Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
10-07-2019, 08:52   #1
realdanbreen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 4,538
The glorious 12th

I see where there is a gigantic pile of pallets stacked up in an estate in Portadown which the fire service regard as a 'serious health and safety risk'. Apparently 30+ firms have been approached to remove/dismantle it but nobody will touch it. One things for certain if that was some years ago in a nationalist area the British army would be steaming in like a flash to dismantle it and anything else that was in its way.
realdanbreen is offline  
Advertisement
10-07-2019, 08:59   #2
InTheShadows
Registered User
 
InTheShadows's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 376
The extremists on both sides who build these things are complete knack bags but unfortunately there seems to be a hell of a lot of that sort of people up North.

I despise bonfires in general as they seem to be a magnet for trouble makers and general cnuts not to mention the damage they do to the environment.

Look how close it is to people's houses and blocks of flats. Madness
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-48926982

Last edited by InTheShadows; 10-07-2019 at 09:07.
InTheShadows is offline  
10-07-2019, 09:07   #3
NIMAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 20,429
Unfortunately it's not just knack bags as you put it.

We have Reverends in the north who want these things built and defend the builders. Politicians too.

It's a real classless culture. Most normal people in the world, if you asked them what culture was, would talk about art, music, drama, poetry etc. But culture to some is building a huge bonfire wherever they want, threatening people if they talk about moving it, loading it with tyres to poison the air, putting property at risk, and putting photos of people on it to express your sectarianism and racism.

Yeah, that's culture NI style.
NIMAN is online now  
(115) thanks from:
2smiggy, 4Ad, 65535, A Tyrant Named Miltiades!, ahnowbrowncow, Ak84, Atoms for Peace, Berties_Horse, Borderfox, Bradt Pitt, BrenMar, BuboBubo, ceadaoin., champchamp, coillsaille, Comic Book Guy, Damien360, DavidLyons_, Dick phelan, dmc17, Doctor Jimbob, DrPhilG, dublincelt, Duff, elfy4eva, ELM327, emmbaasee, enda1, endainoz, Filmer Paradise, Flex, floatwinner, fonecrusher1, For Forks Sake, freewheeler, FrKurtFahrt, gerrybbadd, gypsylee, Hector Savage, holyhead, housetypeb, howamidifferent, Immortal Starlight, irishguitarlad, irishproduce, Itssoeasy, J Mysterio, JCX BXC, jmreire, joe_99, Juanito13, Junkyard Tom, kingchess, klaaaz, Lackey, lawred2, LincolnHawk, lochlach, longgonesilver, LuckyLloyd, Lukekul, maebee, major bill, malinheader, mammychicken, Mantis Toboggan, Marcos, Martina1991, mbradso2003, McGaggs, Meeoow, mfceiling, mikeym, morebarn2, Muahahaha, o1s1n, Omackeral, Pataman, pauliebdub, pconn062, PCX, Pete_Cavan, pgj2015, Pops_20, Portlawslim, Pretzill, PringleDemon, rainbow kirby, Redsoxfan, riffmongous, RINO87, RollieFingers, RoryMac, Rulmeq, selectamatic, seligehgit, Sir Oxman, Skid X, Slattsy, Smart Bug, steves2, storker, Strumms, Suckler, SusieBlue, tayto lover, thefloss, Titzon Toast, Up Donegal, vicwatson, Vic_08, Vowel Movement, wiggle16, xieann, Yeah_Right
10-07-2019, 09:09   #4
Berties_Horse
Registered User
 
Berties_Horse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by realdanbreen View Post
Apparently 30+ firms have been approached to remove/dismantle it but nobody will touch it°
Let them burn effigies at the campfire. As long they're not torching cars or threatening the lives of innocents.
Berties_Horse is offline  
10-07-2019, 09:11   #5
NIMAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 20,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berties_Horse View Post
Let them burn effigies at the campfire. As long they're not torching cars or threatening the lives of innocents.
But they are threatening lives of innocents


People in Armagh have been sent a letter from their housing association telling them to leave their homes for the night for their own safety.
NIMAN is online now  
Advertisement
10-07-2019, 09:11   #6
Boxing.Fan
Banned
 
Boxing.Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 447
My Birthday
Boxing.Fan is offline  
10-07-2019, 09:12   #8
_Brian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 12,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by realdanbreen View Post
I see where there is a gigantic pile of pallets stacked up in an estate in Portadown which the fire service regard as a 'serious health and safety risk'. Apparently 30+ firms have been approached to remove/dismantle it but nobody will touch it. One things for certain if that was some years ago in a nationalist area the British army would be steaming in like a flash to dismantle it and anything else that was in its way.
Went past that on Sunday.
Mother of god it’s enormous, bigger each year.
_Brian is offline  
10-07-2019, 09:14   #9
Strawberry Milkshake
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 7,133
Isn’t that one meant to be lit tonight?
Strawberry Milkshake is offline  
Advertisement
10-07-2019, 09:15   #10
NIMAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 20,429
Do you not remember a couple of years back the huge one in Belfast city centre melted the windows of an apartment block and there was a legal row as to who was responsible for fixing them?

Let's have a look at what stuff they burn on it this year, see how inclusive these folk are.
NIMAN is online now  
10-07-2019, 09:19   #11
realdanbreen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 4,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berties_Horse View Post
Let them burn effigies at the campfire. As long they're not torching cars or threatening the lives of innocents.
It's a little bit more than a 'campfire' to be fair. It's ironic that like all these expressions of culture they take place in the poorer areas where residents are generally regarded like **** on the shoes of the people in power. I doubt if there will be any huge bonfires on the Malone road or anywhere near Nigel Dodds gaff or Paisleys house.
realdanbreen is offline  
10-07-2019, 09:20   #12
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!
Alexa, Play Liveline
 
A Tyrant Named Miltiades!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 9,377
Mod: Radio, ZTest
The Glorious 12th is in August.

There is nothing glorious about that backwater anniversary up there each July.
A Tyrant Named Miltiades! is offline  
10-07-2019, 09:20   #13
Noveight
Registered User
 
Noveight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2,557
Mickey Harte shouldn’t have apologized for the team singing ‘Ra tunes on the bus.
Noveight is offline  
10-07-2019, 09:22   #14
Mad_maxx
Registered User
 
Mad_maxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 2,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIMAN View Post
Unfortunately it's not just knack bags as you put it.

We have Reverends in the north who want these things built and defend the builders. Politicians too.

It's a real classless culture. Most normal people in the world, if you asked them what culture was, would talk about art, music, drama, poetry etc. But culture to some is building a huge bonfire wherever they want, threatening people if they talk about moving it, loading it with tyres to poison the air, putting property at risk, and putting photos of people on it to express your sectarianism and racism.

Yeah, that's culture NI style.
Journalist Peter hitchens ( not someone who would favour a united Ireland) put it well during a documentary about the North some years ago while observing a bonfire event where the tri colour was burned

" one wonders if the best way to celebrate one's own culture is by denigrating someone else's"
Mad_maxx is offline  
10-07-2019, 09:23   #15
SEPT 23 1989
Registered User
 
SEPT 23 1989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 34,613
It’s a very impressive build
SEPT 23 1989 is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet