Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evictions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Land Registry records for the Falsk property also show that more than €18,000 was secured in a judgment in December 2008, which was subsequently registered against his property.

That judgment was obtained by a local company which operated a quarry at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭l5auim2pjnt8qx

gctest50 wrote: »
    Co. Roscommon farmer Anthony McGann is the farmer with the largest figure on the tax defaulters list.

Anthony McGann has a penalty of €177,388.00 by the Revenue commissioners for under-declaration of VAT.

In total the farmer, from Mount Brown, Strokestown owes a total of €429,501.00 to the Revenue

So what he had debts , I didn't see the Brian O'Donnell from Gorse Hill with debts over 71 million get dragged out of his home or get arrested when he went in to Bank of Ireland and threw the keys at chief executive Richie Boucher.

We have a court system to deal with bad debts and jail if necessary when did in become ok for the state to inact vigilante style behaviour on its citizens.
    "It's a Breach of Citizens Rights" that has happened.

If it was your mother or father getting dragged out would you be in agreement of this shocking brutality.

From the very article you linked :

FYI : his brother and sister and the retired Gardai (63) in there sixties.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,248 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

So what he had debts , I didn't see the Brian O'Donnell from Gorse Hill with debts over 71 million get dragged out of his home or get arrested when he went in to Bank of Ireland and threw the keys at chief executive Richie Boucher.

We have a court system to deal with bad debts and jail if necessary when did in become ok for the state to inact vigilante style behaviour on its citizens.

If it was your mother or father getting dragged out would you be in agreement of this shocking brutality.

Most people know when the game is over and they're beaten. If it were me, it would have been a hard day sure, but I would've walked out the gate before I was thrown.

It's hard to lose possession of something you've had all your life, but if you put it up as collateral that's a risk you're taking.

O'Donnell gave up the house peacefully in the end and complied with the court order.

They've been to court. Court said : Out

What exact right was breached ?

• Advertisement

Most people know when the game is over and they're beaten. If it were me, it would have been a hard day sure, but I would've walked out the gate before I was thrown.

It's hard to lose possession of something you've had all your life, but if you put it up as collateral that's a risk you're taking.

Are you in agreement that some developers that still to this day are getting paid 100k to look after homes they couldn't sell.....was it not the same for them the game was up but changed to continue a new game.

FYI : his brother and sister and the retired Gardai (63) in there sixties.

So a 50 year old criminal loaded as many ~63 year olds as he could find into a house

Co. Roscommon farmer Anthony McGann is the farmer with the largest figure on the tax defaulters list.

Anthony McGann has a penalty of €177,388.00 by the Revenue commissioners for under-declaration of VAT.

In total the farmer, from Mount Brown, Strokestown owes a total of €429,501.00 to the Revenue

They've been to court. Court said : Out

What exact right was breached ?

A Retired Gardai has made a statement he was assaulted by the group enforcing the eviction.

Vigilante Law and Legal Definition. A vigilante is someone who takes law enforcement into their own hands.

They'd been to court

That house belongs to Cabot or similar

The criminal was trespassing

So a 50 year old criminal loaded as many ~63 year olds as he could find into a house

Senseless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I didn't see the Brian O'Donnell from Gorse Hill with debts over 71 million get dragged out of his home.

Brian O'Donnell left at the last minute before he had to be dragged out. If you know it's going to happen, why let yourself be dragged out.

The best thing they could have done last Tuesday was to walk out of the property when the eviction was taking place.

Senseless

Indeed it is, he seemed to be trying some VAT fiddle and hoped he'd get away

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

I think most right minded people would agree that the scenes were ugly. I also think most right minded people would realise that it needn't have been ugly had the occupants complied with the court order and left before the sheriff turned up.

I noted from the video that the security guys had bodycams so, I'm going to hazard a guess that nothing will come from the allegations against them.

Effects wrote: »
    Brian O'Donnell left at the last minute before he had to be dragged out. If you know it's going to happen, why let yourself be dragged out.

The best thing they could have done last Tuesday was to walk out of the property when the eviction was taking place.

The last option in this country is to throw someone out of there home let alone other members of the family , there is no mention the family were allowed to Appeal this outrageous decisions or now an assumption he was tax fiddling , which is now being implied .

• Registered Users Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The last option in this country is to throw someone out of there home let alone other members of the family , there is no mention the family were allowed to Appeal this outrageous decisions or now an assumption he was tax fiddling , which is now being implied .
    It's more than being applied, it is confirmed and accurate.

The house was not his property any longer, it was repossessed in accordance with the law of the land. If you don't like the law of the land then go live somewhere else (where the house will be taken quicker than here anyway).

Evictions are not nice for anyone but if you don't pay your mortgage or you secure debt on your house then you have to be prepared for the worst. If I didnt pay my mortgage I'd expect to be evicted.

ELM327 wrote: »
    It's more than being applied, it is confirmed and accurate.

The house was not his property any longer, it was repossessed in accordance with the law of the land. If you don't like the law of the land then go live somewhere else (where the house will be taken quicker than here anyway).

