Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today's bargain watch that I'm not buying

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

893bet wrote: »
    It’s an authorised dealer! Watches of Switzerland.

What have we been saying about this watch for ages on the forum....I hate to say I told you so.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,149 ✭✭✭893bet

What have we been saying about this watch for ages on the forum....I hate to say I told you so.....

I knew you would like that one.

They change hands on tz for 2.8-3k sterling most weeks.

The extra ten percent off on WOS makes it a good deal....I am even tempted...

Lol

Someone using my post for discount below! Own up lads!

https://www.adverts.ie/19970015

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

What have people been saying? I might be in the market for one and id like to know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Hogzy wrote: »
    What have people been saying? I might be in the market for one and id like to know

That Irish 2nd hand speedy prices are unrealistically high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Lol

Someone using my post for discount below! Own up lads!

https://www.adverts.ie/19970015

It's not me (i have the same username) but it doesn't sound like he'll accept a fair offer. If it's 3665 for a new one with 5 year warranty from an AD, then a private second hand one out of warranty must only be worth €2,800 at the very most.

I'm going to sleep on it and see how i feel in the morning, I've never tried a Speedy but worst case i could return it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,708 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

banie01 wrote: »
    That Irish 2nd hand speedy prices are unrealistically high.

Not just speedies. Pretty much all high end watches on adverts.ie are overpriced with not enough room for negotiation.

These sellers are making the same mistake that Irish car dealers made during the first few years of the last recession. They stick to their asking prices as the cars "stood" a certain amount of money. And then they didn't sell the cars (surprise, surprise), so they lost a fortune on the depreciation and interest, which of course keep adding up just with the passing of time...

Time wrote: »
    It's not me (i have the same username) but it doesn't sound like he'll accept a fair offer. If it's 3665 for a new one with 5 year warranty from an AD, then a private second hand one out of warranty must only be worth €2,800 at the very most.

Yep, at the very most. They have traded on the english websites for realistic money for years, but for some reason on adverts chaps put them up for mad money. They call them unworn even though they are out of their plastic and warranty is ticking down. I have called it out and been told I am a dickbag for doing that, but about once a week a thread goes up with people looking for a moonwatch.

Time wrote: »

I'm going to sleep on it and see how i feel in the morning, I've never tried a Speedy but worst case i could return it.

3k or so is about right.

Deals like the WOS one changes market perception how ever. Long ADs are shut the more deals will pop up from ADs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

dman..should have held out selling mine:P

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

3k or so is about right.

Deals like the WOS one changes market perception how ever. Long ADs are shut the more deals will pop up from ADs

This is true, its one of those watches people buy for what it is rather than how it wear. What other watches might we see with deep discounts to be sold online....myguess.

Omega Seamaster 300 pro...old model ceramic with wave dial.
    Tudor black bays of all sorts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

This is true, its one of those watches people buy for what it is rather than how it wear. What other watches might we see with deep discounts to be sold online....myguess.

Tudor black bays of all sorts.

I love the fit of mine? Fairly sweeping statement there. Anyway, bought mine off a regular here, €2,700. Very happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

Post a link if you see one of these :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Something is only worth as much as the lowest price you can get it for. That's the reality for sellers, the best priced AD is the upper limit.

Birneybau wrote: »
    I love the fit of mine? Fairly sweeping statement there. Anyway, bought mine off a regular here, €2,700. Very happy with that.

What was meant was that people buy that watch more happily without trying it on because its seen as a staple of any collection, it doesnt matter how well it fits if you dont like it you can flip it easy. Its a big watch really but because its a moonwatch its forgiven that. I like the fit of mine also, omegas are very comfortable. €2700 is a good price, I got mine cheaper but not that much.:p

• Advertisement

oxocube wrote: »
    Post a link if you see one of these :)

Here is a chrono use code EXTRA10 for ten percent more

https://www.watches-of-switzerland.co.uk/Omega-Seamaster-Diver-300m-Co+Axial-41.5mm-Mens-Watch-O21230425003001/p/17331037/

Good price there.

€250 with free shipping. That's a steal for a Turtle! And coming from the UK, so no import duty bill to be worried about (like if you order from Creationwatches)

Anyone who wants to buy this Turtle, but prefers the bracelet. I have a brand new original Turtle bracelet that I'm not using. I can do a swap with the rubber strap for a reasonable price, say €35?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

unkel wrote: »
    €250 with free shipping. That's a steal for a Turtle! And coming from the UK, so no import duty bill to be worried about (like if you order from Creationwatches)

Anyone who wants to buy this Turtle, but prefers the bracelet. I have a brand new original Turtle bracelet that I'm not using. I can do a swap with the rubber strap for a reasonable price, say €35?

It doesn't deliver to ireland, you need to use parcel motel, which costs another €3.50. Looks great value ..

Turtle bracelet provisionally swapped already :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Ryath

aidankkk wrote: »
    Seiko Prospex PADI SRPC41K1 only £220.

