Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I was told they had him in with the squad but he's returning to duty for a few more weeks.No harm having him in around the squad.He could be a very important player for us later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭megadodge

BullBauld wrote: »
    He definitely was togged yesterday and involved in the warm up. He was wearing the no. 10 jersey in Fintan Cregg's absence due to illness.

Well spotted. I didn't notice, though I only got in just before throw-in.

I'm not sure what that's all about though. He has been away for an extended period of time and will be away again, if what has been said here is correct, so how will he be in any ways sharp come championship time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Dermot Earley always kept himself in shape when away with the UN.
    He used to bring an O'Neills and kick it off the side of the barracks and go for runs out along the safe zone.

just saying

I suppose we gotta hope he is keeping himself fit and doing some training.He will have a few weeks weeks with the squad before the game v Leitrim.
    The management must see him as a big part of their plans .

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭BullBauld

I hear he is super fit and has put on a few kg in muscle. Seems to be doing everything he can to keep himself in contention so fair play.

• Advertisement

Big game next weekend v Leitrim, with the prize another shot at Galway in the wind tunnel that is salthill, where we would be huge underdogs

I expect Roscommon to win by 8-10 points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Is it not in Hyde if ye get there? Ye surrendered home advantage for the replay last year for that sole purpose wasn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Is it not in Hyde if ye get there? Ye surrendered home advantage for the replay last year for that sole purpose wasn't it.

We didn't surrender home advantage. Thew Galway GB and the Prenty Council where desperate for the replay to be in Salthill but we chose a neutral venue in McHale instead.

We could have given Galway reply in Salthill last year which would have made more sense but too late now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I wouldn't be looking past Leitrim right now. The problems we experienced during the league haven't gone away as we conceded 1-19 in a challenge during the week to Wexford, 1-14 of that in the second half. We have also lost a number of players since the league like Kevin Higgins and Tom Corcoran meaning our squad is razor thin and an injury to one or two of our starting 15 would be disastrous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

Team selection for Leitrim game:
    http://galwaybayfm.ie/mcstay-names-roscommon-team-play-leitrim/

1 Colm Lavin Éire Óg

2 David Murray Padraig Pearses

3 John McManus Roscommon Gaels

4 Niall McInerney St Brigids

5 Sean McDermott Western Gaels

6 Sean Mullooly Strokestown

7 Conor Devaney Kilbride

8 Tadgh O’Rourke Tulsk Lord Edwards

9 Enda Smith Boyle

10 Fintan Cregg Elphin

11 Niall Kilroy Fuerty

12 Brian Stack St Brigid’s

13 Ciaráin Murtagh (Captain) St Faithleach’s

14 Diarmuid Murtagh St Faithleach’s

15 Donie Smith Boyle

Subs

16 Darren O’Malley Michael Glavey’s

17 Brian Murtagh St Faithleach’s

18 Cian Connolly Roscommon Gaels

19 Colin Compton Strokestown

20 David Rooney David Rooney

21 Gary Patterson Michael Glavey’s

22 Henry Walsh Kilbride

23 Ian Kilbride St Brigid’s

24 Ronan Stack St Brigid’s

25 Shane Killoran Elphin

26 Thomas Featherston Oran

Clear lack of height and power on that 26. Can anyone explain to me why the Shine's who are both reportedly playing well for Clann are not on the panel?

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Clear lack of height and power on that 26. Can anyone explain to me why the Shine's who are both reportedly playing well for Clann are not on the panel?

Cathal was not fit enough and Clann had to get him one-on-one physical training to get him even up to club level fitness. Like with Higgins you can be a fantastic player but if the fitness isn't there you just aren't going to feature at IC because the demands are so high.

Donie had more than enough on his plate this year without IC football and could well be back for 2018. Indeed if Cathal's fitness improves he will most definitely be invited back because at 100% he is one of the best midfielders in Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

I won't name them but question marks over about 7 or that 26 if they are county standard at all. Whatever the reason Donie and Cathal Shine,Conor,Ronan and Nial Daly,David Keenan,Ultan Harney,Neill Collins,Cathal Cregg, Kevin Higgins,Tom Corcoran, and Cathal Compton is a lot of quality to be missing from a championship panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

The reasons Roscommon are missing all these players are many, and well documented (or speculated on). A lot of quality around the county that isn't in the ranks of that 26 all right, but we have to let McStay get on with it at this stage.

