Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stand With Eamon Dunphy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Really enjoyed three Pascal Donohue pod. Great to hear a new voice on Brexit. Thought he spoke very well. Almost tempted to give the latest Brexit Boy pod a listen after seeing in here that Eamon asked a few tough questions for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Looking forward to Stanage on the latest Trump Denmark /Greenland stuff. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Genghis

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Looking forward to Stanage on the latest Trump Denmark /Greenland stuff. :)

Stanage is always brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Just listened to his interview with Stephen Teap about cervical check powerful stuff.

Say what you want about Dunphy but you can't say he doesn't care about stories like these

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

He can annoy me a bit with his interview technique, always interrupts guests right when they are in their flow.
    Also his questions tend to be long winded and blustery...the whole point of having an expert is to let them discuss the matter on hand.

Case in point with the History lecturer from UCD, his name escapes me now, but spent the first couple of minutes trying to signify how Brexit is the biggest thing to happen in Ireland in modern times excluding WW2 and asking the guest was he right in this assertion. Yes Eamon, we are all hugely aware of how big and important Brexit, now can we get onto the important stuff of what is happening with it currently and the impacts this has and not trying to place it in a historical ranking of big events!

Despite this, really enjoy the podcasts in the main and look forward to listening to the majority of them.
    Still due a Niall Stanage update this week which is always a highlight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭jaykay74

I haven't listened yet but chat with Stanage re Greenland is up now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Just listened to his interview with Stephen Teap about cervical check powerful stuff.

Say what you want about Dunphy but you can't say he doesn't care about stories like these

Hoping to go for a cycle after work, will listen to that during my spin. He comes into his own in those interviews, because his compassion is genuine and authentic.

Brendan O'Neill get more hilarious with each interview, his tinfoil hat ramblings are comedy gold.
    No matter how much more of a cluster f**k Brexit becomes with each passing week, this loon simply will not even countenance the notion that Brexit was a bad idea. Dunphy needs to call him out on it, I dont know how he can let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,621 ✭✭✭Cartman78

The Stephen Teap interview is excellent....heartbreaking, shocking, sad & horrifying in equal measures and brilliantly handled by Dunphy - there is nothing else like this available in the Irish media (as far as I know :confused:)

All of which makes Dunphy's ongoing fascination/indulgence with that Brexit flute even more frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Eamo calling Trump a tramp was definitely a highlight today.... though his fawning over Chris Wallace was excessive....

• Advertisement

Finding the football podcasts more and more tedious to listen to, they always follow a similar pattern

"John/Liam, you played with some great players *lists some random players they played with*...I think X is great, where does he feature amongst the great players" - Van Dijk and Aguero recently
    "Pogba is a disgrace"
    "Man City have a poor defence"
    "David Luiz is a spoofer"
    "Pochettino has worked miracles with no money"

Now I'm not saying they are valid discussion points, but to have the same conversation points every week just gets boring - end up skipping a good chunk as I know exactly what they are going to say.
    Liam even said it at one point in the latest one "we have mentioned this on the past number of podcasts Eamon"

Giles was a great, love listening to him on things like the Jack Charlton one recently, but his days analysing modern football are finished surely.
    He picks a quote from the paper and reels it off each podcast. Last year it was Mourinho on Pogba "He is the complete midfield player".
    This year it seems to be Poch "I'm the coach, don't call me the manager".

Obrieski wrote: »
    Finding the football podcasts more and more tedious to listen to, they always follow a similar pattern

"John/Liam, you played with some great players *lists some random players they played with*...I think X is great, where does he feature amongst the great players" - Van Dijk and Aguero recently
    "Pogba is a disgrace"

Now I'm not saying they are valid discussion points, but to have the same conversation points every week just gets boring - end up skipping a good chunk as I know exactly what they are going to say.
    Liam even said it at one point in the latest one "we have mentioned this on the past number of podcasts Eamon"

Giles was a great, love listening to him on things like the Jack Charlton one recently, but his days analysing modern football are finished surely.
    He picks a quote from the paper and reels it off each podcast. Last year it was Mourinho on Pogba "He is the complete midfield player".

Yeah, I'll still listen, but you're totally right.. You could say the football pods are a one trick pony with a really good trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭franglan

If you like heavy breathing and Frano's gasping at Eamo's comments and interruptions you'll like the latest podcast!

Obrieski wrote: »

"Pogba is a disgrace"

Extraordinarily stale !

Extraordinarily stale !

Second captains is a much better listen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Still Ill wrote: »
    Yeah, I'll still listen, but you're totally right.. You could say the football pods are a one trick pony with a really good trick.

You could say the same for most football podcasts, the same tired clichés week after week after week.

franglan wrote: »
    If you like heavy breathing and Frano's gasping at Eamo's comments and interruptions you'll like the latest podcast!

Another poor guest in my opinion. Unfortunately had read this comment first so all I could hear was his heavy breathing and slow responses. I wouldn’t be inviting him in to give a motivational talk or after dinner speech that’s for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

franglan wrote: »
    Desperate stuff altogether, think Dunphy was trying to get more out of him in fairness but Frano sounded like he wanted to be anywhere else

riemann wrote: »
    You could say the same for most football podcasts, the same tired clichés week after week after week.

live commentary being even more repetitive and cliche-ridden.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Desperate stuff altogether, think Dunphy was trying to get more out of him in fairness but Frano sounded like he wanted to be anywhere else

Frano sounds like that on good days to be fair !!

Would the contributors be getting a few quid do you think? I don’t see what else they get out of it

• Advertisement

Yeah, they definitely get paid to contribute. No idea how much though.

The recent one with colm toibin was gas, dunphy seemed asleep at the start, then cuts in to basically turn the conversation 180 degrees, to get toibin back on point. Good lord they man can ramble on! Dunphy seemed to have little or no interest at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭NeonWolf

terrydel wrote: »
    The recent one with colm toiling was gas, dunphy seemed asleep at the start, then cuts in to basically turn the conversation 180 degrees, to get toiling back on point. Good lord they man can ramble on! Dunphy seemed to have little or no interest at all.

Toibin rambling on that we have loads of room in europe for migrants based off the fact east germany has a bit of space. man is off his rocker.

Brendan defending Reed Mogg for lying down in House of Commons. My god this man is losing all credibility. Saying because he’s tall, he needs to find comfort. Oh dear

Got a good laugh out of Dunphy's description of Mogg.

Notable mentions for both Wes and Andy Reid in today's football pod.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭blackwave

I know it's not strictly the Stand related but Mick Clifford who was the stand in host for Dunphy a while ago and has been a great contributor whenever he came particularly about Independent Media and Denis O'Brien's leverage on them has set up his own podcast.

It's on soundcloud and there's only one episode so far.

https://soundcloud.com/mickcliffordpodcast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭steve_r

blackwave wrote: »
    I know it's not strictly the Stand related but Mick Clifford who was the stand in host for Dunphy a while ago and has been a great contributor whenever he came particularly about Independent Media and Denis O'Brien's leverage on them has set up his own podcast.

That's very interesting. One of the best journalists in the country IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I’m liking the Bertie Ahern podcasts. Bertie comes across as very knowledgeable about what’s going on

I know, I know, he has his past but anyway I think he’s a good contributor and comes across well

The fawning is a bit much “most gifted politician of his generation bla bla” but to be expected when Dunphy is interviewing anyone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

blackwave wrote: »

Thanks for the heads up. He is excellent, great to have another quality pod on the scene

Advertisement