Very tempted but I prefer the ones with the crown at 4 o'clock and don't like cyclops.
    Cmw1v4BVUAA5738.jpg

Fully agree on both points, it's a mini turtle and it looks just "cheaper" than the turtle imho. Also a slightly different movement 4R35 instead of 4R36? Not sure what the difference is there, probably the date only vs day/date?

Still a bargain for what it is. You can sell that in a year or two for pretty much your full €250 you pay now, I would have thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Fully agree on both points, it's a mini turtle and it looks just "cheaper" than the turtle imho. Also a slightly different movement 4R35 instead of 4R36? Not sure what the difference is there, probably the date only vs day/date?

Still a bargain for what it is. You can sell that in a year or two for pretty much your full €250 you pay now, I would have thought.

Everything sold out now. That must have spread like wildfire around watch circles.

Looks like a good few in here got one. Thanks to aidankkk for posting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

This use to be a very popular thread a few years back. Open to correction but i think (Wibbs?) use to regularly post bargains of all sorts. If I recall we all went through the Vostok/Poljot/Luch/Raketa phase as well.
    Good one to keep going again, who doesn't love a bargain.

Absolutely. More than a few times, I pulled the trigger because of this thread :D

Thanks also goes to peasant, who started this thread. Although we don't see him around here much these days, unfortunately. I bought my first proper swiss automatic watch because of him. ETA 2824-2 movement and all, brand new for the princely sum of €210 including shipment. Unbelievable value for money that was!

And also my first Vostok. If you're still around and get to read this, peasant, thanks man.

Turtle bracelet provisionally swapped already :-)

The swapper didn't get the mini Turtle, there was a problem paying and now he is unlucky that it is sold out. So bracelet still available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

I didn't unfortunately, they didn't like my revolut card (after accepting my order and taking payment) :mad::(, and it was gone when i went to re-order.

They'll be others

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Is the mini turtle 22 or 20 mm lug width? The big turtle is 22mm. Tough you missed out there Aidan, lots more available I reckon.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Any relies in OZ? https://www.starbuy.com.au/seiko-prospex-automatic-padi-special-ed-watch-srpb99k

One Au dollar is equal to €0.56 which puts this at €238. There seems to be a clearout going on at Seiko.

• Advertisement

23% VAT on the price + shipping + insurance and a €14 or so admin charge and it is not so much of a bargain any more (unless of course you don't get caught)

23% VAT on the price + shipping + insurance and a €14 or so admin charge and it is not so much of a bargain any more (unless of course you don't get caught)

That's why I asked 'any relies?';)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I've been to'ing and fro'ing over whether to get this for the last week (aside from the fact that the EXTRA10 code no longer works on that).

Comes to 3700 or so assuming the code works / I find the same price elsewhere.

For the same price, I'd get a Speedmaster Reduced and Aqua Terra (links below). Have a small wrist so the smaller size of the reduced tempts me.

Any thoughts? Also welcome any view on whether the watches are genuine, no papers with either which is what is putting me off. The Speedmaster also seems suspiciously new and I never like the look of plastic stickers on a watch for some reason. Both are somewhat local to me so would be buying in person.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/503771030508996/

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/218025572756852/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Any thoughts?

Personally I wouldn't buy anything off Facebook. If you're buying in person how you going to pay? How do you know who you're dealing with?

Dont buy a reduced...thats not the speedmaster you want and they are super small. I had one flipped it and the guy I flipped it to flipped it, we all took pain, there is not bottom to their depreciation. Dont do it, you wont be happy with it. Aqua terra is nice. Facebook is a disaster for buying, dont trust anyone. Box and papers is not the bee all and end all but it helps. Your money is safer in a new moonwatch than both those others to be honest especially if you can buy it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

Dont buy a reduced...thats not the speedmaster you want and they are super small. I had one flipped it and the guy I flipped it to flipped it, we all took pain, there is not bottom to their depreciation. Dont do it, you wont be happy with it. Aqua terra is nice. Facebook is a disaster for buying, dont trust anyone. Box and papers is not the bee all and end all but it helps. Your money is safer in a new moonwatch than both those others to be honest especially if you can buy it right.

I'll second Miley Short Tennis on the speedy reduced. I bought one without papers for €1300 and swapped it quick sharp. The Aqua Terra is really nice but I'd buy one from a reputable place other than Facebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

oxocube wrote: »
    I'll second Miley Short Tennis on the speedy reduced. I bought one without papers for €1300 and swapped it quick sharp. The Aqua Terra is really nice but I'd buy one from a reputable place other than Facebook.

I wouldn't go that far.

I've had some wrist time with a Speedmaster Mark 4.5 and a Reduced, and I've have the Reduced over either the 4 or 4.5.

A Reduced is not a Moon Watch, and so doesn't fill the same gap.

But in and of itself, the Reduced is a lovely watch and wears nicely for me, despite liking a 42mm case.

I'd say try one on before getting one is all, to avoid the reactions quoted.

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    I wouldn't go that far.

Maybe fair to say so that 2 thirds of people find a reduced intolerably small and 100% agree that its no replacement for a moonwatch. :D

Another exspeedy reduced owner.