Evictions are not nice for anyone but if you don't pay your mortgage or you secure debt on your house then you have to be prepared for the worst. If I didnt pay my mortgage I'd expect to be evicted.

The law of the Land appears quite obscured at the moment, " I would ask individuals posters what they thought of this http://www.thejournal.ie/gorse-hill-odonnells-2010126-Mar2015/ http:/and could see why people are confused about the so called Law for some and not for others in society and also why certain debtors are getting millions cleared of property debt only to buy back the same property for less from Nama.

Other Avenues should have been explored regardless how annoying it is instead of a vigilante mob dragging and assaulting senior citizens.Rightminded individuals would not have to question this the answer should be clear.

He appealed the court decision and therefore was allowed to stay in the property while the appeal was heard?

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Sean.3516

4ensic15 wrote: »
    The security guards violently assaulted people to take possession of the property. What right had they got to do that? What goes around comes around.

No violent assault took place in that repossession. Watch the video. Physically restraining people and removing them from a property they have no right to be on is not assault. And the security guards carried this out under Garda supervision which is fine by me.

Even if an assault did take place, that’s no reason for a mob of idiots to return to the house and assault the 8 men. They’re the real scum bags in this issue. I don’t see why it matters that the men work for a company founded by a man with links to the UDA either.

Sean.3516 wrote: »
    No violent assault took place in that repossession. Watch the video. Physically restraining people and removing them from a property they have no right to be on is not assault. And the security guards carried this out under Garda supervision which is fine by me.

Even if an assault did take place, that’s no reason for a mob of idiots to return to the house and assault the 8 men. They’re the real scum bags in this issue. I don’t see why it matters that the men work for a company founded by a man with links to the UDA either.

Are you saying that the retired Garda Kevin taylor is lying that he didn't get get assaulted punched 20/30 times.

I would also like to think if I got into difficulty with mortgage that I would't want to be treated in this inhumane fashion that I live in a Democracy not a Dictatorship and I wouldn't have to leave the country or question my humanity...sickening

Are you saying that the retired Garda Kevin taylor is lying that he didn't get get assaulted punched 20/30 times.

We'll see what the Gardai say I guess, when they review the bodycams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Sean.3516

I’m saying there is no evidence to support him. It can’t be seen in the video. And if a beating that bad was occurring don’t you think the supervising Gardaí would have intervened?

I’m saying there is no evidence to support him. It can’t be seen in the video. And if a beating that bad was occurring don’t yt begs other ou think the supervising Gardaí would have intervened?

Yes I would have expected the gardai to intervene )see my early posts...makes it even more questionable.people need protecting in a society especially senior citizens if the law turns a blind eye -people and communities will make sure it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

They are paying what they can though - financial difficulty can hit us all unexpectedly. The "won't pays" aren't paying anything.

Personal responsibility means you should have an emergency fund set up to cover 6 months living costs.

I wonder how you would feel if you were renting a house to a tenant and they had "financial difficulties". Would you let them live there rent free?

Same thing with a mortgage. Let the house be repossessed and let someone who wants to live in it and pay a mortgage have it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Nobody on here can say whether this did or didn't happen. We need for the garda investigation to view the footage and confirm it or drop it.
    However, he wouldn't be the first Garda Taylor to have made things up!
    I would also like to think if I got into difficulty with mortgage that I would't want to be treated in this inhumane fashion that I live in a Democracy not a Dictatorship and I wouldn't have to leave the country or question my humanity...sickening
    You mean that you'd like a fair hearing process and accept the outcome or would you ignore the outcome?
    The same inhumane and sickening descriptions could be placed against the mob of vigilantes!

Hah, I thought the same.

Nobody on here can say whether this did or didn't happen. We need for the garda investigation to view the footage and confirm it or drop it.

You mean that you'd like a fair hearing process and accept the outcome or would you ignore the outcome?
    The same inhumane and sickening descriptions could be placed against the mob of vigilantes!

A garda investigation didn;t find Maurice McCabe innocent a Tribunal did.

Garda investigating themselves doesn't lean to a fair hearing ,why do you think so?

A garda investigation didn;t find Maurice McCabe innocent a Tribunal did.

Garda investigating themselves doesn't lean to a fair hearing ,why do you think so?

Im confused by this.......... What are you trying to say?

Askthe EA wrote: »
    Hah, I thought the same.

So your implying he's lying

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

And the security guards carried this out under Garda supervision which is fine by me.

It is not the job of the Garda to supervise evictions, or did they. The Garda took part in facilitating an eviction by blocking roads and then ostensibly being present to ensure there was no breach of the peace did not intervene in an assault. GSOC are investigating. When someone refuses to vacate a dwelling or other premises the owner gets an injunction and if the person defies the injunction the owner has them brought before the court for contempt. If they refuse to vacate they are arrested by the Garda and brought to court and then to jail. that is the civilised way to do it. What was done in Roscommon by those bank hired thugs has no place in a civilised country. Nobody will buy that place from the bank after this. How could a new owner sleep there in peace?

• Advertisement

So your implying he's lying

No. I meant I thought it was the same Garda.

Advertisement