Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Foggy windshield

Options
  • 17-12-2018 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭

So as the weather is getting cold, my cars windshield is all fogged up in the mornings, I need to run heating for 2 min or so to get rid of it.
    I tried antiFog by Rain X last year with little help.

Is there any other coating or trick to avoid getting foggy windshield?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

use air con and get a dehumidifier for the car

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Will it put alot of strain on the engine if I use aircon on cold engine?

And can you suggest a dehumidifier please?
    use air con and get a dehumidifier for the car

• Registered Users Posts: 15,847 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Get a shammey

• Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

When was the last time the cabin/pollen filter was changed?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just use A/C, turn it on full blast straight away. A/C is a dehumidifier, you don't need to buy anything else. Once your A/C is working correctly you should be golden. Probably best to just leave it on tbh.

• Advertisement

Will it effect engine on long term by any chance?

Usually I would turn on AC when car is warm enough.

I had pollen filter changed 9 months ago.
    Just use A/C, turn it on full blast straight away. A/C is a dehumidifier, you don't need to buy anything else. Once your A/C is working correctly you should be golden. Probably best to just leave it on tbh.

Will it put alot of strain on the engine if I use aircon on cold engine?

And can you suggest a dehumidifier please?

any motor factors will have a desicant type.

i would still add a back up one . it will be working away even if the car isnt used.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Will it effect engine on long term by any chance?

Usually I would turn on AC when car is warm enough.

I had pollen filter changed 9 months ago.

No it will not do any harm.

You can buy a dehumidifier, but honestly I reckon it's just a waste of money. The A/C will do it's job without any need for any extras. If you were going to spend money I'd get the A/C regassed.

Ok, will try tomorrow morning. Will set AC temperature to 25 C as I don't want to feel the cold air :)
    No it will not do any harm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,391 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ok, will try tomorrow morning. Will set AC temperature to 25 C as I don't want to feel the cold air :)

It’ll be cold air whatever you set the temp to, as engine will be cold so your heater won’t heat the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Bill nye

Also when you get a chance to, clean the car. Vacuum the mats and give the inside of the windscreen a good clean and ensure it's dried properly afterwards. It will make a massive difference in the morning.

Wet shoes from these mornings are leaving mats damp etc and this contributes towards moisture in the cabin. As suggested earlier, swap your cabin pollen filter out for a new one from a motor factors. Usually cost around €10 and simple to replace. Ensure any damp coats are removed and not left in car overnight etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Seve OB wrote: »
    Get a shammey

That's the worst thing possible for a foggy window.

The only way to have a clear windscreen is to clean the inside throughly and then never touch it again till you are cleaning it again, the fog will clear with the blower and faster with AC. Dirt/dust on the screen is what the condensation is sticking to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Just to add to the clean the car comment, it's because there's moisture in the car somewhere, a good trick I use is get the engine warmed up and then when you have 15-20 minutes, leave the car running idle turn the heaters on max heat for the feet setting and open the windows an inch or 2.

The circulating hot air will bring out any moisture in the car and dry your carpets well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It’ll be cold air whatever you set the temp to, as engine will be cold so your heater won’t heat the air.

i'm guessing the problem is the vents aren't on "screen" based on that.

I have vacuumed the mats, you're right they are bit damp.

Is it easy to replace cabin pollen filter in a Benz C class, 151 model?
    Bill nye wrote: »
    Also when you get a chance to, clean the car. Vacuum the mats and give the inside of the windscreen a good clean and ensure it's dried properly afterwards. It will make a massive difference in the morning.

Wet shoes from these mornings are leaving mats damp etc and this contributes towards moisture in the cabin. As suggested earlier, swap your cabin pollen filter out for a new one from a motor factors. Usually cost around €10 and simple to replace. Ensure any damp coats are removed and not left in car overnight etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Put AC on recirculation, close the doors and windows and it should remove the moisture from the air inside the cabin.

