Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Latest poachers caught in the act?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

See you have to see both sides here. I often have this conversation with the farmers and landowners about poaching and the majority of them dont care they see deer as vermin. The ones that seem to kick up about it are the coillte lease holders rightly so they pay good money and expect results,(dont always get them) thats why I dont bother with leases anymore. Also some lease holders think they own the place, 1 farmer I know was telling me he approached 3 lads one morning on his land they drove into his field in a big range rover guns and all. He walked over and asked what they where up to and was told "where here on official coillte business" big mistake. So the man went along with it playing dumb, "what official business would that be then. Listened to some bull**** story about them having all the rights on the hill. At that point the farmer had enogh and told them to get off his land that they where tresspassing. Funny thing the man now saldy passed would have let them shoot if they came and asked first. He was a lovley man when he would see you coming back from a stalk he would have the tea pot on and sambos. Spent more time talking:D than on the hill. It seems to me now that a lot of people have there own designs on deer stalking in ireland. With possiblty of coillte on the for sale market somebody is seeing €€€€€€€€€

The hospitality you mentioned reminds me of a landowner that my friend stalks for. He gets sole rights for stalking in exchange for fox control. I went with him after foxes one evening, and remember we had to be rolled out of the house there was that much food out. You'd insult the family by not having food with them. I have also encountered the bull**** from other stalkers. They do normal people no favours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

The individuals who really annoy me are those who consider themselves legitimate stalkers but load up at dusk to head out with a lamp looking for deer or whatever else they can get a bullet into.

These trigger happy morons are destroying populations of all sorts. In my stalking area I have had no luck on the couple of outings I've had this year in part due to the huge (and I'm not exaggerating) numbers of poachers in the area. There hasn't been a time when I've been on the way back that I havn't seen at least one jeep heading out to poach.

If only we had more money to hire extra rangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Extra money...Hmmmm.
    The way some US LE agencies suppliment their budget is that they are entitled to sell off at auction seized property or property gained from the proceeds of crime.Thats why somtimes you see in some gun mags from over there these "make a fortune from DEA auctions" ads.Usually with a mad looking jeep to sex it up .

If it was done on a smal scale IE NPWS only.It would [1] raise abit of cash and [2] have a serious psyOP on anyone contemplating doing a spot of poaching.As there is somthing ingrained in our national psyche of having our property publically auctioned off.

Truth be told,I think there are enough NPWS personnel there,just that they are stuck inside doing paperwork,rather than being outside doing patrols.They even admit this themselves.:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

i wouldnt fancy being a ranger going out unarmed more than likely alone to try catch poachers who are carrying rifles etc and dont want to be caught!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

bazza888 wrote: »
    i wouldnt fancy being a ranger going out unarmed more than likely alone to try catch poachers who are carrying rifles etc and dont want to be caught!

in all fairness that scenario carries a much much greater penalty that one for poaching..remember even pointing a friearm at some one is a serious offence in ireland..In relative terms a poaching is a misdemeanor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

i understand that but id think to be affective you would need a few rangers together not one alone,you would need lots of rangers to police just wicklow!

funding would be an issue,Npaw would have to start charging for licence

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭meathshooter1

easy to put a stop to. all game dealers are required by law to keep records. if so and so has a high number of deer shot with out good reason you wont have to look far, start with the demand not the supply. a lot of people complaining about numbers down,there are plenty about granted more of an effort to get,they have got clever and have learned to adapt to the added strain and disturbance caused by poachers lamping.makes stalking more challenging In my view I get my pleasure from the stalk being able to get in as close a possible to the animals and the perfect humane shot,then the work begins.to many people interested in How Many they shoot, for me I dont care if I get any it still puts a :D on my face even if dont get any

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭clivej

It could be that the game dealers are as guilty as any. If you are not entered into the record book, as it would seem to be happening, then that carcuss has no traceability of coming into the dearlers. Therefore that dealer can trade it on and it's all profit to him.

