a nice freezer stash already, and in the early days I had just enough to avoid formula when I spent a day in hospital.
    Baby is just one month today.
    I get about 3oz from one side each use.

Who would you all recommend for tongue tie? Baby has a very mild one, she feeding really well but I can hear the tell tale click and I think she may be taking in a bit of air. She also struggles to hold the latch during let down, mine is particularly strong though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Shelli2 wrote: »
    I rented the hospital grade Medela on recommendation of the hospital lactation consultant. I used it for a total of 2.5 days as just to try kick start milk production, and never bothered once it came in.
    I do use a Haakaa though, about once a day, usually early morning when I feel very full. Building up a nice freezer stash already, and in the early days I had just enough to avoid formula when I spent a day in hospital.

Who would you all recommend for tongue tie? Baby has a very mild one, she feeding really well but I can hear the tell tale click and I think she may be taking in a bit of air. She also struggles to hold the latch during let down, mine is particularly strong though.

Depending on where you’re based, I would highly recommend the national tongue tie centre (Justin Roche), in clonmel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

jlm29 wrote: »
    Depending on where you’re based, I would highly recommend the national tongue tie centre (Justin Roche), in clonmel

Thanks, I'm in Dublin, should have mentioned that.

Shelli2 wrote: »

https://www.tonguetieclinic.ie/

This guy was recommended to me by paediatrician and my le leche group.
    We didn’t have to go as she is feeding fine. Don’t know what hospital you went to but there is one paediatrician in private clinic in Rotunda who does the 2 week and 6 week check he is also a lactation consultant. I think I claimed all the money back with vhi €150. I think they cover up to €200.
    Killed two birds with one stone :)

I had problems with let down on middle child. It is just one of those things :( there are a few different things you can try eg laid back position or hand express a little before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Vaquita

FairCity12 wrote: »

I bought the Bellababy pump in advance of my baby as a "just in case". Its incredibly affordable compared to many others and I use it with the bottles it comes with but I know it has adaptors for direct to bag too. Its a full kit that you recieve no need for extras.
    I thought it would be just in case I needed a pump (which i did in the early days) and that id "upgrade" if i needed one longterm. Luckily, I was able to breastfeed full time from 4 weeks to 6 months and now that I'm back at work this is my work pump. V small and lightweight, charges with a USB, and is a double pump.

I would recommend getting a few pumping bras too. Again, Amazon is great for affordable pumping/nursing combi bras. Definitely function over fashion mind you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement