Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Foggy windshield

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,415 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The only time I’d ever use the recirc feature is in heavy traffic, or if it’s particularly dusty, or if it’s really freezing outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The only time I’d ever use the recirc feature is in heavy traffic, or if it’s particularly dusty, or if it’s really freezing outside.

me too or driving past a really smelly place

• Registered Users Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

fjon wrote: »
    It's a 10 year old car with 200,000km. The aircon motor/ compressor broke a year ago and I don't want to spend the €600 to replace it.
    Before it broke it worked wonderfully though - it's just the last month I've had foggy windows.

Dry out car completely by cleaning out and airing mats and car.

Clean windscreen once car is dry.

Get cat litter. Put in a sock under seat. Change regularly. Or better yet on of those wee block dehumidifiers.

Also cannot for thr life of me understand those who are forever messing about with settings when they have climate control.

Push auto. Find the temp you like. Never touch again.

In mornings push the front window demist button to blast the front window.

My father, my wife and my boss are 3 drivers who cannot just do this.

Wife drives me demented messing with temp. Gets in....up, 5 mins later down too far. eventually it's right but keeps slowing it or speeding it up. Turns off air con to save fuel....she only does 10k a year. Aaargh

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

and for those times wehen it's particularly fogged up and you need to leave in a hurry...get a small squeegy for inside the car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,415 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

peasant wrote: »
    and for those times wehen it's particularly fogged up and you need to leave in a hurry...get a small squeegy for inside the car
    911145-E4-9-C67-42-E3-8216-95-A07-AE187-CD.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,661 ✭✭✭corks finest

Ah now oriel park isn't that bad,,,,,,is it?

fjon wrote: »
    It's a 10 year old car with 200,000km. The aircon motor/ compressor broke a year ago and I don't want to spend the €600 to replace it.
    Before it broke it worked wonderfully though - it's just the last month I've had foggy windows.

Dry out car completely by cleaning out and airing mats and car.

Clean windscreen once car is dry.

Get cat litter. Put in a sock under seat. Change regularly. Or better yet on of those wee block dehumidifiers.
    Heard about the cat litter alright

• Registered Users Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Thanks for the coincise and detailed response.

I will get AutoGlym Fast Glass this weekend and also a demister block for car.

I don't leave climate control on auto due to 2 reasons: strain on cold engine and economy on long term, which I think are false assumptions :)

I am not familiar with recirculation button, I will send a photo of my control panel tomorrow.

Many thanks everyone!! 😊
    ianobrien wrote: »
    OP, this is what would be doing.

First step is clean the windscreen properly inside (get AutoGlym Fast Glass or equivalent) and then don't touch the glass again (unless it's to clean with more glass cleaner).

Second is to leave the climate control on auto with the temperature set to what's comfortable (mine is 18C) with the a/c on. I've the recirculation set to auto also.

Third is use the windscreen button on the HVAC controls. That's designed to clear windscreens. Once clear, switch the HVAC back to auto (with a/c on)

Result is clear windscreen, always.

You have made the classic mistake of thinking a/c just chills air. The a/c also dries the air and dried air then passes through the heater, meaning warm dry air. A/c is more useful in winter given our damp climate. Using the a/c is only a small load on the engine and isn't a problem having it on after start-up (if it was,it would be in the owners manual)

I don't leave climate control on auto due to 2 reasons: strain on cold engine and economy on long term, which I think are false assumptions :)

I am not familiar with recirculation button, I will send a photo of my control panel tomorrow.

Many thanks everyone!! 😊

Long term it may be better for fuel economy once you are turning off the aircon. But I don't know how much and I personally leave on at all times.

Strain on engine? It's an electric fan and electric aircon unit. Doubt it's any particular strain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭huberto

Pingi Car Dehumidifier - less than a tenner from Amazon. Our Hyundai, like a previous Hyundai, used to be awash with condensation in cold weather.
    Got one of these and there’s no longer a problem. An indicator tells you every few weeks when it’s ‘full’, then stick it in the microwave for a couple of minutes and it’s ready to go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

and it's bloody noisier too

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The load on the engine to drive the aircon compressor is minuscule compared to what's required to actually move the car, I wouldn't worry about that at all. Being able to see out the windscreen is much more important than fuel consumption, and you'll probably barely notice a difference anyway.

Setting climate control to auto should automatically direct the vents to the windscreen when cold.

Don't use recirculate if you want to clear the windscreen, fresh air is faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Many thanks everyone!! ��

No point in having A/C with windscreen functions if you don't use them.

Makes zero difference to the engine, economy maybe be a tiny amount (but more in hot weather than cold imho), and on auto probably no difference.

There again, why buy a car with a/c if you're not using it ??

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

What do you use if the smelly place is originating inside the car though, smithwicks and kebab emissions :D

Weather was good this morning and didn't notice any significant fog.

Will try to get Pingi Car Dehumidifier as mentioned in the above post, thanks!

Here is the picture of the controllers. Do I leave it on Auto? And what's the use of the symbol "arrow within the car"?

2exra00.jpg

Here is the picture of the controllers. Do I leave it on Auto? And what's the use of the symbol "arrow within the car"?

2exra00.jpg
    Starship enterprise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Rub washing up liquid onto the glass and polish until clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

2exra00.jpg

Leave it on auto for normal use, hit MAX when clearing your windscreen if it's bad enough.

"Arrow within the car" is recirculating air, wouldn't bother with that for most scenarios.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

Found water hiding inside the rim of my spare tyre when I had a similar issue.

• Advertisement

Zatoichi wrote: »
    Found water hiding inside the rim of my spare tyre when I had a similar issue.
    Get the drill out

Got it customised for my sci-fi feelings :P
    Starship enterprise?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Nixonbot wrote: »
    Leave it on auto for normal use, hit MAX when clearing your windscreen if it's bad enough.
    Yes, that button is for demisting the windscreen. It should work in seconds, otherwise you may have a problem with damp in your car (or blocked pollen filter, etc.).
    "Arrow within the car" is recirculating air, wouldn't bother with that for most scenarios.

It could be more effective for attempting to dry out the car, but it will take longer to clear the glass. On a hot day it may be more effective to start with recirculation on to cool down the cabin - but "Auto" may do this automatically anyway.

Advertisement