A poachers paradise, no comeback, no records kept, the black economy at it's best.

clivej wrote: »
    It could be that the game dealers are as guilty as any. If you are not entered into the record book, as it would seem to be happening, then that carcuss has no traceability of coming into the dearlers. Therefore that dealer can trade it on and it's all profit to him.

A poachers paradise, no comeback, no records kept, the black economy at it's best.

start at demand(game dealer)and that will curb supply.But is it as bad as people are making out.personally I think its getting a bit blown out of proportion.a game dealers can be inspected any time by law and all meats must be accounted for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭rugerman

what would any of the slaughter factorys say like dawn meats say if farmer joe turned up with trailer of bullocks for the food chain without tags in there ears hed be in court the following week and a massive fine if its going into food chain it must be traced down to the wood it was shot in Hit the people who are taking in the deer and hit them hard some lads are desparate for money and thats the handiest way to make it.Car trailer and a 22magnum.If only we all could pull together and tell. coillte next year to shove their woods up there hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭arrowloopboy

I know at least 1 "gentleman" that is going to get a rest for his rifle shortly;)

[QUOTE=If only we all could pull together and tell. coillte next year to shove their woods up there hole.[/QUOTE]

put it this way we are paying them to do work for them,which in turn is saving them a ball of money and also raking in loads for them,and nice money aswell.is it value for money?on our behalve

Plenty of exellent suggestions there lads.Now isnt it time that these were passed onto the two respective organisations that are supposedly looking after deer hunting intrests,and kick it back up the chain to Coilte and NPWS???:rolleyes:
    Or will this just be another national gobbing off session by us all and nothing becomes of it?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭brianfrancis45

jap gt wrote: »
    +1 never tasted it

Jap, that's a shame - you should try it. Don't stalk myself but have a friend who does nothing else and he has a great set up with a designated temperature controlled room for preperation/hanging, TB testing- the whole nine yards. He gave me quite a bit over the season including very recently a rack of chops from a young Sika - absolutely mouth watering tender meat.

I've demolished all the chops by now:D (amazingly even the wife who is not a fan of game in general was raving about it ) but I have some meat left in the freezer from the same animal - not a whole lot but enough to do you for a nice stew . You are welcome to it if you would like to try it .

I should be heading from the City down to Mallow over the coming weekend and expecting to be passing through Macroom on the way to Kerry sometime next week so if you are any where along either route maybe I could drop it off to you on me way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

Jap, that's a shame - you should try it. Don't stalk myself but have a friend who does nothing else and he has a great set up with a designated temperature controlled room for preperation/hanging, TB testing- the whole nine yards. He gave me quite a bit over the season including very recently a rack of chops from a young Sika - absolutely mouth watering tender meat.

I've demolished all the chops by now:D (amazingly even the wife who is not a fan of game in general was raving about it ) but I have some meat left in the freezer from the same animal - not a whole lot but enough to do you for a nice stew . You are welcome to it if you would like to try it .

I should be heading from the City down to Mallow over the coming weekend and expecting to be passing through Macroom on the way to Kerry sometime next week so if you are any where along either route maybe I could drop it off to you on me way.

sound for the offer, but with work sunday is my only day off :rolleyes:
    and have a day planned hunting fox cover on sunday

ah im sure i will get a taste at some stage, really sound to offer though

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭brianfrancis45

No prob Jap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

with all the stalks ive been on i myself aint a fan of the meat :(
    if in the future i was to get a fox/deer caliber rifle it would only be used on deer is someone asked me for it.

its way too rich for my liking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

garv123 wrote: »
    with all the stalks ive been on i myself aint a fan of the meat :(
    if in the future i was to get a fox/deer caliber rifle it would only be used on deer is someone asked me for it.

its way too rich for my liking.

I find many say, Oh I don't like the taste of "DEERS"

The problem with that is many are given an old stag or Doe to CHEW on.