The windows should clear really fast as the air dehumidifies. It doesn't even need to be set particularly hot to do this. Just a comfortable temp.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

I have vacuumed the mats, you're right they are bit damp.

Is it easy to replace cabin pollen filter in a Benz C class, 151 model?

that should be done as part of the service .

That's due in March. Will wait so.

Thanks everyone
    Isambard wrote: »
    that should be done as part of the service .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

That's due in March. Will wait so.

Thanks everyone

That's 4 months of foggy windows. It should be straightforward to change the pollen filter. Check the owners manual it'll have instructions, it shouldn't require any tools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭corks finest

EdgeCase wrote: »
    Put AC on recirculation, close the doors and windows and it should remove the moisture from the air inside the cabin.

The windows should clear really fast as the air dehumidifies. It doesn't even need to be set particularly hot to do this. Just a comfortable temp.
    I'm doing it wrong so,I put AC on as normal ( air set coming into car from outside) thought that was the proper way? So after condensation evaporates,u switch AC back to normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,391 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'm doing it wrong so,I put AC on as normal ( air set coming into car from outside) thought that was the proper way? So after condensation evaporates,u switch AC back to normal?

What that’s doing is processing the air (and thus some of the moisture) in the cabin through the air conditioner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

OP, this is what would be doing.

First step is clean the windscreen properly inside (get AutoGlym Fast Glass or equivalent) and then don't touch the glass again (unless it's to clean with more glass cleaner).

Second is to leave the climate control on auto with the temperature set to what's comfortable (mine is 18C) with the a/c on. I've the recirculation set to auto also.

Third is use the windscreen button on the HVAC controls. That's designed to clear windscreens. Once clear, switch the HVAC back to auto (with a/c on)

Result is clear windscreen, always.

You have made the classic mistake of thinking a/c just chills air. The a/c also dries the air and dried air then passes through the heater, meaning warm dry air. A/c is more useful in winter given our damp climate. Using the a/c is only a small load on the engine and isn't a problem having it on after start-up (if it was,it would be in the owners manual)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Tips on how to do this if you don't have AC? I used to have it and it worked great, but now every day I have a very foggy car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

fjon wrote: »
    Tips on how to do this if you don't have AC? I used to have it and it worked great, but now every day I have a very foggy car.

Clean windscreen (use IPA to decrease) and a coating of CarPro FogFight. The FogFight works wonders. Then, don't touch the windscreen.

Make sure the car is dry and use the recirculation to dry out the air in the car

Also, never buy a car without a/c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

I had this problem, got one of those dehumidifier bags in halfords, left it on the dash and the next morning no condensation and no foggy windscreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

fjon wrote: »
    Bring it back. The AC is clearly faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

ELM327 wrote: »
    Bring it back. The AC is clearly faulty.

It's a 10 year old car with 200,000km. The aircon motor/ compressor broke a year ago and I don't want to spend the €600 to replace it.
    Before it broke it worked wonderfully though - it's just the last month I've had foggy windows.

ianobrien wrote: »

First step is clean the windscreen properly inside (get AutoGlym Fast Glass or equivalent) and then don't touch the glass again (unless it's to clean with more glass cleaner).

Second is to leave the climate control on auto with the temperature set to what's comfortable (mine is 18C) with the a/c on. I've the recirculation set to auto also.

Third is use the windscreen button on the HVAC controls. That's designed to clear windscreens. Once clear, switch the HVAC back to auto (with a/c on)

You have made the classic mistake of thinking a/c just chills air. The a/c also dries the air and dried air then passes through the heater, meaning warm dry air. A/c is more useful in winter given our damp climate. Using the a/c is only a small load on the engine and isn't a problem having it on after start-up (if it was,it would be in the owners manual)
    Thank you,cleared up that.

• Advertisement

ianobrien wrote: »

Thank you,cleared up that.
    No, sticking it on recirc will make it worse if anything - remember that the air you breathe out is humidified with lung-juice (ick!)more conflict ING information I just copy and pasted from some car advice forum,I dunno

Advertisement