Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest poachers caught in the act?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭GixxerThou

ballistic wrote: »
    From what I hear there was a major player (150 -200 animals a season) in the wicklow area caught.
    Thankfully the powers that be seem to be more successful lately.
    Poachers are ruining our sport. Deer numbers in wicklow have taken a serious decline. You will see a system yet where you will be given 5 tags at the start of the season and that will be it. Some believe that numbers will never recover.

How long will these poachers be put out of action for?

Will they be given a hunting licence in 2 years time?
    They will not get licences again, I hear neither of them had licences anyway, lost them already.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Deerspotter

How can they sell to a game-dealer if they have no licence?
    I thought you had to have one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I wonder how many Poachers have the section 42 etc. I know two at least up my way that in the day time are legitimate stalkers, but can change readily at night.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

and would there be big money in shooting all these deer? is it sold per pound? they must be making money on them as the result on them being caught is either jail or fine. Found it odd that a trailer held all those deers:eek: actual really odd:confused: they must of had them stacked sky high, with a tarp or something. Making a quick buck now but next season or the season after will suffer a great deal indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭terminator2

ive never even tasted venison ......anyone got a spare piece;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭ballistic

Spunk84 wrote: »
    and would there be big money in shooting all these deer? is it sold per pound? they must be making money on them as the result on them being caught is either jail or fine. Found it odd that a trailer held all those deers:eek: actual really odd:confused: they must of had them stacked sky high, with a tarp or something. Making a quick buck now but next season or the season after will suffer a great deal indeed

A sikka hind is a small animal. I believe you would fit that many in a trailer easily. Deer makes about 1.80 a kg and a typical hind will weigh in at 25 kg a stag at around 30-35kg. Thats without pluck and hocks but including head and skin. These guys will head shoot almost 100% of their animals as its easy to do at 30 yards under a lamp. So 1.8 times 30 times 200 (per year) = 10800 a year plus social welfare. Think I will go at it:D.
    This is not to mention future loss of earnings to coillte, and the tourist stalking industry and my 1000 euro I wasted on a letting that that the ****e was shot out of all summer. The animals in this case were sold to a game dealer as the poacher had a section 42 on another piece of ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

ive never even tasted venison ......anyone got a spare piece;)

+1 never tasted it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,951 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Poachers are making a living out of deer. They are not thick just brazen. Woods were poached on christmas night this year! We are not talking about guys bagging one for the table (not condoning that either) its a commercial operation that suplements the dol. They are going to ruin our sport.

Well that in my books ...brazen equals extreme thickness!!
    Thick to think you will get away with it for so long,and keep wiping everyones face in it. Thick to pitch up at your local "fence" aka dodgy game dealer without checking out whats going on.Especially THICK to even let anyone ,not to mind the whole countryside know you are a poacher,on this scale and to be caught with all the evidence to hand.
    and to do it for money as well.

While not condonable,the lad taking one for the pot is the least of our worries and the least damage to either stock or sport.

So it is really simple to sort out.More sting operations like these will smash these operations.More people convicted and fined and losing their liscenses and equipment and publshized the better.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

jap gt wrote: »
    +1 never tasted it

You haven't lived M8;) - its the best part of a hunters grill:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

A sikka hind is a small animal. I believe you would fit that many in a trailer easily. Deer makes about 1.80 a kg and a typical hind will weigh in at 25 kg a stag at around 30-35kg. Thats without pluck and hocks but including head and skin. These guys will head shoot almost 100% of their animals as its easy to do at 30 yards under a lamp. So 1.8 times 30 times 200 (per year) = 10800 a year plus social welfare. Think I will go at it:D.
    This is not to mention future loss of earnings to coillte, and the tourist stalking industry and my 1000 euro I wasted on a letting that that the ****e was shot out of all summer. The animals in this case were sold to a game dealer as the poacher had a section 42 on another piece of ground.

wow very profitable but seriously ruining the sport for others. Pity they couldn't get the Garda actual off their back sides in rural settings to do more sting operations and get these people off the lands. Someone is seriously going to get hurt someday whether walking a dog or shooting, i hope it doesnt take that to realize it, something has to be done :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

They want you to shoot feck all on a lease otherwise they can't rent it out again the following year.

I know of leases lads were told to shoot as hard as possible to get numbers down. You really have a chip on your shoulder, but you don't have all the information at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭jellybaby21

natdog wrote: »
    lads I think we should be talking about more facts than just rumours you have 180 days in the season so that would be a Deer every nite of the season seems a bit high to me and I would be suprised if a poacher would be stupid enough turn up with that amount of deer in a trailer I could be wrong.