I have a small bit of a pricket left in the freezer that would put Lazy aged Rump steak to shame ;)

Cut it with a butter knife in one stroke

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭hunterpajero

lads i cant see how these poachers are making money with the price of diesel and bullets,surely they must be a couple of lads in it and wouldnt they have to split the money between them as well,do deer not get lamp shy if there able to take 10 or so a night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I dunno what you're paying for ammo and diesel, but at €1.80/kg and averaging perhaps 25kg per animal, it's got to be making a fortune for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I find many say, Oh I don't like the taste of "DEERS"

The problem with that is many are given an old stag or Doe to CHEW on.

I have a small bit of a pricket left in the freezer that would put Lazy aged Rump steak to shame ;)

Cut it with a butter knife in one stroke

i had it off a fella that you couldnt even call a pricket yet. but yeah i do get where your coming from when people get landed with a dirty old piece.
    i will be tasting it again in the future from different parts of the animal so im not ruling out the possibility of me taking a liking to it yet.

I dunno what you're paying for ammo and diesel, but at €1.80/kg and averaging perhaps 25kg per animal, it's got to be making a fortune for some people.

81 Euros???:confused: Is that the gamedealer price or actual shop/resturant purchase price??

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭DR6.5

Grizzly its 1.8 euro a kilo in the jacket for animals over 30kgs head or neck shot 1.7euro for animals between 20-30 kgs.

so for your average sika hind which is around 25kgs youll get approx 20 kgs from the game dealer which is approx 35 euro a hind.

For stags youd be averaging around 40 kgs so roughly 50 to 60 euro a sika stag.

dr6.5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

DR6.5 wrote: »
    Grizzly its 1.8 euro a kilo in the jacket for animals over 30kgs head or neck shot 1.7euro for animals between 20-30 kgs.

so for your average sika hind which is around 25kgs youll get approx 20 kgs from the game dealer which is approx 35 euro a hind.

For stags youd be averaging around 40 kgs so roughly 50 to 60 euro a sika stag.

dr6.5

Tank of Diesel €80-100
    Ammo €30-50

€45 average a deer, if a poacher shot more than 3 a week all utilities were paid for and the rest was profit.

If they were to exclusively night shoot and evade detection that would be feasible for someone out of work and in need of cash

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

lads i cant see how these poachers are making money with the price of diesel and bullets,surely they must be a couple of lads in it and wouldnt they have to split the money between them as well,do deer not get lamp shy if there able to take 10 or so a night?

31 deer in the trailer, 25kg each 1.80 euro a kg , ...........1395 euro .

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭doyle61

when these lads are willing to take the chance on poaching deer ild say their well capable of putting the aggri deisel into the car aswell.......big cost reduced there

doyle61 wrote: »
    when these lads are willing to take the chance on poaching deer ild say their well capable of putting the aggri deisel into the car aswell.......big cost reduced there

maybe they've no tax or insurance aswell:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭jingojonson

Most of you seem to be annoyed with poaching as opposed to to legitimate hunting yet if I'm reading correctly, many of you seem to have no problem taking upwards of 10+ deer in a season.

If numbers are down maybe its time for a little self control among legitimate hunters to let numbers recover?

In rivers where salmon are managed well its maximum 12 tags per member and a deer is a little bigger!

Seems to me theres some greedy hunters out there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Most of you seem to be annoyed with poaching as opposed to to legitimate hunting yet if I'm reading correctly, many of you seem to have no problem taking upwards of 10+ deer in a season.

If numbers are down maybe its time for a little self control among legitimate hunters to let numbers recover?

In rivers where salmon are managed well its maximum 12 tags per member and a deer is a little bigger!

Seems to me theres some greedy hunters out there!

Your first responsibility is as a deer manager. That means you must manage the herd to an appropriate number, sustainable for the environment and the available resources in order to produce the best quality deer. Now, that may mean shooting more than you personally will use, but that's your first responsibility. Not saying there aren't greedy hunters out there, but ten or so deer a year would certainly not be an effective cull in a lot of places.

Advertisement