Troublesome and cheap feeling watch IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Thanks all, appreciate the comments on the reduced. I've never tried one but my wrists are small (6.5" or so). I will listen and hold out I think - if others bought and regretted later, could see myself feeling the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Thanks all, appreciate the comments on the reduced. I've never tried one but my wrists are small (6.5" or so). I will listen and hold out I think - if others bought and regretted later, could see myself feeling the same.

As someone one who owns a few speedmaster professionals (different types) but not "the" moonwatch I think when looking at the reduced you have a lot of other compelling watches in that size, differing value propositions etc. that makes it not a "clear cut" winner.

But in terms of a chronograph at the speedmaster size - the watch itself (without consideration of any history/space value) makes for a good value proposition (at least it did prior to Omega's steady price increases over the years).

Not a matter of regret I think - I'm sure lots of people love the reduced too - but they may think "what else can I get in this size for this money (or less?)" - whereas many of those who get "the" Speedie have never really needed to decide "what else is there that fills this want?" because there isn't much out there like the Speedie.

Thirdfox wrote: »
    because there isn't much out there like the Speedie.

508688.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,633 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

I've been to'ing and fro'ing over whether to get this for the last week (aside from the fact that the EXTRA10 code no longer works on that).

Comes to 3700 or so assuming the code works / I find the same price elsewhere.

For the same price, I'd get a Speedmaster Reduced and Aqua Terra (links below). Have a small wrist so the smaller size of the reduced tempts me.

Any thoughts? Also welcome any view on whether the watches are genuine, no papers with either which is what is putting me off. The Speedmaster also seems suspiciously new and I never like the look of plastic stickers on a watch for some reason. Both are somewhat local to me so would be buying in person.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/503771030508996/

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/218025572756852/
    no harm in having a look if they arent far from you, we all like different things and thats what makes the watch collecting so interesting, some say the reduced is too small and get the aquaterra, personally i cant stand the aqua shi77er but each to their own

have a look in the flesh and see what you think, it is hard to judge a watch without trying it on and that is also good fun

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Nice looking Seiko cocktail time on TZ-UK for GBP275

d4cd322c6d38b09bed3deb2bdf95da07.jpg

Casio MRW-200H £14.99 Amazon. Cheap beater or gift for child etc

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-Collection-Mens-Watch-MRW-200H-1BVES/dp/B005FEYBXS/

• Advertisement

Casio MRW-200H £14.99 Amazon. Cheap beater or gift for child etc

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-Collection-Mens-Watch-MRW-200H-1BVES/dp/B005FEYBXS/

Great watch, often wear mine.

£15 is the normal UK price. I got mine in Argos for €17.99 which is less than you will pay buying with Amazon. Wait till they reopen.

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9025873/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CJewellery+and+watches%7C14416987/c_2/3%7Ccat_15701267%7CMen%27s+watches%7C14417316.htm

G-Shock GMW-B5000G-1ER €245

This is of the B5000 "full metal" series, albeit with a rubber strap.
    The case is stainless steel with screwback. The majority of G-Shocks (since 1996) have resin cases with corner-screw casebacks. These models are quite a bit nicer and made in Japan.

1909281631_w640_h640_muzhskie-chasy-casio.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭fat bloke

How many non-German sales has that website lost for having "schmuck" in the title... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Any opinions on whether a good price or not?
    Would love the boba fett one, but would the mens watches be too big on a female? With 25% off at the moment..

https://www.hsamuel.co.uk/webstore/d/6008054/citizen+star+wars+princess+leia+limited+edition+watch/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

https://www.hsamuel.co.uk/webstore/d/6011942/citizen+star+wars+boba-fett+limited+edition+watch/ - this is the boba fett one you're looking at I think? With 25% off it'd be £203 - so around €233 - that's not too bad for a Citizen eco-drive I'd think - especially if you value the Star Wars tie-in.

It's a 43mm watch though - I'm a guy (with weedy wrists) and I don't like wearing anything above 42mm... here are some images of what 43mm looks like on ladies' wrists:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=43mm+watch+women&client=firefox-b-d&sxsrf=ALeKk01SWyXh3ZeT9JNUDIE-z5M2xVyGLA:1588358833706&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjF9bvgqZPpAhWkunEKHbZZA6UQ_AUoAXoECAwQAw&biw=1920&bih=966#imgrc=DoaYW-whgMP7PM

I think it might be a little too big (but you might like that style). The princess leia one at 31mm would generally suit ladies' wrists better (and men of a different era too) - see this 31mm Rolex datejust:
    https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fi.redd.it%2Fawl5q1vj3i621.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.reddit.com%2Fr%2Frolex%2Fcomments%2Fa9iynu%2F31mm_datejust_from_my_grandfather%2F&tbnid=upVxcLyCS4s97M&vet=12ahUKEwiz0YHhqpPpAhWRSRUIHZADDk0QMygFegUIARCUAg..i&docid=a0uPACvhM0_95M&w=2760&h=4032&q=men%2031mm%20watch&client=firefox-b-d&ved=2ahUKEwiz0YHhqpPpAhWRSRUIHZADDk0QMygFegUIARCUAg

• Advertisement
Advertisement