I wouldnt think thats to high at all. I know of a lad that has a fridge unit out his back that can hold up to 40 deer and is making a living shooting them.You talk about a deer a night I know of another lad that shot 5 in a night and came back for them the next day.But im happy to say the farmer ran him and told him never to come back.Now to the lads that got caught I heard it was 16 deer they had not 31 but I dont know the full story either.I hear they had a key to the forestry and came and went whenever they wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

Birdnuts wrote: »
    You haven't lived M8;) - its the best part of a hunters grill:)

so iv heard, only one local that i know of that stalks and he is a tool, hopefully in the next year or so i will have the funds to get into it

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭seoirse1980

They want you to shoot feck all on a lease otherwise they can't rent it out again the following year.

I can only speak from my experience. I took a lease this year for the first time. It was in a large forest in wicklow with plenty of deer. Which was one of the reasons i took it , as I wanted a good seasons shooting as last year was terrible on my private leases due to poaching. I was told that I could come as often as I liked but in the first month I shot 4 deer and was told to "calm it down a bit"!

My deer shooting barely covers my diesel, I do it for the sport and as part of an overall cull plan. It's rediculous to have lads in to cull deer, give them a fistfull of deer for the season, take they're money and have lads poach the life out of the same wood at night fall.

On a safety point I went out for an evening stalk the other evening. I was at the edge of a wood and no more than 200 yards from me a shot rang out. I retreated the opposite way to in case he went for a follow up shot. I didn't lay eyes on him as he was gone before I circled around. If I catch him again I'll sit on him until the Gards come!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

I can only speak from my experience. I took a lease this year for the first time. It was in a large forest in wicklow with plenty of deer. Which was one of the reasons i took it , as I wanted a good seasons shooting as last year was terrible on my private leases due to poaching. I was told that I could come as often as I liked but in the first month I shot 4 deer and was told to "calm it down a bit"!

My deer shooting barely covers my diesel, I do it for the sport and as part of an overall cull plan. It's rediculous to have lads in to cull deer, give them a fistfull of deer for the season, take they're money and have lads poach the life out of the same wood at night fall.

On a safety point I went out for an evening stalk the other evening. I was at the edge of a wood and no more than 200 yards from me a shot rang out. I retreated the opposite way to in case he went for a follow up shot. I didn't lay eyes on him as he was gone before I circled around. If I catch him again I'll sit on him until the Gards come!!

re:bold
    without wanting to sound melodramatic this may not be the best course of action if A) you mean literally sit on him you would probably have to assault him first and he may be likely to fight back or possibly use his firearm against you afterall hes there illegally in the first place, and chances are you'd get time before he would for assaulting him
    if B) you mean keep an eye on him till the guards arrive, your in rural wicklow i assume, they would take ages you would probably have to follow him which i have said previously may risk you being shot at by this particular 4rs3hol3!!!

if you could just get his reg plate without risking yourself and report it, let plod take it from there

just my 2 cents, whilst i appreciate it must be infuriating to be doing things by the book and some amadain is taking your meat off your plate!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Don't take this the wrong way lads !!
    I have never shot deer and at this stage don't know if I ever will.
    Here's the scenario;
    I walk up the woods at 11pm with my .243 ( or worse a .223 or .22lr)
    Spot a few deer and drop 1.
    Pop the deer in the boot of the jeep.
    On the way home I'm stopped by the Warden/Gardai who cop the deer in the back.:eek:
    I tell them that "I found the deer on the side of the road and it looked like somebody must have shot it"
    "I was out shooting foxes for my local farmer,Guard,honest.":o

What happens,am I prosecuted,do I lose my licence or do I get to keep the deer?
    Just a poser to get ye thinking !!

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

Or Bag a nice head for themselves /clients

The Buck stops with the Game Dealers, If poachers had no outlet then they would not do it.
    Simples
    Agree 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

newby.204 wrote: »
    re:bold
    without wanting to sound melodramatic this may not be the best course of action if A) you mean literally sit on him you would probably have to assault him first and he may be likely to fight back or possibly use his firearm against you afterall hes there illegally in the first place, and chances are you'd get time before he would for assaulting him
    if B) you mean keep an eye on him till the guards arrive, your in rural wicklow i assume, they would take ages you would probably have to follow him which i have said previously may risk you being shot at by this particular 4rs3hol3!!!
    if you could just get his reg plate without risking yourself and report it, let plod take it from there
    just my 2 cents, whilst i appreciate it must be infuriating to be doing things by the book and some amadain is taking your meat off your plate!!!

i think he means he will do what ever and as much as he can to make sure there caught. and he is dead right it will only ruin the sport as it. has been said already.

i myself if i knew where they were parked would slash there tyres and ring the warden he would be straight out that way they cant go anywhere to fast and they would be caught red handed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭clivej

Vizzy wrote: »
    Don't take this the wrong way lads !!
    I have never shot deer and at this stage don't know if I ever will.
    Here's the scenario;
    I walk up the woods at 11pm with my .243 ( or worse a .223 or .22lr)
    Spot a few deer and drop 1.
    Pop the deer in the boot of the jeep.
    On the way home I'm stopped by the Warden/Gardai who cop the deer in the back.:eek:
    I tell them that "I found the deer on the side of the road and it looked like somebody must have shot it"
    "I was out shooting foxes for my local farmer,Guard,honest.":o

What happens,am I prosecuted,do I lose my licence or do I get to keep the deer?
    Just a poser to get ye thinking !!