That team looks a little on the light side. Weather is meant to be fine for Sunday which will suit the selection. I'd be fairly confident of a win, hopefully we get one and don't pick up injuries as the squad is threadbare as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

The player availability issue is not just confined to Roscommon as one county had eleven for training three weeks ago and the understanding response from players"what's the point".The GAA seem non interested so long as the big grounds are full and can sell the viewing rights to USA,Canada,UK, Australia etc,etc.There comes a time when 32 counties cannot field teams and indeed that time is very near at hand with the standard on show so far indicates that players have little or no interest in hard training and the quality suffers.Ive spoken before about a system whereby lesser counties play for a trophy and the winner/winners join in the All-Ireland proper.How can Roscommon, Leitrim, Longford etc,etc cope with Dublin's budget of €1.5 annually it's just not feasible.The GAA have got realise quickly that the game is dieing a death and have got to react for the good of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭C__MC

Roscommon will beat Leitrim easily enough

It's division one v division four

Just looking back to the 2014 match in the Hyde and Roscommon have only 2 starters from that team which is insane considering of the 12 outfield players missing only one is over 30 in Kilbride.
    C__MC wrote: »
    Roscommon will beat Leitrim easily enough

It's division one v division four

Roscommon were relegated so its technically division 2 vs 4. Cork and Clare both division 2 sides only beat Waterford and limerick both division 4 by one point. Roscommon were division 1 in 2000 lost to Leitrim who were in division 4.

Leitrims record in the Hyde is much better than Carrick. The most Roscommon have ever scored is 1-18 which is less than they conceded to division 4 Wexford in a challenge last week..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Nothing less than a comfortable Roscommon victory here I feel.

For some reason I give them a serious shout against Galway, they will be in a perfect position going into it and with the right attitude they can definitely nick it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Always_Running

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Nothing less than a comfortable Roscommon victory here I feel.

For some reason I give them a serious shout against Galway, they will be in a perfect position going into it and with the right attitude they can definitely nick it
    If Leitrim bring a blanket like fellow Div 4 teams Waterford,Carlow did in recent weeks it could be a tricky encounter for the Rossies on Sunday.

Roscommon could have nicked it in Salthill last year but that was then and now Galway have a stronger panel while Ros are clearly weaker with all of their injuries and departures.

• Advertisement

huge turnover in players

and in other counties with better local job opportunities and better funding and facilities for the county team then lads would stick with the senior panel
    you cannot just discard lads aged 27-30 who should be the core of your team

Was there any players 27-30 discarded?
    Wasn't it mostly lads not wanting to play moreso than management not wanting them ?

There is definitely 3 or 4 if they were involved would be starting on Sunday but they have their reasons.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Was there any players 27-30 discarded?
    Wasn't it mostly lads not wanting to play moreso than management not wanting them ?

There is definitely 3 or 4 if they were involved would be starting on Sunday but they have their reasons.

i'm not going back on it, but those lads would be there if they could work and train close to the county
    and if the setup was as well funded as it has been the previous few years

the lack of a base for the county team to train is a huge issue

The training centre they have planned is also not that assesssible .Should have taken AIT up on their offer.

If Leitrim bring a blanket like fellow Div 4 teams Waterford,Carlow did in recent weeks it could be a tricky encounter for the Rossies on Sunday.

Roscommon could have nicked it in Salthill last year but that was then and now Galway have a stronger panel while Ros are clearly weaker with all of their injuries and departures.

This will be a very straightforward game.

The panel may look weaker but it is far more unified and probably more capable of putting Leitrim to the sword than last year, and certainly less likely to capitulate like the Connacht final replay last year.

Syferus wrote: »
    This will be a very straightforward game.

The panel may look weaker but it is far more unified and probably more capable of putting Leitrim to the sword than last year, and certainly less likely to capitulate like the Connacht final replay last year.
    Was capable enough to beat Leitrim by 13 points last year and if Roscommon reach this Julys final i and many others will expect Galway to beat the rossies without the need of a replay.

Was capable enough to beat Leitrim by 13 points last year and if Roscommon reach this Julys final i and many others will expect Galway to beat the rossies without the need of a replay.

I suppose those who Google results when they need a talking point might think that. Leitrim finished that game with 12 men with most of the gloss added after the sending offs.

Syferus wrote: »
    I suppose those who Google results when they need a talking point might think that. Leitrim finished that game with 12 men with most of the gloss added after the sending offs.
    A quick google search for you (might improve your memory) will tell you the game was over as a contest when Roscommon led by 10 points at half time. the first sending off was in 54th minute.

A quick google search for you (might improve your memory) will tell you the game was over as a contest when Roscommon led by 10 points at half time. the first sending off was in 54th minute.

You'd have want to read that report a bit closer before rushing to respond next time.

• Advertisement

Ros were up at 9 points at half time and were far superior from start to finish.I don't think the sending off had much baring on the result.
    Be hoping for a similar result tomorrow and think we will push close to double figures again.

Advertisement