They have that covered
    It is illegal to have road kill in your possession

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭seoirse1980

@~~@ fella, he's an awful poacher altogether, we'll have a word"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭stick shooter

Seems like poachers live in a world of revolving doors .In questioned and back out to do as they please .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

I had a coilte let last year in the Slieve Blooms. On at least 4 occassions I saw other lads on the let that shouldnt be there, evidence of poaching during the night etc.

Rang the NPWS, told me to ring guards, rang guards told me ring the ranger :mad:

got on to coilte about keeping the barriers closed, fell on deaf ears !!

Heard from a chap that works for coilte and aslo stalks that they are told to shoot what they want just dont get caught !! In my experience Coilte dont care as long as the deer numbers are kept down !!

Heard rumours of lads getting 10/12 deer over one night then down to the dealer in the morning :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭243Xpress

Coillte just want your money.Highest bidder always wins.They dont give a f@@k if you shot one deer or 50 deer just as long as you pay them on time.I know from experience,

clivej wrote: »
    They have that covered

Questionable and grey area here.
    As deer are masterless animals,unless raised in a enclosure.
    they dont belong to the state,and they dont belong tothe lease holder either until shot and reduced to possesion.
    If you ask the council to dispose of the carcass,they get the bin men or local knacker yard to do so.This also brings in the question of lost/abandoned/surrenderd property. EG you put your bin out at night on a public road,anyone is entitled ,once it is in a public place to help themselves to your rubbish.You have given up the right to own or claim on your rubbish.So with that in mind[1] be careful what you chuck out:D and [2]if the council tell you shift the carcass to the side of the road,are they abandoning a right to ownership,if they had one in the first place??
    Would be an intresting legal arguement.
    Even at
    It would be very hard to prove that you "found" the injured deer and were [a] taking it to a vet or lease holder or ranger it died in transit and you were taking it ot any of the three.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

They have that covered
    Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Questionable and grey area here.
    As deer are masterless animals,unless raised in a enclosure.
    they dont belong to the state,and they dont belong tothe lease holder either until shot and reduced to possesion.
    If you ask the council to dispose of the carcass,they get the bin men or local knacker yard to do so.This also brings in the question of lost/abandoned/surrenderd property. EG you put your bin out at night on a public road,anyone is entitled ,once it is in a public place to help themselves to your rubbish.You have given up the right to own or claim on your rubbish.So with that in mind[1] be careful what you chuck out:D and [2]if the council tell you shift the carcass to the side of the road,are they abandoning a right to ownership,if they had one in the first place??
    Would be an intresting legal arguement.
    Even at
    It would be very hard to prove that you "found" the injured deer and were [a] taking it to a vet or lease holder or ranger it died in transit and you were taking it ot any of the three.

That covers all road kill including: pheasants, rabbits, and deer, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭meathshooter1

@~~@ fella, he's an awful poacher altogether, we'll have a word"

See you have to see both sides here. I often have this conversation with the farmers and landowners about poaching and the majority of them dont care they see deer as vermin. The ones that seem to kick up about it are the coillte lease holders rightly so they pay good money and expect results,(dont always get them) thats why I dont bother with leases anymore. Also some lease holders think they own the place, 1 farmer I know was telling me he approached 3 lads one morning on his land they drove into his field in a big range rover guns and all. He walked over and asked what they where up to and was told "where here on official coillte business" big mistake. So the man went along with it playing dumb, "what official business would that be then. Listened to some bull**** story about them having all the rights on the hill. At that point the farmer had enogh and told them to get off his land that they where tresspassing. Funny thing the man now saldy passed would have let them shoot if they came and asked first. He was a lovley man when he would see you coming back from a stalk he would have the tea pot on and sambos. Spent more time talking:D than on the hill. It seems to me now that a lot of people have there own designs on deer stalking in ireland. With possiblty of coillte on the for sale market somebody is seeing €€€€€€€€€

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

They have that covered

What legislation are you referring to clivej?

Not saying you are wrong, just surprised to hear there is such a provision.

Any ideas what laws cover this?

LostCovey

Indeed I'd be intrested in that myself which law covers that.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭stick shooter

I have never heard of a road side law like that:D

• Advertisement

LostCovey wrote: »
    What legislation are you referring to clivej?

Not saying you are wrong, just surprised to hear there is such a provision.

Any ideas what laws cover this?

LostCovey
    Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Indeed I'd be intrested in that myself which law covers that.
    I have never heard of a road side law like that:D

I read it here on this forum, so someone will tell to legalities of it.

Advertisement